I lost my 4.0 after 3 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KelahRammy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the research, I got so many views for this title. I swear I should write the titles for newspaper articles.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
*rumor on the grapevine is that a 3.95 > 4.0*
:D

But seriously, you do know that medical schools round up. So 1 B+ or A- and you'll probably still keep your 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't wrong to aim high, but you might be aiming high at the cost of enjoying life. You called it, and I'll be the first to say it: a 4.0 isn't the most important thing in the world. Not by a long shot. Go enjoy life, become an interesting person, and stop obsessing over crap that won't matter in a year.

Quit being such a drama queen. I understand that this was some personal obsession of yours (and don't kid yourself, it most definitely is an obsession)... However if "losing" your 4.0 your junior year qualifies as being one of the worst things that has happened to you, you should consider yourself pretty damn lucky.

You get full rides to prestigious medical schools by having an amazing MCAT (probably 37+) and outstanding EC's. I cannot imagine a 3.98 keeping someone from a full-ride (assuming everything else was present).

It's not wrong to aim high or to aspire to be the best that you can be. It is wrong to consider something as trivial as this to be a major problem, especially when you consider the minuscule percentage that will be applying with a GPA anything close to yours. And if you can't help the way you feel, why post this? Are you expecting sympathy?? Geez, all of us here are absolutely heartbroken you have a 3.98. Please accept our sincerest condolences. :sleep:

I think you will live.

Talk to the prof if you would like. Ask to see the exam for sure if you haven't in case there was some clerical error. I understand the emotional hurt one can have in this kind of situation, but trust me there will be worse days.

you got a 3.9 at santa monica college. even if you had a 4.0 at SMC and kept your 4.0 here at ucla, it wouldn't mean anything. CC = joke.

It isn't wrong to aim high, but you might be aiming high at the cost of enjoying life. You called it, and I'll be the first to say it: a 4.0 isn't the most important thing in the world. Not by a long shot. Go enjoy life, become an interesting person, and stop obsessing over crap that won't matter in a year.

This. Nothing wrong with wanting to do well.

I will put it like this; when I start to worry too much about getting straight A's I force myself to examine what part of my life might be lacking. In other words, I feel that when I start to freak out about getting straight A's it means that I am compensating for another part of my life I feel I have no control over. Not saying this is happening with you, but I'm not saying it isn't.

Today is the worst day, I will never forget it.

This is just disrespectful. There are people that have it FAR more difficult than you. It's fine to be upset about a grade when you know you could've done better (I am too), but don't turn it into a tragedy. Save those feelings for the BP oil spill, the attacks in the Gaza strip, and other events that actually matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
you got a 3.9 at santa monica college. even if you had a 4.0 at SMC and kept your 4.0 here at ucla, it wouldn't mean anything. CC = joke.
Pullin' out the truth card. Nice.

i hear the Caribbean has excellent weather all year round.

And they say that premeds get a bad rep.... what were they thinking? :rolleyes:

It's been three years now that I have been in college. I am in a big university where grading is on a + - system, and where A+ and A are 4.0, while A- is 3.7, B+ is 3.3, and on.

I did not get anything lower than an A in ANY any the classes I took, and I did all of my premed requirements.

But today, sadly, I did average on a Final that worth half of my grade. The worst part? I didn't deserve it. I studied and practiced Genetics problem after Genetics problem. I knew all the concepts, but I don't know what went wrong.

Now, for the first time in three years, I am waiting to see my final letter grade knowing for sure it won't be an A.

Am I a perfectionist? No. But did I sacrifice somethings to get to maintain that 4.0 for nearly three years? Yes. I did it not to get into medical school, I did it because I wanted to challenge myself. I dreamt of the moment I would graduate with a 4.0. Obsessed? No. I would say determined, motivated, and persistent.

All of you will tell me that ONE B will not do anything. And that I should shut up for even mentioning it. But the truth is, that ONE B can mean the difference between a Full ride at a prestigious Medical School. Trust me, I know some people who have received it. Not because they had super EC's, but because they maintained a 4.0.

Keeping a 4.0 with a science major is soooooo difficult. I praise those who have done it all four years.

I'm sorry if these kinds of posts annoy you, but I want to see if anyone has been in my situation or not (any 4.0's out there) who can understand where I am coming from.

Is it wrong to aim high? Is it wrong to want to be the best at what you do?

Just so you know, a 3.98 is not that much different than a 4.0.

This is just disrespectful. There are people that have it FAR more difficult than you. It's fine to be upset about a grade when you know you could've done better (I am too), but don't turn it into a tragedy. Save those feelings for the BP oil spill, the attacks in the Gaza strip, and other events that actually matter.

+1

If I am every having a bad day before I go to volunteer at the hospital I always feel better when I leave for this reason. My problems, although more serious than the OP's I will admit, aren't s*** compared to so many in this world.

How would you not deserve the grade you got? It's not like the professor screwed you personally. You worked hard, tried your best, and it didn't work out. A certain Rolling Stones song comes to mind. If the worst thing about your life is that you have a 3.9x GPA, you're doing unbelievably well. However, given how upset you are over this totally insignificant, meaningless issue, I'm going to guess that this is far from your biggest problem, whether you know it or not.

Maintaining a 4.0 even for three years is very tough. Kudos to you for doing as well as you did.
It would probably bother me too if I had maintained a 4.0 for that long and then lost it. However, echoing other posts, try to keep in mind that there's so much more to your life than grades.

You'll still have a good GPA and hey look on the bright side, you don't need to worry about maintaining a 4.0 anymore. As long as the real important things are still around enjoy yourself. Really there are many other things to be happy for, and a bad grade shouldn't matter.

