PhD/PsyD I love psych, but I want money..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's honestly a surprise. My family and I are immigrants and only in the past 2-3 years has our financial stability become semi-solid. A major reason for why I value money and my potential (realistic) salary is so that I can live without the worries and situations that I've lived in prior to these last few years. I guess I know the value of a dollar.

Members don't see this ad.

This consensus of complacency is very upsetting and discouraging, especially for people my age who genuinely love psych.

I just want to make sure it is abundantly clear that there is a big difference between saying "Here are the numbers that one can realistically expect" and "Here are the numbers that I think psychologists should be paid and its unreasonable for them to advocate for more." I've seen a lot of the former and none of the latter in this thread. I strongly advocate for higher pay in the field, plan on doing things to maximize my own income and plan to advocate for others to do the same.

I'd be doing students and junior colleagues a disservice if I led them to believe the salary potential was higher than it is. To draw a sports analogy...you can still cheer for your favorite team when they are down by 20 points. If someone asks me what the score is...I'm going to tell them the actual score. Doesn't mean I'm not hoping for a comeback (and helping make it happen which I guess is where the analogy falls apart!).

I just bring this up because I've seen several times on this board where realistic depiction of salaries in the field are construed as complacency/acceptance/etc. If one is picking a career SOLELY based on financial ROI, I do think psychology is an unbelievably idiotic choice. Very few of us pick careers in that way.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to make sure it is abundantly clear that there is a big difference between saying "Here are the numbers that one can realistically expect" and "Here are the numbers that I think psychologists should be paid and its unreasonable for them to advocate for more." I've seen a lot of the former and none of the latter in this thread. I strongly advocate for higher pay in the field, plan on doing things to maximize my own income and plan to advocate for others to do the same.

I'd be doing students and junior colleagues a disservice if I led them to believe the salary potential was higher than it is. To draw a sports analogy...you can still cheer for your favorite team when they are down by 20 points. If someone asks me what the score is...I'm going to tell them the actual score. Doesn't mean I'm not hoping for a comeback (and helping make it happen which I guess is where the analogy falls apart!).

I just bring this up because I've seen several times on this board where realistic depiction of salaries in the field are construed as complacency/acceptance/etc.
I understand what you mean and I accept that it's the current reality, but I stated that because I rarely see any dissatisfaction on these boards regarding wages. It seems to me that most people are fine with whatever salary is given to them. This is based solely on my observations, so I'm not sure if circumstances are the same outside of this board.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just bring this up because I've seen several times on this board where realistic depiction of salaries in the field are construed as complacency/acceptance/etc.
I would argue that some of the "realistic expectations" are an underestimate. First hit on google says that the median is 68,900. I wonder if any of the licensed psychologists on this board make that figure or less? I personally haven't made under that since postdoc and wasn't even looking at jobs that paid less than 80k. I agree that we shouldn't say 200k in debt is fine because you'll make 150k, but we seem to undersell it more than we should.

I understand what you mean and I accept that it's the current reality, but I stated that because I rarely see any dissatisfaction on these boards regarding wages. It seems to me that most people are fine with whatever salary is given to them. This is based solely on my observations, so I'm not sure if circumstances are the same outside of this board.

Or that some of us make well over the mean and median as reported in salary surveys. And also have other income streams.

It's good to hear some of you are of a similar mindset as me. I honestly don't understand why so many people automatically say "if you're in it for the money, go elsewhere". It's one thing to love your career, but why would you settle for such low incomes, knowing how hard it was to get to your current position? If you're a professional, you should be paid MUCH higher than 50K a year, or even 80K a year, especially in a field such as psych. The benefits this field provides society are so valuable. To me, if you're content with low wages and are passive about advocating for higher (and frankly fairer) compensation, you're the reason this field gets discredited, has (from my experience) such a negative stigma when compared to other health fields, and why it's necessary to jump through so many hoops in order to gain a decent salary. The median wages for many of the psych fields I've seen are criminal. This consensus of complacency is very upsetting and discouraging, especially for people my age who genuinely love psych. I still have much to think about, but now it doesn't seem worth the risk to build a career in psych..

Or that some of us make well over the mean and median as reported in salary surveys. And also have other income streams.

