I Hate Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

envirocopy512

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does that mean med school is not for me?

Find most of them crass and annoying, don't really care about their stories about grand children and hobbies, etc.

Are there any good options for an MD that doesn't involve patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiology or Pathology.

You still have to get through med school. And radiology is a lot more procedural than it used to be so in that field at least, you will still have patient interaction. Plus you would have to do a prelim or transitional intern year for radiology, which would be totally patient oriented.

Reactions: 1 user
You still have to get through med school. And radiology is a lot more procedural than it used to be so in that field at least, you will still have patient interaction. Plus you would have to do a prelim or transitional intern year for radiology, which would be totally patient oriented.
I guess it would be down to pathology. I don't know about the OP, but maybe he'd be willing to deal with patients a couple of years to get the benefits of practicing medicine. Do you think he'd be able to function as a researcher or in academic medicine perhaps?

what about forensics :p

like everyone else said, patho or radiology, but you still have to put up with all the patient contact DURING med school, so if your up for that...

And they wine and dine you if you apply to grad school (science programs).

Yes, that's pretty much what it means. Everyone "hates" certain individual patients, but if you hate all of them, then medicine (and probably any other service-oriented profession) is not the right choice for you. If you like science, you might consider computer science, theoretical science, math, and maybe some types of engineering or benchwork.

This is exactly the reason why premeds are required to shadow/work/volunteer in a clinical setting. Better you find out that you hate patients now than at the beginning of your third year of med school when you're already in six figure debt.

Reactions: 1 users
why consider medicine if you hate patients? I dont get it

would you go to vet school if you hate animals?
would you be a teacher or a nanny if you hate kids?

B/C I find medical SCIENCE to be very interesting. I just don't enjoy the people part of it.

B/C I find medical SCIENCE to be very interesting. I just don't enjoy the people part of it.

Which aspects of "medical science"? What sorts of tasks in medical science do you find interesting? Is it important that you get a doctorate-level degree or will any aspect of the field suffice?

why consider medicine if you hate patients? I dont get it

would you go to vet school if you hate animals?
would you be a teacher or a nanny if you hate kids?

+1

I don't get it either OP, go work in a lab or something similar. Empathy is a requirement to practice any form of medicine IMO.

Radiology or Pathology.

Not pathology either. Our residents have interaction with patients too on several rotations so it wouldn't be just medical school where you'd have to interact with patients.

From a patient standpoint I've had doctors that obviously didn't like patients, which is pretty sad to pick up on when you're pretty easy to work with as far as patients go. It does a disservice to everyone involved. You'll be miserable and your patients will be as well. There are plenty of other ways to be involved in medical science that don't require patient interaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a case closed, then. The OP might want to get a Ph.D in Biomedical Sciences if he likes them so much. It'll be an indirect way of helping everyone.

This post must be a joke. You are kidding, right?

might I suggest scientific research?

Find most of them crass and annoying, don't really care about their stories about grand children and hobbies, etc.

No one should be made to feel bad because they don't enjoy working with patients. It's each individuals responsibility to explore career options and to find a career niche. You're fortunate enough to realize you "hate" patients early on. I'm going to answer this with the assumption that you're not trollin' :).

1. Dont go for human medicine if you don't like patients. Why would you put yourself through the hell that is med school and residency and all the debt you'll incur? Avoid med school please. Don't listen to all the romanticization by and for pre-meds.
2. Can you see yourself working with animals? Big animal (horses, livestock)Vet medicine might be an alternative. Only reason I wouldnt recommend small animal vet med is you have to deal with the animals owners to a high degree and they suck; They're neurotic, crazy people.
3. Do you enjoy research?? Have you performed any research yet? Try it out and if you really love it then a PhD might be a great option for you. You could also work at a biotech company with only a BS degree and make decent money (not doctor money but good money).
4. What if you hate research? Consider diagnostic lab work. Clinical Lab Science (CLS) certificates are something to look into as well as other low-level lab jobs. It can actually be very rewarding work and you're in a clinical setting but see absolutely 0 patients. Awesome, right?? Salary is much lower (like half of starting doc or somethin) but you can make a decent living and you can do it fairly quickly compared to the other options.
Basically, do your research and get as much exposure to these areas as you can. You haven't revealed too much about your interests on here so I can't give you better advice without more from you.

