I have to graduate early and I can't finish my premed courses in undergrad!HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurohead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have weird circumstances. I am running out of undergraduate money. I had to switch up my major just to graduate in time. I choose a non science field (had to pick something I was interested in) so I am a sociology major minor in urban education (may have to drop due to me having to graduate so early. Since I am running out of money I can't finish my pre med course (I have done physics 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2 and biology) I may be able to fit my calculus in to finish my math but I don't have time to finish anything else besides maybe a biology 2.

I don't want to give up! I know there is a way. I don't think a post bac program would fit me to well (currently awaiting wake forest admission to contact me on the best thing to do for my situation). I am looking for something closer to my home (Ga) because my father has cancer and I am the only child really there for him. I was looking at the option of attending graduate school while finishing up my pre med course. Is that possible? I would do a graduate program in the Sociology area most likely unless I can find a great Behavioral Analysis program.

I'm just looking for a way right now. I can't imagine me doing anything else besides becoming a pediatric neurologist and I always said I would try my hardest to make it to my goal.

The only other option I have is getting a second degree in biology. Which I would love consider that was my primary focus in the beginning but I won't have enough funding for that I don't believe.

HELP HELP HELP

I really need advice, this has gotten me so off guard. I had no idea my financial aid was running out and I am so upset because now I must plan to graduate a full 3 semester earlier than I expected! (WHY is the federal aid not offering me full grants when I have an elder parent who is laid off, on social security and has cancer anyway???) Going to graduate school and completing my pre med course would be excellent plan for me, I hope I can do it.

Links to schools would be great also. PLEASE HELP!

p.s oh anyone possible know how the GRE will be as far as difficulty??? All my brainy friends say its a breeze :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'm reading everything wrong, I'm confused on if your problem is money, or that you are graduating early?

Either way, Why would you need to go to grad school, or do the gre, there's plenty of people that finish their Bach and do their science pre reqs under the status of "non degree seeking undergrad" you don't need to get another degree to take your science prereqs, there's people that even go back after their Bach and take prereqs at a community college

I am running out of money. Reason why it would be hard to do a non degree seeking status. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that when you do non degree seeking status they take money from your undergrad amount. I ask the fafsa people about getting another degree and they said once I get my max loan then I won't be able to attain anymore loans. There is grants but they never fully cover me with grants and with my dad having medical bills and my mom having medical bills and me being just out of college I won't have the money to pay out of pocket for anything! (im at around 26,000 in debt, the make for dependent students is 31,000)

Members don't see this ad :)
you really shouldn't double post. i answered your questions in the non-trad thread.

It'd be easiest to talk to your student financial aid office advisor... a lot of schools have campus work programs, or they might be able to find you some low-income family type grants, or private loans.

That have have done by emailing different financial aid departments seeing what kinda of options I have as of now.

I don't understand how running out of financial aid means you have to graduate early. Couldn't you just transfer to a school in Georgia vs graduating early and trying to do a post bacc? Or maybe just take some time off from college and push off the decision to later. And if you're short on money I'm pretty sure graduate school costs more than undergrad.

Many people don't get financial aid and take out private loans or work while in college. Could you try taking out a personal loan? Try applying for a lot of scholarships. You could cut costs by attending a state university which usually has lower tuition if you don't already do so. It is possible, I have currently paid my way through college with no financial aid or loans just by working.

I think the real question you need to answer is: Are you deciding to graduate early because of the money or your father's health?

I am in ga at a state school already. Graduate school is affordable being they offer stipends and teaching position to where you don't even have to touch your loan money as long as you graduate from undergrad with a 3.0. I would prefer to go to graduate school and work on my pre-med course but no one has told me I could do that yet. I would have more funds available to me for graduate school so it would be of no cost to me. Me graduating early won't change my father condition so I am not graduating early for him. Private loans are impossible to get in this economy, we have tried many times and gotten denied over and over again.

I just want to be able to go to grad school and be able to finish my pre-med courses at the same time. I don't seem why that would be a problem being I can go to graduate school for free with undergrad background. I wouldn't mind going to graduate school at all.

My options:
Working and completing my pre-med course vs going to grad school for free and completing my pre-med course

The second one would be way easier for me and best for my interest at this point. I just want to know if I can do this. If that is allowed? If it is then I won't have a problem, I will just graduate and go to grad school and finish my pre-med course. It wouldn't bother me at all to take that route.

You said you could go to grad school for free but does that include taking undergrad courses while at grad school for free? I believe premed requirements are all undergrad classes and would be considered post bacc and not grad school. My best advice would be to contact the grad school and ask about taking undergrad classes as a grad student and asking about the costs.

I think in the end you'll have to take post bacc (undergrad classes after graduation) to complete premed requirements which means you'd be paying the same tuition as now and you won't qualify for any more financial aid. If this is the scenario (which I think is most likely) then there is no real benefit to graduating early.