Other income streams! What we chose to do, and/or how we invest this money is up to us. I have other income streams-although not the totally passive kinds like other posters here, or like I probably really want to at this point. Ill take the "blame" on that. I struggle with this, and many others (especially with young families and all the burden of being the primary or sole bread winner) do too, I'm sure.

I would argue, we can, and should be able to make more. However, no one is going to pay you much more than what you can bring in terms of ROI, right? You bill 90834s all day and there is very definite limit, or ceiling, to what you can expect an "employer" to pay you, right?

Blue Cross, UBH, Cigna will only pay so much for therapy and/or assessment all day long.

Thats why there is so much talk of diversification and mindset and work ethic/style in all this.

Last edited:
That's honestly a surprise. My family and I are immigrants and only in the past 2-3 years has our financial stability become semi-solid. A major reason for why I value money and my potential (realistic) salary is so that I can live without the worries and situations that I've lived in prior to these last few years. I guess I know the value of a dollar.
Money does not equal financial stability, and it may be helpful to consider the importance of financial literacy to achieve stability. 200K in income doesn't do **** if you have 180-200K in expenses. Just because one can afford a million dollar home doesn't mean one buys the million dollar home. Understanding interest rates, market trends, the value of non-salary compensation, the housing market, cost of living, importance of saving for retirement...the list goes on. Salary is just one piece of the pie. Health insurance, sick/vacation/PTO, funding for participation in professional development activities, 401K contributions from the employer, mileage reimbursement if the job requires travel, and life insurance all have monetary values that may not show up in your salary. If you go into private practice you are paying those yourself at full cost and no one is kicking in money to your 401K but you. Immigrants aren't the only folks who have stresses over money the last 8-9 years. Things happen that are out of our control...knowing how to adjust to potential changes in income is very valuable.

Rhetoric about being well compensated is fine, but amuses me a bit. In my view compensation is a complicated issue and one that is not easily teased out based on surveys. To the former question about psychologist being paid below the mean. I know a few. One was at a college counseling center and made $60-65k. However, she had summers off and her husband made over $200k. I'm not sure she cared if she made an extra $20k. She certainly had the ability. My wife and I are both in "management positions" currently. However, her next promotion would be VP at a Fortune 100 company. If that happens, I am using the windfall to start some passive income steams and cutting back my work hours. There is more to life than money.

To add a little, in my years as a student and clinician, I have seen all types. However, there are plenty of upper middle class to upper class individuals in psychology with access to money in other ways (spouses, family, etc) . Life circumstances are different all around.

Last edited:
Money does not equal financial stability, and it may be helpful to consider the importance of financial literacy to achieve stability. 200K in income doesn't do **** if you have 180-200K in expenses. Just because one can afford a million dollar home doesn't mean one buys the million dollar home. Understanding interest rates, market trends, the value of non-salary compensation, the housing market, cost of living, importance of saving for retirement...the list goes on. Salary is just one piece of the pie. Health insurance, sick/vacation/PTO, funding for participation in professional development activities, 401K contributions from the employer, mileage reimbursement if the job requires travel, and life insurance all have monetary values that may not show up in your salary. If you go into private practice you are paying those yourself at full cost and no one is kicking in money to your 401K but you. Immigrants aren't the only folks who have stresses over money the last 8-9 years. Things happen that are out of our control...knowing how to adjust to potential changes in income is very valuable.

This is a good point. I worked a job while in school that hired all of their therapists as independent contracts. On paper, the pay was incredible. If you were single or got benefits through a spouse, it was still pretty good. If you are trying to support your family and have to pay their benefits from your salary, it's not so good.

Since people brought it up, I’m a Psych NP and I make ~130k with <1 year of experience working 40 hours a week with full benefits, CME pay, vacation, etc. Once I change jobs (probably in another year), I’ll expect 150k minimum. The psychiatrist shortage is no joke. Salaries are high across the board, (I live in a major metropolitan area currently) and there are jobs everywhere. I highly recommend considering this career path (assuming you are interested in prescribing and medicine as well as psychology) and advise you to ignore the absolute hysteria on SDN about NPs. You can get very good at what you do, just make sure you attend a top program and don’t be a slouch. There are unlimited resources for improving your craft and the need is so extreme that you can insist on a lot of supervision when you first graduate (I get 2.5 hours/week, though my patients are very complex). I’d interview some psychiatrists, psychologists, and psych NPs, then see how you feel.

