I made mistakes but got accepted!! You can too!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1.) 2.0 in a prerequisite class (Orgo I, RIP).
2.) Very limited shadowing.
3.) Alcohol related institutional action.
4.) No LOR from a physician. No LOR from a non-science professor.
5.) Reapplicant ORM status.
6.) Applied very narrowly (completed secondaries at 8 total schools)

Multiple acceptances this cycle (both MD, DO, MD/PhD interview coming up)

I felt like sharing too. Too often we see posts with just a single one of my flaws with the title "Is it over?" or "Am I screwed? Need help pls"
wow!!you give me hope! I have 9 Ws and 4 were due to shingles my last semester. I am a non traditional student with a solid GPA and Science GPA I made stupid mistakes and withdrew from Gen chem and Org 3 times... mostly because I just hated it.. but ended up finally taking it and did well, ... I take my mcat in July 8th and got great LORs but please give me advice and congrats again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Personal statement somehow ended mid-sentence. I'm 99.9% sure there was nothing wrong when I submitted it, but looked back later and discovered the last 3-4 words missing.
2. 5 W's on my transcript
3. 3 C's (including a C in a class I dropped the year before because I was going to get a B instead of an A...whoops lol)
4. Studied poorly for my first MCAT and got a very mediocre score on it
did you get in somewhere though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this thread!

1. Had 6 C's in undergrad, 4 in the pre-reqs, retook a C- in physics and got a C+
2. Only had about 50 hours of shadowing
3. No LOR from a physician
4. 1.5 semesters of research, no pubs

But! I did have pretty good ECs and a decent mcat, as well as a pretty significant upward trend. Like another poster above I switched to pre-med in my junior year.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm basically writing this hoping that others will read it someday and realize that they're gonna be ok. There are so many rumors about what is/isn't acceptable during the app process, and while you should obviously try to minimize the number of small errors you make, it is also important to realize that some of these errors are going to happen over the course of years of courses/tests/apps - don't destroy yourself over them!! Here are some "mistakes" I made, and even so I received 7 II this cycle (first time applying) and have 3 post-interview acceptances so far

1. spelling mistake in my personal statement - not something obvious (was proofread by 4 people, no one caught it) - but I obviously agonized over this for at least a week after realizing
2. didn't wear stockings to my first two interviews cuz I just didn't realize that was a thing - was accepted at both schools
3. got a C+ in a science pre-req + its associated lab in the same semester
4. didn't form great relationships with a lot of my professors (big lectures and never went to office hours) so I thought I was screwed for LORs, but I made it work by e-mailing a prior professor and simply asking to meet with him about my career aspirations/talk about my resume, and he liked what I had to say so he was willing to write me a rec (I had also gotten As in 2 of his classes, but I didn't have a relationship with him prior to this) **disclaimer - I had some other great recs from people who I DID have good relationships with, but I needed another science course rec and this guy pulled through**
5. I took the MCAT without feeling prepared the first time and KNEW I could have done better. Took it again and improved, but really wish I would have waited and only took it on that second date when I felt prepared
6. literally zero clinical experience (not even shadowing) until my senior year (switched to pre-med during my sophomore year) due to confusion/bad advice/my involvement with other activities - eventually managed to get over 1,000 hours
7. so many little stupid things lol

Long story short, please don't beat yourself up over things that won't, at the end of the day, make or break your future. I was accepted to one of my dream schools last week and my mom cried with happiness, and she laughed saying "remember when you called me crying because you got that C in physics, saying you were never going to get into med school? now look at where you are" ------ SO TRUE. Don't let this process drive you nuts - you're gonna need some of that sanity to take care of patients and change peoples' lives someday :)

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR MISTAKES AND SUBSEQUENT SUCCESSES BELOW TO ADD TO THIS LIST!!!!
1. Multiple C+ grades, including in a prereq, leading to a cGPA of <3.2 when I graduated
2. No clinical ANYthing until after I finished college
3. Almost zero non-clinical volunteering
4. Alcohol IA
5. I thought I bombed the interview of the school I'm planning to attend
6. Did some of my prereqs and all of my postbacc at an 'Extension' school (not really a mistake, but people will try to convince you it is).

I got 7IIs and 2 WL acceptances. Granted, I was basically a last-minute premed and my MCAT is probably the main reason I was able to turn things around so quickly, but the point is that none of these things spell the end if you address them. The only real regret I have from the cycle is not doing my finaid applications earlier (difficult because I'm abroad for 6mo since before taxes were possible)...and also that I didn't ask one school to let me fly out a day later so I didn't have to pay Labor Day airfare, lol!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind sharing where you did post bacc? An issue some of my students are running into is that there's a 3.0 minimum for post-bacc acceptance. At least for formal SMP or Master's programs.
Honestly, I would recommend DIY postbacc to pretty much everyone before I'd recommend a formal program. No requirements/application, no fixed cost, you pay for what you get out of it, flexible schedule (timewise), flexible class selection, and you can work as you go.

SMP/masters are a completely different thing than postbacc, not even the same discussion. There's a whole forum on the subject if you want more info!

Some of these make me feel better, others not so much lol. Are most of ya'll acceptances in-state or out?

Some of these make me feel better, others not so much lol. Are most of ya'll acceptances in-state or out?
Out, but I'm an anomaly in that I cannot wait to leave California, so...take that as you will.

