I got a C in pchem. Is it bad to get a rec from that professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

come2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any bio profs you know that might write one for you? I mean. If they don't know you they generally just write something like Johnny in my class got this mark and he I would rank him to be in this percentile in my class.

I mean if he writes that you got a C, I'm not sure how well that would go. Try finding a prof that you got an A in or a B in. Atleast if they write you a generic letter it wouldn't be as bad. An A in a generic letter is better than a C.

Just my suggestion

Yes it well look bad. don't get letter from this professor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
If they don't remember or know you well, meet with them in person with all of the info and let them read your personal statement to round out their letters of rec.

Actually, from the workshops I've attended, having a professor from a class you got a C in write you letter could be a potentially greeat thing. But that would only be true if the guy knew you.

The two classic examples of letters are those that say "This student dominated the class and needed no assistance whatsoever, passed with flying colors, and is an ace. Accept him now because he'll kick ass." And the ones that say, "This student worked incredibly hard and showed extreme initiative. He came to me every single day and did an insane amount of practice problems and showed a great passion in his work. Accept him now because he'll work his ass off." And getting a C in a class when you did everything you could to succeed fits into the latter category.

But if the guy has no idea what you did or who you are, no matter what grade you got it wouldn't make for a good letter, even if you were ranked First in the class.

as long as the professor can write you a VERY GOOD letter i dont see why not~
I don't know if professors include the grade I got in the course but..idk

if it is the only letter you can get then... having some letter is better than having nothing
i agree that it is the hardest part of the application
good luck