The psychologists I work with now are very, very different from the psychologists I worked with during undergrad (almost all from for profits compared w/top academic psychologists from my undergrad days) and it makes me glad I decided to choose the field that I did. I just don’t think the hustle in psychology is worth it, though that’s just my point of view and I’ve never really enjoyed individual therapy (though I love running groups! I’ll be starting a DBT skills group at my current job - yes psych NPs can be paid high salaries and still do therapy). Anyway, if you want any more info feel free to PM me. Let me just say that I'm not an anomaly and all my classmates are making similar money... and none of us are having to hustle. Good luck with your decision, OP!

Also, in terms of debt, I graduated owing 80k, which I've whittled down to 55k without too much effort. Should be debt free in the next 1.5 years or so, and I'm still in my 20s so... yeah, from a financial standpoint it's a great career decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Since people brought it up, I’m a Psych NP and I make ~130k with <1 year of experience working 40 hours a week with full benefits, CME pay, vacation, etc. Once I change jobs (probably in another year), I’ll expect 150k minimum. The psychiatrist shortage is no joke. Salaries are high across the board, (I live in a major metropolitan area currently) and there are jobs everywhere. I highly recommend considering this career path (assuming you are interested in prescribing and medicine as well as psychology) and advise you to ignore the absolute hysteria on SDN about NPs. You can get very good at what you do, just make sure you attend a top program and don’t be a slouch. There are unlimited resources for improving your craft and the need is so extreme that you can insist on a lot of supervision when you first graduate (I get 2.5 hours/week, though my patients are very complex). I’d interview some psychiatrists, psychologists, and psych NPs, then see how you feel.

The psychologists I work with now are very, very different from the psychologists I worked with during undergrad (almost all from for profits compared w/top academic psychologists from my undergrad days) and it makes me glad I decided to choose the field that I did. I just don’t think the hustle in psychology is worth it, though that’s just my point of view and I’ve never really enjoyed individual therapy (though I love running groups! I’ll be starting a DBT skills group at my current job - yes psych NPs can be paid high salaries and still do therapy). Anyway, if you want any more info feel free to PM me. Let me just say that I'm not an anomaly and all my classmates are making similar money... and none of us are having to hustle. Good luck with your decision, OP!

Also, in terms of debt, I graduated owing 80k, which I've whittled down to 55k without too much effort. Should be debt free in the next 1.5 years or so, and I'm still in my 20s so... yeah, from a financial standpoint it's a great career decision.
Thanks for your input! I've narrowed down my possible career paths to CRNA, Psych NP, and some psych field requiring PhD/PsyD. I'll be doing shadowing hopefully this summer, if I have more questions I'll definitely message you.

Hi everyone, I'm currently a freshman psych BA major (probably going to change to BS), and I changed to psych from bio because I actually have a great interest in the field. The psych classes I've taken have been the only ones that genuinely excited me and made me want to learn more.

My goal is to get a PsyD degree, but I'm unsure of what I want to specialize in exactly. The main question I have is regarding salaries. Everywhere I've looked online, I've seen drastically different salary information for the same fields (for example, one website states engineering psych average salary is $179k, another states it's only about $70k).

Is it a realistic expectation to make at least $100k with a PsyD within the first 5 years of practice?

Thank you!

Just to give another perspective: I am a prescribing clinical psychologist working in rural New Mexico but living in El Paso, Texas 45 minutes away. I have had my Ph.D. in clinical psychology for 4 years and have been a prescribing psychologist for 2 years. Right out of fellowship, I attended the New Mexico State Program and passed the Psychopharmacology Examination for Psychologists (PEP) 2 years after my psychology license. Down here the psychiatrist shortage is no joke either. I worked at the Veterans' Administration in El Paso, Texas till I obtained RxP. I am two years out and each year have worked 40 hours or so/week and earn very good money. First years was around $240K and second year is $300K i am pretty sure w full benefits

