I feel like I'm going to be screened out before I get a chance :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterwampatoga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you guys saw my previous thread, you know a lot about me.

I made one major mistake though, miscalculating the GPA I will likely graduate with. Instead of a 3.45, I think I will have closer to a 3.15 cGPA. There is an upward trend from B's and C's freshman AND sophomore year to B's junior year and hopefully A's senior year.
My practice MCAT scores are good, averaging about 38 and I got a 41 on the latest practice test.

My extracurricular are good in my opinion. To sum them up:
I will have about 2,000 clinical hours (nearly 1,500 as an EMT)
300+ volunteer hours
100+ shadowing
3 years of leadership at the American Red Cross club at my school
low research

Most importantly, I have decided that during my year off, I want to get my MPH at a 1 year program.

But I feel like I'm just going to be screened out for my GPA :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll have much better chances at DO schools rather than MD schools. The latter would be happier with you acing everything since your nadir, not Bs one year and As the next. However, there are schools that prefer the last 2-3 years of performance, so you might have some chance with them, especially with a killer MCAT score.

If you guys saw my previous thread, you know a lot about me.

I made one major mistake though, miscalculating the GPA I will likely graduate with. Instead of a 3.45, I think I will have closer to a 3.15 cGPA. There is an upward trend from B's and C's freshman AND sophomore year to B's junior year and hopefully A's senior year.
My practice MCAT scores are good, averaging about 38 and I got a 41 on the latest practice test.

My extracurricular are good in my opinion. To sum them up:
I will have about 2,000 clinical hours (nearly 1,500 as an EMT)
300+ volunteer hours
100+ shadowing
3 years of leadership at the American Red Cross club at my school
low research

Most importantly, I have decided that during my year off, I want to get my MPH at a 1 year program.

But I feel like I'm just going to be screened out for my GPA :(

High MCAT + low GPA is better than the reverse, but you'll need to explain why. Did you go to a notoriously tough school? You don't want them to think you're smart but lazy. If you can nail an upward trend, you can just say you had trouble adjusting at first, but you aced your senior year's upper-level sciences.

I'd still apply to some MCAT-friendly MD programs if you get a legendary score like 39+ and didn't ace your senior year. The ECs are nice and show dedication to the healthcare field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how did you see such a drastic drop in GPA? Isn't cGPA the one they give you on your transcripts?

i think you're being overly paranoid