I know this has been brought up before, but - SERIOUS COLD FEET

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a lease signed and movers scheduled. I'm getting ready to do this, but the question is do I WANT to do it. I am having serious bad thoughts and cold feet lately, to the point where I sat up for hours in the dark last night freaking out.

This may be something only other "non-trads" may understand; but I am really wondering if $160K+ in debt is worth a job that is only going to pay $70K for the first few years at least. I stand to be in debt until I'm 60!! When will I ever be able to break from working for family? I already have worked full time in the clinic for several years; and I'm pretty sure I hate clients and don't want to do that. So where does that leave me? I like the animals and the medicine but there are a lot of aspects to this job that really don't appeal to me.

I've worked so hard for the last few years and sacrificed so much for this I almost feel like i HAVE to go. If I don't, I have NO IDEA what else I would do!! But I feel like there has to be a better way then to bury myself in soooo much debt!!! Vet school = 4 years = another 4 years I won't get to enjoy riding horses and my other hobbies = another 4 years of hellish school / studying = another 4 years putting off family, buying a house, saving for retirement, etc.

Sorry for the rant, and maybe this is all normal, but I'm really freaking out. I hope I'm making the right decision. Anyone else feel this way??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes... I do feel that way. I just freak out about it periodically and then shove it way, way back down there. I can't believe the giant pit of debt I'm about to voluntarily jump into. But people keep telling me "It will be okay" - and you know what? It will. We MAY end up in debt up to our eyeballs till we're 60 - but I suppose there are worse fates, and you gotta take the big risks to get the big rewards. I know that continuing to do what I've been doing is not an option, so here I go...

meadow36, I went through the same exact thing!! I know exactly what you mean. Periodically throughout the school year, I also find myself comparing my personal situation to those of my younger classmates. Aside from being EXTREMELY envious of their having so much more time to pay off their debt and ensure a good retirement (!!!), it's not too bad....

What got me through the whole "what if I'm making the worst financial mistake of my life?" thing is thinking that, hey--one day I'll be 32--or 40--or whatever--anyway. If I'm going to be 32--or 40--or whatever age ANYWAY, then it's pretty darn clear to me that it's better to be 32 AND a veterinarian. Can you imagine the "what-ifs" you would go through if you backed out?? How heartbreaking THAT would be?

If you really do decide to back out for whatever reason after your first, second, whatever year (hey, it happens), then at least for the rest of your life, you'll KNOW what happened when you went to vet school. You won't always be wondering what if. You'll be a bit more in debt, but not the whole four years' worth and you will have learned enough about yourself to make that hunk of money worth it. (And it will likely be paid off more quickly with a more lucrative career if you decide to veer away from vet med! :D)

Seriously, though--I've been there. It's scary, it's terrifying--but would you rather have tried vet school and decided it wasn't for you and you can't deal with the debt, or not tried vet school and always wonder?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm right there with you Meadow!! It is a huge financial burden we are taking on.

I just have to comfort myself by remembering that I just can't see my life going anywhere but vet med. There's nothing I would rather do. Sometimes you have to close your eyes, hold your breath and jump.

meadow, when i first started gaining vet experience, i worked for an older vet who didn't go to vet school until he was 40. when i asked him what motivated him to go at that time in his life he said, "I would rather do what i love for one year, than never do it at all." even though you will leave vet school in more debt than most people can imagine, you will have the opportunity to do what you love/love what you do. pack and head to vet school, everything else will fall into place. :)

I am SOOOOO glad to hear that I am not the only one with a huge case of cold feet, and yes I am a serious non-trad as well, so it may well be an age-related thing or something. In my case it was not so much whether I should go to vet school as it was the cost, and should I go to the school I want to, or the cheaper one that will give me the same DVM in the end? Turning back was not a real option for me; I had already sacrificed my marriage, my far better paying job and pretty much my entire previous life when I made the jump back to school. My thing was how much debt I was getting into, and if the added cost of my preferred school was really worth the difference in debt load I'd have when I got out. Being a vet has always been my life dream, and not following through with it during my first try at college had always been my biggest regret -- I am not about to allow myself to quit on it again.

