I double Majored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blh5793

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I had a question that has been on my mind and I didn’t know who to ask, so I thought this would be a good place to start. My undergraduate major is Healthcare Management from a University in my state. I started at the community college level because I got my GED instead of my high school diploma and therefore was ineligible to start at the university level. While I was at the community college I earned a transfer degree an (Associate of Arts). I took all business electives for my degree, my original goal was to double major with a degree in Healthcare Management and then a major in Biology. I kept that plan and now have both my bachelor’s degrees in Healthcare Management and Biology. I have all of my Medical School prerequisites plus my electives completed in my Biology Degree. My dream job is to become a Medical Director of a Hospital someday when I have several years of clinical practice under my belt. Now here we are four years later and I am seeing all of these articles saying that medical schools look down to double majoring. I really had no choice but to, I would have had to go back to school and get them done on top of my degree. If I did that, financial aid would have not paid for the courses. due to me already being graduated with my Bachelors degree. The only way they would pay for them is to double major. So with all that said, how am I going to spin this and keep it truthful to an Admissions Committee that this is why I had to do it. Also for a scenario like this will they look badly on it. Any information that you have would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since when did Adcoms look down on double majoring? That's a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I dont think they would care if you duble majorred as long as both your GPA's were good and the MCAT is within acceptable range. Please link said articles, because on face it seems absolutely idiotic that they would look down upon double majors. CC will exclude you from some schools, but keep your eyes on a reasonable target and with a decent GPA and MCAT it should be possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you site the articles? I'd like to read them for myself.
Without that information I really think you are mixing up it being pointless for med school admissions and it hurting you.

N=1 but I double majored and got in no problem, as did perhaps 1/3 of my class. Also at my UG about 1/4-1/3had a double major

Reactions: 1 user
You should be good. Just make sure your GPA is high. Your MCAT score is high. And you should do well. Double majoring will not hurt.

We don't care. That's different than "looking down on".
I can take "we don't care" vs. "look down upon" any day. I didn't do this to impress an admissions committee. I did it so I would not have to pay out of pocket for tuition, books, and fees. Thanks for the comment, I needed to here that.

Since when did Adcoms look down on double majoring? That's a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't know why the websites would say that, some of them were forums, some of them were from websites like Duke University Pre-Health advising. On a list of questions about acceptance to medical school they didn't necessarily say that the looked down upon it. But it sounded like they would not care either way. Which is fine with me I have other qualifications to get into medical school versus earning two bachelors degrees.

You should be good. Just make sure your GPA is high. Your MCAT score is high. And you should do well. Double majoring will not hurt.
Thank you for your comment. I strive to do the best I can do.

I don't know why the websites would say that, some of them were forums, some of them were from websites like Duke University Pre-Health advising. On a list of questions about acceptance to medical school they didn't necessarily say that the looked down upon it. But it sounded like they would not care either way. Which is fine with me I have other qualifications to get into medical school versus earning two bachelors degrees.
I've always been told they don't care either way (i.e., double major because you want to, not to help your app). I have never heard it is looked poorly upon for any reason (even if you did it just to help your app). It would be ridiculous to think it would be frowned upon.

Reactions: 2 users
So with all that said, how am I going to spin this and keep it truthful to an Admissions Committee that this is why I had to do it. Also for a scenario like this will they look badly on it. Any information that you have would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
You do not need to spin anything because AdComs do not look badly at double majors.

In general, AdComs are interested in sGPA, MCAT, ECs, as well as other meaningful evidence indicating your ability to succeed as a student in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users