I just a had a Neuropsychological Evaluation and scored average on visual-spatial abilities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The test was conducted one on one with a licensed psychologist and included a battery of testing including Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence-II.
I am graduating with a degree in Human Biology. I have not taken the DAT. I plan on applying to dental school this upcoming July.
I scored 93rd percentile in Verbal IQ, and 42 percentile in Performance (Visual-spatial) IQ yielding a Full-scale IQ in the above average range. At first I was relieved I wasn't average, but then I considered the fact that I'm a college senior studying science at a selective university who's been practicing taking exams for the majority of life, being ranked among the general population who may have not had the same opportunities.
I was mainly concerned because I know visual-spatial abilities are very important in dentistry. From my understanding, perceptual ability is vital to being a good dentist. Also, apparently my motor speed and dexterity are average.
When I agreed to the testing, I didn't even know they were going to be measuring intelligence, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to the test as I'd rather continue believing I was perfect for dentistry, however, I have to acknowledge my weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah? My blood pressure is 420/69

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guy,
I believe you forgot to log on to your wordpress account and post your blog.

Fortunately dance dance revolution, guitar hero, or simon are not on the DAT. DAT study materials will give you the tricks you need to pass the perceptual ability portion. That test is better at determining whether or not you have the ability to rotate an imaginary object around in your head and view it accurately with your mind's eye. This is beneficial in the course of your education and temporarily impressing a panel of strangers with contrived standards of acceptance. Of far greater importance is the ability of your hands, eyes, and brain to talk to one another without any one of them having too much influence. There are a great number of people accepted to dental school with stupid monkey hands, despite their awesome PAT scores. Buy some play-doh and make dinosaurs with it, then stage them in dramatic recreations of predator prey relations. Once you have allosaurus and triceratops down, move onto wolves and reindeer duking it out on the taiga. If you don't know what a taiga is, look it up, because it's on the DAT and all good dentists must know what a taiga is in case their patients watched a nature program in the waiting room and have questions about it. Once your play-doh supra-arboreal mammalian fauna is up to snuff you can bake them in the oven to immortalize them as rock hard trinkets to wear around your neck as a spirit animal ("form of a Taiga Wolf!"), or you can light firecrackers under them in the driveway when your mom isn't home. Be careful of your fingers though, you'll need them. Next, buy a model airplane kit from Walmart and try to put it together like a bauce. No gluey fingerprints on the cockpit canopy, no torn decals, no glue filament spiderwebs hanging between the trailing edge of the ailerons and fuselage. If you haven't blown up or smooshed your play-doh allosaurus, put him in the cockpit cause it's rad. Once you've put together a killer prehistoric model airplane, take your visual IQ test results and make a paper crane, or an origami frog, or a fortune teller out of them. Then they will at least be visually appealing and/or slightly useful and make you happy. Once you are both happy and have developed the hand skills that dentists actually use, don't take anymore IQ tests and go crush that DAT. You got this, dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Fortunately dance dance revolution, guitar hero, or simon are not on the DAT. DAT study materials will give you the tricks you need to pass the perceptual ability portion. That test is better at determining whether or not you have the ability to rotate an imaginary object around in your head and view it accurately with your mind's eye. This is beneficial in the course of your education and temporarily impressing a panel of strangers with contrived standards of acceptance. Of far greater importance is the ability of your hands, eyes, and brain to talk to one another without any one of them having too much influence. There are a great number of people accepted to dental school with stupid monkey hands, despite their awesome PAT scores. Buy some play-doh and make dinosaurs with it, then stage them in dramatic recreations of predator prey relations. Once you have allosaurus and triceratops down, move onto wolves and reindeer duking it out on the taiga. If you don't know what a taiga is, look it up, because it's on the DAT and all good dentists must know what a taiga is in case their patients watched a nature program in the waiting room and have questions about it. Once your play-doh supra-arboreal mammalian fauna is up to snuff you can bake them in the oven to immortalize them as rock hard trinkets, or you can light firecrackers under them in the driveway when your mom isn't home. Be careful of your fingers though, you'll need them. Next, buy a model airplane kit from Walmart and try to put it together like a bauce. No gluey fingerprints on the cockpit canopy, no torn decals, no glue filament spiderwebs hanging between the trailing edge of the ailerons and fuselage. If you haven't blown up or smooshed your play-doh allosaurus, put him in the cockpit cause it's rad. Once you've put together a killer prehistoric model airplane, take your visual IQ test results and make a paper crane, or an origami frog, or a fortune teller out of them. Then they will at least be visually appealing and/or slightly useful and make you happy. Once you are both happy and have developed the hand skills that dentists actually use, don't take anymore IQ tests and go crush that DAT. You got this, dude.
LoL on the part with the Taiga, your patients might ask you about it lmao

Reactions: 3 users
Fortunately dance dance revolution, guitar hero, or simon are not on the DAT. DAT study materials will give you the tricks you need to pass the perceptual ability portion. That test is better at determining whether or not you have the ability to rotate an imaginary object around in your head and view it accurately with your mind's eye. This is beneficial in the course of your education and temporarily impressing a panel of strangers with contrived standards of acceptance. Of far greater importance is the ability of your hands, eyes, and brain to talk to one another without any one of them having too much influence. There are a great number of people accepted to dental school with stupid monkey hands, despite their awesome PAT scores. Buy some play-doh and make dinosaurs with it, then stage them in dramatic recreations of predator prey relations. Once you have allosaurus and triceratops down, move onto wolves and reindeer duking it out on the taiga. If you don't know what a taiga is, look it up, because it's on the DAT and all good dentists must know what a taiga is in case their patients watched a nature program in the waiting room and have questions about it. Once your play-doh supra-arboreal mammalian fauna is up to snuff you can bake them in the oven to immortalize them as rock hard trinkets to wear around your neck as a spirit animal ("form of a Taiga Wolf!"), or you can light firecrackers under them in the driveway when your mom isn't home. Be careful of your fingers though, you'll need them. Next, buy a model airplane kit from Walmart and try to put it together like a bauce. No gluey fingerprints on the cockpit canopy, no torn decals, no glue filament spiderwebs hanging between the trailing edge of the ailerons and fuselage. If you haven't blown up or smooshed your play-doh allosaurus, put him in the cockpit cause it's rad. Once you've put together a killer prehistoric model airplane, take your visual IQ test results and make a paper crane, or an origami frog, or a fortune teller out of them. Then they will at least be visually appealing and/or slightly useful and make you happy. Once you are both happy and have developed the hand skills that dentists actually use, don't take anymore IQ tests and go crush that DAT. You got this, dude.

This is some solid life advice, right here.

Reactions: 1 user