In the end I had to just pack my stuff and start heading out to MN. My plan was to drop my stuff off in St Paul, and drive out to the other school to take a look there as well. Funny thing is, as much angst and agony as I put myself through in the weeks leading up to it, once I drove into my new town, I just knew. Once I got here the doubts dissolved slowly away, and after only two days in my new apartment, I feel calmer and happier than I have in several months. I am now OK with my initial decision (somehow I suspect the doubts will return after the newness wears off, but I am not going to think about that just yet. :p). I also feel bad about holding a spot at two schools for so long, but I just had to think selfishly for once, and do what was best for me, on my own time. Someone on an out of state wait list is going to get a nice phone call next week telling them they get to go to vet school afterall. :)

I really like that quote from the vet who went to school at 40, it truly will be better to have been a vet for even just one year than to have never done it at all.

Oh geez, you have no idea. My feet are figuratively freezing. For some reason, I have been torturing myself by looking at the VIN message boards on all the discussions about student loan debt and new grad salaries. Many of the seasoned veterinarians say things like, "I would have chosen another career before going $150,000 in debt. That is a foolish decision and new grads deserve what they get," and "All new grads should expect to work 60 hours a week on $50K a year." So I imagine myself in 4 years overworked, poor, tired, and wondering what the hell I got myself in to. I will be 30 when I graduate, and I wonder when I will have the time or money to have kids, or if I will have to sacrifice that too. Kind of takes the gleam off of my shiny acceptance!

The idea of NOT going to vet school, however, makes me much more sad. So off I go....

Oh geez, you have no idea. My feet are figuratively freezing. For some reason, I have been torturing myself by looking at the VIN message boards on all the discussions about student loan debt and new grad salaries. Many of the seasoned veterinarians say things like, "I would have chosen another career before going $150,000 in debt. That is a foolish decision and new grads deserve what they get

My local vet I'm working with this summer said almost those exact same words. She graduated from Ohio 10 years ago in-state, and cannot believe the tuition we pay these days, even IS. When I told her my lab partner pays $40,000 OOS tuition, she says she would have never went to vet school if she would have had to pay that much for it.

would you rather have tried vet school and decided it wasn't for you and you can't deal with the debt, or not tried vet school and always wonder?

Exactly! I dont know, perhaps Im strange but I have NO and I mean not one reservation about going to vetschool. Maybe because right now Im too busy freaking over the facts....

44 days until school starts
My current house is unsold with no prospective contracts
Still havent secured a place to live in GA yet.
Rent in GA is 3x the amount of my mortgage in DE.
As of July 3, I will have no income to speak of and will be relying on loans, DH income and charity (lots of charity--LOL)
Kids start school in GA---get this--AUGUST 3rd! :eek:
Because we dont know where we are going to live, we cant register kids for school or set up after school daycare and preschool.

Basically, I think Im numb to the whole anxiety thing at this point. :laugh:

I'd be lying if I said that I don't think about the money...a lot (esp. since I'm going OOS). Also, I've spent the last 2 years working my butt off for my M.S., but I haven't taken more than 2 classes at a time (usually 1 class, TAed 2 sections and did lab work) and I am worried about being thrown into a very full course-load. I'm also scrambling to finish my thesis and every day I panic a little bit that I'm not quite done yet (and have to present this research in the middle of July EEK)! Then I have to relocate with my 2 cats and 2 horses (will probably drive 3 days). It's all a lot to take in and I think that if people are anticipating the start of the school year, there is no way to not be a little worried. Hang in there, we're all going through much of the same thing....all that said, it is not too late to back out if you genuinely only want to follow through with this because you think people expect it.

Exactly! I dont know, perhaps Im strange but I have NO and I mean not one reservation about going to vetschool.

After trying for 10+ years, I wouldn't be brave enough to let myself be scared. I would have hoped and begged and prayed so much that, if finally let in, I would just go with it lest I be smote lightning-style. :D

Everyone needs to take a step back, take some deep breaths, and remind themselves why they wanted this so much in the first place. Pretend you're trying to write a PS again and dig around for that crucial moment, that sense of urgency... if that's not enough to outweigh the cold feet, then you should really consider your future at this point. $0.02.

