I matched into residency in ny..do I need to buy state license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do pgy1 residents need state license or not?

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG, NY requires 3 years of residency before you are eligible for a full and unrestricted medical license.

If they require a training license your residency program will give you information on obtaining that.

I did my residency in Queens. No, you don't need to apply for a state license. The training license is provided by the program.

As above - a license to practice medicine cannot be given to an IMG in NY state until a residency is completed. You will not be able to "moonlight" or practice medicine outside of your residency during your PGY.

If you went to a US medical school, you can gain your license after a min. of one year - but program directors can block the ability to moonlight.

As above - a license to practice medicine cannot be given to an IMG in NY state until a residency is completed. You will not be able to "moonlight" or practice medicine outside of your residency during your PGY.

Actually the requirement is that you must finish three years of graduate medical education. Therefore you only have to finish residency before obtaining a license if you're doing a three-year residency. For those in longer training programs, a license could be obtained if they so desired.