I have a sinking feeling in my gut that somebody I know is trying to ruin my cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KB 24 MVP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to SDN but a longtime lurker. It is nice to meet you all. Over the course of this application cycle, this website has been a huge help to me and I would like to thank all the adcom members along with the other posters for all your help. I am very appreciative of all the great advice I've received from this site.

I know SDN is not a place for a soap box but I do have a potentially huge problem that I would really appreciate your feedbacks on.

So there is this guy, lets call him Chad (not his real name) that I have known since we were freshmen in college. Senior year, Chad and I had a huge falling out and stopped being friends. He was basically a scumbag (verbally abused his gf, did heavy drugs, was an extremely unreliable and temperamental, etc.) So we kinda just moved on with our lives and cut each other out. Unfortunately, we couldn't completely cut each other out, and Chad still remained an acquaintance in my life because we were both pre-med bio majors so I would occasionally see him in the classes I took for our major requirements. Over the course of the past year or so, we still spoke but really only out of convenience. It was one of those situations where you talk to each other, but its very superficial and deep down you both know you aren't really friends and all of your conversations are merely formalities.

Anyway, fast forward to today. There is a big pre-med conference at UC Davis that we flew out to (I go to a UC in SoCal). I see Chad there, and naturally we kind of just small-talk because we don't know anyone else there. At some point, I ask to use Chad's phone because mine died, and I needed to call my dad. He gave me his phone and I made the call, but not before a text message popped up from someone and I saw my name in the subject line. Please dont hate me for the invasion of privacy here, but curiosity got the best of me, and I clicked on the conversation. It was between Chad and his gf, and to paraphrase the message, it said something along the lines of "lol I'm gonna make sure KB 24 MVP never sets foot into med school."

My heart sank, my adrenaline rushed, and I started to get tunnel vision. Not because he said that (tbh I expected nothing less from the guy), but because I'm wondering if it is really possible for him to follow through on that promise he made. Earlier that day, he asked me "hey where have you gotten your interviews to if you don't mind me asking?" It seemed like a fairly innocent question at the time, so I replied "I'm interviewing at USC and UCI."

But now I really regret saying anything. He knows my email address, AAMC ID, and student ID number (we go to the same school, they really aren't that hard to get ahold if if you try hard enough), and now I am absolutely TERRIFIED that he will do something to sabotage my application. I'm scared that he will try to somehow contact the admissions USC and UC Irvine and try to concoct some sort of lie about me and try to ruin my chances at these schools. I have worked SO hard to get to this point and just thinking about this is making me want to throw up.

If he did contact these schools, would I have any way to know? Would they hold the words of a stranger against me? What can I do to protect myself?

Really sorry for the wall of text here but I feel a mix of fear, anger, and hopelessness. If anyone can say anything that would perhaps assuage these feelings, I would be extremely appreciative.

Best,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We're not stupid. Unless we get negative info from a Faculty member or a Dean, we're not going to take some fool seriously who calls us and says something like "KB24 cheated on every test he ever took and is a charter member of ISIS".

You, on the other hand, have made some very poor, self-destructive choices. WHY are even breathing the same air as as this guy? Why does he have your AAMC #??? I have a little trouble believing "they're not that hard to get"

Reactions: 28 users
How on earth does he know ur aamc id. For some school portals all u have to plug into to log in is aamc Id and date of birth ( umiami, vcu)....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You sound quite prejudiced against people who do hard drugs for someone who snoops on e-mails.

Reactions: 7 users
OP is Chad.

Saboteur is his soon-to-be-ex gf that "Chad" was texting. That's why "Chad" knows his AAMC ID.

Case closed. That'll be $30 copay with most HMOs.

Reactions: 13 users
At my university, and I am certain it is this way at other schools as well, you are required to sign that you will never give out your student ID info. Does he work somewhere within the system whereby he or one of his friends could procure your student ID?

Talk to someone at the school and see what you can do to protect yourself from this. I don't know if they will change your student ID. Might be a huge PITA, but get referrals to the right people in student services and IT to help you with this.