Well I have no choice but to graduate before my pre-med is up then. I have no money to stay to complete my pre-med courses so I guess I should just be a teacher of some sorts after graduation.

You know it is possible to go to school AND have a job. Many, if not all, schools allow you to enroll in a program that breaks up your tuition into monthly payments. It probably won't be manageable without at least some financial aid, but just know that it's an option.

I don't see what your problem is, you're graduating early and saving money. Great. Go get a job, take your last couple required courses, nights weekends, whatever it takes. Study hard and kill your MCAT, apply, stress, fret, worry, interview, whine, cry, more stress, matriculate. Success! Who cares if it takes you an extra year or 2.
What are you not telling us? What's the big problem? It doesn't matter what your major is or if you had a second major or minor.
P.S. Sorry to read of your fathers problems. Two of my friends lost their fathers in medical school, it was very difficult, but they kept it together.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know it was common not to finish your pre-med course in undergrad. Like I said, I am surrounded by people who have not had this problem. (Most of my friends have had above 4.0 in college and are in medical schools, on the way to medical schools, or just over having an easier time than me right now with trying to get there)

Its hard finding people who have taken the nontraditional route of things when your surrounded by people who have taken the traditional route.

Graduate, get a job, and then take general chem and physics for a year, then organic chemistry the following year. I worked 30 or more hours throughout undergrad, and will be starting medical school in the fall. It's more work, but if you only have to be taking the prerequisites rather than a full course load, it should be do-able. Don't do graduate school, it might be difficult to fit in the courses you need to take, you'll probably be expected to complete it before medical school, and you'll take a spot that someone who was actually interested in doing that could've had.

Also, I'm nowhere near a 4.0, and took more than four years to graduate. Don't get hung up on that.

I didn't know it was common not to finish your pre-med course in undergrad. Like I said, I am surrounded by people who have not had this problem. (Most of my friends have had above 4.0 in college and are in medical schools, on the way to medical schools, or just over having an easier time than me right now with trying to get there)

Its hard finding people who have taken the nontraditional route of things when your surrounded by people who have taken the traditional route.

Sometimes non traditional can be an advantage. It gives you more experience, etc. Don't worry about it. Think it through and you can put a positive spin on almost anything. It's all about how you spin your problems into opportunities and benefits to your career/pursuit of medicine.

I have weird circumstances. I am running out of undergraduate money. I had to switch up my major just to graduate in time. I choose a non science field (had to pick something I was interested in) so I am a sociology major minor in urban education (may have to drop due to me having to graduate so early. Since I am running out of money I can't finish my pre med course (I have done physics 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2 and biology) I may be able to fit my calculus in to finish my math but I don't have time to finish anything else besides maybe a biology 2.

I don't want to give up! I know there is a way. I don't think a post bac program would fit me to well (currently awaiting wake forest admission to contact me on the best thing to do for my situation). I am looking for something closer to my home (Ga) because my father has cancer and I am the only child really there for him. I was looking at the option of attending graduate school while finishing up my pre med course. Is that possible? I would do a graduate program in the Sociology area most likely unless I can find a great Behavioral Analysis program.

I'm just looking for a way right now. I can't imagine me doing anything else besides becoming a pediatric neurologist and I always said I would try my hardest to make it to my goal.

The only other option I have is getting a second degree in biology. Which I would love consider that was my primary focus in the beginning but I won't have enough funding for that I don't believe.

HELP HELP HELP

I really need advice, this has gotten me so off guard. I had no idea my financial aid was running out and I am so upset because now I must plan to graduate a full 3 semester earlier than I expected! (WHY is the federal aid not offering me full grants when I have an elder parent who is laid off, on social security and has cancer anyway???) Going to graduate school and completing my pre med course would be excellent plan for me, I hope I can do it.

Links to schools would be great also. PLEASE HELP!

p.s oh anyone possible know how the GRE will be as far as difficulty??? All my brainy friends say its a breeze :)

I would say go for it BUT do at least a couple months of volunteer work during school and while waiting! you may not get in the first time. but just keep volunteering. My retired Navy Captain didnt get into med school the first time he applied, then volunteered and the next year got it! you want to stand out as much as possible! Ill be doing the same thing, which is finishing up my major in three years, ill be done by 26, however i have had 5 years of clinical, hospital, and ward experience so i do not need to worry about making myself stand out

I would say go for it BUT do at least a couple months of volunteer work during school and while waiting! you may not get in the first time. but just keep volunteering. My retired Navy Captain didnt get into med school the first time he applied, then volunteered and the next year got it! you want to stand out as much as possible! Ill be doing the same thing, which is finishing up my major in three years, ill be done by 26, however i have had 5 years of clinical, hospital, and ward experience so i do not need to worry about making myself stand out

Not starting your posting career on the right foot I see....

Reactions: 2 users

It is sweet of you to offer encouragement but if you had clicked on the name of the person who started this thread, you would know that they were last on this board more than 5 years ago. You might want to stick to threads that were started in the past 2-3 days, not something started >5 years ago.