I just withdrew my acceptance from [this] school, c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been pondering this for a while. But finally made my decision. Withdrew from UCSF! Hope one of you guys get the seat :)
Washington Heights, here I comeee

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Been pondering this for a while. But finally made my decision. Withdrew from UCSF! Hope one of you guys get the seat :)
Columbia?

Congrats! Make sure to check out Koronet's Jumbo Slice, it's a block south of the Seinfeld Diner (W. 112th/Broadway)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be withdrawing my acceptance from UDM and will more than likely be cancelling my upcoming interviews at MOSDOH, Case Western, NYU and Columbia.. Hope that opens up for some of you!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from UDM and will more than likely be cancelling my upcoming interviews at MOSDOH, Case Western, NYU and Columbia.. Hope that opens up for some of you!
where are you going?

where are you going?

It's funny because I had interviews scheduled at NYU and Columbia for February 6 and 7th, and then I got invited to Western University for an interview last Tuesday. I was unsure about going to it because it would mean rescheduling my interviews in New York, and people who interviewed already at Western U were telling me not to go because it was a new school, etc. I ended up deciding to reschedule my New York interviews partly due to the horrible storm there for Feb 20 and 21st, and went to Western U on Saturday. I ended up absolutely loving the school and have been anxious about hearing back from them all week. Got the call of acceptance today and I am 99% sure I will be going there and just cancelling my trip to New York.

So I suppose I learned a lesson here, don't just write off a school because of what others tell you about it - go see it for yourself!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted to: Tufts, BU, Midwestern (IL), UNE
Declined interviews from: UPenn, Temple, NYU
Declined offers from: Midwestern (IL), UNE

Hope this helps someone! :)

Deciding between Tufts and BU right now. (I'm a MA resident)

Accepted to: Tufts, BU, Midwestern (IL), UNE
Declined interviews from: UPenn, Temple, NYU
Declined offers from: Midwestern (IL), UNE

Hope this helps someone! :)

Deciding between Tufts and BU right now. (I'm a MA resident)

Declining offer at BU

I'll be attending Tufts!

Tufts University Class of 2018! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Will be declining UoP and UPenn with Deans scholarship. Hope this helps some of you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@slor Just curious. What made you choose Tufts over BU?

Reactions: 1 user
@slor Just curious. What made you choose Tufts over BU?

Hey @LaughingGas and @Mike DDS ,

There was A LOT to consider because both schools are great dental schools. For me, Tufts seemed like a better fit. After considering the very similar aspects of the two schools, I weighed in factors that others may consider "silly" (but that would be a part of my everyday life). I really liked the location of Tufts and the facilities and building. Tufts already had renovations and BU is still planning to renovate but as the entering class I was told that I would not be studying there when that happens. I especially enjoyed the Tufts library --it had a vibrant feel to it and any library that also serves food is a plus in my book. The Tufts facilities are amazing and the vertical expansion is mouth dropping. I enjoyed the nice view in the simulations clinics and some of the classrooms. Considering that I will be there for four years, I really wanted to be somewhere where I felt that I would be happy and can enjoy the little things. The desks in the Tufts classrooms are styled more differently than the desks I saw at BU. I personally love desk space and BU had those individual desks (smaller desk space from my visit) whereas Tufts (in multiple classrooms I saw) had the desks that extends in one row (if that makes sense).

I loved that BU was very student-centered and that the Dean and students made it clear to me that they wanted me at BU. Throughout the whole interview, the dental students were very helpful and happy and fun. I definitely felt very welcomed at BU. But I feel as though, in my book, BU didn't have a fair chance from me because I have had my eyes set on Tufts ever since I knew that I wanted to attend dental school and Tufts has always been my dream school for dental school because it was near my family and friends and the reputation it has. BU also has a good reputation but from what I've heard from some of my dental student mentors, Tufts prepares their dental students better clinically, which was a huge factor in my decision.

I pictured myself at BU and my pre-dental friends attending Tufts and during this scenario, I felt so envious of those who were at Tufts. Then I pictured myself at Tufts and my pre-dental friends at BU, and I felt better about being at Tufts than at BU. That helped me a lot because although BU gave me a scholarship, I wanted to go to Tufts because money isn't always everything. Money can't buy you the same experience. Although I truly believe I could thrive at either school, because I believe that your experience is what you make of it, I went with my gut instincts and chose Tufts. I also knew two students at Tufts who helped mentor me through my pre-dental years and they went out of their way to give my pre-dental club and I tours at Tufts and had lunch with us multiple times. I had more personal connection with Tufts than BU...and I'm not going to lie, those SDN threads were all saying Tufts>BU and that just kept replaying in my mind even when I tried to tune that out!

My thoughts on BU:
  • Great dental school, great people there! Awesome staff and administrators
  • It seemed very student-centered
  • It is going to follow a general practice model where patients will be assigned to students and they wouldn't have to find patients
  • Seemed like the students help each other out a lot, students share notes with eachother
  • Location is nice too and you may be able to find *cheaper apartments (cheaper than downtown Boston near Tufts...it's still expensive)
  • I liked how the resources the undergrad had were opened to the graduate students (gym, free BU shuttles to take you to and from the BU campuses)
  • APEX Program seemed very interesting: you get to network with BU alums and work in their dental office
  • They do a lot of community outreach locally, nationally, and internationally
  • Their alumni network is impressive
  • They seem to give money to their students who attend/want to attend
  • Facilities seemed outdated, simulation labs seemed small and crowded, not a fan of the classrooms/desk style
  • Class size is smaller than Tufts
Honestly, I really liked BU but I LOVE Tufts and that was where I made my decision. Many of the positive items I listed for BU mostly applied to Tufts too. I didn't add my specific thoughts on Tufts but it is pretty obvious that Tufts is my number one for many reasons. Again, both dental schools are great but you just have to figure out what will be the best dental school for YOU!

