I know everybody says don't study before med school but........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you aren't confident about a first year subject? I have taken undergrad biochem but I really had a problem with lipid metabolism. I'm pretty confident about everything else, maybe besides immunology. Would it be okay to study these subjects? I don't have anything to do until August.

Members don't see this ad.

What if you aren't confident about a first year subject? I have taken undergrad biochem but I really had a problem with lipid metabolism. I'm pretty confident about everything else, maybe besides immunology. Would it be okay to study these subjects? I don't have anything to do until August.

Yeah there is no harm in it.

I don't have much to do until August either. Who cares if you want to learn something on your own? I wouldn't go overboard and stress out about it though.

Just think... you actually took biochemistry already. Some people haven't even done that and some have only ever taken the prerequisites. I often wonder how much harder it is for them. In the end, if they can get through it, so can you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine if you don't, believe me.

But your last bit of free time is just that YOUR last bit of free time; and as such you can spend it anyway you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to say that I am really insecure about my scientific knowledge deficits (I am a nontrad former humanities major) and was thinking about reviewing science subjects with MIT OCW or something this summer. Then I joined the Facebook group of the class above me at the med school I think I'm going to and saw that it's absolutely hopeless. They have been in school for a week and a half this semester and they have an exam coming up. Someone posted a study guide that's 33 pages of single-spaced highly detailed information. It's a subject I took in my post bacc, and in the entire semester, I learned maybe the first page and a half of that study guide. The rest is gibberish. It made me realize two things: 1. I don't want to go through that pain til it's absolutely necessary and 2. Even if I tried, it'd be useless. Instead, in addition to working and volunteering, I've been spending my one last year off doing things I find enjoyable: watching tv shows and reading books I don't think I'll have the time or mental energy to enjoy once I start school.

That said, you do you.

Actually though, I think we're all smart and overachievers here who enjoy learning, and I've been spending my time reading ancient religious texts and learning about the historical contexts of the three major western religions. Super dorky, but I just realized that's basically the same as studying science, if that's what interests you. I guess my advice is study only if you enjoy it and not because you feel obligated.

I just finished a 15-hour shift and am going back to work in a few hours and am a little tipsy. Sorry.

I don't see how it could hurt to do a focused review of one topic you struggled with. Cholesterol synthesis and metabolism is a bitch to memorize simultaneously with every single cranial nerve for anatomy. I only see it helping, as long as you don't go overboard with it before school starts.

There will be plenty of people like you in your class and you will all be fine if you put the work in. It will be a lot of work!

Actually though, I think we're all smart and overachievers here who enjoy learning, and I've been spending my time reading ancient religious texts and learning about the historical contexts of the three major western religions. Super dorky, but I just realized that's basically the same as studying science, if that's what interests you. I guess my advice is study only if you enjoy it and not because you feel obligated.

I just finished a 15-hour shift and am going back to work in a few hours and am a little tipsy. Sorry.

Your interest are interesting. I am taking a human geography and a sociology class online right now. I just enjoy learning about people and the stuff people do. In addition to taking these two classes, studying biochem and immunology, ill also read a lot of books and watch lots of films. I'll have to find some good ones.

Your interest are interesting. I am taking a human geography and a sociology class online right now. I just enjoy learning about people and the stuff people do. In addition to taking these two classes, studying biochem and immunology, ill also read a lot of books and watch lots of films. I'll have to find some good ones.
I'm going to continue working, watching netflix, and drinking lots of alcohol. If pre-studying will make you feel better or is actually enjoyable, go for it. You don't need strangers to validate what you do in your free time. Everyone is nervous about starting school and eventually has that "can I really do this?" thought. For me, studying before med school sounds absolutely terrible and would be a huge waste of time. But that's just me. You will be fine regardless I promise

Reactions: 1 users
it is generally discouraged to study before medical school because it is unlikely you will study it in the detail required for medical school.

I don't see how it could hurt to do a focused review of one topic you struggled with. Cholesterol synthesis and metabolism is a bitch to memorize simultaneously with every single cranial nerve for anatomy. I only see it helping, as long as you don't go overboard with it before school starts.