It's like your passwords at work. Every place has cracked down big time on this, so, you don't share it, and you sign-out off of all computers. Period. Yes there are IT people that can trace what you do, but they can get in huge trouble if they are not dealing wisely with this kind of thing.

Also, besides taking wise steps to protect you, keep this in mind. Some of us have lived long enough to actually see that 'what goes around comes around.' Believe whatever you want, but there is a sort of balance that moves into place. It's just that sometimes it seems to take a while. Hateful, insecure people bring this back on to them, many times over, what they do to others.

And sadly in the world, there are those that have this arrogance of false belief. That is, they feel like they are above it all, and they have power, influence, smarts, whatever--so they actually believe it will never come back to them or somehow feel immune or don't believe this kind of balance exists. They feel mostly things are random, so they can do whatever they want. Well, some call it Karma. Some call it the Law of Reciprocity. Doesn't matter what you call it. You will witness it, and when you do, you may end up actually feeling badly for them--especially since the very negative spirit of what motives them is its own miserable state of being.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The amount of narcissism in this post is ridiculous. Do you really think "Chad" as well as any adcom members care about your life and personal business that much? Chill out.

You sound quite prejudiced against people who do hard drugs for someone who snoops on e-mails.

19598.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Under the circumstances, I don't think its unreasonable for the OP to be worried about Chad sabotaging his application. Some premeds are crazy.
But the only thing OP can do now is to avoid this person like the plague and just focus on the rest of his/her cycle. Hopefully UCI/USC portals aren't able to be logged in without a password.

oh and don't share your AAMC # again!!!

@Goro, thanks for your advice. I agree that I certainly could have made some better decisions here, and I will make sure to stay far away from him in the future. As for how he obtained my AAMC number, I never explicitly gave it to him but I presume that if he tried hard enough he could find it. I am the leader of a small mentorship club for other younger premeds at our school (sophomores and juniors), so one day they had a lot of questions regarding the extracurriculars they needed to do for medical school, and in an effort to help them, I mass emailed the activities section of my AMCAS application to my class so they could have a "sample application" to look at. I realized too little too late that it has my AMCAS ID at the top of every single page, so that wasn't the best decision. Nothing can be done about it now, but I know that this was yet another ****-up on my part. Seems to be a repeating theme in my life now :(

@NotASerialKiller, I will most definitely admit that I shouldn't have snooped and I understand it was a gross invasion of privacy. I'm not proud of myself for doing what I did. But to address your concern regarding my hypocrisy, he was snorting cocaine, getting high, and making death threats to his girlfriend. That's what the core of the problem was. I have no issue against drugs, so I certainly wasn't judging him for that alone.

Under the circumstances, I don't think its unreasonable for the OP to be worried about Chad sabotaging his application. Some premeds are crazy.
But the only thing OP can do now is to avoid this person like the plague and just focus on the rest of his/her cycle. Hopefully UCI/USC portals aren't able to be logged in without a password.

oh and don't share your AAMC # again!!!

How annoying that would be....always looking over your shoulder for dangling Chads. ;)

OP is Chad.

Saboteur is his soon-to-be-ex gf that "Chad" was texting. That's why "Chad" knows his AAMC ID.

Case closed. That'll be $30 copay with most HMOs.

plot twist, OP is Chad AND the soon to be ex gf

Members don't see this ad :)
What if this was Chad's plan all along? To get you to admit to looking through somebody's private information in a public forum where your account can probably be traced to your application? He has already won.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What if this was Chad's plan all along? To get you to admit to looking through somebody's private information in a public forum where your account can probably traced to your application? He has already won.

That would basically make Chad Keyser Söze.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444530817.140524.jpg

Hi guys, I am new to SDN but a longtime lurker. It is nice to meet you all. Over the course of this application cycle, this website has been a huge help to me and I would like to thank all the adcom members along with the other posters for all your help. I am very appreciative of all the great advice I've received from this site.

I know SDN is not a place for a soap box but I do have a potentially huge problem that I would really appreciate your feedbacks on.

