I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you live in a city and want to try some different labels of scotch before you buy, check online for a store with scotch tastings. Even in BFE Kansas City we have places like that, and the tastings normally come at a minimal cost.

Bring a DD or walk though because you might try more than you planned to.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man. Used to drink Johnny Black, flirted a little with Irish whiskey (Jameson, Bushmills) but now (with attending salary) can afford to splash out a little on the single malts. Never, ever going back to blends. Loving the Glenfiddich, but am also partial to The Glenlivet and Strathisla. Islay? Laphroaig - it really is (IMHO) the best.

In terms of mixing - the purists will tell you you must have use spring water - probably Highland, just a splash. I find ice often detracts from the taste, if it (the ice:p) isn't fresh.

Man, I feel like one right now.....

Last edited:
In terms of mixing - the purists will tell you you must have use spring water - probably Highland, just a splash. I find ice often detracts from the taste, if it (the ice:p) isn't fresh.

Ice can add flavor. Also, if your Scotch isn't unchilfiltered (relatively rare here, not so other places), ice will make your whisky cloudy.
Still tastes good though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys mix your scotch with water? I know it is common in some countries to mix liquor with some water.

So I'm a beer guy, specifically an IPA guy, but this thread inspired me to sit down and give the Scotch thing a go.

Sat down with an attending hospitalist friend over some Blue Label.

Consider me an instant convert.

Yet another way that SDN anesthesia has improved my life. :thumbup:

Do you guys mix your scotch with water? I know it is common in some countries to mix liquor with some water.

I'm told that adding 20% water (i.e. if your tot is 50ml then add 10ml water) liberates additional flavour. You're supposed to add water from the same source as the distillery uses for it's whisky - not really pratical, but chlorinated mains water may detract from the taste, so any good spring water will probably do.

I'm more a Cognac guy. When I drink Scotch (not that often) it's usually Glenfarclas 12YO with a few drops of Volvic water.

Sometimes, when at a bar, I drink a glass of Johnny Walker Black neat.

I'm told that adding 20% water (i.e. if your tot is 50ml then add 10ml water) liberates additional flavour. You're supposed to add water from the same source as the distillery uses for it's whisky - not really pratical, but chlorinated mains water may detract from the taste, so any good spring water will probably do.

Some people would consider mixing good single malt Scotch with water a criminal act.

So I'm a beer guy, specifically an IPA guy, but this thread inspired me to sit down and give the Scotch thing a go.

Sat down with an attending hospitalist friend over some Blue Label.

Consider me an instant convert.

Yet another way that SDN anesthesia has improved my life. :thumbup:

O.K. now that you've been initiated, sit down with some Laphroaig. Let us know what you think.

cf

Some people would consider mixing good single malt Scotch with water a criminal act.

yeah, i don't add water. Laphroaig 10 yo is 40% out of the bottle, so it really doesn't need any dilution.

Also, the "pros" seem split on water vs. no water. I'd say do what works for you, but give no water a try.

I'm not saying a 50/50 ratio. Just a few drops, less than a capful. Then slosh it around in your nosing glass.

You have one, right?

Of course, this makes one look like the Scottish equivalent of a wine snob, but hey, it tastes good.

Members don't see this ad :)
And since Three Sheets is so informative, this thread is important to the survival of our society:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=574571

Save Three Sheets.

Oh noes! That sucks...I hadn't heard about Mojo biting it (although not surprised when you think about the kind of ads they were pulling in). I just wrote to Comedy Central, the Travel Channel and Spike to support them picking up Three Sheets. One of the best shows on TV.

As a MS4 my wife treated me to a selection of JW scotch. A bottle of Black Label ($24), Green Label($45), Gold Label($70), and Blue Label($195).

I had over some classmates and tasted the various selections and tried to rank them according to which ones we liked best (underside of glasses labeled, so we could keep track). Only I could pick out the Blue Label, since I had been sipping it daily for a couple of weeks... but still it wasn't easy. Most people couldn't tell a $20 bottle from a $200 bottle.

