I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think for a real scotch novice, trying to figure things out by regions is too difficult because they don't have the experience to understand what is representative of that region and what is special or different. If you walked into a liquor store and asked the salesmen for 5 bottles from the 5 regions who knows what you'll get. I would try the different styles of whisky like I noted above and see what kinds you enjoy. Then when you find you like a style, you can explore further. And as jeebus noted, save the heavily peated whisky for last in the tasting.
I'm not a bourbon fan, but the serious bourbon drinkers seem to agree that Pappy is very good bourbon, but not worth the hype and certainly not worth the premium.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a scotch drinker. I do keep a couple of bottles in my bar for those guests that do like it. Here is what's in my cabinet.

Johnny Black
Chivas
Glenfidich 12
Macallan 18
Amrut Fusion a gift from my partner

Members don't see this ad :)
The Dalmore reissued it's famous Cigar Malt last year. It might be worth a try.
The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve, 44%, $125

Back due to popular demand in the U.S., this new incarnation of the Cigar Malt sees the percentage of ex-oloroso ‘Matusalem’ sherry wood ramped up from 60 to 70 percent. Pass the Partagas! Spicy Christmas cake with rich sherry notes on the nose. Fragrant, with figs, cinnamon, ripe oranges, and glacé cherries. Robust sweet toffee and mango flavors, with oloroso sherry, vanilla, and lively spices. Medium to long in the finish, with ginger, treacle, and licorice. —Gavin Smith

Advanced Malt Advocate magazine rating: 92
I ran out of my cigar malt recently, and now I get to try and find it again.

I've been checking out scotch and picked up Aberlour A'bunadh, Balvenie Doublewood 12, and Lagavulin 16 this week. Love both the Aberlour and the Balvenie, but that Lagavulin is way too medicinal for me. I hope I have some guests who love Islays soon so it doesn't sit in my cabinet for years to come. I don't see it ever growing on me.

recently just had a glass of my bro's yamazaki single malt 12yr. pretty damn smooth i must say. I still love JW blue above all though

recently just had a glass of my bro's yamazaki single malt 12yr. pretty damn smooth i must say. I still love JW blue above all though
5.5 years ago (!) in this thread I recommended the Hakushu, a lightly peated Japanese whiskey that I still love. Back then it was hard to find outside of Japan, but nowadays is getting much easier. Some Costcos even carry it.

I highly, highly recommend it if you enjoy the Yamazaki and like background peat.

The Hibiki is an excellent Japanese blend too, worth trying if you like JW.

Reactions: 1 users
5.5 years ago (!) in this thread I recommended the Hakushu, a lightly peated Japanese whiskey that I still love. Back then it was hard to find outside of Japan, but nowadays is getting much easier. Some Costcos even carry it.

I highly, highly recommend it if you enjoy the Yamazaki and like background peat.

You know I never thought I would try anything that is not single malt quality traditional Scotch but you convinced me... I will give it a shot :)

Angels envy is great. Can't find a bottle anywhere. Luckily there's a watering hole nearby that has it

Members don't see this ad :)
Basil Hayden's is about my favorite bourbon currently. At 80 proof you dot need to add any distilled water. I like mine with a slight chill so I do an ice cube in the glass. I also like bookers but end up putting in 1/4 of distilled water and a couple cubes of ice to avoid melting my face.

Blanton's is my favorite and Angels Envy. Lot of good options that are priced significantly under most good scotches unless you are talking Pappy Van Winkle.

Red

I was drinking Jefferson's Reserve before I decided to try some Scotchs and it's good for a fairly low price. The only fairly expensive Bourbon I've had was the bottle of Pappy 20 I got as a med school graduation gift years ago. You can't find top bourbon's to buy even if you are willing to pay the inflated price. That's the main reason I decided to try Scotch- it's way more available.

You know I never thought I would try anything that is not single malt quality traditional Scotch but you convinced me... I will give it a shot :)
Prepare to have your mind blown. The Japanese have been making world class single malt whisky for decades. Shinjiro Torii and Masataka Taketsuru opened the Yamazaki distillery in 1924!

I am a huge fan of Glenmoraingie Quinta Ruben. It's extra matured for 2 years in port wine casks and tastes amazing. Not too expensive either.

Basil Hayden's is about my favorite bourbon currently. At 80 proof you dot need to add any distilled water. I like mine with a slight chill so I do an ice cube in the glass. I also like bookers but end up putting in 1/4 of distilled water and a couple cubes of ice to avoid melting my face.
Reminds me of a story...there's a guy I knew in the Caribbean from Manchester, but that is where he had settled after doing 6 years in the British Army. He grew up in Wales. When he was about to leave for the Army at 16, his father poured him some Scotch. Colin says he reached for the soda, and his father said, in his Welsh accent, "No boyo, if you want that, you do that on your own time!" So he had to drink it straight!