So there is this guy, lets call him Chad (not his real name) that I have known since we were freshmen in college. Senior year, Chad and I had a huge falling out and stopped being friends. He was basically a scumbag (verbally abused his gf, did heavy drugs, was an extremely unreliable and temperamental, etc.) So we kinda just moved on with our lives and cut each other out. Unfortunately, we couldn't completely cut each other out, and Chad still remained an acquaintance in my life because we were both pre-med bio majors so I would occasionally see him in the classes I took for our major requirements. Over the course of the past year or so, we still spoke but really only out of convenience. It was one of those situations where you talk to each other, but its very superficial and deep down you both know you aren't really friends and all of your conversations are merely formalities.

Anyway, fast forward to today. There is a big pre-med conference at UC Davis that we flew out to (I go to a UC in SoCal). I see Chad there, and naturally we kind of just small-talk because we don't know anyone else there. At some point, I ask to use Chad's phone because mine died, and I needed to call my dad. He gave me his phone and I made the call, but not before a text message popped up from someone and I saw my name in the subject line. Please dont hate me for the invasion of privacy here, but curiosity got the best of me, and I clicked on the conversation. It was between Chad and his gf, and to paraphrase the message, it said something along the lines of "lol I'm gonna make sure KB 24 MVP never sets foot into med school."

My heart sank, my adrenaline rushed, and I started to get tunnel vision. Not because he said that (tbh I expected nothing less from the guy), but because I'm wondering if it is really possible for him to follow through on that promise he made. Earlier that day, he asked me "hey where have you gotten your interviews to if you don't mind me asking?" It seemed like a fairly innocent question at the time, so I replied "I'm interviewing at USC and UCI."

But now I really regret saying anything. He knows my email address, AAMC ID, and student ID number (we go to the same school, they really aren't that hard to get ahold if if you try hard enough), and now I am absolutely TERRIFIED that he will do something to sabotage my application. I'm scared that he will try to somehow contact the admissions USC and UC Irvine and try to concoct some sort of lie about me and try to ruin my chances at these schools. I have worked SO hard to get to this point and just thinking about this is making me want to throw up.

If he did contact these schools, would I have any way to know? Would they hold the words of a stranger against me? What can I do to protect myself?

Really sorry for the wall of text here but I feel a mix of fear, anger, and hopelessness. If anyone can say anything that would perhaps assuage these feelings, I would be extremely appreciative.

Best,
The real question is if you know he was a ass from freshman year you waited until senior year to cut him off ??? Thats what happens when you keep up the Fake mean girls life style, If he is a scumbag keep away from him and there isnt any situation to change that

Op did you and CHAD have a intimate relationship ???

I'm aware of just how easy it is to get student ID numbers, as I have access to all of them at my own school due to my work study job.
But I wouldn't worry too much about sabotage OP, just stay as far away from him as possible, and focus on yourself entirely.
Don't let him drag you down.

Not even, but I tend not to forget hearing about things that dangle.

How like a Chad to leave everybody hanging. ;)

Seriously, OP, change your password if you can. Maybe there's a security option with AMCAS that only lets you use your information on registered devices. Check it out.

Well now that OP is in the wise, it behooves him to take a constructive/protective approach perhaps. Go to the right people and make inquiries into your SDN numbers and such. I don't know what they will say, but you do have a right to be concerned about identity theft and identity slander or libel. Maybe the dude was just playing with your head...He saw your phone was running dead and he put a quick text into his "girlfriend" or whomever. One thing I've learned though is you have to, within reason, watch out for you. Do what is reasonable and carry on with life.