Reactions: 1 users
I always feel like I'm dodging bullets in my own mind although I know its just a silly predisposition.

Whenever something doesn't go perfect I worry about the off chance that someone will be contacted and give me a less than stellar reference, potentially sinking my app or something and relegating me to the McDonalds fry line. You could say I have a heavy chip on my shoulder.

Last edited:
Out, but I'm an anomaly in that I cannot wait to leave California, so...take that as you will.
but I <3 california, I want to stay SOOOO BADDDDD. PLEASE LET ME STAYYYYYY :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever med school I go to better have a whole foods close by

This thread is a good change of pace from the doom and gloom typically seen on SDN.

Congrats to everyone with acceptances!

1. 1.4 gpa first semester
2. 0 shadowing or clinical experience in undergrad
3. Didn't realize I wanted to do medicine until 4th semester
4. Probably a bunch of stupid choices

The one I am trying to attend does...walking distance lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
which one is that :O? I'm not a snob I just only try to consume ethically and humanely treated animals..unless theres a farm nearby where I could get them ..hmm..

- GPA <3.0 freshman year
- upward trend soph-jun years (GPA of 3.9 each semester), but then slipped a bit senior year (had bad mono first semester, and a touch of senioritis the second)
- did postbac while working full-time (my grades were mostly good, but could have been better with more available study time)
- took MCAT in July
- AMCAS verified in early Sept, secondaries in through Oct

6 MD IIs, attended 4, accepted outright at 3, accepted off the waitlist at 1
granted, my MCAT was very high, and I have strong ECs

- Reapplicant
- Took MCAT 3 times
- Received 2 Cs in prequistie classes
- AMCAS verified in September

9 IIs, attended 6 IIs, 1 post-interview acceptance, 2 acceptances off the waitlist

Reapplicant
Took MCAT 3x
3.5/3.6
Took MCAT in Sept/ applied in Oct (absolutely foolish)
10 apps,4 ii, 2 WL, 2 acceptances
200 hours shadowing/no other clinical experience

Last edited:
1. Personal statement somehow ended mid-sentence. I'm 99.9% sure there was nothing wrong when I submitted it, but looked back later and discovered the last 3-4 words missing.
2. 5 W's on my transcript
3. 3 C's (including a C in a class I dropped the year before because I was going to get a B instead of an A...whoops lol)
4. Studied poorly for my first MCAT and got a very mediocre score on it

Updating since this thread has been bumped; not only did I get accepted with these 4 stupid things, but I recently found out I ended up scoring a 247 on Step 1. I used to worry that "well I was accepted, but maybe I just barely got in, so I'll struggle to do well." Nope. N=1, but you can apparently make at least 4 ******* mistakes like I did and still end up in the top 20% of Step scores nationwide someday.

Reactions: 7 users
A few C's and a B instead of an A will not sink you to the carib. Nor will tie very mean you have to just apply to DO schools. A kid I mentored through my medical school's mentoring program at a daughter school made a mistake during his sophomore year (too long to explain) and pulled out with a 2.76 cGPA for that year. From then on, he made A's/B's and did his best. He got 5 acceptances (4 MD, 1 DO) and will be starting medical school this fall (was an M2 when I started to contact him.) If you wanna know my story, just PM me. It's a long story as well.

This site, though very helpful in many ways, will make you believe that your GPA and MCAT will never be good enough unless you have the app strength to realistically apply to Vanderbilt, Harvard, JHU, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
As a completely terrified undergrad, I would like to thank you with my whole heart for making this thread. Finally some hope!

There needs to be a stickied thread like this to counteract all of the negative neuroticism in these forums lol

THIS THREAD IS AMAZING! I've literally been neurotic the past two years since I have found this site, and have been worried about small things, and you guys have mistakes that trump everything I've done. Seriously this forum has made me more neurotic than any other wannabe doc at my school. THIS HAS RELIEVED SOME PRESSURE!

Also, Good job on everyone overcoming challenges and showing some true grit.

Okay, here I go...

#1. I got into all of the Top 20s!
#2. I died.
#3. The medical school students used my cadaver to further their medical studies.

What I learned from this thread is crying in the interview = acceptance.

This is a great thread, I really hope everyone realizes not everyone applies with superstar stats. Knowing plenty of kids who got accepted into med school this past cycle I can say with confidence that 88%ile+ MCAT is not the only criteria judged when IIs and subsequent acceptances go out...

1) Got a 'W' in yoga (midterm to stronk)
2) 'W' in physics 2/2 participating in Spring Conference in New Orleans right before the midterm
3) C- in chem 2, C+ Orgo 2
4) Went to Vegas for another Conference the week of my MCAT
5) Only applied to two MD schools

End result: went to top 10 MD school, now ortho.

You can do it too, not everyone has the typical SDN premed path of 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA 4000 hours of shadowing and 40+ applications.

Reactions: 6 users
2. didn't wear stockings to my first two interviews cuz I just didn't realize that was a thing - was accepted at both schools

What do you mean wearing stockings is a thing?

Okay, here I go...

#1. I got into all of the Top 20s!
#2. I died.
#3. The medical school students used my cadaver to further their medical studies.
Well, you are technically in medical school!!! Good job!