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give another perspective: I am a prescribing clinical psychologist working in rural New Mexico but living in El Paso, Texas 45 minutes away. I have had my Ph.D. in clinical psychology for 4 years and have been a prescribing psychologist for 2 years. Right out of fellowship, I attended the New Mexico State Program and passed the Psychopharmacology Examination for Psychologists (PEP) 2 years after my psychology license. Down here the psychiatrist shortage is no joke either. I worked at the Veterans' Administration in El Paso, Texas till I obtained RxP. I am two years out and each year have worked 40 hours or so/week and earn very good money. First years was around $240K and second year is $300K i am pretty sure w full benefits

I would have considered this route if I was willing to live in New Mexico or Louisiana; it's a great option if you want to live in either state. I know a psych NP who makes an absolute killing in rural AZ, cash only private practice... maybe some day... hmm.

Iowa recently passed a law to allow the option of prescription privileges for psychologists as well. Not a bad place to live if you know how to make your own entertainment.

That's the highest salary in this field that I've heard of. Is your situation specific to New Mexico?

That's the highest salary in this field that I've heard of. Is your situation specific to New Mexico?

There are higher, some forensic people here and there and people with a large multi-practitioner practice. But, edieb is an RxP. She is a prescriber. Only a handful of states where you can do that, at the moment only NM and LA are feasible as the other states are still getting things up and running and have different guidelines.

There are higher, some forensic people here and there and people with a large multi-practitioner practice. But, edieb is an RxP. She is a prescriber. Only a handful of states where you can do that, at the moment only NM and LA are feasible as the other states are still getting things up and running and have different guidelines.

I also think its important to note that I (and many psychologists or people who trained to be psychologists) would really not enjoy that type work.

This.

OP, edieb is prescribing and getting paid in line with having a full-time meds management practice. It's great $ if that's what you want to do day to day, but it isn't typical of a psychologist because it requires an additional 2-3 years of training AFTER licensure as a psychologist.

That sounds fine to me, except for the current location availability. Maybe by the time I actually have to decide which path to follow there will be more variety.

Words of wisdom: keep taking your science prereqs and do WELL. IMO, an A in ochem > A in dev psych.
This would be good advice for someone interested in the med school route. I was on that track purely for the eventual prestige and cash, but I've changed my mind. I'll be pursuing a Psych BS, which does require science courses such as bio and gen chem, but not ochem/physics. If it comes to a point where I will need those courses, I can take them at a later time.

I hold a license to prescribe and have never practiced in this field. I can make more doing whatever it is I do, with a better schedule.

Why did you get the license if not to use it?

1. In case laws change, most likely already licensed ppl are grandfathered. Additional hurdles, CEs, etc. can be added before initial licensure, which can be a PITA.

2. Situations can change, so it's nice to have as on option.

3. Answers the question, "why are you not licensed in xyz" when you have all of the req. training.

Just to add a bit since the OP is in California, I can talk a bit about salaries in the Bay Area in particular. I do some side hustle psychoed evals in a non-profit clinic where the average psychologist there is getting paid about $150k a year. Granted, this clinic sort of functions in a hybrid model (for lack of a better word) where a little over half of patients pay out of pocket, and the other half receive free services (testing, therapy, tutoring) on scholarship through a pool of money generated by fundraising and grant writing. There are a few clinics/centers I am aware of in the area that function this way (including a research/clinic affiliated with Stanford) and from my understanding, that salary is pretty typical for a psychologist. Primary care clinics, hospitals/medical schools, etc. will of course not reach these levels (for starting salaries) but most people I know who work in those settings either 1) have a partner who makes $$$$ or 2) have side hustles that add maybe another 10-15 hours to their work week and bump their salaries well above the 6 figure mark. Kaiser also pays very very well, especially compared to the VA, medical schools/hospitals. Academic positions (depending on the type anyway, e.g., probably not an R01) allow similar freedoms for side jobs (e.g., private practice, consulting). Going into industry/for profit consulting jobs will most definitely bring you the income in this area. Many of my colleagues got lured into tech/consulting (think Bain and the like) and starting salaries are easily in the six figures and quickly skyrocket as you move up the ranks in those type of firms. City/state/federal research/program evaluation positions (such as with the Department of Public Health, DHHS, etc.) start at around $90k and will get you into the six figures if you have the requisite experience. What I've garnered from all of this is that that thinking a bit outside of the box will get you where you want to be. But if you want to live in a competitive market, you are going to have to make sacrifices somewhere, whether that be $$$ or in what you are going to do exactly, particularly with a family. I am very happy here and wouldn't live anywhere else, so I am perfectly OK with that, but that is a decision that one has to make if you aren't willing to be geographically flexible.