Maybe Chad has his SDN log in as well and this is his way of rubbing it in ??:whistle:

lol so this is awkward, but Im actually Chad, and after seeing this post, Im definitely gonna ruin you medical school aspirations, KB 24 MVP!! (AKA ADAM!!) You're ruined! ...Right after I smoke up this crack pipe

lol so this is awkward, but Im actually Chad, and after seeing this post, Im definitely gonna ruin you medical school aspirations, KB 24 MVP!! (AKA ADAM!!) You're ruined! ...Right after I smoke up this crack pipe

Funny, I never quite pictured Chad as looking like Willy Wonka. I will refrain from further comment on this. ;)

I get the feeling that "Chad" is the gf that the OP abused and she's letting him know she's gonna let med school adcoms know about the physical abuse, drug use, and mental instability.

@Goro would this have any merit if brought to you?

I did it. I ruined your cycle. My bad dude, shouldn't have closed that door in my face in Freshman year.

Seriously though, "Chad" is more likely to burn his own app to the ground than yours, from the sound of your post. Anonymous BS isn't taken seriously by adcoms, but someone going out of their way to talk **** about another applicant is sure to burn the **** talker.

@NotASerialKiller, I will most definitely admit that I shouldn't have snooped and I understand it was a gross invasion of privacy. I'm not proud of myself for doing what I did. But to address your concern regarding my hypocrisy, he was snorting cocaine, getting high, and making death threats to his girlfriend. That's what the core of the problem was. I have no issue against drugs, so I certainly wasn't judging him for that alone.

Cocaine doesn't make you threaten your girlfriend, being a terrible person does ;)

You all laugh, but I feel OP's pain. A crazy premed tried to sabotage me once because I wouldn't meet him for a cup of coffee. :mad:

These things are learning experiences, OP. I'm sure it'll be okay, but never forget: protect your personal info and don't go snooping in people's emails.

There's actually a pretty good chance Chad will see this post... I work at the UCD conference, and yesterday when we were stuffng attendee bags I saw one of the ads going into each of the 10,000+ bags was an ad for SDN...

There's actually a pretty good chance Chad will see this post... I work at the UCD conference, and yesterday when we were stuffng attendee bags I saw one of the ads going into each of the 10,000+ bags was an ad for SDN...

:laugh::laugh:

If this whole story is even true and he has all of your ID info maybe you should let AMCAS know so he doesn't withdraw your whole application. I know the chances are remote but...

Seriously though, "Chad" is more likely to burn his own app to the ground than yours, from the sound of your post. Anonymous BS isn't taken seriously by adcoms, but someone going out of their way to talk **** about another applicant is sure to burn the **** talker.

True, but from what I've seen IRL, it depends upon how it is done--who knows whom--a number of factors. I have seen people get others fired by way of this sort of thing. For too many people, often enough, perception beats reality.

Wait @KB 24 MVP I don't understand based on your post what Chad's motive even is....literally what did you ever do to him? Is it just because you had the "falling out" i.e. yelling at each other/fist fighting?

Either way good real world practice. Depending on where you're at, the proportion of snakes to humans can grow exponentially. Try to surround yourself with more well-meaning individuals.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really helped to calm me down. Although I should clarify that I wasn't worried about him hacking my AMCAS account or anything like that. My password to that is so long that I doubt that even the strongest of bruteforce programs could crack it. I was more worried of him doing something along the lines of emailing all of the medical programs I'm interviewing at and saying something like "KB 24 MVP is interviewing at your medical school and I would strongly urge you to reconsider admitting him because of XYZ. His email address is ABC and his AAMC ID is ABC." I know that they probably wouldn't think much of it, but even the possibility of creating a subconscious bias in the mind of an ADCOM is troublesome for me.

This may be a poor comparison, but to me it's kind of like how somebody that was merely accused of rape still has a hard time finding employment even after they were subjected to a scrupulous trial and found to be innocent, because employers still have the accusation in the back of their minds. That's kinda what worried me. But in any event, I understand that this is a foolish concern and largely out of my control, so thanks for all your help everyone.

True, but from what I've seen IRL, it depends upon how it is done--who knows whom--a number of factors. I have seen people get others fired by way of this sort of thing. For too many people, often enough, perception beats reality.
Yeah, but adcoms know how crazy and neurotic premeds are and thus tend to not take anonymous comments about apps very seriously for this reason. It's just not likely.

