I feel like I've been doing this all wrong...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Idk why but I feel like I've been studying every day in terms of content review over the past month and a half, but then I realize I haven't even covered much ground, and I have no idea how.

I began actual mcat content review March 1, but by content review I mean I might have watched a few of Chad's videos, but overall just dove into passages and tried to reason my way through them, post gaming the next day, and moving on.

Long story short, my exam is on May 22. I'm still yet to cover thermo, kinetics, carbonyls and reactions, mendelian genetics, electrochem, light and optics, and waves (I know, quite a chunk of missing content). I went ahead and decided to take Kaplan Fl1 2 weeks ago and scored 9,8,7 (scored 80% on verbal but an 8? wtf lol) I feel like I do well in terms of just reasoning/reading to get the right answer, but it seems like I just still have enormous gaps in straight content understanding. Like I would do much better on passages than I would on discreets.

Is 3 weeks long enough to solidify those gaps before going into AAMCs? (I will say I've done much better on the Official Guide passages than I have on secondaries) and based on my kaplan1 score despite the lack of content review, is that any reason at all to feel optimistic? I guess I just feel down about how I've gone about preparing for this thing and want to make sure I'm in a good place and still have plenty of time to make sure I get my target score of 31-32 on test day.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have time!
Don't worry, just get things done. My advice since you have limited time start with what you know the least. Your list of topics doesn't even seem that big to me. Plus when you start FLs you can still be solidifying your content knowledge.

Also, personally not a fan of Kaplan for diagnostic purposes because I think its a lot harder. So the score you got before you finished content review isn't bad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree you have time. I have the same issue stressing and worried if I will get to my target score but my co-worker told me something that really helped me. He said "don't let your stress out weight your work" He told me if I stress for two hours, I need to study two extra hours lol Make a long story short it will workout just stick to your schedule, you will have good and bad days but it will pay off :)

You have plenty of time, I assure you. My exam is in 10 days and I have a few orgo chapters left myself :)

Keep working hard, try not to fall behind, remain diligent, and you will get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have plenty of time, I assure you. My exam is in 10 days and I have a few orgo chapters left myself :)

Keep working hard, try not to fall behind, remain diligent, and you will get there.

Thanks :) I noticed your post about flashcards I have about 350 just over various PS concepts When you review, do you randomize your cards or do you do section by section.

Like I have one section labeled "fluids/solids/SHM" and another "acids/bases/titrations" etc... I'm just wondering if it's best if I mix them all up or what not

Thanks :) I noticed your post about flashcards I have about 350 just over various PS concepts When you review, do you randomize your cards or do you do section by section.

Like I have one section labeled "fluids/solids/SHM" and another "acids/bases/titrations" etc... I'm just wondering if it's best if I mix them all up or what not

I use the Anki program which randomizes them for me, based on how well I have indicated that I know each card. The ones I know the best come up less frequently; the ones I have less confidence with will come up more frequently. My deck is very large, so I only review about 100 per night.

In my prep, I used anki too to help retain information (I had like almost 1000 cards, around half with pretty detailed info, pics, corresponding questions, EK osmosis audio etc), but nothing helps better than repeated practice passages and questions. Some difficult concepts I would forget even if i anki'ed them if different ways. I recall having done 4-5 passages dealing with that difficult concept and learned thoroughly from it and now that concept comes easy to me, even now.