Good luck, guys. :)

I have severe moments of cold feet. Of serious trepidation. Loneliness and anxiety.

My husband will live 3.5 hours from me...not far, but far enough that visits will be few and far between due to his work responsibilities and my course schedule.

We move an associate into our house August 1st to live in a suite of rooms. She is a vet tech and pet sitter. Some anxiety there. She comes with 2 dogs and a cat.

We bought a house. We have mortgages on 2 houses. The house near vet school needed updating, so I am in the middle of massive priming/painting projects.

I am losing an entire lifestyle of travel, adventure, consulting and leaving for jobs on a moments notice, or traveling with hubby for his work. I am leaving my general active work-a-holic round-the-clock movement to sit in classes and labs for ~7 hours a day + study time.

I have to split my pack of dogs up. I can't figure out a way to continue SAR work while at school (can't exactly take off for 6 days for a hot search 2 states away.) I have spent significant time training for SAR work for 7 years. I bought a dog from an amazing breeder for SAR work. She is amazing...and now I am going to waste her skills and talents. Half my dogs will live with hubby, half with me.

I am delaying, yet again, starting a family. Maybe permenantly. Also probably won't get to see my extended family (including grandparents) very often. Afraid I may lose them before I am out of school. Also, my grandmother's ONLY wish now is to see a great grandchild from me. She has never expressed any other desire (and it isn't the kind of nagging pressure type of desire, but rather the wistful type.)

Our home in Charlotte is a dream home with enough acreage to put in gardens, walking trails, etc. Streams, woods, wildflower fields. The money we spent on this would have enabled us to buy 20 more acres behind the house, including a stable, pastures, and a pond. Not a viable option now. The area is developing quickly, so not likely to exist by the time we could afford to do so again.

This means my husband puts off his dream of a career change.

I haven't really been in a classroom as a true student in nearly a decade.

I keep hearing every vet student fails something. I have NEVER failed an exam or a class. The idea terrifies me, especially when I hear that from students who pulled 4.0's through undergrad.

I don't REALLY know what I want to do in teh field of vet med. I come from a farm childhood, devoted years of my life to wildlife and exotics, and to behavior, including companion animals. I already have 'as long as we are in business, we will hire you' offers if I go into behavior.

The good news is, when I step past that, when I have the moments of clarity, it is so perfectly right. The emotion is exquisite, like the moment I would see the first glow of a lighthouse across the dark distance of Atlantic ocean at night after a month at sea. I try to give myself moments of clarity through lots of activity, exercise, etc. I try not to leave myself with energy to stay awake at night pondering. If I do ponder, I work on painting the house. Or working the gardens. Or practicing search work (moving towards cadaver work since it is often not as time sensitive.)

My understanding is that the worst thing is not trying and failing, or even trying and making the decision it just isn't for you....the worst thing is wondering if you had given it a a shot if it would be the perfect match for you.

As someone who worked for 10+ years after college before going to vet school, I understand your feelings of giving up your relatively comfortable life as a functional adult for the unknown. And to be honest, there are things (social isolation, no money) that really do suck about being a student again after so many years of relative financial freedom. But there are good things about vet school too, like not having to work :), and feeling intellectually challenged again, that you won't realize until you are in it.

Remember too that you don't have to deal with clients in the traditional vet clinic either after school if you don't want to - there are plenty of jobs in government where you don't have to deal with clients, or you can do research, or my favorite - pathology!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if it's relevant or not, but I wanted to throw it out there that it's also OK if you're not as gung-ho (sp?) as some of the above posters to the point of not being able to see yourself in any other career. I'm also non-trad and terrified of the debt and am currently looking for ways to avoid taking out personal loans on top of the Stafford, Perkins, and Health Professions… I'm as enthused as the rest to be starting school soon and am so grateful to have been given the chance to pursue this career, but there are also other professions I can see myself being equally as satisfied in…. ones that would have been cheaper to pursue. I chose vet med because, when I reached the crossroads and had to make a decision, it was the career goal I was the closest to obtaining, and it's a future I can see myself 100% satisfied with. I guess my point is, it doesn't have to be the be-all-end-all for you, as long as you know that you can see yourself living a happy life as Dr. meadow36 J

I checked out your schools website, and would suggest contacting their "Office for Students and Instruction." It looks like there's a nice support group over there, and I bet they could sit you down with (or put you in touch with, if you're too far away) someone who is familiar with all of your fears and anxieties, including which branch of vet med might best suit your likes/dislikes, and address your financial concerns…

Hth!

