I love OB.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on Sermo but thought it was too good to leave SDN out.

I was on call last pm and had a pretty good night overall. Slept most of the night til 5:30 this am when a call came from OB. 38yo failed home birth, TOLAC (VBAC), stuck at 9-10cm for 24hrs. Thick MEC and get this, she just had a cesarean 12months ago. I know because I did it. So fresh uterine incision basically.

This is were the story gets good. I have been involved in 3 others cases coming from this father/husband. The first was a cesarean after he found a large cervical mass when his last wife went into labor which prevented him from delivering his child vaginally at home. We did a c/s and she started treatment for cervical cancer. I also did the follow up surgery. She passed away shortly afterwards with 4 or 5 children at home. This was about 4 yrs ago. Fast forward to last year when I get called in the middle of the night for a stat c/s on a failed home birth. My jaw dropped when I walked in the room. That baby was in distress when they came in but ended up doing fine. So this morning the OB calls me and says, " your not gonna believe this story." She starts to tell me and I stop her and say I know these people. I did their last 3 surgeries.

So we go to the OR expecting uterine atony, bleeding and some hypotension. Wish I had a cardiology consult to tell me to avoid these things. ;). Just a joke but I had too. The pt has been pushing for over 24 hrs and as not eaten or drank anything during this time. Perfect, she's NPO. Surgery proceeds after uneventful spinal and the baby had a nuchal cord X4. Uterus is a boggy mess with no activity as expected. We get it to respond eventually and the pt avoids a hyst or even PRBC's. Baby does well also.

Back to poppa. His guy is a minister. No ****. He has a following outside of town. I think it's a cult. I don't have any evidence. I also believe he has many other children with many other "wives". It is creepy!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I, too, love OB. Creepy FOB's and all.

I read your post first, figured the story above involved a strange difficult airway and AFOI, and then realized you weren't talking about a fiberoptic bronchoscope at all. Sad times... :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
So, so glad I don't do OB anesthesia.

For some reason, your story reminds me of Jon Hamm playing the Rev. Richard Wayne Gary Wayne on "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" (reasonably funny Netflix show involving this "reverend" kidnapping 4 women and holding them for 15 years in an underground bunker, telling them he had saved them from the apocalypse).
1427102117772.cached.jpg

Noy were these women otherwise normal? If Rev. Polygamist wasn't around, were there any other subtle clues that would have tipped you off that something wasn't quite right?

Other than the decision to VBAC at home, that is.

Another case of "Ya can't fix stupid - stupid is forever".

But pregnancy is beautiful and natural and women have been giving birth beautifully and naturally for millions of years.

I actually like doing OB, during daylight hours at least, but we virtually never see these freakshows in the military system.

I posted this on Sermo but thought it was too good to leave SDN out.

I was on call last pm and had a pretty good night overall. Slept most of the night til 5:30 this am when a call came from OB. 38yo failed home birth, TOLAC (VBAC), stuck at 9-10cm for 24hrs. Thick MEC and get this, she just had a cesarean 12months ago. I know because I did it. So fresh uterine incision basically.

This is were the story gets good. I have been involved in 3 others cases coming from this father/husband. The first was a cesarean after he found a large cervical mass when his last wife went into labor which prevented him from delivering his child vaginally at home. We did a c/s and she started treatment for cervical cancer. I also did the follow up surgery. She passed away shortly afterwards with 4 or 5 children at home. This was about 4 yrs ago. Fast forward to last year when I get called in the middle of the night for a stat c/s on a failed home birth. My jaw dropped when I walked in the room. That baby was in distress when they came in but ended up doing fine. So this morning the OB calls me and says, " your not gonna believe this story." She starts to tell me and I stop her and say I know these people. I did their last 3 surgeries.

So we go to the OR expecting uterine atony, bleeding and some hypotension. Wish I had a cardiology consult to tell me to avoid these things. ;). Just a joke but I had too. The pt has been pushing for over 24 hrs and as not eaten or drank anything during this time. Perfect, she's NPO. Surgery proceeds after uneventful spinal and the baby had a nuchal cord X4. Uterus is a boggy mess with no activity as expected. We get it to respond eventually and the pt avoids a hyst or even PRBC's. Baby does well also.

Back to poppa. His guy is a minister. No ****. He has a following outside of town. I think it's a cult. I don't have any evidence. I also believe he has many other children with many other "wives". It is creepy!!!

You missed your calling Noy.... should have done an OB fellowship and subspecialized in birthing baths... :wacky:

Last edited:
Sorry but vag birth is pretty gross. We don't do vbacs which I agree with... Why? You already have the incision... You want the episiotomy too? I don't get it... Too much risk for no reason imho. Vbac at home? Ridiculous.