I'm a fan of Glenfiddich when it comes to scotch. The 18 yr is great and won't break the pockets. McCallanI'm also not one to turn my nose to Irish whiskey. Jameson 12 definitely stays in my house. I like bourbon too. I agree that Pappy is damn delicious but that hype behind it has not made me want to scour blogs and wait in line to get some. Now Willett, which is supposed to be the next best thing is becoming hard to get. So I keep it on the cheap and just drink Bulliet. If I'm at a bar, feeling fancy, and it's available, I may shock the bartender by ordering a Pappy.

Scotch is such a personal preference thing. Really hard to have a discussion. Most single malts taste medicinal to me.

I've recently gotten into the Auchentoshan (awk' in toe shun)Three Wood. If you like bourbon, I'd recommend trying it. Pretty good price point for a single malt 12 year old.

Bumped for the end of summer days and the start of cool nights. Bring on the peat!

This is definitely the season for scotch. I just finished Dalwhinnie distillers edition and a local single malt whiskey. Time to stock up for the winter months.

If you liked a sherried whisky, and want one that isn't an overpowering Sherry bomb, I would recommend Glendronach. Try the Revival 15 year. It's great.
If you want to push your palate a little and want something with a bit of peat, minerals and real complexity, pick up Springbank 10.
Both of them are winners and a great value.

Drink your whiskey neat. Add a few drops of water if it's cask strength or a higher proof. I use a Glencairn glass, but any small tulip shaped glass will do. Spend time nosing the whiskey before you taste it. I find the majority of the pleasure I get from a whiskey is from the complexity of the smell.

I usually only keep a handful of bottles open at a time. Here's what's open in my cabinet:

Rittenhouse Rye - Probably one of the best bang for your bucks out there. I think I got the bottle for $25. Caramel, vanilla, and lots of rye spice. It's 100 proof so it really is good value. If you see this, don't pass it up. It's delicious straight, but works in a variety of cocktails if that is your thing.

Benromach 10 year old - Another great value. This is a sherried single malt from Speyside that has just a hint of peat smoke. I great "beginner" intro to the world of peat.

Jameson Select Reserve small batch- This was a gift and turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It's smooth with a lot of vanilla, cream, and caramel. It's sweet and has a nice long finish for being only 40% ABV.

Talisker 10 - A great whiskey. This single malt doesn't have quite the same amount of peat smoke as the Islay malts, but I would say it has much more spiciness and complexity.

The key with good whiskey is that you don't have to spend a ton of money on a great bottle...especially as you are learning early on.

Just had some hibiki recently and it was quite nice thx for the rec HB

Post call. I'm pulling out the bulleit.

Not near the caliber of scotch, but was introduced to Not Your Father's Rootbeer over the summer.

I'd had some alcoholic root beers before, but this one was great. Especially poured over ice cream for a brown cow. Just a recommendation if you're looking for something different to try casually.

Not near the caliber of scotch, but was introduced to Not Your Father's Rootbeer over the summer.

I'd had some alcoholic root beers before, but this one was great. Especially poured over ice cream for a brown cow. Just a recommendation if you're looking for something different to try casually.

how dare you taint this scotch thread with alcoholic root beer talk?! jk i have had this before but not over ice cream must try it..

Some may cry sacrilege, but I was recently in a nice whisky bar in Manhattan and tried Brenne for the first time - quite enjoyed it, but then again I also enjoy cognac.

Don't forget to order yours before the sale ends:

image.jpg

Tried some Monkey Shoulder because it was cheap. Regret it. Good mixing scotch maybe?

Favorite ever is Macallan 30 year sherry oak. Yamazaki 12 is my go-to on special occasions, though.
A lineup of some of my favorites (from a blind tasting at my friend's house... I can't afford most of these!):
07BzqQp.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That Macallan 30 is listed at around 2500 a bottle. Your friend must really like his scotch.

The lagavulin is a very good scotch, in my opinion. I go that route most times when buying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The Lagavulin 16 is a great scotch if you like the peat moss / Islay flavor profile - and for those of us who are still residents, it retails at less than $100/bottle.

The Lagavulin 16 is a great scotch if you like the peat moss / Islay flavor profile - and for those of us who are still residents, it retails at less than $100/bottle.

Lagavulin 12 is even better than 16 in my opinion. Anyone who likes the 16, or any peated Islay whisky, should try Lagavulin 12. It's much harder to find so if you see a bottle, buy it immediately!