Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

I got my USMLE Step 1 scores back!

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Fanconi, 08.11.01.

1. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    And, actually, I'm very happy with them. That's weird for me. Usually I freak out about this kind of stuff, but I'm feeling good.

How are some of you other newly M3s feeling about your scores? Do you feel you got the score you deserved? What would you have done differently?

The same goes for those of you who've suffered through the MCAT. Did things go your way? What would you have done differently in your studying?

I just want to give a little ray of light to some premed folks out there: I did okay on my MCAT, not super. Statistically, I did way better on my boards. Go figure!!! :eek:
  2. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Heh. I did better, statistically, on my MCAT than on boards, and better than my ACT than my MCAT. I don't think the trend will continue, though... or at least I hope not!!!

I wanted 4 more points, to be honest. But I'm way happy with what I got -- I was afraid of not passing, though my big souped up goal was to beat the mean comfortably. Looking back at how I study and my 1st two years (I chose to have a life and maintain my sense of joy rather than gun for the grades), this may not have been a realistic goal. Surgery is sorta killing me now, which has little bearing on the boards, except that it's easier to swallow without having them hanging over me anymore.
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty hSDN Member SDN 10+ Year Member
    Congratulations. Now go on and forget all that basic science stuff! :p
  4. The "two" rule: You need two months to study for Step 1, two weeks for Step 2, and a No. two pencil for Step 3. ;)
  5. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Study for two whole months for Step 1. Bwwahahahaha!
  6. What you really need, to do well on those tests is two balls!
  7. drewdo

drewdo Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    wow djb, are you saying these tests are gender biased?
  8. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Heheh. Dr. Joyce Brutha must be friends with SickBastard5555 who posts on my message board!

Metal Medicine Message Board

I'm a girl, btw, in case you were wondering...
  9. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    gender bias on step one???? wth?? how....what are they asking about scores from past superbowls or details about power tools??? do you have to recite the punch lines to some dirty jokes or stop in the middle of a test and bench press your body weight
    how can you possibly make a test like that gender biased....i can see (though I find it rather problematic) the argument that standardized tests are culturally biased...but gender biased?? if a test could be made gender biased when administered to men and women of the same culture, wouldnt that in essence be antithetical to everything feminists stand for

i am assuming that I read this wrong
  10. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Now that I think about it, I *was* a little confused during my Step 1 exam when I was asked a question about the steps you have to take to replace the fan belt of a car... ;)
  11. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Uhh...OK. You know he's joking, right?

Anyways, I did much better on Step 1 than I was expecting to (I was expecting to just barely pass) so I'm quite happy with my performance. Considering my first two years of med school (not attending school at all for the last 3/4's of MS2, studying for about two hours each day for three weeks for Step 1), I'm lucky to have made it this far.

Statistically speaking, I was a lot smarter when I wrote the ACT and MCAT.
  12. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I thought the 2 balls was funny, not to be sexist or anything. The guy merely meant grit I believe....hopefully. Anyway, congrats to everyone here.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal