I failed CPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just learned i got a 71 on the CPJE and have to retake the exam. On the letter, the portion patient outcomes i got a very low score. The other two areas (pharmacy operation and medications) i got average but border low average score. Please advise me. My naplex score was 107. I studied from the Rxprep, Weissman, and looked at this website for study materials. I went over the Rxprep audio and in depth reading a couple of times. For the weissman book, i read from cover to cover. I also looked at this website for studying tips/etc. But after i took the exam, nothing came even close to the exam. My studying materials did not help me at all (unlike the NAPLEX where the rxprep is an excellent source). It was so random. Any comment is appreciate. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all...take a week off.

Second...you need to make a schedule. How many chapters can you study in a week? You also have to schedule "catch-up" days because you are not a machine and you are not going to always be on schedule.

Now...the important part. You got all the right study materials. Don't study passively. Write things down, quiz yourself and use the internet to read about things that don't make sense to you. When you're not studying...ask yourself a random question to see if you can remember the MOA of a drug that you just studied and the side effects, etc...

My friend used Rxprep only and studied it twice intensely for CPJE and passed.

Good luck studying.

Last edited:
Good Morning Pharmex

Sorry to hear that you failed the CPJE :( The good news is you didnt bomb it so you know that you are definitely capable of passing. My advice to to just stick to the RxPrep book. I really think that when you bombard yourself with too many study resources its hard to focus on and remember all of the details so instead of knowing all of the details of one book you end up only knowing the basics of all of them. I used the Pass Naplex Now books and my friend the RxPrep book, what I noticed was that both books covered 90% of the same information. The important side effects and counseling points were almost identical. That leads me to believe that the information needed to pass are there you just have to memorize the details in the book. I got a 90 on the CPJE and only used that one book. I spent all of my time memorizing the details like refrigerate or not, IV compatibilities, with or without food, and major side effects and while taking the exam I saw all of the things I had learned in those books. So I guess my personal advice is to just stick to the RxPrep book and really focus on the details this time. At this point you know all the general things, now its just time to go back and spend all of your time on the details and just skim the stuff you know. Good luck and I know you can do it!:thumbup:

i used rxprep and didn't pass this time. i am planning to retake it in a couple of months. is passnaplexnow class worth the price?

Members don't see this ad :)
i used rxprep and didn't pass this time. i am planning to retake it in a couple of months. is passnaplexnow class worth the price?

I took the class prior to sitting for the exams. I passed each exam the first time. Here is what I did, I studied as much as possible by myself and for about 6 weeks. I knew I would start to forget stuff as the exam dates came closer. So I took Pass Naplex Now, it put everything together for me one last time just before taking them. I reviewed weakness' I noticed during the course for about 2 weeks then took cpje and naplex one week a part. This class overprepares you, which is good, better then going underprepared. If you ask me... would you take the PNN course again, the answer is yes absolutely the money you will spend on this course is a drop in the bucket vs failing b/c time=$$. BTW as your taking the course they scare you into studying harder, and some people need that including me. They also phone test you prior to the exam which motivates you to keep going as your beginning to get tired of studying. I am not in the position of "re-taking" the exams, but my best advice to you is to study a little differently b/c your prior strategy fell short. Whether this course or writing the info down, you need to make the material stick in your head and thats the bottome line. Good Luck

Hey SWSF,

We in the same boat. Where do you live? Maybe we can be study partners. I am in the Riverside area.

Passnaplex material is worth every single penny that you pay!! I used them for Naplex and cpje, passed them both on my first try!!

For retakers CPJE,

Do we send the retake application along with $200 fee to the board of pharmacy? Is this all? I only ask because i don't want a delay and get stuck in the QA in Dec.Anybody know this?

This is just my opinion, but using the RXPREP and APHA review book was kind of a waste of time for CPJE.

CPJE tests you the very very basic stuff that you should know working in a pharmacy. I didn't really study much, but I paid close attention of what I do in the pharmacy, and that really help me passed the test.

For the two 350 drugs, know the following:

1.Brand Name
2.Generic Name
3.Schedule (ex, RX, OTC, C-II..)
4.Must common Indicate
5.common strength and dosing frequency
6.Axillary labels that need to be on the bottle (got to know this, half of my test was on the axillary labels)
7.Must common side effects
8.Consultation points

If you pay very close attention to every drugs you fill in the pharmacy, you will pass the test.

This is just my opinion, but using the RXPREP and APHA review book was kind of a waste of time for CPJE.

CPJE tests you the very very basic stuff that you should know working in a pharmacy. I didn't really study much, but I paid close attention of what I do in the pharmacy, and that really help me passed the test.

