I matched in the DO match. How do I withdrawal from the MD match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already matched in the DO match last week. However, I had already registered with NRMP and the MD match just in case the DO match didn't work out. Here are my questions:

1) Is it mandatory to officially withdrawal or can I just not rank any programs and be done with it?

2) If I should withdrawal (either if it's mandatory or the polite/expected thing to do), how do I do so?

Any other input would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Applicants who participate in the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match are prohibited from participating in the NRMP Match for concurrent- year positions. The earlier schedule of the AOA Match allows applicants to compete for an osteopathic position and, if unsuccessful, to participate in the NRMP. The AOA informs the NRMP of the dual participants who have matched into an osteopathic program, and those individuals are withdrawn automatically from the NRMP Match for concurrent year PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions.

Did u try logging on to NRMP and seeing if you are still in the match? See what your status says. Also if you have not been withdrawn yet, you can do it manually or wait till the 23rd after 9pm and you will most likely be withdrawn (assuming you told the AOA match that you are applying to NRMP).

Did u try logging on to NRMP and seeing if you are still in the match? See what your status says. Also if you have not been withdrawn yet, you can do it manually or wait till the 23rd after 9pm and you will most likely be withdrawn (assuming you told the AOA match that you are applying to NRMP).

I just logged in to the NRMP site. I am still listed as "Active." Am I going to get in trouble for not withdrawing if I just want to see what happens? Again, I did not make or submit a rank list.

I would just call them.

BTW, got an email from a PD today that said that if you are a DO that matched in the AOA match that you would be auto withdrawn but if you matched in the DO SCRAMBLE that you need to do this yourself as you will not be auto withdrawn. So it depends on how you matched last week....

I would just call them.

BTW, got an email from a PD today that said that if you are a DO that matched in the AOA match that you would be auto withdrawn but if you matched in the DO SCRAMBLE that you need to do this yourself as you will not be auto withdrawn. So it depends on how you matched last week....

I feel there's no way I could get through with a phone call to the NRMP today. To answer your question yes I did match as a DO via the AOA Match last week.

your call...

Tonight is the last time to deal with this issue though...I have no clue what time they close but it is 4.58p eastern right now. I think it is worth a call only b/c your status says active but it is your call. I think it is probably ok though since you did not get the spot through the scramble and have not ranked any programs
good luck

your call...

Tonight is the last time to deal with this issue though...I have no clue what time they close but it is 4.58p eastern right now. I think it is worth a call only b/c your status says active but it is your call. I think it is probably ok though since you did not get the spot through the scramble and have not ranked any programs
good luck

You made me concerned so I called the NRMP. They stated that before Match day on March 17th they'll go through in a process called the "clean up" and withdrawal all AOA-matched applications.

Now, I don't know why I'm don't just click "Withdrawal" right now... just nerves I guess. I hate "withdrawing" myself from anything, haha!

ha! see you got through...

remember they have more accurate info that we do on sdn.

congrats on matching

If you don't submit a rank list you're not included in the Match either