I have NASH, I'm scared, need advice, help, answers please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackberrybunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My 1st post here. Please bear with me. I'm a 46 y.o. woman, who had abdominal pain 3 years ago. Tests upon tests for GB stuff. Didn't find stones, but had pain. Dr. asks what did I want to do--I thought it was my GB aching. I said, "Take it out" and so he did.

When he told my husband the surgery went well, he didn't even mention my gb to him. The surgeon was alarmed at the condition of my liver. He went it with the endoscope and took photos. There is some slimy black looking area on my liver. It looked like someone had burned it, black. He told my husband I was in a serious state and had NASH. I have never drank, but I have always been overweight, but never morbidly obese, never over 240 lbs, 5'4" if that matters.

I also have serious disc problems, so I'd been on heavy doses of opiates for a long time, lortabs, morphine, oxy, percs. I got off of that stuff after my gb surgery for 2 years, but had to get back on due to injuries. Ruptured, leaking lumbar discs. They tell me i need a multilevel spinal fusion. I refuse.

Now, back on percs, 10mg 4x a day. I have been on a serious low carb diet for over 2 years now and have lost over 65 lbs. Down to 180-190. I fell of the wagon at the holidays, and ate, put on 15 lbs, but got it back off. Back on track now for months with eating very low carb and NO sugars!

But now, for a few weeks, I have had pain. An aching in my liver area. I KNOW it is my liver, no question. I've had warnings. The surgeon told me to LOSE WEIGHT. It took me 2 years to finally get on a low carb diet. Very happy with myself about that.

But lately, weird things going on. This aching feeling, it gets worse as the day goes on. I cannot stop taking my percocets, I need them, I AM ADDICTED. I can admit it.

I have suddenly been breaking out in sweats. Thought it was menopause. But then read up that liver disease can cause this.

In the middle of the night and when I get up in the morning, I notice my feet ache. They are not swollen, no water retention. They ache on the bottoms, weird!! WHY

One very bothersome thing is that I have suddenly developed severely aching joints in my elbows and knees. Hurts to lift the coffee pot. My pain mgmt dr. put me on a Medrol steroid pack. After the first day, major relief! Four days after finishing the pack, the pain was coming back. Now, 2 weeks later, it is as bad as ever. I read liver disease can cause aching joints too. But WHY? He told me it seemed I was WAY TOO YOUNG to develop osteoarthritis. He doesn't know I have NASH. He probably wouldn't give me my pain meds, which like I said, I can admit I am addicted to. I'm dependent on them to control my severe back pain, but I am also addicted. I have been treated for addiction in the past, with Suboxone. Two years later, and injury put me back on opiates. And here I am today.

After I read liver disease can make your palms look red, I swear at night that they DO look redder than in the day. Am I imagining it??

I have a metallic taste in my mouth that was never there before. I know it's not the opiate I am on--I've never had this before and I've been on much much heavier doses than this. Is that from liver disease?

I have not lost my appetite. I am not jaundiced. I am never nauseous. I don't have fatigue. YET.

I read there are no meds to help NASH. Once you have it, there's no going back. I read this today, and now I am scared. NOW I am HERE, on this board, seeking help, comfort, advice.

I have lost a lot of weight, and I know that the water my liver held when I ate carbs is all gone, the glycogen stores long depleted. I have been in ketosis a long time, from eating less than 20g of carbs a day, hard to do, but easily do-able for me. I'm a carnivore by nature, haha. So if my liver has shrunk from going LC, then why is it aching? Because it is inflamed, right? What can I do?

I am scared, so scared. I don't want to tell my mother. She is the only living family member I have left. Just her, my husband, and me, no one else. I don't have any friends I can turn to. No kids. I am legally blind and cannot drive. I live very rural. I don't know what to do. I read so much scary stuff today that I don't even know what is the point of trying to lose more weight and be healthy? I feel like throwing in the towel, saying to hell with it all. I feel like I am on the verge of receiving my death sentence, like finding out you have stage IV cancer.

CAN this lead to cancer, btw????

I always feared what my life would be like, not being able to drive, and being left on this planet alone. My husband is 11 years older than me, my mom not in good health either. I have always felt they would both go before me, leaving me stranded here--how will I cope, living way out in the woods, no neighbors, no stores here, no friends, no way to drive myself? How would I manage? Our county has very little resources for the handicapped. :-(

After reading this stuff today, I feel it would be a blessing in disguise if I died first. They can take care of themselves, but I can't even drive to a doctor. I don't know what to do!!

I need some kind words, please....... before I break down crying!

What is my outlook like with NASH? Cirrhosis, I read, is a terrible death sentence, a horrible way to die! My dog died of it last Easter!! And now this is what I face too??

What is that black ugly slimy looking thing on my liver? Is there a way to post a photo of it? I can do that if this board allows photos? Someone please tell me, it is hard for me to see the screen, to hunt down the info in the FAQ's.

My surgeon was extremely alarmed at the condition my liver was in and that was 3 years ago. I didn't take it seriously, not enough.

I know I need to stop drinking coffee because of the caffeine. I read it is hard on a liver. I drink 95% of my day's liquid in water. But I won't be able to stop taking the percocets without intervention.

And I have so many worries, and stressors in life, I have been taking benedryl (diphenhydramine) to sleep now for YEARS. Sometimes up to 6-8 a night. I have terrible insomnia. I can quit those, but not the percs.

I'm sorry this got so long. I'm desperate. Please forgive any spellng or typos, I'm typing this by myself, and it's hard to see.

Please tell me what I am facing. What can I do to get healthy? I ordered some milk thistle after reading it helps the liver a lot. Should i start taking it when it arrives?

Again, I'm so sorry i went on and on. No one likes a long long post. I'm just very scared right now. Thank you. In advance.

Read more: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/...structive-sleep-apnea-nash.html#ixzz3bweXuTm8

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.