Good luck.

4. What if you hate research? Consider diagnostic lab work. Clinical Lab Science (CLS) certificates are something to look into as well as other low-level lab jobs. It can actually be very rewarding work and you're in a clinical setting but see absolutely 0 patients. Awesome, right?? Salary is much lower (like half of starting doc or somethin) but you can make a decent living and you can do it fairly quickly compared to the other options.

Good luck.

It's definitely not a bad thing to know what your preferences are.

I'm a CLS and it's a great field for people interested in medical science, especially if you're someone who isn't interested in doing things like research. It requires a bachelors degree in CLS or a post bachelor's certification and can be a very rewarding field. I would caution people not to assume there's 0 patient interaction as a CLS (or MLS). Outside of major academic institutions and larger hospitals sample collection and phlebotomy often fall under the duties of the CLS tech. At my first hospital techs spent a good hour our two each morning doing a.m. draws. Plus they'd also run and do various draws throughout the day and some other types of sample collection. Otherwise it was back to the lab for all the diagnostic testing. It's very location dependent. Starting pay is usually a little bit below the nurses pay. If you think you might be interested in this research it thoroughly and talk to people who are in the field as there are a lot of very big misconceptions about what it is we actually do.

It's definitely not a bad thing to know what your preferences are.

I'm a CLS and it's a great field for people interested in medical science, especially if you're someone who isn't interested in doing things like research. It requires a bachelors degree in CLS or a post bachelor's certification and can be a very rewarding field. I would caution people not to assume there's 0 patient interaction as a CLS (or MLS). Outside of major academic institutions and larger hospitals sample collection and phlebotomy often fall under the duties of the CLS tech. At my first hospital techs spent a good hour our two each morning doing a.m. draws. Plus they'd also run and do various draws throughout the day and some other types of sample collection. Otherwise it was back to the lab for all the diagnostic testing. It's very location dependent. Starting pay is usually a little bit below the nurses pay. If you think you might be interested in this research it thoroughly and talk to people who are in the field as there are a lot of very big misconceptions about what it is we actually do.

You're right about location. Jobs in primarily a reference lab setting would be the best gig for the OP in the case of CLS or other diagnostic scientist position. I'm licensed in something closely related and worked at a reference lab alongside a CLS or two. We never ever saw patients. The lack of patient contact was one of the downsides of the job for me though. Worst part for me (and possibly another incentive for the OP) is lab rats can be anti-social hermit types so if you luck out and choose a lab full of those you'll have minimal human interaction. Hooray! :)

What about anesthesiology? As mentioned, you'll have to get through med school and residency, but once you're past that, patient interaction drops to bare minimal levels. I've personally had multiple surgeries and I've never had more interaction with an anesthesiologist than "I'm Dr. Soandso and I'll be taking care of putting you under today". Sometimes I get a handshake from them. No follow-up, no office hours that I've ever heard of. Might be good for someone who doesn't like patients but still wants to be an MD.

Sounds to me like you have a dislike for people in general; a mild misanthrope perhaps. You don't say it, but I think patients are a stand in for say, annoying co-workers, customers in service oriented industries as it has been mentioned, students if you want to teach etc. Patients represent us all, in fact if you stray not too far from the Non-trade forum on SDN, you will find a lot of posts that fit your description of patients.

A question I might ask is do you find interacting with people in other situations tolerable?

You may have to decide whether you hate patients more than you love medical science or vice versa. Life is lived mostly in the gray and not totally in the black or white. I am yet to met someone who loves every aspect of whatever career they chose.

Hate/love: the work > the work environment > the money > the location etc.

You can come up with varied continua of this sort for any job. And you chose whatever gives you the most of what it is that rocks you boat.

What about anesthesiology? As mentioned, you'll have to get through med school and residency, but once you're past that, patient interaction drops to bare minimal levels. I've personally had multiple surgeries and I've never had more interaction with an anesthesiologist than "I'm Dr. Soandso and I'll be taking care of putting you under today". Sometimes I get a handshake from them. No follow-up, no office hours that I've ever heard of. Might be good for someone who doesn't like patients but still wants to be an MD.

There's still med school and intern year to get through. Plus when you are an anesthesiologist about half of your patient won't be"under" but instead have some form of conscious sedation (epidurals, local blocks and the like), and will complain a lot.