Just to add a bit since the OP is in California, I can talk a bit about salaries in the Bay Area in particular. I do some side hustle psychoed evals in a non-profit clinic where the average psychologist there is getting paid about $150k a year. Granted, this clinic sort of functions in a hybrid model (for lack of a better word) where a little over half of patients pay out of pocket, and the other half receive free services (testing, therapy, tutoring) on scholarship through a pool of money generated by fundraising and grant writing. There are a few clinics/centers I am aware of in the area that function this way (including a research/clinic affiliated with Stanford) and from my understanding, that salary is pretty typical for a psychologist. Primary care clinics, hospitals/medical schools, etc. will of course not reach these levels (for starting salaries) but most people I know who work in those settings either 1) have a partner who makes $$$$ or 2) have side hustles that add maybe another 10-15 hours to their work week and bump their salaries well above the 6 figure mark. Kaiser also pays very very well, especially compared to the VA, medical schools/hospitals. Academic positions (depending on the type anyway, e.g., probably not an R01) allow similar freedoms for side jobs (e.g., private practice, consulting). Going into industry/for profit consulting jobs will most definitely bring you the income in this area. Many of my colleagues got lured into tech/consulting (think Bain and the like) and starting salaries are easily in the six figures and quickly skyrocket as you move up the ranks in those type of firms. City/state/federal research/program evaluation positions (such as with the Department of Public Health, DHHS, etc.) start at around $90k and will get you into the six figures if you have the requisite experience. What I've garnered from all of this is that that thinking a bit outside of the box will get you where you want to be. But if you want to live in a competitive market, you are going to have to make sacrifices somewhere, whether that be $$$ or in what you are going to do exactly, particularly with a family. I am very happy here and wouldn't live anywhere else, so I am perfectly OK with that, but that is a decision that one has to make if you aren't willing to be geographically flexible.
This is very encouraging to hear. So it seems that there are fairly solid paths to follow in psych that will grant an impressive salary, and which do not rely too much on luck.

Well, there will always be a bit of "luck" involved depending on your timing, i.e., when you enter the job market, there may be less or more jobs, although a lot of it depends on working hard and building those networks. I mean, I've been very "lucky" thus far since I've moved out there but when I really think about it, it had less to do with luck and more to do with the networks I developed over time (including those I developed while on internship). By the way, the importance of doing this while on internship, particularly if you are trying to stay where you do internship, can't be overstated. And this begins by being sure that you are at a reputable, APA accredited internship, which in turn means that you should attend a reputable, APA accredited program. Skimp out on either of those, and your mileage is definitely going to vary. For example, I'm reviewing applications at the moment for a postdoc clinical position and I can't tell you how many immediately get tossed aside if the applicant didn't attend an APA accredited internship (or attended one that doesn't have a good reputation), and the vast majority of these applicants come from non-accredited and/or diploma mill schools.

Well, there will always be a bit of "luck" involved depending on your timing, i.e., when you enter the job market, there may be less or more jobs, although a lot of it depends on working hard and building those networks. I mean, I've been very "lucky" thus far since I've moved out there but when I really think about it, it had less to do with luck and more to do with the networks I developed over time (including those I developed while on internship). By the way, the importance of doing this while on internship, particularly if you are trying to stay where you do internship, can't be overstated. And this begins by being sure that you are at a reputable, APA accredited internship, which in turn means that you should attend a reputable, APA accredited program. Skimp out on either of those, and your mileage is definitely going to vary. For example, I'm reviewing applications at the moment for a postdoc clinical position and I can't tell you how many immediately get tossed aside if the applicant didn't attend an APA accredited internship (or attended one that doesn't have a good reputation), and the vast majority of these applicants come from non-accredited and/or diploma mill schools.
How much harder is it to get accepted into APA accredited programs and schools?