I keep hearing every vet student fails something. I have NEVER failed an exam or a class. The idea terrifies me, especially when I hear that from students who pulled 4.0's through undergrad.

I can only speak for UT, but I really can't imagine this being the case at any school (as far as failing classes goes). At UT if you fail a class, you fail the entire semester and have to repeat the semester. I know most of the time 1 or 2 people might fail and have to go into the next years class, but that's definitely not the majority of students. No one has failed out of my class.

As far as failing tests, that's more likely to happen than failing the whole semester, but it's definitely avoidable. It's doable to get all As in vet school. It's hard to do, but not unheard of. And there are many people who get As and Bs. So, you're not doomed for failure from the beginning like some people may imply.We had a class last year that it was really uncommon to get higher than a C on the test, but our professor curved everyone up at the end. Most people failed those tests, but everyone knew there was no reason to freak out. My average was somewhere around a 65 and I ended up with an A, so that just goes to show you that it's not always a big deal to fail a test.

So, I hope this helps ease the nerves just a bit. :) Good luck to you...you will be fine. Vet school is definitely worth all the trouble in my opinion.

I highly recommend that you go to vet school because you never want to wonder "What if.....?" At least go and if you decide it is not for you, then you can withdraw. At least you would have tried...While working on my undergrad, I always thought in the back of my mind that I should try to apply to vet school. Purchased the VCAT prep book (needed to take that test at that time....does this age me? :rolleyes:) and visited the vet school open house, but never thinking that I was smart enough to survive vet school. Well its fifteen years later and I am applying (better late than never right???) because I always had the "What if?" in the back of my mind. I have been teaching high school for almost ten years and lately, the "What if?s" were becoming more prevalent, so I decided to at least apply so that I know that I have tried. Don't want any regrets even though I will be 40 if I get accepted next year!!! So my recommendation to you is
GO FOR IT and don't look back!!!! Good luck!!! BTW, I will be applying to UF as well so maybe I will see you there next year!!:xf:

I can only speak for UT, but I really can't imagine this being the case at any school (as far as failing classes goes). At UT if you fail a class, you fail the entire semester and have to repeat the semester. I know most of the time 1 or 2 people might fail and have to go into the next years class, but that's definitely not the majority of students. No one has failed out of my class.

As far as failing tests, that's more likely to happen than failing the whole semester, but it's definitely avoidable. It's doable to get all As in vet school. It's hard to do, but not unheard of. And there are many people who get As and Bs. So, you're not doomed for failure from the beginning like some people may imply.We had a class last year that it was really uncommon to get higher than a C on the test, but our professor curved everyone up at the end. Most people failed those tests, but everyone knew there was no reason to freak out. My average was somewhere around a 65 and I ended up with an A, so that just goes to show you that it's not always a big deal to fail a test.

So, I hope this helps ease the nerves just a bit. :) Good luck to you...you will be fine. Vet school is definitely worth all the trouble in my opinion.

I think she was using our "usual" definition of "failing" a class -- getting a C. On that note I will have to say that I as well expect to "fail" at something in vet school. It has been my experience that there is always one class I just don't get no matter how hard I try. In undergrad it was calculus, in grad school I just could not grasp human neuroanatomy -- there I had a 78% where as the class average was like a 92%, but thankfully the prof still rounded me up to a B. So much for my 4.0 in grad school, and so be it.

Anyhow, I have learned especially as I get to the higher level (500+) classes that there will always be that white elephant I just will not click with, and I will struggle. I simply work twice as hard, then accept my inevitable scar without too much regret after it is done. Remember, what do you call the lady in the white coat who got a C in surgery? Doctor! :laugh:

I think she was using our "usual" definition of "failing" a class -- getting a C. On that note I will have to say that I as well expect to "fail" at something in vet school. It has been my experience that there is always one class I just don't get no matter how hard I try. In undergrad it was calculus, in grad school I just could not grasp human neuroanatomy -- there I had a 78% where as the class average was like a 92%, but thankfully the prof still rounded me up to a B. So much for my 4.0 in grad school, and so be it.