I would never worry that someone would call up a school/program and say "Hey, Promethean is a jerk, don't let him in." They could be so much more destructive if they called up and said "Hey, I'm Promethean and I'm going to be so rude and unprofessional on the phone with you, right now, to convince you that I am such a raging jerk that you make a note about it in my file."

I almost didn't mention this, because it IS such a nasty move and someone might be inspired to try it. But I am really curious. Are there any protections against this kind of sabotage? Do admissions office staff verify the identity of anyone who calls on the phone claiming to be an applicant, or does a superficial knowledge of their name and maybe an applicant number open the door to real mischief?

I would never worry that someone would call up a school/program and say "Hey, Promethean is a jerk, don't let him in." They could be so much more destructive if they called up and said "Hey, I'm Promethean and I'm going to be so rude and unprofessional on the phone with you, right now, to convince you that I am such a raging jerk that you make a note about it in my file."

I almost didn't mention this, because it IS such a nasty move and someone might be inspired to try it. But I am really curious. Are there any protections against this kind of sabotage? Do admissions office staff verify the identity of anyone who calls on the phone claiming to be an applicant, or does a superficial knowledge of their name and maybe an applicant number open the door to real mischief?

Pretty sure adcoms/schools aren't stupid and will see that as a blatant impersonation.

Why do you think that an Admissions dean would lift a finger to inform members of the Adcom about something so stupid?

Another thought occurred to me last night: Do you think that maybe Chad put that email/test on his phone know that you would look at the message, and he was really just f***ing with your head??

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really helped to calm me down. Although I should clarify that I wasn't worried about him hacking my AMCAS account or anything like that. My password to that is so long that I doubt that even the strongest of bruteforce programs could crack it. I was more worried of him doing something along the lines of emailing all of the medical programs I'm interviewing at and saying something like "KB 24 MVP is interviewing at your medical school and I would strongly urge you to reconsider admitting him because of XYZ. His email address is ABC and his AAMC ID is ABC." I know that they probably wouldn't think much of it, but even the possibility of creating a subconscious bias in the mind of an ADCOM is troublesome for me.

This may be a poor comparison, but to me it's kind of like how somebody that was merely accused of rape still has a hard time finding employment even after they were subjected to a scrupulous trial and found to be innocent, because employers still have the accusation in the back of their minds. That's kinda what worried me. But in any event, I understand that this is a foolish concern and largely out of my control, so thanks for all your help everyone.

Why do you think that an Admissions dean would lift a finger to inform members of the Adcom about something so stupid?

Another thought occurred to me last night: Do you think that maybe Chad put that email/test on his phone know that you would look at the message, and he was really just f***ing with your head??

Best,

Honestly, you're over reacting. I don't think anything is going to happen. Stop being paranoid.

I would be more concerned that he masquerade as you using your AAMC number and say something very offensive over the phone or something. I've heard of something like that happening before.

@Goro, thanks for your advice. I agree that I certainly could have made some better decisions here, and I will make sure to stay far away from him in the future. As for how he obtained my AAMC number, I never explicitly gave it to him but I presume that if he tried hard enough he could find it. I am the leader of a small mentorship club for other younger premeds at our school (sophomores and juniors), so one day they had a lot of questions regarding the extracurriculars they needed to do for medical school, and in an effort to help them, I mass emailed the activities section of my AMCAS application to my class so they could have a "sample application" to look at. I realized too little too late that it has my AMCAS ID at the top of every single page, so that wasn't the best decision. Nothing can be done about it now, but I know that this was yet another ****-up on my part. Seems to be a repeating theme in my life now :(

Wow. Those kids are lucky to have you as a mentor. I don't know anyone who would be so generous. I wouldn't worry about it. Like @Goro said, random people who call and say bad things about an applicant aren't welcomed and no one is going to take them seriously. I advise you try to stay away from this person though especially since he doesn't seem to have your best interests at heart. Good luck!

Laughted pretty hard at some of these posts. You guys are so chill.

Also agree why on earth would u fly to a pre-med conference.