Since this little experiement I buy JW Black, but will drink anything once... If I'm at a "sponsored" dinner and I see Blue Label behind the bar, of course I order 2 fingers of Blue Label.

As a MS4 my wife treated me to a selection of JW scotch. A bottle of Black Label ($24), Green Label($45), Gold Label($70), and Blue Label($195).

Man, that is awesome.

I had over some classmates and tasted the various selections and tried to rank them according to which ones we liked best (underside of glasses labeled, so we could keep track). Only I could pick out the Blue Label, since I had been sipping it daily for a couple of weeks... but still it wasn't easy. Most people couldn't tell a $20 bottle from a $200 bottle.

Since this little experiement I buy JW Black, but will drink anything once... If I'm at a "sponsored" dinner and I see Blue Label behind the bar, of course I order 2 fingers of Blue Label.

Jonny Black is really good. But your experiment is flawed because it having med students doing a taste test with JW is like having high school newbie beer drinkers doing a beer taste test.

On the advice of this thread I tried some Laphroaig tonight.

Holy Smokey Greatness, Batman.

I mean, woah. That stuff is great. :thumbup:

Tried some Glenlivet 12yr (thanks Mista-Suprane) the other night and man was it smooth. VERY easy to drink with a couple of ice cubes (or without).

Didn't think I'd enjoy it much. I've had some of the blended stuff in the past like Jameson (sp?) and Dewars and havent been impressed. Too harsh.

But this stuff will be moving to the front of the line.

As far as Gin goes: I also tried some Hendricks. Might be my new favorite. Very, very smooth.

Bourbon: Currently drinking Woodford Reserve. Awesome taste.

I should be on vacation more often.

has anyone tried the costco kirkland 18yr scotch? Online reviews seem favorable.

I agree, sir.

Has anyone else tried some of the alternate cask single malts? For example, Glenmorangie La Santa (aged in sherry casks) is exceptional. I still might choose Glenlivet 21 if cost isn't an issue, but it usually is, right?

Ok, Fellow Scotch drinkers:
I just realized that Laphroaig is too smoky for my taste.
Do you agree??

Disagree. It tastes like peaty heaven.

So I've gone through the rotation of most of the "entry level" 12 year single malts, and decided I like the Glenlivet better than the other 12s (Glenfiddich, Chivas, Macallan, etc). Standard?

So I've gone through the rotation of most of the "entry level" 12 year single malts, and decided I like the Glenlivet better than the other 12s (Glenfiddich, Chivas, Macallan, etc). Standard?

I personally like the Macallan better. Ive heard highland park is good stuff so Im looking for a bottle to try now.

Interestingly, I have tried laphroig 10 and 12, Macallan 10 and 12, glefiddich 10 and 15. THank god for my budget, I much prefer the younger ones with the exception of Glenfiddich 15. Tonight, I am celebrating st pats with some 16 yo lagavulin after successing anesthetizing an Irishman today and doing a smooth deep circ yest (not circumcision!)

Macallan 10 tastes like sweet and spicy honey. Heaven on earth. Glenfiddich 15 is more spicy and a little harsher. Try those.

Do you agree??

Oh and I do disagree ! :)

Laphroig 10 was my first love. Never liked any scotch or whiskey for that matter until I tried that. Everything else reminded me of the vomit I produced on Jim beam 20+ yrs ago!!!

Peaty is awesome.

Try the Macallan though, you may fall in love!

Do you agree??

I've sampled some of the older versions of the common players and compared them to the younger, more affordable ones and I like the latter better.

Have some Laphroaig 10 year for tonight.

Do you agree??

I must respecfully disagree... however I will admit that the peat isn't always what I want.

Currently in my cupboard: laphroaig, glenlivet 12 and glenlivet 15 (my current favourite)

When pushed I may also admit to having johnny walker black, but that was from my med student days when I couldn't afford the decent single malt. If I ever finish the bottle I'll be surprised.