Anyhow, I have learned especially as I get to the higher level (500+) classes that there will always be that white elephant I just will not click with, and I will struggle. I simply work twice as hard, then accept my inevitable scar without too much regret after it is done. Remember, what do you call the lady in the white coat who got a C in surgery? Doctor! :laugh:

One of our professors here likes to say, "the students who get A's in vet school make great researchers, those who get B's make the best business people, and those who get C's make excellent vets." He also likes to remind us that C = DVM, especially when we're all freaking out about "doing poorly" on an exam (as in, getting a C+ :laugh:).

I haven't failed any classes, and the majority of my class hasn't either. I did "fail" an exam, which here means that I got under a 70% (I got a 67%), because there are no D's. (I don't know if this is the same in US schools or not) Fortunately that was the first exam of the class, and I still had another midterm plus the final to bring my grade up!

Meadow, I definitely know how you feel. I didn't have any problems before I came here, or during my first semester, but last semester and this semester I've been having major doubts. But I think it takes a special kind of person to work so hard and sacrifice so much, especially when you're non-trad and no longer in your early twenties. I'm only 23 and I already feel like I'm behind because I took a year off between undergrad and vet school, and so many of my classmates from high school and college are already started in their careers. I guess the best advice I can give you is, just remember that school isn't forever, and once you're done with it, you can start your dream career! 4 years isn't a short amount of time, but it isn't too long, either, and it'll go by fast. And like alliecat said, you can always leave after a year (or 2, or 3) if you decide you'd be happier doing something else.

Okay, someone's gonna want to shoot me in the head if I pull out one more inspirational quote (especially since it's from Hillary Duff movie :laugh:), but I can't resist: "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." And remember that we're all here for you. :) *hugs!*

This is exactly why I stopped taking my prereqs four years ago. At the time, I was single, I had nobody to support me, and I lived in a state with no vet college or contract. I am now going back to college, and I have a better support system--and I'm considering vet school. The amount of debt I would be incurring, even as an in-state student, still makes me go :eek:.

I'm also doubtful that a clinic setting is where I want to be, and wondering what else is out there (and how competitive it is to get into!).

Nope, referring to D's and below. Accompanied by the letters of warning and academic probation. Whether or not it is true...I don't know. I can honestly say though, I have never scored lower than a C on an exam.... and I will find it hard to deal with poorer grades than that.

The students who told me this were not being melodramatic on other things (like cliches, terminal surgery, field selection, internship/residency, etc). They had been 3.8+ students in undergrad. At least one admitted that perhaps being so high in undergrad left them unprepared for the rigor of vet school. They also said the first year was the worst. So, who knows. Maybe an odd group that I met. Maybe better opportunities to recover. Maybe they were failing but a last minute curve saved them? I have no idea. It has inspired me to prepare for continuous incremental review. And to spend extra time, from the beginning, in the anatomy labs!

For all I know, they are just trying to make each other feel better...or scare off less prepared pre-vets!

Not sure if it's relevant or not, but I wanted to throw it out there that it's also OK if you're not as gung-ho (sp?) as some of the above posters to the point of not being able to see yourself in any other career. I'm also non-trad and terrified of the debt and am currently looking for ways to avoid taking out personal loans on top of the Stafford, Perkins, and Health Professions… I'm as enthused as the rest to be starting school soon and am so grateful to have been given the chance to pursue this career, but there are also other professions I can see myself being equally as satisfied in…. ones that would have been cheaper to pursue. I chose vet med because, when I reached the crossroads and had to make a decision, it was the career goal I was the closest to obtaining, and it's a future I can see myself 100% satisfied with. I guess my point is, it doesn't have to be the be-all-end-all for you, as long as you know that you can see yourself living a happy life as Dr. meadow36 J