You are kidding yourself if you think you can be a physician without the patient component. That's like saying you want to be a car mechanic but don't want to deal with cars. It doesn't work that way.

As others have suggested there are some healthcare related PhD paths which might be right for someone who wants to skip the "doctoring" component. But there is no place for someone who dislikes patient care in medical school. You would be miserable. More miserable than at other jobs because at times you will be dealing with 24 hours/day.

. The lack of patient contact was one of the downsides of the job for me though. Worst part for me (and possibly another incentive for the OP) is lab rats can be anti-social hermit types so if you luck out and choose a lab full of those you'll have minimal human interaction. Hooray! :)

Yeah, that's a major downside for me as well at my current position. I like patient interaction a lot and really miss it.

A question I might ask is do you find interacting with people in other situations tolerable?

You may have to decide whether you hate patients more than you love medical science or vice versa. Life is lived mostly in the gray and not totally in the black or white. I am yet to met someone who loves every aspect of whatever career they chose.

Hate/love: the work > the work environment > the money > the location etc.

I think at least in the more demanding career paths, you can't put the kind of factors you describe onto the balance with comparable weight. Instead, you have to look at the analysis as whether the job function is something you will enjoy and find interesting. The rest (money, location, hours) more or less have to be perquisites if you can get them, but can't really drive this train. Why? Because when you are working 24 hour shifts, working 80 hours/ week during a 3+ year residency, the promise of a few extra dollars or a few fewer hours isn't what's going to get you through. A basic interest/enjoyment of the job function will. If you hate it, or some major component of it (ie the patients), then don't even bother. You will be miserable, and probably won't make it through. In the above case, it's pretty clear that the OP would be happier in some sort of biomedical PhD path. Being a doctor shouldn't enter the analysis unless patient care is at least palatable. This only works on House ( who is not an example of someone who could survive in medicine BTW,no matter how cool he seems on TV).

I think at least in the more demanding career paths, you can't put the kind of factors you describe onto the balance with comparable weight. Instead, you have to look at the analysis as whether the job function is something you will enjoy and find interesting. The rest (money, location, hours) more or less have to be perquisites if you can get them, but can't really drive this train. Why? Because when you are working 24 hour shifts, working 80 hours/ week during a 3+ year residency, the promise of a few extra dollars or a few fewer hours isn't what's going to get you through. A basic interest/enjoyment of the job function will. If you hate it, or some major component of it (ie the patients), then don't even bother. You will be miserable, and probably won't make it through. In the above case, it's pretty clear that the OP would be happier in some sort of biomedical PhD path. Being a doctor shouldn't enter the analysis unless patient care is at least palatable. This only works on House ( who is not an example of someone who could survive in medicine BTW,no matter how cool he seems on TV).

I agree, the the job function is very important, and I was not emphasizing one over the other but I would still throw it in as just one of the things to consider on a list of likes/dislikes pertaining to a given career. And you have to agree that the average job seeker tailors their resume to the job they are applying for, and do not generally wait till the job comes up that meets their check list of likes/dislikes 100%.

What I was suggesting is that the OP will end up choosing something with a lot more of the likes than dislikes whether it is in the medical field or elsewhere. Without being cynical, i think we humans are remarkable chameleons capable of morphing to fit with any environment that serves our interest best. For example not everyone is a leader or wants to be a leader but if you are asked that question in an interview you better say you are Churchill, and when you get on the job you need to make enough leadership sounding noises in order to advance. And every politician will talk about the family even when they cheating on their spouse and politicians are us.

MD's will not put up with the hours/the patients/the rigorousness training/the risk of being a doctor for the love of medicine alone. Being MD comes with POWER/MONEY/KNOWLEDGE and these are some of the best motivators. If you fear long work hours than you love any of the above, then you will not go into medicine and then there are those that are vice versa.

Last edited:
2. Can you see yourself working with animals? Big animal (horses, livestock)Vet medicine might be an alternative. Only reason I wouldnt recommend small animal vet med is you have to deal with the animals owners to a high degree and they suck; They're neurotic, crazy people.

No. Large animal medicine is not an alternative for people who "love medical science" but dont like patients. The bottom line in large animal medicine is and has to be improving the production for the farmer, and the amount of medicine you actually practice is dependant on how much you can raise the production post-treatment.

