I need help deciding on a major and if I can actually get into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yma13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I just finished my freshman year of college and I did horribly. I was in the Pharmacy program at Rutgers University but I switched out because I really want to become a dentist. I was unable to do well my first year because of family problems and living situations. With all of that going on, I was able to have a job on campus where I worked for my school's television network where I have found a new passion of marketing.

With that said, I was wondering if it would be a smart idea to major in Marketing or Accounting, with a minor in Biology. What do you guys think?

My current gpa is 2.5 but I can get it up to a 2.8 by the end of the summer with A's because I am currently taking Biology. If I continue to obtain straight A's I will have a pretty good GPA in the 3 point something range.

As for dental schools I am hoping to apply to, this involves UMDNJ, NYU, and Temple. Do you guys think I have a chance? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I just finished my freshman year of college and I did horribly. I was in the Pharmacy program at Rutgers University but I switched out because I really want to become a dentist. I was unable to do well my first year because of family problems and living situations. With all of that going on, I was able to have a job on campus where I worked for my school's television network where I have found a new passion of marketing.

With that said, I was wondering if it would be a smart idea to major in Marketing or Accounting, with a minor in Biology. What do you guys think?

My current gpa is 2.5 but I can get it up to a 2.8 by the end of the summer with A's because I am currently taking Biology. If I continue to obtain straight A's I will have a pretty good GPA in the 3 point something range.

As for dental schools I am hoping to apply to, this involves UMDNJ, NYU, and Temple. Do you guys think I have a chance? Thanks for the help.

No body knows until you finish Sophomore and Junior year and see how well you do. Assuming similar performance like your freshman year, and you'll have a next-to-impossible time getting in.

On the other hand, if you start pulling your stuff together, busting out better grades, you can easily repair that 2.5 into a more respectable 3.3+ (and higher sGPA ofc) by end of your undergrad. This will make you reliable applicant.

As far as majors go, it doesn't matter if you major in Accounting/business or science, at the end of the day, the overall and science GPAs are the biggest factors. Some will argue that a biology major is most suited/best prepares you for dental school, sure, but IMO, that doesn't increase your competitiveness, it just makes you a little more prepared.

This is just my opinion:

If you already know that you want to get into dental school then "JUST MAKE SURE TO DO WELL IN ALL THE PRE-REQUISITE COURSES". No matter what major you choose to do, as long as you do well in those pre-requisites (chem, ochem, phys, bio) then administration have no problem admitting you (assuming you do volunteering and other extracurricular activities). This is why they have oGPA, sGPA and BCP GPA to observe how people do in science courses.

I say pick the major that you think you will do well in and enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
That statistic is interesting. It means that Engineering has the best chance but it is one of the hard major to get a good GPA. I know that from first hand and graduated in it.

So Engineering would be your choice? LOL