1.Brand Name
2.Generic Name
4.Must common Indicate
6.Axillary labels that need to be on the bottle (got to know this, half of my test was on the axillary labels)
8.Consultation points

If you pay very close attention to every drugs you fill in the pharmacy, you will pass the test.

I agree with your 8 points above. Make sure you know this stuff. If you have learned it well @ work then you should have no problem. Otherwise, RxPrep is a good resource. I have taken the CPJE already. So for those of you who are going to take it, this is really good advice!

Last edited:
has anyone else learned they didnt pass and would like to say WHEN they plan on re-taking it? The CPJE exam results for this next batch of 400 students may be comming out VERY soon. So if you plan on wanting results out fast, then sign up like THIS week and that is NO joke. Otherwise, if you are in no hurry don't force yourself unless you feel confident

:) Hi everyone-
I am trying to study for CPJE. I need to pass take the test before the end of this year, but I don't know what to use as study guide. I have read all your comments and I was just wandering if someone can tell me if Pharmacy Charts, available on ebay are useful or not.
Has anyone who has passed the CPJE or has recently taken the test after the changes in April 2011, has any suggestions for me?
I appreciate any hint and recommendations.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
well, the hints given already are good. Thing is the exam is random and computer generated questions so. The state board also gives a handout that explains word per word on what they will test on so focus on that CPJE guide booklet they send to you by mail. The booklet guide also gives sample questions given to you by the board of pharmacy. So you are pretty much good to go. There is NO way in the world someone will be dumb enough (hopefully) to post information of the exam on this website or any other website as this is STRICTLY forbidden by the California board of Pharmacy and it would not be fair to anyone else taking the exam. Just stick to what is given here as tips and also what is provided by the State board and you are good to go so long as you study like there is no tomorrow :)

:) Hi everyone-
I am trying to study for CPJE. I need to pass take the test before the end of this year, but I don't know what to use as study guide. I have read all your comments and I was just wandering if someone can tell me if Pharmacy Charts, available on ebay are useful or not.
Has anyone who has passed the CPJE or has recently taken the test after the changes in April 2011, has any suggestions for me?
I appreciate any hint and recommendations.:)

Don't think I would have passed without my ebay pharmacy charts. Not passing the first time was a humbling experience. I am just glad that it is over! g'luck to those still studying/waiting for results. Focus on what you need to study on and you will do well.

Don't think I would have passed without my ebay pharmacy charts. Not passing the first time was a humbling experience. I am just glad that it is over! g'luck to those still studying/waiting for results. Focus on what you need to study on and you will do well.

I think you are either the direct seller of the charts or you are working for them. Please stop posting the same message. :laugh:

Doesn't matter what you think. I was selling my study materials. I posted an classified ad in the forum a few days ago and they have been sold.

Half of your exam is on axillary labels? R you serious? Is this true?

Last edited:

1.Brand Name
2.Generic Name
4.Must common Indicate
8.Consultation points

This is excellent advise and exactly how I would study!

I agree with your 8 points above. Make sure you know this stuff. If you have learned it well @ work then you should have no problem. Otherwise, RxPrep is a good resource. I have taken the CPJE already. So for those of you who are going to take it, this is really good advice!

Rxprep is good but pass naplex now is better. Yes, pass naplex now is more expensive. The lectures are very comprehensive and you get what you paid for. Just my 2 cents

Rxprep is good but pass naplex now is better. Yes, pass naplex now is more expensive. The lectures are very comprehensive and you get what you paid for. Just my 2 cents

I've actually attended the PassNaplexNow lectures and have read the the course book several times. But while studying for the CPJE and having already taken the CPJE, I found some things in the RxPrep course book that was nicely emphasized that PassNaplexNow did NOT have...that was actually on my CPJE exam!

I have also had friends who took the RxPrep lectures only & loved it and did well on NAPLEX & CPJE.

I am just saying RxPrep is a good prep source for CPJE...and yeah most students cannot afford to pay like $1200 for PassNaplexNow whereas RxPrep is like $500 (with a student discount).

So it's just personal preference whatever you study better with. That's my 2cents.

