I just wondering how can I strengthen my background at this time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idealand13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my background:
1. Got my D.D.S in China in 2013, with a GPA of 3.22 (in China it is 3.5 however).
2. 1 year program of advanced general dentist in China and another year as a pediatric dentist.
3. Have 2-year research experiences in China and had a paper published in 2016(IF=1.7, first author), then came to TX in late 2015, doing researches here as a visiting scholar.
4. TOEFL 101(speaking 22), NBDE part 1 pass, and I took part 2 2 weeks ago, waiting for the result anxiously.

1. What about my chances to get into a 2-year program if I pass part 2? Am I too late for this cycle?
2. I have been preparing all these tests in the past 7 months while working full time and don't have time to shadow. I have just started to shadow this month, how many hours do I need at least?
3. Am I allowed to do some volunteer job? The school officer told me I was not allow to do volunteer work as a J-1 VISA holder.
Sorry for my English but I really need your advice. It seems there is no Chinese student.
Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my background:
1. Got my D.D.S in China in 2013, with a GPA of 3.22 (in China it is 3.5 however).
2. 1 year program of advanced general dentist in China and another year as a pediatric dentist.
3. Have 2-year research experiences in China and had a paper published in 2016(IF=1.7, first author), then came to TX in late 2015, doing researches here as a visiting scholar.
4. TOEFL 101(speaking 22), NBDE part 1 pass, and I took part 2 2 weeks ago, waiting for the result anxiously.

1. What about my chances to get into a 2-year program if I pass part 2? Am I too late for this cycle?
2. I have been preparing all these tests in the past 7 months while working full time and don't have time to shadow. I have just started to shadow this month, how many hours do I need at least?
3. Am I allowed to do some volunteer job? The school officer told me I was not allow to do volunteer work as a J-1 VISA holder.
Sorry for my English but I really need your advice. It seems there is no Chinese student.
Please help!

U have a good profile. I would suggest just add a little observership in USA . one month should be good enough. And apply to the schools where u can. As u are from China , u would have good chance of selection as many schools looks for diversity in the class.

well good luck

U have a good profile. I would suggest just add a little observership in USA . one month should be good enough. And apply to the schools where u can. As u are from China , u would have good chance of selection as many schools looks for diversity in the class.

well good luck
Thank you sooo much!
I will keep trying and doing my best.
I still have one question. What if I can't get a LOR from the Dean? I got one letter from my supervisor in China, another from the professor in TX, but when it comes to the dean, it's much more difficult.
Can I just write to the school and explain the reason and try to find another letter instead?

Thanks again for your encouragement and valuable information!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you sooo much!
I will keep trying and doing my best.
I still have one question. What if I can't get a LOR from the Dean? I got one letter from my supervisor in China, another from the professor in TX, but when it comes to the dean, it's much more difficult.
Can I just write to the school and explain the reason and try to find another letter instead?

Thanks again for your encouragement and valuable information!

dean LoR is a must for most of the schools

its good to get LORs from people who know you well so they can write things in detail for you!

its good to get LORs from people who know you well so they can write things in detail for you!
Thank you. I can get LOR from my advisor easily, but most schools also require one from the dean. I will keep trying.

hey, can you guide me on how you got an opportunity to do research in the US?

hey, can you guide me on how you got an opportunity to do research in the US?
I came to the U.S. as a visiting scholar. I had some experience on research in my own country. Try to contact the PI of the labs at the university. They may offer you an opportunity working as a volunteer or fellow, well I think that depends on your background.

hey can I ask why is your GPA 3.22 instead of 3.5? How was the conversion being made? Thanks.

hey can I ask why is your GPA 3.22 instead of 3.5? How was the conversion being made? Thanks.
There are some differences between the GPA in the U.S. and China. For example, I get a PGA of 4.0 for a score higher then 88 in China, while it needs 92? or higher to gain 4.0 in the U.S.(I don't remember the exact score). The fact is that the teachers in China they are not likely to give a score higher than 92 in most cases, so it is a little bit unfair about this.
So after this transformation, there would be a decrease on my GPA. I don't know the conditions in other countries.