Aye,

But remember this little gem; there are only 12 cranial nerves, and when you hit 3rd year (arguably the most important year of your medical school career) knowing those 12 nerves will be a hell of a lot more valuable than having the biosynthetic pathways of cholesterol memorized.

And it will remain that way until the end of your days.

What I'm trying to say is, you'll be taught that stuff whether you study it this summer or not. And if at the end of your Biochem course in medical school, you still feel uneasy about it, it won't matter much at all. You might miss a question or two on your step1 (though the chances of that exact topic coming up are slim to none) and if you're really unlucky, you might get a question wrong in a pimping session on your medicine rotation or something. None of those things are worth ruining your last summer ever trying to prevent.

So go have fun, you'll never get to be this free again, EVER!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would just chill until August but I'm actually thinking of taking pharm if they offer it next quarter. I am afraid because everyone says it's hard and I do NOT want to even come close to failing med school

Pick up a new hobby. I'm working full time but in the time that I'm not/not volunteering I am teaching myself piano and learning French from duolingo.

I got a new puppy, and am enjoying married life. I get anxious when I think about how much I have to learn, but in the end I know I'll be able to tackle it all when I need to, and nothing I can do right now is worth it at all.

I'm currently taking a couple classes at the moment which may help like anatomy and medical terminology. Other than that, no prestudying here. The summer before will be travel. My hobbies are back in full force :D

• I had zero biochem experience coming here. I passed last semester just fine.
  • Having an intensive histo course beforehand was helpful, but I still have to relearn the details now. Especially now that we're out of the base level histo and we're getting into the GI tract.
  • The anatomy courses I took in undergrad were marginally helpful, but they never covered the detail expected of me here... all the tiny branches of arteries and nerves especially.
  • I also had a fast-paced pharm course in undergrad that I did really well in. I still had to relearn drug functions and sides last semester.
  • What could potentially be helpful is micro. But the course I took was designed and taught by the med school professors, so it was pretty similar coming here. Of course, I didn't even do exceedingly well in it here...
  • Getting familiar with immunology could be helpful too. I had two exposures to it in undergrad and I think that might have helped lock things in when I took it here.
What I'm mostly saying is, enjoy your free time while you have it. No matter how much you prepare, you're probably going to have to grind down and study hard in med school. Some casual prep won't hurt, but don't let it take away from your enjoyment of life now.

Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.

Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.
Don't pre-study.

Im not gonna pre study a lot, just a little. Im not gonna try to go through an entire biochem or immunology text, just hit a few problem areas.

There are medical board review books for biochem and immunology, which are really short and easy to follow and are probably better than a traditional text book. Biochem and immunology are pretty low yield subjects...if you didn't know.

There are medical board review books for biochem and immunology, which are really short and easy to follow and are probably better than a traditional text book. Biochem and immunology are pretty low yield subjects...if you didn't know.

Im not thinking about studying for the boards, I just don't wanna start med school and then fail biochem by 1 point or something crappy like that.

Don't worry, OP - everyone's first year is like this:

ibtnorezB2qsYl.gif

• I had zero biochem experience coming here. I passed last semester just fine.
  • Having an intensive histo course beforehand was helpful, but I still have to relearn the details now. Especially now that we're out of the base level histo and we're getting into the GI tract.
  • The anatomy courses I took in undergrad were marginally helpful, but they never covered the detail expected of me here... all the tiny branches of arteries and nerves especially.
  • I also had a fast-paced pharm course in undergrad that I did really well in. I still had to relearn drug functions and sides last semester.
  • What could potentially be helpful is micro. But the course I took was designed and taught by the med school professors, so it was pretty similar coming here. Of course, I didn't even do exceedingly well in it here...
  • Getting familiar with immunology could be helpful too. I had two exposures to it in undergrad and I think that might have helped lock things in when I took it here.
What I'm mostly saying is, enjoy your free time while you have it. No matter how much you prepare, you're probably going to have to grind down and study hard in med school. Some casual prep won't hurt, but don't let it take away from your enjoyment of life now.
How was your first semester overall? A or B or C average if you don't mind sharing...

Im not thinking about studying for the boards, I just don't wanna start med school and then fail biochem by 1 point or something crappy like that.

