I know you want to see my school list !!! (plz help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I'm definitely going to submit within the next few days. I am wondering if you guys can take a look at my list to see if there is any I should add or take away:

Background: nontrad student age 26
Average to below average EC's
Decent stats, 3.8-3.9 GPA depending on how you calculate, 25 AA 24 PAT

UTHSC (Tennessee) - this is my state school.
VCU - currently staying in VA for job, they take lots of OOS.
Louisville - not too far from home, also lots of OOS.
NOVA - I want to live in FL (can't apply to UF though they don't take oos)
LECOM - ditto
UNC - cheap tuition, but very tough for OOS
Pitt - dunno much about the school, but I have some family close by.

Plus the following for no other reason than my stats:

penn
pacific
harvard

Plus two of the following privates for backup just in case (I'd like to avoid if at all possible b/c of heavy price tag)

ASDOH
MSDOH
Western
Midwestern AZ
UNE

The reason why I am applying to backups is because I had to answer YES to one of the questions on the app where

Answering "yes" will not automatically disqualify you for admission to a dental program. Many individuals learn from difficult experiences and emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure enables programs to more effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.

Its not a super big deal (nothing criminal) and I have a good explanation for it but I just want to make sure.

I am ruling out the following schools due to location:

NYU
Columbia
Maryland
Case
Temple (yeah I know its in philly like Penn but in a much worse area of Philly)

And the following based on not meeting this or that requirement like shadowing hours.

Boston
Michigan
Tufts

What do you guys think? Thanks !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Decent stats? You probably don't need any of those private backups. Certainly not two.

UF does take OOS (not too many but they do), also they increased the enrollment to 90 this new cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You look really good to me! I think you'll get accepted as long as everything else in the application is decent. :)

can't apply to UF though they don't take oos

If you really do want to be in Florida and would consider attending UF if they accepted you, I think UF is worth a shot.

Last edited:
You should apply to UF. My sister goes there and she was out of state when she got accepted. She had a 3.65GPA and DAT scores like yours. You really don't need all those other backup schools. As long as you don't have skeletons in your closet, you can pretty much pick where you want to go

The reason why I am applying to backups is because I had to answer YES to one of the questions on the app where

Answering "yes" will not automatically disqualify you for admission to a dental program. Many individuals learn from difficult experiences and emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure enables programs to more effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.

Its not a super big deal (nothing criminal) and I have a good explanation for it but I just want to make sure. I'll edit and put this on my op.