Hey All,
I have passed NAPLEX and been practicing for ~ 11 months in hospital setting in midwest. I have scheduled my exam for a month from today.
Can anyone break down proportion-wise how much time to invest in law vs clinical?
Thank you; good luck to all :)

I'm due to graduate soon but all I've heard is that it's mainly clinical. That, and once you register for the exam, i think they send you a prep/review sheet with questions - Do those questions as some of them will be reused on the actual exam. Uh, hope that helps

Good Morning Pharmex

Sorry to hear that you failed the CPJE :( The good news is you didnt bomb it so you know that you are definitely capable of passing. My advice to to just stick to the RxPrep book. I really think that when you bombard yourself with too many study resources its hard to focus on and remember all of the details so instead of knowing all of the details of one book you end up only knowing the basics of all of them. I used the Pass Naplex Now books and my friend the RxPrep book, what I noticed was that both books covered 90% of the same information. The important side effects and counseling points were almost identical. That leads me to believe that the information needed to pass are there you just have to memorize the details in the book. I got a 90 on the CPJE and only used that one book. I spent all of my time memorizing the details like refrigerate or not, IV compatibilities, with or without food, and major side effects and while taking the exam I saw all of the things I had learned in those books. So I guess my personal advice is to just stick to the RxPrep book and really focus on the details this time. At this point you know all the general things, now its just time to go back and spend all of your time on the details and just skim the stuff you know. Good luck and I know you can do it!:thumbup:
Hello Scared2,

What was your study strategy in memorizing details such as drug storage conditions, IV compatibility, drugs to take w/ or w/o food, IV:pO conversion ratio, common drug strength & dosing, drugs requiring renal impairment dose adjustment, etc? I also used RxPrep, but this program doesn't give me the strategies in making these details stick & their online question bank doesn't ask much about these areas either. Thanks.

I also failed CPJE the 1st time. I used RxPrep 2012 coursebook and online question bank. My study methods were the following:
1. I read & hand wrote outlines for each disease state, took the corresponding online quiz & used my outline or other sources to find answers to questions that I couldn't answer off memory, & made flashcards for hard to memorize info.
2. For the online questions that I answered incorrectly, I wrote down the correct answer.
3. Regarding the topic lectures, I only listened to lectures on disease state that I was unfamiliar with & ignored the rest
3. 3 wks before the CPJE, I redid the RxPrep online quizzes & answer questions solely off my memory.

I don't know what new study strategy I should use to increase my retention of pharmacy info & pass the CPJE the 2nd time. Should I stick with RxPrep or use another study aid? Some have recommended PassNaplexNow, but I'm not sure if this will be effective since they offer live lectures & I may miss certain information unless I'm intensely concentrating & taking accurate notes (& I can't do this for 10hrs a day). Plus, I'm not sure how PassNaplexNow is different than RxPrep. Does ProntoPass have mnemonics to help with hard-to-memorize info like drug storage conditions, IV compatibility, drugs to take w/ or w/o food, IV:pO conversion ratio, common drug strength & dosing, drugs requiring renal impairment dose adjustment, etc? If not, does anyone know of a pharmacy study guide w/ good mnemonics for these drug details? Thanks a bunch.

I used RxPrep 2012 book, RxPrep question bank, and Weissman. These were sufficient for me to pass both the NAPLEX and CPJE, and I'm an out of state grad.

CPJE - out of 90 questions, I got about 10-12 law questions, a few simple math questions, and the rest practical clinical questions. Hope this helps! There have already been some excellent study tips on this thread. Good luck everyone :)

Thanks to those who gave the study tips! I have RxPrep and Weissman altho I haven't started reading the law book as yet. I know I have to review the RxPrep book all over again while waiting for my CPJE eligibility. I hope these 2 books would be good enough for me to pass the CPJE. I'm kinda scared as I've read so many people saying that CPJE is more difficult than the NAPLEX!

You are absolutely right, CPJE is a mind twister, extremely clinical in a very weird way, there is nothing standard about this exam, expect anything and everything. Pay close attention to details on all topics. 95% of this examination is clinical with very little emphasis on pharmacy practice law. NAPLEX pales in comparison with CPJE, however you will still need all the NAPLEX knowledge without the calculations, and then some more. This is a practical examination only on paper. You could as well be in a real pharmacy doing the real pharmacy staff.

I used the Rxprep 2011, however if you can lay your hands on the 2012 version may be better, I also looked at the PassNaplexNow material, this maybe too many references but believe you me it is necessary to pass CPJE. And of course the Weissman law book is superb resource for the law questions although they are very few. Finally, on the exam day, just bring with you everything and anything you know in pharmacy because you will need it. And one more thing on this day, bring your luck charm, you will also need that one too. Be confident, take time to understand the question and rationalize as well as you can, when you are not sure pls remain calm and let your mind work without panic, of course be ware that time is of essence. BUT DON"T PANIC!!!
Good luck and may God bless.