Short answer, no part of vet med is an answer for people who "don't like patients" because every single animal is attached to an owner, or another person who assumes responsibility for them. Even wildlife. You can't escape people by coming over to this (better ;)) side.

I agree with those people who said get a Ph.D in biomedical science. You can perform research without a medical degree.

Short answer, no part of vet med is an answer for people who "don't like patients" because every single animal is attached to an owner, or another person who assumes responsibility for them. Even wildlife. You can't escape people by coming over to this (better ;)) side.

Lol. Seriously? Next someone will eliminate the PhD option for the OP because you have to interact with your professors or research mentors!! Geez. By the way, where is the OP? :eyebrow:

So, I've worked closely with vets and have a few good friends that are vets ( DVM/PhD's and large animal). Again, it does depend on your setup but I'm from an area that is highly agricultural with plenty of farms around. One vet I know who wanted to avoid small animal work, works with several of these dairy/cattle farms (maybe 4 or 5).

Firstly, an entire farm (consisting of many many animals who will be your actual patients) has maybe 1 or 2 owners that you'd be communicating with. Once your client trusts you you're pretty much the permanent doc for these guys....and they're loyal as hell. I mean you could potentially be working these same few places for years and years. You're not running into new owners and reintroducing yourself and proving yourself etc. It's actually a pretty sweet deal for the guy because he hates the neurotic side of "patients" as well.

You have to have SOME human interaction. I mean if you want to make it in any of the areas I've mentioned you need schooling...in a classroom...with other people who may also be annoying to you. Tough cookies.

I think the OP should comment at this point cause we're just debating within ourselves now.

Lol. Seriously? Next someone will eliminate the PhD option for the OP because you have to interact with your professors or research mentors!! Geez. By the way, where is the OP? :eyebrow:

So, I've worked closely with vets and have a few good friends that are vets ( DVM/PhD's and large animal). Again, it does depend on your setup but I'm from an area that is highly agricultural with plenty of farms around. One vet I know who wanted to avoid small animal work, works with several of these dairy/cattle farms (maybe 4 or 5).

Firstly, an entire farm (consisting of many many animals who will be your actual patients) has maybe 1 or 2 owners that you'd be communicating with. Once your client trusts you you're pretty much the permanent doc for these guys....and they're loyal as hell. I mean you could potentially be working these same few places for years and years. You're not running into new owners and reintroducing yourself and proving yourself etc. It's actually a pretty sweet deal for the guy because he hates the neurotic side of "patients" as well.

You have to have SOME human interaction. I mean if you want to make it in any of the areas I've mentioned you need schooling...in a classroom...with other people who may also be annoying to you. Tough cookies.

I think the OP should comment at this point cause we're just debating within ourselves now.

What Torr said...(my father is a big animal vet and a big people person and developed many friendships through his field, his patients owners still keep in touch and are greatful for his help, he has friends around the world).
There will always be some level of interaction with people...in ANY field. To me it sounds like the OP needs to steer clear of DIRECT patient care...so bottom line, there are many many careers that don't involve DIRECT care. I also suggest research as a great option due to the OP's high level of interest in the sciences. Look into different research options (you can do animal research too!). At least the OP is being honest with one self...

There's still med school and intern year to get through. Plus when you are an anesthesiologist about half of your patient won't be"under" but instead have some form of conscious sedation (epidurals, local blocks and the like), and will complain a lot.
This is a good point. There's also another issue: what if you get through medical school, and then are unable to get into one of those residencies that have little patient contact? Are you going to give up then, or are you going to become one of those bitter doctors that patients dislike and coworkers find unpleasant?

I agree with the comments stating that it's commendable to be honest with yourself.

I agree, the the job function is very important, and I was not emphasizing one over the other but I would still throw it in as just one of the things to consider on a list of likes/dislikes pertaining to a given career. And you have to agree that the average job seeker tailors their resume to the job they are applying for, and do not generally wait till the job comes up that meets their check list of likes/dislikes 100%. ...

