"I hate the dentist"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free99

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's happened to you before - you're at a bar, party, social gathering, whatever...

And during conversation you're asked:

"What do you do?"

You reply, "I'm a dentist."

Their immediate response, "Oh, I hate the dentist!"

What do you say back? Go.

Members don't see this ad.

"You have obviously never been to my practice"

If that does not fly then

"I hate you too"

lol

Reactions: 3 users
It's emblematic of the society we're living in; the notion that modern dental care is a severely unpleasant experience that elicits "hatred" only makes sense in the context of 21st century comfort & excess. Also, "hatred" towards dentists and dental care has been reinforced over and over again through popular culture to the point that it is trendy to hate dentists.

What would I say? I would mirror the socially programmed response to gain report and favor: "Oh me too! All those sharp needles and stuff!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Incidentally back when I was in college, I remember meeting these two girls at a party, and they told me that they loved going to the dentist and hated going to a physician. Go figure. "You should totally be a dentist," they said. "I love coming back and having my mouth feel nice and clean."

But yeah, I remember my dentist saying, "Well, everyone hates ya."
I would say, overall, who cares. It's a needed profession. I'm sure everyone hates the Gastroenterologist, too. :)

"You have obviously never been to my practice"

I would find this response amusing after recently having an awful experience at the dentist. As a kid I never cared about the dentist one way or the other. I went without issue, got my cleaning, collected my free toothbrush and stickers, then left. Even in my college years I didn't find it bothersome and successfully underwent wisdom tooth surgery.

Fast forward to now in my 30s I don't know what the hell has happened to routine dental care, but that visit was like going through an illegal chop shop or something. Clearly I'm not going back to that practice, but I'm not exactly thrilled about going elsewhere either. In fact I've been procrastinating on filling out the paperwork for my benefits so I don't have to think about going for another visit.

if out in public … i ask what they do, and disregard whatever it is they do. if its a pt, i try and ask why? and then try not indulge their predisposition to "hating me" … but typically just eat the line, knowing darn well their mentality won't change and just be my self. some change. some don't. nature of the best my friend.

post-8744-wiping-tears-with-money-gif-hd-lkhv.gif

Reactions: 19 users
I think most people have this mentality about dentistry compared to other professions such as an Md is because on average they have to see us more and we are doing more invasive treatments. Where as if someone goes and sees their primary care physician, it is probably for a sore throat or something and they give some antibiotics to fix the problem and they are on their way.

If people had to utilize a heart surgeon or orthopedic surgeon as much as their dentist they probably wouldn't like their surgeon very much either.

Reactions: 1 user
I call them an anti-dentite and then b!tch slap them. I then say "Good Day!" and kindly walk away.

Reactions: 1 user
So, um, I'll just snatch that low hanging fruit that everyone's getting at:

"Clearly you've never been drilled by me."

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sure it's happened to you before - you're at a bar, party, social gathering, whatever...

And during conversation you're asked:

"What do you do?"

You reply, "I'm a dentist."

Their immediate response, "Oh, I hate the dentist!"

When I first started, I used to try to convince them they should like the dentist. Never works. Now I say, "That's okay, I hate you too." Usually, I get a look back like :eek:. If they realize they sound like a jerk, they apologize and we keep talking. If not, I find someone else who can tell me how much they hate me. :p

in the school clinic: "do you hate me, or do you actually hate visiting any dentist? let's kumbaya this issue and hug it out while my instructors watch"

in my office: "yet here we are"

anywhere else:

tumblr_llokkncf6Y1qbww1l.gif

Reactions: 2 users