Dont be too afraid, you will make it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, Fowadluking! :) I do have the Weissman although I haven't opened it yet and the RxPrep 2012 book and vid, both I found very stimulating especially for a foreign grad like me, who graduated so long ago! With NAPLEX, I rushed with my last 3 questions cause I was running out of time, unlike the others here who had like 2 hours more to spare. I hope I won't run out in CPJE! And I'll remember to get some kind of a four-leaf clover or something! :)

To all,
Just keep studying. For some reason California is a strange state when it come to licensing Pharmacists.I believe that there is too much supply, from too many schools.
I had never heard of a state doing a QA and postponing grades.This is so senseless.
Does everyone know everything about the morning after pill? Who can you dispense it too Male or Female or both and at what age, counseling etc.
Also, who may offer patient counselling-If you answered the pharmacist you are wrong.
People say that the law is tricky, I say read every word atleast twice.

Anybody over the age of 18 (male or female.) can obtain the morning after pill from a pharmacist without a prescription, the pharmacist would be acting on a specific protocol or a statewide protocol that authorizes pharmacists to provide the pill accompanied with appropriate counselling. I would refer you to Weisssman as the book explains very clearly the correct and legal procedure on this specific issue. It even includes the very specific counselling points word for word and other issues like who else can provide this pill.I believe other health providers can also counsel clients on the pill.Why not?

Hi radiopulse,
You better start opening the pages of your Weissman, I found the book as excellent and easy read for the CPJE law section. I read it from cover to cover and answered all the questions at the back of the book. Mostly I did this because the book is very well written and really interesting if you are interested in understanding the California Pharmacy law which I was, both for exam. purposes and also for general knowledge. I too am a foreign grad who graduated from pharmacy school much earlier than you did but still hanging in there. I have recently passed both NAPLEX and CPJE and awaiting my licence. What worries me is what next after the licencing? Every job I look at they need a Pharm D. or a BSc. from an accredited pharmacy school, which is a euphemism for saying the employer will only be interested in pharmacist educated here in the USA. This really worries me, does it worry you so?

It does worry me. Actually, I just had a conversation with someone about this this morning, uncertainties and all that. But right now, I'm worried about the CPJE more than anything else. When I was preparing for the NAPLEX, I was in so much stress, I had headaches every single day maybe because I was not used to studying so much details in so long so right after the exam, I was so relieved that it was over! I'm just taking things one step at a time, otherwise, with this kind of stress management, I might lose it! lol Well, I wish you all the best! There is something out there for us, we just need to keep praying and looking for that something :) I hope you find it soon! Keep us posted. About Weissman, I promised myself to study for the law part this week, I'm kinda bad with comprehension maybe so I need to try to read and understand things better I guess.

I agree, we all need to tackle each issue at a time, there was a time for NAPLEX and once that hurdle is done, then worry about CPJE , and finally worry about jobs. That is the logical way of doing this grueling journey because trying to tackle everything all together will just be too much stress not good for anybody's health. When are you planning to test.? It appeared to me like 4 to 6 weeks after NAPLEX was adequate time to prepare for CPJE so that you don't quite forget much of the material you already have from NAPLEX but you also have enough time to study law and add some more clinical material to your arsenal.
I also thought it was very helpful to do the CPJE sample questions at the back of the candidate examination bulletin sent to you by PSI. There is also another CPJE sample test on the CA BoP website, I really think it helps to go through these exercises.
Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'll study for around that time or a little bit more so hopefully around December.
I'll do that, I'll study the bulletin they sent me and whatever else I can get a hold of to help me out. Thanks for the tips! =)

I agree, we all need to tackle each issue at a time, there was a time for NAPLEX and once that hurdle is done, then worry about CPJE , and finally worry about jobs. That is the logical way of doing this grueling journey because trying to tackle everything all together will just be too much stress not good for anybody's health. When are you planning to test.? It appeared to me like 4 to 6 weeks after NAPLEX was adequate time to prepare for CPJE so that you don't quite forget much of the material you already have from NAPLEX but you also have enough time to study law and add some more clinical material to your arsenal.
I also thought it was very helpful to do the CPJE sample questions at the back of the candidate examination bulletin sent to you by PSI. There is also another CPJE sample test on the CA BoP website, I really think it helps to go through these exercises.
Best of luck.

Thank you very much for sharing your tips and secrets.

