I feel like my personality does not fit in with other dentists/dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefoxsaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Many of my friends would describe my personality as very outgoing, bubbly and extraverted. Most of my friends (so people that I get along with and are like me) have gone into careers or grad school for careers that cater to those types of characteristics --acting, business, marketing, law, sales, politics, news media, etc. I have always been interested in that kind of stuff too, but I chose to go into dentistry because I thought dentistry would fit that personality type too (and I've always wanted to be a dentist). I mean we have to interact with so many patients every day, I thought it would be the perfect profession for people who are extremely outgoing and who are also interested in science and health.

I am currently in dental school and now I fear that I am wrong about my personality being good for dentistry. It seems that most dental students and dentists I know are introverted (I'm not saying they are not social--because they are and love to have a good time--but they are not extremely extroverted like me). I don't want to sound rude but generally many of these people have a more subdued or inward personality and it's hard to really describe, but I just don't enjoy their company because I feel so different from them. I mean I get along with them and have friends in school, but I don't connect with them the way I connect with other types of people.

Because I feel like I've met so little people like me, I'm scared that perhaps dentistry may not suit my personality? I've talked to my non-dental friends about it, and they agree with my observations about dentistry but they also said I should stick with it and that my personality type could be an asset.

I am not trying to bash dentists or dental students, but I really don't know how to fit in my personality with the "typical" personality of those in dental school. I never thought I would face this problem but I really don't feel like I'm similar to a lot of people in the profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well it's a good thing you'll be treating everyday people as patients instead of students then, right? The students are just along for your ride.

Aberrant logic coupled with unwarranted feelings of superiority:thinking:. Trolling or not hopefully in for years or less you'll have grown out of it. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
Many of my friends would describe my personality as very outgoing, bubbly and extraverted. Most of my friends (so people that I get along with and are like me) have gone into careers or grad school for careers that cater to those types of characteristics --acting, business, marketing, law, sales, politics, news media, etc. I have always been interested in that kind of stuff too, but I chose to go into dentistry because I thought dentistry would fit that personality type too (and I've always wanted to be a dentist). I mean we have to interact with so many patients every day, I thought it would be the perfect profession for people who are extremely outgoing and who are also interested in science and health.

I am currently in dental school and now I fear that I am wrong about my personality being good for dentistry. It seems that most dental students and dentists I know are introverted (I'm not saying they are not social--because they are and love to have a good time--but they are not extremely extroverted like me). I don't want to sound rude but generally many of these people have a more subdued or inward personality and it's hard to really describe, but I just don't enjoy their company because I feel so different from them. I mean I get along with them and have friends in school, but I don't connect with them the way I connect with other types of people.

Because I feel like I've met so little people like me, I'm scared that perhaps dentistry may not suit my personality? I've talked to my non-dental friends about it, and they agree with my observations about dentistry but they also said I should stick with it and that my personality type could be an asset.

I am not trying to bash dentists or dental students, but I really don't know how to fit in my personality with the "typical" personality of those in dental school. I never thought I would face this problem but I really don't feel like I'm similar to a lot of people in the profession.
Most high IQ people are introverts and youre in the minority that isnt, but that isnt cause for you to doubt yourself. You know some people think introversion is a bad trait for a dentist and they wish they were more extroverted. Your personality should suit you well in the future. Assuming you actually think before you speak (a prob many extroverts have), youll have tremendous potential on the business side of things.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel the opposite is true in my case. I'm fairly introverted (but I can put on an extroverted "act" for patients), and I feel as though my classmates are much more extroverted than me, which I think will benefit them in the future. I feel that I am too passive to be able to haggle prices, fire an employee, etc. I am working on this. Your personality should help you as a business owner.

I know incredibly bubbly and outgoing dentists. Keep in mind that you'll be catering to the general public and they're the ones who determine whether they like your personality or not. Don't worry about your peers. Don't ostracize yourself, and don't become a pariah, but don't worry about them too much. It's 4 years and then you're gone and so are they. If you've worked this hard to get in, don't let a perceived difference throw you off now. That being said, have you gotten over your dislike of the first few weeks, or is this a redirection of your truly being unhappy?

If you know the material and are a competent dentist then a extreme extroverted personality will do nothing but help you... Can't believe you need a forum to tell you this though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it. I've been in the profession for over 30 years with my extraverted personality. I find most patients like it, but of course there are some individuals where you have to turn it down. The skill is knowing when to tune it down. ;-)

Aberrant logic coupled with unwarranted feelings of superiority:thinking:. Trolling or not hopefully in for years or less you'll have grown out of it. GL

I didn't get the same vibe. I just think the OP is a little worried that they are not connecting with their classmates - seems like a legitimate concern to me. That said, there is nothing wrong with an outgoing dentist.

Reactions: 1 user
today, that doesn't hold true anymore...i think a lot of predents and newly grads are very much extroverted or can at least act as if they are...it's a people's business and actual dentistry is just the technical portion of the job...the worst combo would be an outgoing personality with potatoes for brains and sausages for fingers

Last edited: