I don't know what to do anymore! So stressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good investment bankers then go on and invest on their own, even establish their own firms, something one cannot do in anesthesia.

That's like encouraging little Johnny to pin his hopes on football, because good football players then go on and play for the NFL, even get to the Hall Of Fame, something one cannot do in anesthesia.

People talking up the business world here have a weird sense of how low they think the bar for success is over there ...

What makes you think you - or any other doctor - has more than an outside shot at becoming a good investment banker, or a good entrepreneur, or a good MBA whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

That's not what I meant (but I did not realize that's what cognitus was referring to). I don't encourage anybody to switch from medicine to banking. But as a first choice (instead of medicine), investment banking is not that bad, especially if somebody has the inclination. (It can translate into personal wealth, too.)

You are right. In that context, of switching, it's definitely not worth it IMO. Although there are precedents of switching from medicine to the financial advisor world.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not what I meant (but I did not realize that's what cognitus was referring to). I don't encourage anybody to switch from medicine to banking. But as a first choice (instead of medicine), investment banking is not that bad, especially if somebody has the inclination. (It can translate into personal wealth, too.)

You are right. In that context, of switching, it's definitely not worth it IMO. Although there are precedents of switching from medicine to the financial advisor world.
I was referring to the hours mostly, but what pgg said is true. It's SO crazy that folks on here think they can just up and go to banking. I find that a lot of doctors I work with know NOTHING outside of medicine. Banking is mostly a pyramid structure and takes SO much of your time. The only thing I envied about I-bankers were their salary and that gets pretty old with 100 hour weeks. I tell you this much, my intern year had LESS hours than a typical banker.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't encourage anybody to switch from medicine to banking.
Wholeheartedly agree.

But as a first choice (instead of medicine), investment banking is not that bad, especially if somebody has the inclination.
But I don't really agree with that.

The payoff of a college grad deciding to go to medical school today isn't as sure a thing as it used to be, but it's still far more of a sure thing than business.

You don't need to be brilliant, or lucky, or personable, to be a doctor and reliably make a top 5% USA income (over $166K). You need to be not-stupid and you need to have a good work ethic, and that's really about it. Odds are very high there's at least one specialty everyone can fit into. Top 1-2% income isn't unreasonable for some specialties, too. What percent of US med school matriculants graduate, complete a residency, and practice? 95%?

Contrast that with ibanking business. There's luck, personal schmoozing skill, a ruthlessly competitive environment, factors completely outside your control like the economy, government regulation (hardly unique to medicine!), horrendous and unpredictable market crashes (forgotten 2008 already?), cronyism, nepotism, racism, sexism, ageism. What percent of businesses fail? 90%?

Would you have rather been an ibanker or a doctor in 2008? How about during the next crash? Maybe it'll be next week.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask yourself what you are good at? Are you good at diagnosing? talking to patients? listening and fixing their problems? seeing at least 20 -30 patients?
Anesthesia, most of the times the diagnosis is already made.
Sometimes its better that the decisions are made for you rather than you choosing the wrong field.

Back to the OP. I'd never do OB or GI.... That **** is disgusting... Couldn't pay me enough. Anesthesia 100%

Reactions: 1 user
Wholeheartedly agree.

But I don't really agree with that.

The payoff of a college grad deciding to go to medical school today isn't as sure a thing as it used to be, but it's still far more of a sure thing than business.

You don't need to be brilliant, or lucky, or personable, to be a doctor and reliably make a top 5% USA income (over $166K). You need to be not-stupid and you need to have a good work ethic, and that's really about it. Odds are very high there's at least one specialty everyone can fit into. Top 1-2% income isn't unreasonable for some specialties, too. What percent of US med school matriculants graduate, complete a residency, and practice? 95%?

Contrast that with ibanking business. There's luck, personal schmoozing skill, a ruthlessly competitive environment, factors completely outside your control like the economy, government regulation (hardly unique to medicine!), horrendous and unpredictable market crashes (forgotten 2008 already?), cronyism, nepotism, racism, sexism, ageism. What percent of businesses fail? 90%?

Would you have rather been an ibanker or a doctor in 2008? How about during the next crash? Maybe it'll be next week.

From my experience, at least ppl i know, who entered into Ibanking, they aren't really reaching for the stars when they enter. They aren't really expecting to come out on top of the competition and make millions, but they are aware that even if they don't make it to the next level, they worked hard in their young years, made a ton of money, and have more than enough to leave when the time comes to go into another area of business. Ibanking for most ppl is not long term but its a good start

Ok guys. I think OB is ruled out. I'm 3 weeks into my rotation and I just cannot see myself being happy doing this forever. I can see myself getting burnt out pretty quickly. Anesthesia may be it.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok guys. I think OB is ruled out. I'm 3 weeks into my rotation and I just cannot see myself being happy doing this forever. I can see myself getting burnt out pretty quickly. Anesthesia may be it.

Oh brother. Wait until you start doing anesthesiology...

This is all a pipe dream. Getting the ability to practice there I hear is insanely hard, even for people who trained in the US system

Getting a licence to practice is fairly simple for those with a board certificate in Pediatrics or Anesthesia, issued less than 3 years ago. The UK's GMC has approved those 2 specialties as appropriate postgrad training, but not others. However, jobs in the UK are pretty competitive, so even with a licence to practice, you may not find work.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/img_pgq_p1.asp
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_postgraduate_qualifications.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user