Those board review books do a better job of following the med school curriculum versus just sort of grabbing a regular textbook. I use BRS for things like anatomy if I have time.

I feel like such the bad guy on these threads, but I will still go ahead and say I like the anatomy coloring book before medical school. I had no anatomy exposure before school and it helped me just get familiar with the terms so that it took slightly less time to memorize everything when gross anatomy came along.

I feel like such the bad guy on these threads, but I will still go ahead and say I like the anatomy coloring book before medical school. I had no anatomy exposure before school and it helped me just get familiar with the terms so that it took slightly less time to memorize everything when gross anatomy came along.
make sure you save this post so in a couple months from now, when your covered in masseter and fat, frantically searching for the elusive chorda tympani nerve, you can sit back, think of this comment and go, "man, remember that time i thought a coloring book would give me a leg up in anatomy? good times."

Undergrad textbooks are useless in med school. Nobody touches them. If you've taken the prereqs, you have everything you need going in. Use Google/Wiki if you forget something.

I didn't prestudy, but took the advice of a friend:

Go find a review book, anything you want. Physio, anatomy, biochem, whatever, and just LOOK at it. Look at the detail and depth of the material and understand that it is a condensed version of what we learn. A slice of the pie, if you will. This exercise helped me to appreciate the volume we get exposed to and keep me from freaking out/becoming a drama queen every time we got more piled on top of us.

I was rarely surprised by what we were expected to learn, and because of this all the energy I might have spent bitching or moaning went to studying (or bitching about other things :).

I just want to add that it's impossible to know everything. If that were true, everyone would be getting 100% on every test. I've talked to plenty of doctors who don't remember things from undergraduate or even medical school, but there are always some who claim they can (They really can't.). We're not robots. Humble is the person who understands we all have our strengths and weaknesses and uses that to everyone's advantage.

Don't worry, be happy.

Im not gonna pre study a lot, just a little. Im not gonna try to go through an entire biochem or immunology text, just hit a few problem areas.

Don't. Med school is designed to bring everyone up to competency regardless of their background. Just enjoy the last few weeks off and mentally prepare yourself.

I read zero posts in this thread because none of them were going to change my opinion.

You need to enjoy the fact that you are going to medical school. The summer before med school, I worked so that I could minimize my loan needs, I went to the UK/Italy for 3 weeks, got back for a week and then went to Alaska for 10 days.

Don't waste your time. Just double your efforts if you see yourself faltering once school starts.

One thing you will learn in med school is that when you are offered time off, you take it and run and don't look back.

It's a shame they don't teach that in undergrad.

I read zero posts in this thread because none of them were going to change my opinion.

You need to enjoy the fact that you are going to medical school. The summer before med school, I worked so that I could minimize my loan needs, I went to the UK/Italy for 3 weeks, got back for a week and then went to Alaska for 10 days.

Don't waste your time. Just double your efforts if you see yourself faltering once school starts.

Having the money to travel would be great!

I graduated in December and start MS1 in July. I can't find enough time to fit in all of my hobbies. I've never had so much fun or been this carefree my entire life. It's pure bliss.

Reactions: 3 users
I graduated in December and start MS1 in July. I can't find enough time to fit in all of my hobbies. I've never had so much fun or been this carefree my entire life. It's pure bliss.

I wish I was carefree too... but I'm so stressed about finding housing and the tuition..and I'm still working full time...wish I could travel or take time off..

I wish I was carefree too... but I'm so stressed about finding housing and the tuition..and I'm still working full time...wish I could travel or take time off..
I have to worry about finding housing for myself and my fiancé...and our dogs. I'm working about 30 hours a week, unfortunately, but I've been doing it for 4 years on top of school full time, research and volunteering. I haven't had this low level of commitment since high school. Making sure I enjoy every second of it before that all goes away in July.

Is there any scientific evidence that structured pre-studying has no significant benefit? :shrug: Just curious.

EDIT: All I could find in my brief search was this study below...unfortunately, I can't access it to "critically" analyze it. :p

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21745061

A prematriculation intervention to improve the adjustment of students to medical school.
Wilson WA, Henry MK, Ewing G, Rehmann J, Canby CA, Gray JT, Finnerty EP.