I just wanted to say that I really like this attitude and approach. I have seen so many people who can't, for very real reasons, pursue the career they desire and have dreamed of all their life. Astronaut ruled out due to near-sightedness. Military career due to damage from lyme disease that went undiagnosed for years. Medical lab career due to transplant immunosupression. Religious career in a specific church due to gender. Too often these individuals are crushed, and embrace the shortcoming as a mark of who they are.... insisting that they have failed, rather than delighting in the possibilities of other careers that are as suitable for them. I think part of it is a culture that suggests there is a 'right' career for each person...and a belief in meritocracy supported from early childhood by comments like 'you can be whatever you want as long as you work hard enough.' I found what you wrote refreshing, accurate, and valid. There are other careers I could pursue...other jobs where I am happy. This is the course I want for my life at this time. I will be content as a veterinarian, but there are always other options.

I just wanted to say that I really like this attitude and approach. I have seen so many people who can't, for very real reasons, pursue the career they desire and have dreamed of all their life. Astronaut ruled out due to near-sightedness. Military career due to damage from lyme disease that went undiagnosed for years. Medical lab career due to transplant immunosupression. Religious career in a specific church due to gender. Too often these individuals are crushed, and embrace the shortcoming as a mark of who they are.... insisting that they have failed, rather than delighting in the possibilities of other careers that are as suitable for them. I think part of it is a culture that suggests there is a 'right' career for each person...and a belief in meritocracy supported from early childhood by comments like 'you can be whatever you want as long as you work hard enough.' I found what you wrote refreshing, accurate, and valid. There are other careers I could pursue...other jobs where I am happy. This is the course I want for my life at this time. I will be content as a veterinarian, but there are always other options.

OK that is a VERY different thing. Not being able to become a professional sports athlete because of a lack of the needed skills. Not being able to become a human or animal doctor because you are not smart enough. Before I get crucified here, remember that I as well was cut from following my first dream because while I was a pretty good collegiate hockey player I was at best marginal in the NHL. We all know there is a sharp Darwinian selection criteria/survival of the fittest here in the real world. That is just the way it is, and if you can not measure up that is just the way the cookie crumbles. But, I am assuming that at the very least those who have made it this far have at least passed the threshold for being able to measure up to being admitted to professional school. In that vein, a less than a passing grad in a course is indeed a valid reason for expulsion from such a critical field. If you cannot pass a course with at least a C, then maybe indeed you need to be sent back to the minor leagues or be removed from the program. From what I have heard and seen, once you are accepted into the "vet club", they will do absolutely everything in their powers to see that you complete successfully the program. Absolutely everything they can do. If after their best efforts you cannot pass the muster, well maybe you just are not cut out to become a doctor. There are worse things in the world, like being as ugly as I am! :laugh:

CaninePro, you are combining my responses to different aspects of a topic.

The reply you quoted was actually about the statement by Shanomong:

Not sure if it's relevant or not, but I wanted to throw it out there that it's also OK if you're not as gung-ho (sp?) as some of the above posters to the point of not being able to see yourself in any other career. ....I'm as enthused as the rest to be starting school soon and am so grateful to have been given the chance to pursue this career, but there are also other professions I can see myself being equally as satisfied in….

The topic of grades wasn't ANY PART of this post. Two concepts, same thread. Didn't mean to cause confusion to you, or anyone else. I was actually commenting that I think this is a HEALTHY attitude, and that it is an attitude I don't see as frequently as I like. That often I see the attitude of individuals as 'I didn't get to do my dream for whatever reason and that is the ONLY dream that could have ever satisfied my life.'

The grade topic is completly seperate aspect of the conversation for me. I didn't even MENTION grades in the post you quoted, so I am not sure why you combined them. I am not sure why you are comparing admiration for Shanomong's perspective with "Not being able to become a human or animal doctore because you are not smart enough." I do disagree that our current society selects for survival of the fittest based solely on individual criteria. At least in American human society, it also selects heavily for familial contributions to success.