MD's will not put up with the hours/the patients/the rigorousness training/the risk of being a doctor for the love of medicine alone. Being MD comes with POWER/MONEY/KNOWLEDGE and these are some of the best motivators. If you fear long work hours than you love any of the above, then you will not go into medicine and then there are those that are vice versa.

again, I don't think you get to the point of weighing likes/dislikes about this kind of job until you pass the basic initial hurdle of whether you can even see yourself doing the basic job function. You simply cannot say, I will do something I hate because the money is good and I will be respected. A naive 16 year old can think like this, but this should be obviously naive to nontrads. In this there is a big difference in the professions compared to other paths. You simply can't make it through med school and residency if you don't enjoy or find it interesting. These are the only motivators that really matter. Money and power Are among the most superficial of motivators, and have been shown NOT to sustain someone for a very long period of time. Heck, most of us nontrads left good playing jobs because we found enjoyment/interest elsewhere. And those were jobs where they weren't asking us to stay up working every 3rd night. Sorry but we are not on the same page here. You become a doctor because you feel you would enjoy the job function. Everything else is secondary. Nice if you can get it, but not the primary consideration.

You simply can't make it through med school and residency if you don't enjoy or find it interesting. These are the only motivators that really matter. Money and power Are among the most superficial of motivators, and have been shown NOT to sustain someone for a very long period of time.
I agree with this completely. A decade of delayed gratification during which you have limited knowledge, six figure debt, and minimal power is not exactly going to make medicine appealing if these factors are your primary motivators. If you don't like patient care, then you shouldn't go into medicine. Period. There's nothing wrong with not liking patient care, and as I said before, better to find this out now as a premed. At the premed stage, you still have a chance to change your career trajectory before you've invested a significant amount of time and money. Because the people who find out that they hate patient care halfway through med school (or worse, during residency) will likely lack the knowledge they need to enter a different career; the money to afford being able to quit medicine; and the power to shape their day-to-day work life into something that is more to their liking (at least while they're still in training).

If you do not like patients, it is morally wrong to choose this profession. I mean, if you don't like patients, why would you choose medicine anyway?

I agree with this completely. A decade of delayed gratification during which you have limited knowledge, six figure debt, and minimal power is not exactly going to make medicine appealing if these factors are your primary motivators. If you don't like patient care, then you shouldn't go into medicine. Period. There's nothing wrong with not liking patient care, and as I said before, better to find this out now as a premed. At the premed stage, you still have a chance to change your career trajectory before you've invested a significant amount of time and money. Because the people who find out that they hate patient care halfway through med school (or worse, during residency) will likely lack the knowledge they need to enter a different career; the money to afford being able to quit medicine; and the power to shape their day-to-day work life into something that is more to their liking (at least while they're still in training).

I recognize one thing, you (law2Doc & QofQ) have been through MD school and I have barley started studying for my MCAT, so your opinions do carry weight and without discounting them I am merely putting forward a relativistic view of choosing a career where individuals have varied primary motivators depending on their particular circumstances, that is things one fears or loves so much that one will put up with anything either to achieve or avoid.
Perhaps medicine as an exception... I will defer to your point view since you have actually experienced what you are talking about.

I once had a pastor who often said, "I love pastoring, but I hate people." He ended up destroying the church and doing a lot of harm to the people.

I once had a pastor who often said, "I love pastoring, but I hate people." He ended up destroying the church and doing a lot of harm to the people.

I went to college with a guy who was a great guy, but had an irreverent, sarcastic personality and he truly did not like most people. (Nothing wrong with that, in general.) From Day 1 he wanted to go to med school and was very driven and an excellent student, but we, his friends, could never imagine him as a doctor since we didn't think he'd have good bedside manner. He went to med school straight out of college and did well, but he learned that he hated patients and didn't want to practice. He got a job in research and then went to law school and became a patent attorney.

If you already know that you don't like patients, why go to med school? Just for the prestige of being an MD? Would you lie through your teeth to adcoms about how caring you are and how you want to be a healer? You could go into research but you won't make a ton of money doing that and might have a hard time paying back loans if you take out loans for med school.

I just want to add... why not leave your seat in the class to someone who actually wants to be a doctor in the full sense of the word?

Last edited:
then get your Ph D and become a scientist

Even science requires a certain amount of person to person interaction. It is a multicultural environment and communication between team members provides the most productive and full filling experience. Additionally the most successful scientists I have met also are some of the most personable. Social skills are valuable and anyone who doesn't like people generally can be identified. Science is a field where one can be okay without wanting to deal with people, but we don't need any more hostile labs that produce miserable grad students with sub par training who otherwise are good people. It's not fair to them or my field. Please choose something else to do with your life.