Others on here may have the most recent numbers but in general its much harder. Most PhDs and competitive PsyDs (non diploma mills) have acceptance rates from 3%-6%, at least that is my understanding. My own grad program was not an R1 (probably ranked a step, maybe even two, below the R1s), and the average acceptance rate was about 4%. Not sure if this still holds true, but clinical psychology PhDs, at least when I was applying, averaged acceptance rates lower than the average medical school acceptance rate.

Last edited:
Yeah, the requirements for admission to a non-accredited program are the ability to (mostly) be able to fill out an application form and securing a loan. That's pretty much it. Good luck obtaining licensure down the road, though.

so then what's their purpose of existence? why do people even pursue them?

See: Devry, ITT Tech, University of Phoenix, Kaplan Career College, Everest, etc.

Their PhD/PsyD equivalents function similarly and have similar reputations.

Just a few comments, not directed at anyone in particular, but I hope that @vashibashi finds them useful. In no particular order… 1) Be sure to appreciate the difference between “salary” and “income.” I have seen several instances in this thread of the two terms being interchanged, and even used incorrectly. A salary is a fixed annual amount of money that you are basically guaranteed to receive if you show up and do your job as agreed upon. An income is the total of all the money that you have coming in from all revenue streams, day job, private practice, consulting, rental property, other passive income, whatever. What some people have described as “salary” is actually total income from multiple sources. For example, if you have a day job at an R1 academic medical center, and then see patients in the evening and every other Saturday, all of that is your total income, not salary. This is not a mere semantic issue. In neuropsychology, there is an oft-cited (and often useful) periodic survey that is always referred to as the “salary survey.” It is not. It is a self-reported income survey. This beings me to my next point. 2) Anyone can report any level of income that they please in a forum such as SDN. No one will check. I also think that it is those individuals that truly have exceptional salaries (“exceptional” = “exception;” i.e., not the mean or mode, or what any newbie will actually earn just out of training) are more likely to post in a forum like this. This is also called bragging. Yes, yes, “it ain’t braggin’ if you did it,” but just recognize that these folks did not step out of internship and waltz into $200-$300K on Day One. Which brings me to my next point… 3) The reliably higher earning areas in psychology require additional training and credentialing beyond the minimum. For neuropsychology, particularly forensic neuropsychology, a two-year REAL postdoc will be mandatory, generally followed by board certification. Sure, there are people making great scratch without these FOR NOW, but ten years from now the playing field will be different, as in more competitive. For Rx psychology, after completing all of the required clinical psychology training, you will have to earn a post-PhD/PsyD masters in clinical psychopharm (2 yrs, I believe?), and pass the additional national exam, and be licensed (and then physically practice) in New Mexico or Louisiana (at present). A lot of folks also have an excellent income from psychoeducational evals. These are great, as they are cash-only (unless one is engaging in insurance fraud, but that’s for another post), but it is very hard to break into as a newbie. You also really need to know what you are doing. If you don’t, it will show. 4) Some of the most fiscally irresponsible people that I have known have been surgeons, and they have wickedly high incomes. Since that is anecdotal, I will just leave it there. 5) Don't forget about benefits. An institutional position will likely have full benefits. Private ventures might not. Sure, there are group practices that can purchase discounted plancs, but even a large, thriving group practice is unlikely to have the purchasing power of a major medical center with thousands of employees. Also, some benefits cannot be purchased by a private practice at any price (e.g., free tuition for dependents of psychologists with faculty appointments at R1 medical centers) 6) One additional pet peeve and I will shut up: Please do not confuse “R1" and “R01." An “R1” is a Carnegie Level 1 Research University or Medical Center. An “R01” is a type of federal grant. They are not even remotely interchangeable. 7) A final comment to vashibashi: You have been given great feedback in this thread. Please seriously consider ALL of it, and verify on your own. Please do not simply jump with happiness over the few posts that promise “riches.” Please carefully read and investigate (outside of SDN) all of the responses. And then investigate more. Best wishes!