Anyways, so far I have never had less than a C on any exam or in any course. Hopefully that won't change with vet school, but that doesn't mean hearing other current students say that it happens to everyone doesn't heighten my anxiety about it. I know of several people, even on these forums, who have been admitted into vet school when they couldn't pass a course, at least the first time around. Are you suggesting that they should never have had another opportunity to pass and/or eventually apply and enter vet/med school in this statement?:

" In that vein, a less than a passing grad in a course is indeed a valid reason for expulsion from such a critical field. If you cannot pass a course with at least a C, then maybe indeed you need to be sent back to the minor leagues or be removed from the program. "

I am not suggesting that I agree or disagree. I haven't wasted a lot of energy on determining how I feel about anyone else being removed from a program, and I don't intend to have that issue to contend with myself.

As for the rest of it:

"From what I have heard and seen, once you are accepted into the "vet club", they will do absolutely everything in their powers to see that you complete successfully the program. Absolutely everything they can do. If after their best efforts you cannot pass the muster, well maybe you just are not cut out to become a doctor. "

I personally do not have experience with all the vet schools, so I have no idea if this is true or not. In the schools I am most familiar with, I was told that the tools are there, the help is there if you need/want/request it. Also, that contradicts everything I have heard about some vet schools like Ross. Either way, it isn't relevant to my admiration for Shanomong's perspective on multiple careers being a suitable fit for an individual.

Don't worry so much about grades; you may fail a test here and there, but failing a class is very unusual. We all worry about this at first, but trust me, it is not worth stressing about that aspect of vet school.
That BS about someone not being smart enough is pompous and merely a way of stating that "Hey, I am entering a profession where only super smart people are accepted - therefore, by default, I am super smart" This kind of thinking is very common in vet school due to the abundance of low self-esteem personalities. Kinda of sad really. The vets that tend to be the most successful in my experience, operate on the premise that most people out there are smart in one way or another - we may just not be observant enough to realize that.
I think the real concern is the debt. My advice would be to go to vet school wherever it will be the cheapest for you. Pretty much all vet schools are going to offer comparable training, and none are worth 120,000 dollars more than any other school. For the record, I am a senior at one of the "top" - whatever that means - schools in the country.
You guys will all be fine in the end, and a case of cold feet reflects that you are thinking about the potential problems with your chosen paths - that is the first step to coming up with a solution, and anyone not thinking about those things is either naive or wealthy. Good luck.

I know of a couple vets that have done VERY well for themselves (financially speaking). I think that it depends on whether or not you specialize and how business savvy you are. The salary averages we constantly refer to are just averages-- not a salary ceiling. :)

Sumstorm and all,
first of all I am not picking a fight with anyone here, I was actually believe it or not backing up your statements. :laugh: Hard to believe knowing our past huh! Anyhow, another factor is how our own perspectives change between before and after our acceptance letters come. Trust me, that C in calculus just about killed me when I got it. Also as far as grades/vet schools "saving" you, Ross does not really count in the discussion, at least until after they as well have weeded out the ones who are not going to make it. From my understanding, most vet schools weed out the candidates who are not strong enough during the admissions process, while places like Ross, St. Georges and Western do so with a very rigorous first year of classes, much like they do in law school. In the end, all schools graduate very capable practitioners, they simply go about finding them in different ways. I am not making aspersions on Ross students here either, I think most all of us have met and worked with awesome vets who came from there, sometimes I think that they may actually have a better, more real world curriculum than some of the US schools.

Anyhow I will have to disagree on one point. While many can and do go through several different prospective career paths before finding a few options that they will be completely satisfied with, there are indeed those few, myself included in that group, who simply must follow one very specific path or they will spend their lives in deepest regret. That does not mean that they are ultimately able to follow their dreams due to aptitude or circumstance, but if we are not able to fulfill our dreams we may well live out the rest of our lives in regret. Kind of like every little 8 year old wants to grow up to be a pro ball player, or an astronaut. Most do not have the required skills and will be forced to move on to other, more attainable dreams. But a very few, even if they do not have the aptitude to play in the majors, are simply compelled by their passion to immerse themselves in the area in what ever capacity they are able to, be it coaching, working in the front office or what have you.

Look, what I was trying to say is that life is rough, and yes you do have to be able to perform at a certain level to be allowed to play in some fields, like vet med. But once it is determined that you have the threshold skills, beyond that point there is no reason to beat yourself up over one outlier class that you do not do so well in.

