I Made a Mistake on My AMCAS :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darthsubway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was referring back to my AMCAS and I noticed that I categorized my resident assistant job as community service instead of employment. I also accidentally said I did 1400 hours :O instead of 700 hours. This is freaking me out. My application has been verified since the middle of June. Should I send out emails informing schools of the mistake? I don't want to look like a faker. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was referring back to my AMCAS and I noticed that I categorized my resident assistant job as community service instead of employment. I also accidentally said I did 1400 hours :O instead of 700 hours. This is freaking me out. My application has been verified since the middle of June. Should I send out emails informing schools of the mistake? I don't want to look like a faker. Thanks!

Yes. That is a very large discrepancy and could result in a rejection or rescinded acceptance. The rumor that ADCOMs never check on activities is patently false. They may not check on every activity, but if you claim to have 1400 hours as a resident assistant, they might look into it. I would send out corrections to every school. Better to be honest while you still can than to get caught in a lie, especially when you never intended to fabricate anything in the first place.

-Bill

Reactions: 3 users

How do you accidentally put in 1400 instead of 700 hours, anyhow? As for the categorization problem, that is easily explained as a data entry error. The hours, though, would look much more suspicious.

If it were me, I would probably leave it alone, rather than try to amend it. I'm not sure it is that important to your application. If it were brought up in an interview, I would address it then. But that hour discrepancy really does look intentional. It isn't like you accidentally added an extra zero... it is a totally different number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. That is a very large discrepancy and could result in a rejection or rescinded acceptance. The rumor that ADCOMs never check on activities is patently false. They may not check on every activity, but if you claim to have 1400 hours as a resident assistant, they might look into it. I would send out corrections to every school. Better to be honest while you still can than to get caught in a lie, especially when you never intended to fabricate anything in the first place.

-Bill

Thanks Bill for your advice. It was a stupid mistake I made when I entered in the hours for different time periods. I will send out the corrections on the hours.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you accidentally put in 1400 instead of 700 hours, anyhow? As for the categorization problem, that is easily explained as a data entry error. The hours, though, would look much more suspicious.

If it were me, I would probably leave it alone, rather than try to amend it. I'm not sure it is that important to your application. If it were brought up in an interview, I would address it then. But that hour discrepancy really does look intentional. It isn't like you accidentally added an extra zero... it is a totally different number.

It was a stupid mistake I made when I entered in the hours for different time periods. I put in 700 hours for the first semester and then 700 hours for the second semester. It was supposed to be 700 hours for the total experience

It was a stupid mistake I made when I entered in the hours for different time periods. I put in 700 hours for the first semester and then 700 hours for the second semester. It was supposed to be 700 hours for the total experience

I can see that. It is obvious that 1400 is twice 700. I've heard of a lot of shenannigans with regard to inflating hours, and my suspicious mind went right to that, rather than trusting that it was just an error.

@BillrothI probably does have the right idea, that a correction could save you trouble down the road.

I feel sympathy for you. I had an issue with my AMCAS because my transcript at one of my schools had incorrect information on it, and it didn't match the one I had ordered from them to use in entering my courses. It was a very sickening feeling to realize that my application was injured by something totally out of my control.

Good luck working this out.

I can see that. It is obvious that 1400 is twice 700. I've heard of a lot of shenannigans with regard to inflating hours, and my suspicious mind went right to that, rather than trusting that it was just an error.

@BillrothI probably does have the right idea, that a correction could save you trouble down the road.

I feel sympathy for you. I had an issue with my AMCAS because my transcript at one of my schools had incorrect information on it, and it didn't match the one I had ordered from them to use in entering my courses. It was a very sickening feeling to realize that my application was injured by something totally out of my control.

Good luck working this out.

Thanks. I just sent the email out just saying I meant 700 hours for the entire experience not 700 each. Hopefully they think nothing of it. This is my reapplication so when they pull up the old one, they probably would've realized it was a mistake anyway.

I found a mistake on my AMCAS too -- I said I did something during 2012 instead of during 2013. Same duration of time and same hours, just accidentally shifted a year back. A little bit different mistake than yours, but same sort of silly error. I don't think I'm going to email my schools about it, because the length of total time and hours are consistent. But it is certainly frustrating to realize that I made an error on such an important application :( I checked my application probably 25 times too, and so did my family! Still can't believe we didn't catch it. But it makes me feel a bit better to realize that I'm not the only one who has inputted info wrong into AMCAS haha

Good luck OP!

I found a mistake on my AMCAS too -- I said I did something during 2012 instead of during 2013. Same duration of time and same hours, just accidentally shifted a year back. A little bit different mistake than yours, but same sort of silly error. I don't think I'm going to email my schools about it, because the length of total time and hours are consistent. But it is certainly frustrating to realize that I made an error on such an important application :( I checked my application probably 25 times too, and so did my family! Still can't believe we didn't catch it. But it makes me feel a bit better to realize that I'm not the only one who has inputted info wrong into AMCAS haha

Good luck OP!
Good luck to you too!

Good luck OP!
Its because we focus on the writing and not the hours and years. So easy to miss small typos.

Going over my AMCAS application today I made a curious discovery. When I began working on my AMCAS application I was in the process of transferring to a new military unit. Accordingly, I did not yet know who to put as the new contact for my army experience while filling out my AMCAS application. I therefore populated the “Contact Name and Title” box with the name “Joe Shmoe, Sarge” and the contact email as “[email protected]” expecting to join my new unit a few weeks later and populate the dialogue boxes with the correct information at that time. I eventually joined my new unit but inadvertently failed to correct the information before submitting my AMCAS application. Ironically, I proceeded to write that the military has taught me the importance of paying attention to detail...

My current supervisor is certainly no Joe Shmoe, and I'm pretty sure that he would be able to provide a better description of my character than the aforementioned Mr. Shmoe. Guess that is what it is! I'm considering sending an email to each of the schools to inform them of what happened, would any of you recommend or dissuade me from doing this?

Going over my AMCAS application today I made a curious discovery. When I began working on my AMCAS application I was in the process of transferring to a new military unit. Accordingly, I did not yet know who to put as the new contact for my army experience while filling out my AMCAS application. I therefore populated the “Contact Name and Title” box with the name “Joe Shmoe, Sarge” and the contact email as “[email protected]” expecting to join my new unit a few weeks later and populate the dialogue boxes with the correct information at that time. I eventually joined my new unit but inadvertently failed to correct the information before submitting my AMCAS application.
My current supervisor is certainly no Joe Shmoe, and I'm pretty sure that he would be able to provide a better description of my character than the aforementioned Mr. Shmoe. Guess that is what it is! I'm considering sending an email to each of the schools to inform them of what happened, would any of you recommend or dissuade me from doing this?
Yes I would certainly update your schools because they will know that contact info is fake and may make them start digging into other things as well.

-Bill

Bill always chiming in with quality posts. :thumbup:

Here's the response I got from one of the schools:
"Thank you for your email. I did have to smile about your email; but seriously don't worry about the error. I have your new information in your file, so there won't be a problem. If you have further questions, please contact our office."
Most of the other schools have replied simply "cool, we've added this information to your file."

Now I can laugh this whole thing off! Who knows, maybe my application will be more memorable to them now!