I support your advice by including SAMPLE CPJE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERs here (Note: sometimes, the SAMPLE QUESTIONS are at the end of PDF file, please read at bottom of file.)
I found them so you can save time and study more:
Please help others. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• CPJE, SAMPLE EXAM, 2014, phy_handbook_psi Copy.pdf
    476 KB · Views: 936
  • CPJE, SAMPLE QUESTION LEGAL, 2004, cpjeHandbook.pdf
    683.5 KB · Views: 696
  • CPJE, SAMPLE QUESTIONS, LEGAL, 2010, sample_cpje_quest.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 729
  • CPJE, SAMPLE QUESTIONS, LEGAL, 2010, sample_cpje_quest_more.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 700
OTHER POSTER WROTE:
Also, who may offer patient counselling
If you answered the pharmacist you are wrong.
People say that the law is tricky, I say read every word at least twice.
Naplesmark, Sep 26, 2012

YOU ANSWERED:
Anybody over the age of 18 (male or female.) can obtain the morning after pill from a pharmacist without a prescription, the pharmacist would be acting on a specific protocol or a statewide protocol that authorizes pharmacists to provide the pill accompanied with appropriate counselling. I would refer you to Weisssman as the book explains very clearly the correct and legal procedure on this specific issue. It even includes the very specific counselling points word for word and other issues like who else can provide this pill.I believe other health providers can also counsel clients on the pill.Why not?

My contribution:
My friends,
The trick word is OFFER.
That was a trick.
By law, we do NOT OFFER counsel.
We COUNSEL. Then, if patient refuses (maybe because patients runs out of time, in a hurry, or heard counsel already, or read already, or pharmacist themselves.....), then, and only then, we STOP COUNSEL.
That's how the board wants. The board wants: NO MORE OFFER to counsel. Just START TO COUNSEL. Just counsel, no asking if you want me to counsel.
Chain pharmacy are training a lot of stores lately because the board inspector is secretly standing around register and listen and if no counsel was done for new script, inspector gave fine of 10 thousand dollars. (I am sorry, I do not know who will pay the fine. But, the fine happened for sure.)
What is new script? if printout shows new script (even if this script is a new script for existing medication with same instruction with same quantity......if printout shows new script, then, script is new, then, must counsel).
In summary, if counsel must be done, then:
Tech must ask pharmacist to counsel.
If pharmacist is alone and is selling the medication, pharmacist must open mouth and counsel verbally.
NO MORE ASKING THIS QUESTION: Do you want to get counsel?

I hope I helped you and our lovely friends save 10 thousand dollars anywhere you work: independent or chain. Please help others....Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Also, who may offer patient counselling-If you answered the pharmacist you are wrong.

So is the answer, anybody can offer to counsel? Or would there be an answer choice along the lines of what molyhelp said, like "Pharmacists do not offer counsel".

So is the answer, anybody can offer to counsel? Or would there be an answer choice along the lines of what molyhelp said, like "Pharmacists do not offer counsel".

Sorry, I did not make my point clear:
At this point, because pharmacy board is very hot to find and fine for "mistake of no counseling", NOBODY can OFFER counseling. Pharmacist must "counsel". No more such action as "offer to counsel".

If the script is new, if you are pharmacist, you open your mouth and you counsel.
If the script is new, if you are NOT pharmacist, you call a pharmacist over to counsel.

If the script is new, we are told to never ask patient like this anymore:
Do you want counseling? We are not allowed to ask this kind of question anymore.
Do you want consultation? We are not allowed to ask this kind of question anymore.
Would you like to talk to pharmacist about your new medication? We are not allowed to ask this kind of question anymore.
Do you want pharmacist to talk to you about your new medication? We are not allowed to ask this kind of question anymore.
(As well, experienced intern can counsel if pharmacist is directly in pharmacy.)

In summary, on the printout that patient takes home (which the board inspector will see as well), if the word NEW exists, consultation must be done or someone is going to pay 10 thousand dollars.

First of all...take a week off.

Second...you need to make a schedule. How many chapters can you study in a week? You also have to schedule "catch-up" days because you are not a machine and you are not going to always be on schedule.

Now...the important part. You got all the right study materials. Don't study passively. Write things down, quiz yourself and use the internet to read about things that don't make sense to you. When you're not studying...ask yourself a random question to see if you can remember the MOA of a drug that you just studied and the side effects, etc...

My friend used Rxprep only and studied it twice intensely for CPJE and passed.

Good luck studying.
Did your friend use the RxPrep NAPLEX course to study or did they use the RxPrep CPJE coursebook?

Good Morning Pharmex

When you say RxPrep book are you referring to the RxPrep Naplex book or the RxPrep CPJE?

I used RxPrep 2012 book, RxPrep question bank, and Weissman. These were sufficient for me to pass both the NAPLEX and CPJE, and I'm an out of state grad.

CPJE - out of 90 questions, I got about 10-12 law questions, a few simple math questions, and the rest practical clinical questions. Hope this helps! There have already been some excellent study tips on this thread. Good luck everyone :)
When you say you used RxPrep are you referring to the RxPrep Naplex coursebook or the RxPrep for CPJE course book?