You don't really hate patients you're just bored on a Friday night

Even science requires a certain amount of person to person interaction. It is a multicultural environment and communication between team members provides the most productive and full filling experience. Additionally the most successful scientists I have met also are some of the most personable. Social skills are valuable and anyone who doesn't like people generally can be identified. Science is a field where one can be okay without wanting to deal with people, but we don't need any more hostile labs that produce miserable grad students with sub par training who otherwise are good people. It's not fair to them or my field. Please choose something else to do with your life.

I do not gather that the original poster does not like any encounter with people (like some have postulated). I gather that he does not like patient encounters. This is different from the encounters you will have with colleagues as a scientist. The two are quite different.

there is nowhere you'll find satisfaction like in the insurance industry or in hospital admin. md's work in both and both are built on a solid foundation of patient hate.

there is nowhere you'll find satisfaction like in the insurance industry or in hospital admin. md's work in both and both are built on a solid foundation of patient hate.

If you know at the onset that you want to work in insurance or hospital administration, there are much smarter paths where you would be less miserable than med school.

I do not gather that the original poster does not like any encounter with people (like some have postulated). I gather that he does not like patient encounters. This is different from the encounters you will have with colleagues as a scientist. The two are quite different.

I should explain a little better. Science is a different interaction, you are right, but it does not mean that it is any more difficult then dealing with patients. I am also not trying to compare the two, they are simply to different to do so. What I am trying to say is that both do require that you enjoy social interaction on a professional level to some degree. The successful lab environment holds many difficult challenges in its own right. Science is a team effort regardless of the fact that many individuals run their projects on their own without much help. I have often witnessed the grad student who does not seek help and wastes months when their lab mate a bench over understood how to help them. This happens for numerous reasons. One of which I mentioned had to do with the multicultural aspect of a lab. Your lab mates often are from foreign countries with English as their second language. This creates barriers that can be difficult to break down and even though you can get by without dealing with these barriers your life is harder. On top of this you must always be aware that your customs are not your lab mates customs regardless of the fact that you exist in the same professional environment. These things should be taken into account when considering the scientific career path and to often it is not. Also when the OP opens this thread with the tittle "I hate patients" it leads me to assume that he/she may not really enjoy the majority of human interaction that the world has to offer.

Last edited:
Also when the OP opens this thread with the tittle "I hate patients" it leads me to assume that he/she may not really enjoy the majority of human interaction that the world has to offer.

There are very few jobs where interpersonal communication is not useful. But the doctor patient dynamic is pretty unique, and thus there are folks who could succeed at numerous jobs who simply could not practice medicine. There's simply a difference between the communication you have with someone else on your team and the communication you will have with a patient complaining about their pain meds or concerned they re dying at 3am. Doctors have professional colleagues and teams as well, but the patient dynamic is something you won't find comparable in other fields. And if you don't find it palatable, you can't do this job.

Yeah. I mean it. Seriously. There is the world a difference between doing a Phd with a professor and dealing with people who are paying you to come out and assess your live stock.

If anything, large animal vets spend less time with animals and more time with people than small animal vets. Being so experienced though, im sure you know this. Most farmers are capable of performing most things themselves, and don't have the money for calling a vet out for every little thing - so the vast majority of large animal work is actually herd health consultancy style work - going out to farms, looking at their production, at their animals, at their setup and recommending changes etc. Which requires excellent communication skills.

And its not just the owners you need to communicate with. You need to communicate with pretty much every worker on that farm, to get the full history and to make sure everyone knows whats going on. If not, you're playing a massive game of chinese whispers and things get left out and then things fail, and thats when the trust in the vet is lost.

In short, SERIOUSLY vet med is not for people who hate dealing with people. PERIOD. Take it from someone in the industry - and if you dont, head over to the prevet and vet forums, where everyone will tell you!!!

There are very few jobs where interpersonal communication is not useful. But the doctor patient dynamic is pretty unique, and thus there are folks who could succeed at numerous jobs who simply could not practice medicine. There's simply a difference between the communication you have with someone else on your team and the communication you will have with a patient complaining about their pain meds or concerned they re dying at 3am. Doctors have professional colleagues and teams as well, but the patient dynamic is something you won't find comparable in other fields. And if you don't find it palatable, you can't do this job.