Anyhow, enough rambling. I feel so good about my decision now that I am moved into the new town, and am chomping at the bit to get going. My feet are nice and toasty! :cool:

Caninerepro,

Where did you get your information that Western "weeds out their students" in the first year? Western is an AVMA accredited school. As such, they do everything any other accredited school would do to keep their students and should have no reason to "weed out." Ross weeds out because they accept more students then they can send to clinicals. They also weed out because they have a reputation to uphold. If one of their students goes to the states and does poorly, it reflects on Ross and they have everything to lose. Where as schools that are AVMA accredited often go to great legnths (maybe too great in some circumstances that I have seen persoanlly when working at Penn Vet) to keep their students. So, just wondering where that statement (as you seem to know it to be fact) came from or if you've thrown it into the mix of non-accredited schools because its new and innovative and no one really knows what to expect?

And just to state some facts, Ross quotes its total attrition rate as 15 - 17 percent. Where as I REMEMBER the VMSAR book saying about 4 people out of about 100 (4 percent) left for academic reasons or otherwise. Can someone confirm or dispute this for me?

Caninerepro,

Where did you get your information that Western "weeds out their students" in the first year? Western is an AVMA accredited school. As such, they do everything any other accredited school would do to keep their students and should have no reason to "weed out." Ross weeds out because they accept more students then they can send to clinicals. They also weed out because they have a reputation to uphold. If one of their students goes to the states and does poorly, it reflects on Ross and they have everything to lose. Where as schools that are AVMA accredited often go to great legnths (maybe too great in some circumstances that I have seen persoanlly when working at Penn Vet) to keep their students. So, just wondering where that statement (as you seem to know it to be fact) came from or if you've thrown it into the mix of non-accredited schools because its new and innovative and no one really knows what to expect?

Sorry, perhaps I have been misinformed about Western. I was just going by what I had heard from other vets, and because it is owned by / closely associated with Banfield. I have NO personal knowledge of Western, I was just going by what veterinarians I had worked with have told me goes on, and what they think of Western graduates. No offense intended. :oops: Again I apologize.

Last edited:
Just to clarify Western is NOT owned by banfield. Western is a non-profit organization. Yes there is a banfield on campus, used as a teaching facility, NOT open to the public and in no way are the students who attend Western obligated to banfield.

Hey, Meadow, I know you asked somewhere else, but I couldn't find the thread. I was offered COA in un sub stafford's for vet school, despite the shockingly high EFC due to my husband's career.

Many of the seasoned veterinarians say things like, "I would have chosen another career before going $150,000 in debt. That is a foolish decision and new grads deserve what they get," !
So off I go....

You have to remember these seasoned vets have already been to vet school. They know what it was like and they likely were able to go for a much different tuition rate.

The things you think of retrospectively are not always what you would have thought of prospectively.

Ok so I have a lease signed and movers scheduled. I'm getting ready to do this, but the question is do I WANT to do it. I am having serious bad thoughts and cold feet lately, to the point where I sat up for hours in the dark last night freaking out.

This may be something only other "non-trads" may understand; but I am really wondering if $160K+ in debt is worth a job that is only going to pay $70K for the first few years at least. I stand to be in debt until I'm 60!! When will I ever be able to break from working for family? I already have worked full time in the clinic for several years; and I'm pretty sure I hate clients and don't want to do that. So where does that leave me? I like the animals and the medicine but there are a lot of aspects to this job that really don't appeal to me.

I've worked so hard for the last few years and sacrificed so much for this I almost feel like i HAVE to go. If I don't, I have NO IDEA what else I would do!! But I feel like there has to be a better way then to bury myself in soooo much debt!!! Vet school = 4 years = another 4 years I won't get to enjoy riding horses and my other hobbies = another 4 years of hellish school / studying = another 4 years putting off family, buying a house, saving for retirement, etc.

Sorry for the rant, and maybe this is all normal, but I'm really freaking out. I hope I'm making the right decision. Anyone else feel this way??

you better check on this. my sister is a veterinarian and a damn good one. the highest salary she could find was $52,000 and she was willing to move her family anywhere in the US to get that. She also has to work saturdays to make that.