Abstract
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:
The transition from a baccalaureate program to a medical curriculum can be a difficult period for some students. Our study asked whether providing students with review materials and a means of assessing their degree of preparedness prior to matriculation influenced actual and perceived performance in 1st-year basic science courses.

METHODS:
Didactic review materials in basic science subjects encountered in the 1st year were made available to prematriculants online. Access to materials for each subject was contingent upon completion of a pretest. Prematriculants were free to use the materials as they saw fit. Once students matriculated, performance in basic science subjects was compared between those who had accessed the materials and those who had not. Students who accessed the materials were also surveyed to determine if they perceived any benefit from their use.

RESULTS:
More than half of matriculants chose to access the intervention materials. There was no significant difference in MCAT, prerequisite grade point average, or total grade point average between those students who chose to access the intervention materials and those who did not. Students who accessed the intervention materials reported gains in confidence in their ability to perform well in medical school. Those students who accessed the intervention materials had significantly higher examination scores in an early basic science course than those who did not.

CONCLUSIONS:
An online prematriculation intervention can provide useful background material to interested students. Access to this material increased performance in a 1st-year basic science course and was perceived as valuable by students.

PMID: 21745061 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Is there any scientific evidence that structured pre-studying has no significant benefit? :shrug: Just curious.

EDIT: All I could find in my brief search was this study below...unfortunately, I can't access it to "critically" analyze it. :p

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21745061

A prematriculation intervention to improve the adjustment of students to medical school.
Wilson WA, Henry MK, Ewing G, Rehmann J, Canby CA, Gray JT, Finnerty EP.

Abstract
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:
The transition from a baccalaureate program to a medical curriculum can be a difficult period for some students. Our study asked whether providing students with review materials and a means of assessing their degree of preparedness prior to matriculation influenced actual and perceived performance in 1st-year basic science courses.

METHODS:
Didactic review materials in basic science subjects encountered in the 1st year were made available to prematriculants online. Access to materials for each subject was contingent upon completion of a pretest. Prematriculants were free to use the materials as they saw fit. Once students matriculated, performance in basic science subjects was compared between those who had accessed the materials and those who had not. Students who accessed the materials were also surveyed to determine if they perceived any benefit from their use.

RESULTS:
More than half of matriculants chose to access the intervention materials. There was no significant difference in MCAT, prerequisite grade point average, or total grade point average between those students who chose to access the intervention materials and those who did not. Students who accessed the intervention materials reported gains in confidence in their ability to perform well in medical school. Those students who accessed the intervention materials had significantly higher examination scores in an early basic science course than those who did not.

CONCLUSIONS:
An online prematriculation intervention can provide useful background material to interested students. Access to this material increased performance in a 1st-year basic science course and was perceived as valuable by students.

PMID: 21745061 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Interesting study! People should really get ready for Anatomy because I heard it is a hell of class in med school...

Where do people get the money for this? Studying abroad is one of the things I regret not doing in Undergrad, I would love to travel but just cant find the opportunities.

Last edited:
Where do people get the money for this? Studying abroad is one of the things I regret not doing in Undergrad, I would love to travel but just cant find the opportunities.
Work hard, play hard. I can't tell you where to get the money from other than you need to seek opportunities that both compensate you and give you useable experience

August is getting closer and closer, have nerves set in for everybody yet? You only get one chance at med school, no turning back now.

August is getting closer and closer, have nerves set in for everybody yet? You only get one chance at med school, no turning back now.

Yes, but at the same time I'm sick of not learning. I'll admit it's scary knowing that school is going to be a big challenge but I'm ready to find out if I have what it takes. I imagine it will kind of be like the first time I went white water kayaking, albeit for a much longer timescale. Starting school will be like going around the river bend and seeing the rapids for the first time. Immediately, you'll think "what did I get myself into?" Then, the realization that you have long passed the point of no return. Finally, you enter the "sink or swim" mindset. You give it all you got and make downstream or drown. Except you won't drown in med school, you just fail out with a nice chunk of debt.

You gotta leave your comfort zone to find out what you're made of.

Reactions: 3 users