I agree with you. Patient interaction is unique, but far to often the multicultural aspect of a science environment is not considered. There are other fields that do not have this social complication. They may be more suitable for the OP if they do not like complicated social interactions that require multicultural sensitivity. Based on his /her tittle of this thread I am lead to believe that they may not want this. OP you are probably a fine individual but please be careful when using the word hate.

I just keep thinking of this one post-doc that literally lived in the laser lab. He ate gas station food, smelled faintly of metallic, and wouldn't talk at all. He had to give a lecture for my p-chem professor when he was out of town and it was the first and last time I ever heard his voice. My classmates that worked in that lab said he doesn't speak in the lab either.

:shrug:

I like the fact that I'm being written off as some muttering hermit that can't function in a social setting. :laugh:

Dealing with patients is completely different from dealing with colleagues, friends, etc. Anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant. I have a job. I get along with my coworkers, boss, etc just fine. Patients are a whole different beast.

I'm going out drinking for the Mavs. Peace.

By the way....no feeling is more liberating than ditching the premed BS. So glad I got out before I got myself 100k in debt.

Now I'm gonna go get my drink on.

Yeah. I mean it. Seriously. There is the world a difference between doing a Phd with a professor and dealing with people who are paying you to come out and assess your live stock.

If anything, large animal vets spend less time with animals and more time with people than small animal vets. Being so experienced though, im sure you know this. Most farmers are capable of performing most things themselves, and don't have the money for calling a vet out for every little thing - so the vast majority of large animal work is actually herd health consultancy style work - going out to farms, looking at their production, at their animals, at their setup and recommending changes etc. Which requires excellent communication skills.

And its not just the owners you need to communicate with. You need to communicate with pretty much every worker on that farm, to get the full history and to make sure everyone knows whats going on. If not, you're playing a massive game of chinese whispers and things get left out and then things fail, and thats when the trust in the vet is lost.

In short, SERIOUSLY vet med is not for people who hate dealing with people. PERIOD. Take it from someone in the industry - and if you dont, head over to the prevet and vet forums, where everyone will tell you!!!

I'd agree; Don't go into vet med to avoid dealing with people. I was assuming that the OP was exaggerating slightly and didn't really "hate" all people. Maybe he/she just doesn't enjoy having to know each new patient, hearing their individual stories, and feigning interest in their family and non-medical details. Don't know for sure. Working longterm with a ranch, my pal does get to know the farmer(s) but you don't have that high turnover that you do with small animal practice so seemed like a valid clinical option after eliminating human medicine (or most specialties at least).

I don't believe these were corporate farms he was working; It was on a smaller scale than that. Yes, larger more impressive farms are more likely going to do their own medical work because it's smarter economically. I believe some even have their advisory work taken over by outside product manufacturers who've developed their own protocols and have their own vets to write prescriptions etc.

My friend happens to be a real people person and has no problem communicating...just didn't enjoy the nature of small animal owners. Still, based on the complaints of clinicians I know (and I worked at a large vet school/hospital lab) I get the impression that dealing with owners of large animals>>>>small animal. All about personal preference I suppose. And yes, I'm definitely not an authority on the subject...I've always been more human medicine than animal and have a very small sample size (n=2 for farm workers).

I just keep thinking of this one post-doc that literally lived in the laser lab. He ate gas station food, smelled faintly of metallic, and wouldn't talk at all. He had to give a lecture for my p-chem professor when he was out of town and it was the first and last time I ever heard his voice. My classmates that worked in that lab said he doesn't speak in the lab either.

:shrug:

:smuggrin: @ smelled of metallic. Yea, I can see how post-docs can definitely get away with this more than others. I've worked "with" PhDs that I rarely actually spoke with. It's varied for me though.

I wonder if certain PhD fields are stereotypically less social than others?? I feel like the physiologists I met were soo anti-social, biochemists/chemists were somewhere in the middle (I'm sure Q would know better) and Vet PhDs were super social. I've only worked in a handful of labs though.

I like the fact that I'm being written off as some muttering hermit that can't function in a social setting. :laugh:

Dealing with patients is completely different from dealing with colleagues, friends, etc. Anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant. I have a job. I get along with my coworkers, boss, etc just fine. Patients are a whole different beast.

I'm going out drinking for the Mavs. Peace.

:laugh: