I got an Externship!!!! :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDball2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have officially landed a 4th year externship!!! I am super duper excited!! I will be moving from AZ to WA in May!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Sweetness! What type of setting? Are they going to pay you?

It is a Speech and Hearing Clinic that is very well established and has been in the area for 30+ years. They do hearing aids, vestib, CAPD testing, newborn hearing tests, and lots of community outreach. They have 4 AuD's and 3 office locations, 1 of which is at a hospital. I love the people that I have talked to there, they are so friendly and laid back. It seems like a great fit for me :)

They arent paying, and the reason for that is that the majority of their income is from hearing aids and they dont want to make their externs have to sell a certain number of hearing aids each month to get paid. This keeps the extern from focusing on selling and lets them really focus on the project that they need to complete, and other experiences that dont involve sales such as vestib testing. So I am ok with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!! You must be so relieved! Now you can focus on finishing up your last semester of classes without worrying about going on interviews!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! You must be so relieved! Now you can focus on finishing up your last semester of classes without worrying about going on interviews!

Yes it is very nice to have the search and wait over with. I am very excited! Now I only have to make it through comps in March (yak)

Congratulations! That was smart to get this done a head of time. ;) I hope that you can share your tips and experiences here and let us know how it all goes.

Congratulations! That was smart to get this done a head of time. ;) I hope that you can share your tips and experiences here and let us know how it all goes.

Most of the due dates for applications were Nov 1st-15th, but this place was really on top of their interviews and such so shortly after I turned in my application I had my interviews. If you are a 2nd year I would recommend just keeping your eyes and ears open for externship opportunities because the applications can be pretty intense depending on where you apply--like 3 copies of transcripts and 3 letters of recommendation and always a letter of intent/cover letter and a very nice resume/CV. So it is a lot to work on in a few months if you are prepared for it.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to remember that when I enter my 2nd year. Enjoy your winter break and relax! :D

congratulations audball~ it's a very exciting and stressful time indeed. i'm currently an extern and i remember the whole waiting game. sadly, application process for jobs will soon begin again. sigh..

Congratulations! I wish you the very best in your career!

Congratulations!!! It's a big accomplishment and must be a weight off your shoulders.