The worst part? I didn't deserve it. I studied and practiced Genetics problem after Genetics problem. I knew all the concepts, but I don't know what went wrong.
I have to use this one on a professor.
Dear Dr. ******,
I do not deserve a grade other then an A+. I studied and everything.
Bust.

It's been three years now that I have been in college. I am in a big university where grading is on a + - system, and where A+ and A are 4.0, while A- is 3.7, B+ is 3.3, and on.

I did not get anything lower than an A in ANY any the classes I took, and I did all of my premed requirements.

But today, sadly, I did average on a Final that worth half of my grade. The worst part? I didn't deserve it. I studied and practiced Genetics problem after Genetics problem. I knew all the concepts, but I don't know what went wrong.

Now, for the first time in three years, I am waiting to see my final letter grade knowing for sure it won't be an A.

Am I a perfectionist? No. But did I sacrifice somethings to get to maintain that 4.0 for nearly three years? Yes. I did it not to get into medical school, I did it because I wanted to challenge myself. I dreamt of the moment I would graduate with a 4.0. Obsessed? No. I would say determined, motivated, and persistent.

All of you will tell me that ONE B will not do anything. And that I should shut up for even mentioning it. But the truth is, that ONE B can mean the difference between a Full ride at a prestigious Medical School. Trust me, I know some people who have received it. Not because they had super EC's, but because they maintained a 4.0.

Keeping a 4.0 with a science major is soooooo difficult. I praise those who have done it all four years.

I'm sorry if these kinds of posts annoy you, but I want to see if anyone has been in my situation or not (any 4.0's out there) who can understand where I am coming from.

Man the f*** up, stop being a greedy grade grubber and move on.

The worst part? I didn't deserve it. I studied and practiced Genetics problem after Genetics problem. I knew all the concepts, but I don't know what went wrong.

The word "deserve" means something than you think it does. Obviously you didn't know all the concepts because you didn't do well. Grades work differently than you think they do.

Get over it. It's a freakin' number. Nobody is going to care about your 4.0. If it's a personal decision/accomplishment, why are you posting about it here? If you really wanted that 4.0, you should have majored in psychology or communications. Simple concept.

College isn't about getting straight As and having super high statistics. It's about experiencing it. And I'm sure as neurotic as you sound, you haven't been experiencing anything other than a shoulder-length-glove exam involving a ton of study time and a lot of books. If you keep up this false dichotomy that <4.0 = fail, you're going to burn out. And you're going to burn out BAD. You might even get your name in the newspaper.

Face it...you didn't EARN a 4.0 and don't deserve one. But when you're on your death bed, you're not going to look back and think about this genetics test...you're going to think about all the experiences you MISSED OUT ON because you were too busy freaking out over the little things. I sincerely hope you do some soul searching and figure out what's important.

What was the point of this post?

Go do something more worthwhile with your life then sit on the internet and mope about getting a B.

I was able to graduate with a 4.0 and I don't think it means jack. Would I have been upset with a B? Sure. Might have to drink an extra shot during happy hour. But guess what, I wish I was doing more in college then focusing on my grades. Freakin extracurriculars are what's gonna sell you.

I don't want to be mean on the interwebz, but one of the above comments made me curious and i checked out the OP's previous posts - everything he wrote above is negated by a previous post (the BA vs BS one) about getting a 3.9 after 2 years at a community college and then transferring to a state school and having a 3.8 or something after a year. So...troll?

If the OPs post is true and not just designed to get peoples' pants in a twist - grow up, drink a little, get a significant other, it'll all be good.

If you don't have a 4.0, you should go check out the podiatry forums. I think the stats a slightly lower. You probably won't get into medschool with a 3.9x. My school has an average gpa of 5.1, with many students topping out at 6.0. You probably ruined your life and I feel for you.

Would you guys say this is similar to losing a perfect game in the 9th on the last out on a blown call?

Personally, I think Rammy here has it far worse.

I swear is your name Trevor. If so you sound just like one of my friends.

UCLA works a little different sometimes..
the professors can be a little crazy and the grading can be "unfair" and definitely frustrating.

You probably won't get into medschool with a 3.9x. My school has an average gpa of 5.1, with many students topping out at 6.0. You probably ruined your life and I feel for you.

Thank you for a much needed laugh :D

How melodramatic. Give me a f*cking break.

Yeah, kid. Garnering sympathy from strangers is a great way to go through life.

Too bad, you would have made a great doctor. :rolleyes:

I hope your best friend whooped your ass today or something. I didn't catch where in your sob story about an imminent 3.98 that your day sucked.

That thread could make a grown man cry.

Didn't believe it until I started reading. Talk about a way to end the evening.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9676709#post9676709

since you had less than 4.0 at a community college you never had a 4.0. All grades of all college classes you ever took anywhere are reported to amcas.

Pwned_by_whale.jpg

Really? Really? Is this **** for real? Boohoo hooooo I lost my 4.0 now I can't get that full ride from a prestigious medical school... waaaaAAAA. Guess what man, you'll be fine and will probably get in somewhere.

But seriously, if this is the "worst day" in your life you need to get some ****ing perspective. People are starving and trying to scrounge for their foods. Kids are dying from war and pestilence. I've survived people trying to kill me AND OF ALL THE ****ING THINGS IN THE WORLD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING 1 ****ING B IN SCHOOL? Not even complain but POSTING it online? You think people here give a flying **** about you getting a B? You are either grossly sheltered or just one pathetic loser. Get a life.