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OFFICIALLY declined UPenn acceptance *sigh* It's like that toy you always wanted as a kid, but realized you could never afford it :(

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from Pitt (w/ scholarship)

Our search and comparisons for schools in our family has just begun. Those of you who are choosing UPenn, are you getting scholarships? It's really expensive right? How the heck is everyone affording all this? It's scaring me and I am thinking I should discourage my son from going into dentistry because he is too young to understand what all this debt really means?
Well congratulations all.

Our search and comparisons for schools in our family has just begun. Those of you who are choosing UPenn, are you getting scholarships? It's really expensive right? How the heck is everyone affording all this? It's scaring me and I am thinking I should discourage my son from going into dentistry because he is too young to understand what all this debt really means?

Yes, UPenn is very expensive, but there are some good ways to deal with it. I decided (most likely) to go with UPenn because I just received the Army HPSP scholarship which provides recipients with a full ride, a monthly stipend, and a sign-on bonus. If you'd like any info on the HPSP (given out by the Army, Navy, and Air Force) check out the Military Dentistry thread, look it up on their websites, or shoot me a PM if you are not already aware of it (also if your son would be ok with 4 years of service re-payment in the Dental Corps). Without this scholarship however, there would be no way for me to attend an out-of-state or private school like UPenn, as my in-state option would be much cheaper / still a very good school. Also, I wouldn't discourage the dental route. In-state schools are typically pretty affordable with a very good return for paying off the debt in a reasonable manner.

Dental school is a great route. However, now more than ever, students need to be aware of what they are getting themselves into. It's good that your family already has a firm understanding of the financial burden this kind of an education can cost. If it's handled the right way, though, it does not have to be exorbitantly expensive. State schools are by far the cheapest options. Hopefully, your son has set himself up for an in-state acceptance (good grades, good DAT scores, good ECs).

The military HPSP option is a great one, too, but it isn't for everyone. I'd have your son look into it.

Make your son get on SDN and read threads about debt and loan repayment. He might not like it at first, but it's VERY eye-opening! It's awesome that you are so involved and willing to help him, but he needs to see (and LEARN!) some of this for himself. :)

Thank you Glimmer1991 for your insights. I am DEFINITELY having him read posts. We are actually reading the critical ones together - I save them and show him.
Our dilemma is that we are in Illinois where I feel like there is no such thing as in state tuition.:eek:
I think we need to find more recent threads on debt and loan repayment as you suggest.
We are early in the game - he is applying to the combined programs and has an acceptance from UDM so far for 7 years and we are waiting for other responses but he has an interview coming up with Nova.
I really appreciate the suggestions Thank you!

Thank you Glimmer1991 for your insights. I am DEFINITELY having him read posts. We are actually reading the critical ones together - I save them and show him.
Our dilemma is that we are in Illinois where I feel like there is no such thing as in state tuition.:eek:
I think we need to find more recent threads on debt and loan repayment as you suggest.
We are early in the game - he is applying to the combined programs and has an acceptance from UDM so far for 7 years and we are waiting for other responses but he has an interview coming up with Nova.
For Illinois, SIU is by far the cheapest option. It is at the Edwardsville campus (just outside of St. Louis) not Carbondale. I'm not sure if they have the 7 year option or not, but it might be worth it to take an extra year depending on the price difference.

For Illinois, SIU is by far the cheapest option. It is at the Edwardsville campus (just outside of St. Louis) not Carbondale. I'm not sure if they have the 7 year option or not, but it might be worth it to take an extra year depending on the price difference.

An excellent dentist I know graduated from SIU Dental. He was accepted after his 3rd year in undergrad and matriculated without having to complete his 4th year (Therefore, forego his Bachelor's Degree). Might be worth looking into.

Already withdrew from LECOM and Roseman. Will be withdrawing from Nova Southeastern within the next week/week and half. Hopefully it gets someone off the waitlist! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Already withdrew from LECOM and Roseman. Will be withdrawing from Nova Southeastern within the next week/week and half. Hopefully it gets someone off the waitlist! :)

Where are you planning on going?

Where are you planning on going?

Tufts! I got a post-Dec interview and found out on Valentine's Day. I really liked the school but I wanted to make sure Tufts received everything before withdrawing from Nova.

hey everyone... whats the appropriate way to withdraw from a dental school? i'm sitting on 1 paid deposit and 2 other acceptances. do i simply email the admissions office and respectfully state i have made alternate plans and will be withdrawing?! never thought i would have this problem ha

hey everyone... whats the appropriate way to withdraw from a dental school? i'm sitting on 1 paid deposit and 2 other acceptances. do i simply email the admissions office and respectfully state i have made alternate plans and will be withdrawing?! never thought i would have this problem ha

Yep. I had to do the same thing. Just email them saying you appreciate their acceptance etc and state that you would like to withdraw from the program at this time. Email is quick and easy.

Withdrew my upenn acceptance.... that was so painful...

Yo i just had my interview and waiting for PENN for the response... why did you choose BU over penn? lol I had quite a few people that I know that did the same. I also had my acceptance at BU just curious.

I withdrew from NYU and USC ... just way too expensive :'(

Also withdrew my acceptance from USC! Like above poster, can't get over the pricetag that comes with this school. Good luck everyone!

Withdrew acceptance to Temple. Good luck everyone!!