I need a reality check please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shayla1013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My major weakness would be my lack of research...is that a deal breaker?

For Harvard, almost certainly. For BU, perhaps.

Impossible to project without an idea of how you'll do on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might help a bit, but it isn't really what medical schools are looking for as far as research goes.

If you want research experience, reach out to a variety of professors whose research interests you and offer to volunteer in their labs. At least one will say yes.

No one can give you an accurate assessment of your chances w/o an MCAT score.

For Harvard, you'll need extensive hard science research experience (2+ yrs with abstracts/publications) at a minimum.

Research is pretty much a requirement for the research powerhouses, like, well, Harvard. It probably won't hurt at more service or missions-oriented schools like USC, Quinnipiac or Creighton. having a child won't hurt...I've had single mom's as students.

So I am looking for advice on what my chances are to be accepted to medical school and also what I can do now to help boost my application! I am a junior at Umass Amherst my GPA is 3.8 but hopefully I will be able to get it up to 3.9 by the time I graduate in 2016. I am a Biochemistry Major as well as a member of the Commonwealth Honors College. I have been volunteering at a hospital since 2013 as a patient advocate in the ER as well as shadowing nurses / doctors on a varying schedule. I plan to continue to volunteer until I graduate. My major weakness would be my lack of research...is that a deal breaker? Also though I am a full-time student and a traditional age (22) I have a two year old son. Is this something that would help or hurt my application to talk about? I think it could either show strong drive and time management or it could be seen as a liability. Anyways thank you in advance for your advice. I plan to apply to Umass Med School (top choice) Harvard, BU, and Tufts as I would like to stay in Ma where my family and fiancé are.

Shayla

For Harvard, you'll need extensive hard science research experience (2+ yrs with abstracts/publications) at a minimum.

What do you base this on? Certainly schools like Harvard value research experience, but I haven't gotten the impression that such extensive research (2+ years with abstracts / pubs) can be called a minimum, even at Harvard.

What do you base this on? Certainly schools like Harvard value research experience, but I haven't gotten the impression that such extensive research (2+ years with abstracts / pubs) can be called a minimum, even at Harvard.

I'd say 2-3 years of serious research and several formal presentations is the minimum. The only person I know at Harvard MD had 4 years of research and 4 publications (not all medically related).

I'd say 2-3 years of serious research and several formal presentations is the minimum. The only person I know at Harvard MD had 4 years of research and 4 publications (not all medically related).

Like before with Alpinism's statement, what makes you think that this much research is a "minimum"? Is this mostly based on your single anecdote about the Harvard student?

The 2+ years was directed at the OP based on her ECs, not meant as a hard and fast rule for everyone.

Extensive research isn't "required" for any top school including Harvard. However, it is highly suggested for any serious applicant who doesn't have other outstanding ECs. Top schools want to train future leaders and researchers not regular physicians. Considering that the OP has a 2 yr old son, doesn't attend a top undergrad, and doesn't have any big-time ECs (competitive athlete or musician, starting an NGO or charity organization, prior successful career or entrepreneur, etc...) her best shot at Harvard would be via obtaining extensive research experience.

OP don't use your name on here, even if it is just your first name. Chances are completely dependent on your MCAT. If you do well on that test and maintain your GPA and add ECs as you go you will be in good shape. Trying to stay in a specific state will reduce your odds greatly though.

Yeah I figured that Harvard would be a reach school. Ideally Umass would be my top choice anyways. Im taking the new MCAT this coming year so I don't even know what a good score would be!

Hey Shayla. I would strongly, strongly encourage you to branch out beyond just the four massachusetts schools. You could add schools like Albany, Dartmouth, Brown, and SUNY Upstate.
I am a MA resident with 2 yrs research, a year of clinical work, a 3.6 & a strong MCAT. I applied to the 4 MA schools and reiterated my interest at staying at home, but I only received interviews at BU and UMass (and eventually rejected from both). Had I only applied to those 4 schools, I'd be preparing for another year of secondaries and interviews.