I feel like this is a dumb question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepcalm2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
But what do medical schools mean in their secondaries by "Explain gaps in your education." I finished an academic enhancement post-bac program and I'm applying to medical school now. I started my post-bac program right after finishing my undergrad degree, so I guess I didn't really have a 'gap' in my education. Do I explain how I transitioned from a mediocre GPA in undergrad to a 4.0 post-bac GPA for this question or do I address that somewhere else? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

That's not a gap in your education. It would be a different matter if the question asks what you've been doing since graduation from college, what you plan to do while applying to medical school, or something else along those lines. Here, it seems the reader is only interested in any periods of time when you were not enrolled in an academic program, and if you started a post-bac right after undergrad, then you (based on this information) haven't had any. Don't answer a question that isn't asked.

If there is a gap in education - meaning if you graduated in 2011, and started a formal SMP in 2013 - they want to know what you were doing from 2011 to 2013. Were you working? Were you on an international mission for the peace corp or teaching inner city children for Americorp? Or were you in prison serving out a felony conviction and are trying to hide that fact from the adcom? Stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

But what do medical schools mean in their secondaries by "Explain gaps in your education." I finished an academic enhancement post-bac program and I'm applying to medical school now. I started my post-bac program right after finishing my undergrad degree, so I guess I didn't really have a 'gap' in my education. Do I explain how I transitioned from a mediocre GPA in undergrad to a 4.0 post-bac GPA for this question or do I address that somewhere else? Thank you!

Ah I see. Thank you guys. I guess this entire application process is making me extra paranoid/lose my mind.

Just curious if you dropped out of high school for a year would this be a gap in education that needs to be listed? I only ask because they don't usually care about anything from high school...right?