Reactions: 5 users
Just a few comments, not directed at anyone in particular, but I hope that @vashibashi finds them useful. In no particular order… 1) Be sure to appreciate the difference between “salary” and “income.” I have seen several instances in this thread of the two terms being interchanged, and even used incorrectly. A salary is a fixed annual amount of money that you are basically guaranteed to receive if you show up and do your job as agreed upon. An income is the total of all the money that you have coming in from all revenue streams, day job, private practice, consulting, rental property, other passive income, whatever. What some people have described as “salary” is actually total income from multiple sources. For example, if you have a day job at an R1 academic medical center, and then see patients in the evening and every other Saturday, all of that is your total income, not salary. This is not a mere semantic issue. In neuropsychology, there is an oft-cited (and often useful) periodic survey that is always referred to as the “salary survey.” It is not. It is a self-reported income survey. This beings me to my next point. 2) Anyone can report any level of income that they please in a forum such as SDN. No one will check. I also think that it is those individuals that truly have exceptional salaries (“exceptional” = “exception;” i.e., not the mean or mode, or what any newbie will actually earn just out of training) are more likely to post in a forum like this. This is also called bragging. Yes, yes, “it ain’t braggin’ if you did it,” but just recognize that these folks did not step out of internship and waltz into $200-$300K on Day One. Which brings me to my next point… 3) The reliably higher earning areas in psychology require additional training and credentialing beyond the minimum. For neuropsychology, particularly forensic neuropsychology, a two-year REAL postdoc will be mandatory, generally followed by board certification. Sure, there are people making great scratch without these FOR NOW, but ten years from now the playing field will be different, as in more competitive. For Rx psychology, after completing all of the required clinical psychology training, you will have to earn a post-PhD/PsyD masters in clinical psychopharm (2 yrs, I believe?), and pass the additional national exam, and be licensed (and then physically practice) in New Mexico or Louisiana (at present). A lot of folks also have an excellent income from psychoeducational evals. These are great, as they are cash-only (unless one is engaging in insurance fraud, but that’s for another post), but it is very hard to break into as a newbie. You also really need to know what you are doing. If you don’t, it will show. 4) Some of the most fiscally irresponsible people that I have known have been surgeons, and they have wickedly high incomes. Since that is anecdotal, I will just leave it there. 5) Don't forget about benefits. An institutional position will likely have full benefits. Private ventures might not. Sure, there are group practices that can purchase discounted plancs, but even a large, thriving group practice is unlikely to have the purchasing power of a major medical center with thousands of employees. Also, some benefits cannot be purchased by a private practice at any price (e.g., free tuition for dependents of psychologists with faculty appointments at R1 medical centers) 6) One additional pet peeve and I will shut up: Please do not confuse “R1" and “R01." An “R1” is a Carnegie Level 1 Research University or Medical Center. An “R01” is a type of federal grant. They are not even remotely interchangeable. 7) A final comment to vashibashi: You have been given great feedback in this thread. Please seriously consider ALL of it, and verify on your own. Please do not simply jump with happiness over the few posts that promise “riches.” Please carefully read and investigate (outside of SDN) all of the responses. And then investigate more. Best wishes!

Good points and I edited my post to correct the R01/R1 issues. This is what happens when one is in full NIH grant writing mode for the last few days!

And yes, please do investigate these salaries. While getting information on salaries for folks in private practice or doing clinical work might be difficult, you can easily look up information on salaries in public positions, such as public universities, the federal/state/city governments, etc. Look up positions for psychologists on sites like usajobs.gov, or your local county, and you will start getting an idea of what types of salaries you might expect. Many psychologist positions on indeed.com also post salary ranges. Take sites like glassdoor with a grain a salt, for many of the reasons lurking oracle outlined.

Not to get off topic lurking oracle but why do you believe billing insurance for psychoed evals is committing fraud?

Briefly, because it is fraud. Billing medical insurance requires a medical or health related diagnosis. Undergoing texting for special placement in classes or extended time in class (or for any educational accommodation) is not a medical concern, though something like ADHD would a medical concern. School systems are legally obligated to provide these services or reimburse for them for this reason, but that is a different topic.

Reactions: 2 users
Briefly, because it is fraud. Billing medical insurance requires a medical or health related diagnosis. Undergoing texting for special placement in classes or extended time in class (or for any educational accommodation) is not a medical concern, though something like ADHD would a medical concern. School systems are legally obligated to provide these services or reimburse for them for this reason, but that is a different topic.
Sanman nailed it perfectly.