About the ads

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Annabelle32, Apr 17, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Annabelle32

Annabelle32

Pre-Psychology

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm currently I am a Sophomore (Undergrad) pursuing my Bachelors in Psychology. I am having so many things thrown at me at the moment from different people and I have no idea what I need to do, research, etc. Firstly, I think it should be said that at my University I have received little to no help on the front of advising, and I really have no one to answer my questions or guide me along the right path. So, I looked to here to see if I could gain some results.

I want to pursue clinical psychology, and I didn't even know there was a PsyD until about a week ago. Everyone has been pushing me towards my PhD and there was never any mention of another degree. What I want to do is practice therapy, possibly open my own practice one day, and I have no idea how to go about it, what degree I should be pursuing, etc. If anyone has any help, please, let me know! Thanks so much!
  2. sunshinejenn

sunshinejenn California Dreaming

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi! May I ask if you are from Canada? I am, and I know that the PsyD is never mentioned here, because it's not offered here!

The difference between the PhD and PsyD is essentially that the PhD is more research based, and the PsyD is more practical based.

However, both degrees can definitely lead to a career in Clinical Psychology. There are both Clinical PhDs, and Clinical PsyDs.

One difference is that it is much easier to find fully funded PhD programs (where you do not have to pay tuition, and can even receive a stipend-kind of like a personal allowance). PsyDs tend to be more expensive, though you can find a few that do pay tuition, etc.

That's just some very basic background information, but hopefully it'll get you thinking in the right direction!
  3. sagejbb

sagejbb M.S.

Psychology Student
    I completely understand your frustration. Keep in mind that psychologists have a tendency to avoid any form of telling someone what they should or shouldn't do. I am just finishing my first year of a terminal masters program in clinical psychology so I may be able to help you a little. My first question is this - What kind of work do you want to do? Therapy, Assessment, Research???
  4. sagejbb

sagejbb M.S.

Psychology Student
    I completely understand your frustration. Keep in mind that psychologists have a tendency to avoid any form of telling someone what they should or shouldn't do. I am just finishing my first year of a terminal masters program in clinical psychology so I may be able to help you a little. My first question is this - What kind of work do you want to do? Therapy, Assessment, Research???