Other good single malts that I enjoy: Glenfiddich 15 (I actually prefer this to the 18, but sadly have never been able to get hold of anything older than the 18); and talisker (the only sngle malt from the isle of skye).

Still trying to expand my tastes though - will take the comments from this forum into consideration (with appropriate anticipatory salivation :D).

My local Trader Joe's, filthy communists that they are, decided to rotate Laphroaig out of stock.

After stamping my feet and throwing a tantrum in the aisle for a few minutes, I had to decide on another brand.

Hadn't given the Balvenie a try yet, so went with that. 12y doublewood.

I like very, very much. I think better than the Glenlivet 12, which was my previous non-Islay favorite.

Side note: Having to suffer through chronic pain clinic has at least doubled my alcohol consumption. You guys that decide to do this for a living are completely and thoroughly insane. Rich, but insane.

Balvenie Double Barrel - simply amazing, by far the best malt I've ever had. You can taste and smell the sherry from the second cask.

nothin like responding to an old thread, but since i've gotten into scotch (last year or so), i'd have to agree.

if you like Scotch, i urge you to try Balvenie Double Wood. Very smooth, and not TOO MUCH sherry taste, but it's there.

Also, I prefer Johnnie Walker Black for blends. Gold is more expensive but less tastey to me...

Also, I agree on the cost/benefit of a 12 year Glenlivet or Glenfiddich (10? i can't remember). Worth it.

Still a Laphroaig fan, but don't drink it as much. Truly, the Double Wood is one of the most well balanced Scotches I've had.

Any new discoveries/recommendations??

cf

Glenlivet 12 or 18, haven't seen 21.
No ice, no water, but a fresh lemon slice instead.

nothin like responding to an old thread, but since i've gotten into scotch (last year or so), i'd have to agree.

if you like Scotch, i urge you to try Balvenie Double Wood. Very smooth, and not TOO MUCH sherry taste, but it's there.

Also, I prefer Johnnie Walker Black for blends. Gold is more expensive but less tastey to me...

Also, I agree on the cost/benefit of a 12 year Glenlivet or Glenfiddich (10? i can't remember). Worth it.

Still a Laphroaig fan, but don't drink it as much. Truly, the Double Wood is one of the most well balanced Scotches I've had.

Any new discoveries/recommendations??

cf

Balvenie is nice but if you want an even smoother scotch, Aberlour even at only 10 years.

Since the start of the thread, my taste has evolved a little.
I still love the peat but I drink it much less often. I like something sweet more often.

Found Aberlour 12 yr (speyside)
Very sweet, enjoyable sippin. "cheap" at about 35 dollars. My new favorite.

I bought Glenfiddich 15 yr again. I dont know if my taste has changed or the batch is different but I dont like it like I used to

I've also moved away from Islay obsession since last posting here. I went to Scotland last year and it was awesome. I learned to drink whisky neat (or with a few drops of water) and now I rarely take it on the rocks.

New favorites:

Cragganmore (speyside)
Royal Lochnagar (highland - hard to find in the US)
Highland Park (island)

For those who haven't tried Japanese "Scotch" whisky, it is also excellent. I have a bottle of Yamazaki 18 yr which is currently what I reach for most often.

I also got a good deal on a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, which is so smooth I think even most non-Scotch drinkers would enjoy it. (but when it runs out I probably will buy an old single malt with the money and not replace it)

For those with well-stocked home bars, I tried this great Scotch-based cocktail at a bar in Santa Monica

"Smoke of Scotland"

2oz Laphroig cask strength
1/2oz Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth
1/2oz St. Germain
1/4tsp Cynar (probably could be excluded without the drink suffering much)

Shake, serve up with flamed grapefruit peel (I think any citrus would work)

Last edited:
3195.jpg

This is my current and first Islay Scotch. Can't be beat for the $27.00 price tag.