I figured out how dental schools pick applicants for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getintodentalschool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They first apply a DAT and GPA cut off, then put everyones name into a hat (the old school way, now they just use computers), then allow the computer to spit out names until all the spots are full. Anyone care to agree?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ha ha that's funny. First they throw out applicants who don't follow directions. The most important part of this whole process is following directions, paying attention to detail, and being punctual. You would be surprised at how many applicants get tossed because of the lack of following directions. Next is the actual application. Some school have a system where under a certain GPA or DAT gets thrown out. Some don't. After figuring out who they want to interview, they invite students. Some will show up late. Some will not show. No showing is dangerous because school will communicate with each other so what you do at one school could get back to another. That was straight out of an adcom members mouth. The minute you park your car on campus for your interview you are being watched. Everyone is a potential insider including other applicants so be careful. Then comes the interview. The over prepared or clueless get thrown out. They basically want to meet you and see if you really want to be their. After that, they pretty much have it down.

Reactions: 2 users
i have this theory that SOME schools disregard applicants with super high GPAs and/or DAT scores because they think that they will get so many offers and dont want to waste their time.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i have this theory that SOME schools disregard applicants with super high GPAs and/or DAT scores because they think that they will get so many offers and dont want to waste their time.

I know for a fact that is true.

Reactions: 1 user
They first apply a DAT and GPA cut off, then put everyones name into a hat (the old school way, now they just use computers), then allow the computer to spit out names until all the spots are full. Anyone care to agree?
It's pretty common knowledge that they use a Sorting Hat.

Reactions: 19 users
Ha ha that's funny. First they throw out applicants who don't follow directions. The most important part of this whole process is following directions, paying attention to detail, and being punctual. You would be surprised at how many applicants get tossed because of the lack of following directions. Next is the actual application. Some school have a system where under a certain GPA or DAT gets thrown out. Some don't. After figuring out who they want to interview, they invite students. Some will show up late. Some will not show. No showing is dangerous because school will communicate with each other so what you do at one school could get back to another. That was straight out of an adcom members mouth. The minute you park your car on campus for your interview you are being watched. Everyone is a potential insider including other applicants so be careful. Then comes the interview. The over prepared or clueless get thrown out. They basically want to meet you and see if you really want to be their. After that, they pretty much have it down.
I like the thought of admissions folk hiding in the bushes and peering at us around corners with mouth mirrors. Guess I shouldn't have parked my 10 year old Mazda diagonally across two handicap spaces to protect it from dings. I'll have to remember that for next cycle!

I am sure they keep tabs with every interaction you have, still, you'd have to do something pretty serious to stand out.

I also found out schools have a random rejection generator on their computers. That is why people with good stats get rejected out the bat.

The minute you park your car on campus for your interview you are being watched. Everyone is a potential insider including other applicants so be careful.

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 10.58.20 AM.png

Reactions: 1 users
I was actually told this by a school a few weeks ago. It had been several months since I had applied and by all indications, I should have received an interview. So I called to ask why and, after some beating around the bush, I asked if they assumed I would accept an offer to my state school over them. And she said yes. She made two very large assumptions, which is a little surprising to me. There are no guarantees with dental school admissions, so that seems like a pretty large gamble for them to make for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
:rolleyes:

Just because someone has a 4.0 and a 22 doesn't mean the school wants you.

Agreed, but usually they would have to interview you to figure it out. Unless the personal statement was horrible or something like that

I knew it!!!!!

Well glad my stats are average. 3.5gpa and 20 AA. every school thinks id accept an offer from them (not rly) 6 interviews so far! :D i really think if i would have gotten a 24 AA i would have less interviews

honestly though i had never heard of tufts syndrome or yield protection before....

Agreed, but usually they would have to interview you to figure it out. Unless the personal statement was horrible or something like that

I knew I shouldn't have started out my essay with "In west Philadelphia born and raised...."

Reactions: 4 users
Well... I'd like to think that I should try my best regardless, go through all the hoops, and feel like I deserve it when I get in. That's my personal opinion.

Someone wouldn't let another applicant ride with them to the airport and a dental student noticed and told. That student didn't get in.

I like the thought of admissions folk hiding in the bushes and peering at us around corners with mouth mirrors. Guess I shouldn't have parked my 10 year old Mazda diagonally across two handicap spaces to protect it from dings. I'll have to remember that for next cycle!

I am sure they keep tabs with every interaction you have, still, you'd have to do something pretty serious to stand out.
Youtube the ucdavis dental admissions panel. You tell me if I am lying.

Youtube the ucdavis dental admissions panel. You tell me if I am lying.
I don't doubt you. Like I said, I am sure they keep tabs. And it's probably easy for the interviews that involve small groups of students. For the large interview I attended they would need a large army of people. The people conducting these interviews have a lot going on to keep track of besides every single interaction among applicants, staff and students. So my feeling is that if someone is courteous, attentive, and has a positive attitude they have nothing to worry about. Now, if you tell a fellow applicant that they asked a stupid question, pissed off a cab driver enough to make them go inside and tell the front desk, or have a fight over sharing a cab, well, yes, this stands out big time. On the other hand, if I bump into someone or I'm a second late holding a door for someone, I don't want to be so amped up that I can't get it off my mind.

This is a very stressful process with a lot of hoops to jump through. We are all trying in every way to be the perfect applicant, but the fact is that none of us is perfect. There is a tendency to get overwhelmed with anxiety and hyper analyze every thing we do. I've caught myself doing it many times. If anything, this hurts you at the interview because you won't be able to relax. I think it's best to let the small things go and just do the best you can.

I'd like to think it's more sophisticated than that.

Like where they put your name into clear, plastic, clear balls (not unlike the ones they use in the lottery ... actually, excatly like those, yeah those are nice) then hit that button that suctions a ball into the lotter- class slot.

I always liked the suction sounds those machine make. I'd honored and completely be fine with getting accepted or rejected that way.

I bet these lottery machines are locked up in the basement of every school