I need help figuring out how to continue (not getting into med school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am at that point where I know that I will not have a shot at getting in at any medical school in the states (but not sure about islands), and I want to know what all I could do with a B.S. in Biology. My GPAs are terrible 2.74 cGPA, and around 2.5-2.6 sGPA. I am taking the MCAT in 10 days and I am definitely trying to get a good grade but ever since my family started having problems ever since end of my freshman year, I sort of just went on tilt and lost motivation to try harder and focus on studies only. I am entering my senior year in a week and have started applying to some grad programs but am worried that my MCAT score will not be good enough. What all can I do? I am trying to stay in the mid-atlantic/northeast.

Should i bother applying for masters programs? Are there any schools and programs that accept low GPA and no exam?

I have about 2-3 years of research experience and am getting 2 solid rec letters from the PI and lab manager, and an additional letter from a doctor that I worked with over last summer.

I don't want to end up working a lousy job with a biology degree and I hope there are schools that would accept me

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not confident that you'll do well on the MCAT and you don't have the GPA for med school anyway, why are you writing it?

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not confident that you'll do well on the MCAT and you don't have the GPA for med school anyway, why are you writing it?
Because I am studying my butt off for it to see if I can make something good of it. Anything can happen

Also, I never said I wasn't confident about the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop, do not take the MCAT. Do you have practice scores that indicate you'll do well? Even if you do, you can't apply with your GPA at this time.

Focus on one thing at a time. You need to identify why you got poor grades, and more importantly, change the situation (family issues) in order to improve your grades.

You'll have to retake your sciences classes (for DO grade replacement) to improve your GPA above 3.0 for any consideration at all. Take the MCAT in a year or two—you need to get your GPA up first.

Reactions: 2 users
Stop, do not take the MCAT. Do you have practice scores that indicate you'll do well? Even if you do, you can't apply with your GPA at this time.

Focus on one thing at a time. You need to identify why you got poor grades, and more importantly, change the situation (family issues) in order to improve your grades.

You'll have to retake your sciences classes (for DO grade replacement) to improve your GPA above 3.0 for any consideration at all. Take the MCAT in a year or two—you need to get your GPA up first.

I would totally retake classes but i just do not have the money to stay in undergrad for 2 more years. That's why I'm asking about Masters programs that I could complete and get a decent job

I don't think you're ready for CARS, at the very least
Okay, so tell me, in the event that my score sucks and I have no chance for medical school, what are alternatives I can look into? You are not helping very much.

I agree with the posters above. A 2.X gpa displays a luck of fundamental knowledge, which will most likely lead to a bad MCAT score and bad SMP performance. Both of those things will kill your chances at getting into medical school. You may not have the money to take the classes, but a likely low MCAT score (which you cannot erase from your records), is guaranteed to keep your chances of getting into medical school at 0%.

This is what I would do if money is really an issue. Work for a year or two to make some money, retake your C, D, and F classes, take the MCAT when you are sure you can get a 503+ score, and apply early and broadly to DO schools only. If you take the MCAT now, you will get a bad score, not get in anywhere, and have to do some GPA repair, and by then your score may expire.

Medical school is not going anywhere, so it is best to apply with the strongest application possible rather than half-a$$ing it and hoping for the best.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're looking into Masters Programs that can give you more job opportunities, maybe you should focus on taking the GRE instead of the MCAT? The GRE should give you more choices for grad programs.

And as others mentioned, you could just get ANY job so you can make money to retake science classes, make your GPA higher, take the MCAT then apply DO.

Okay, so tell me, in the event that my score sucks and I have no chance for medical school, what are alternatives I can look into? You are not helping very much.

You have no chance at any med schools now. There is no MCAT that will redeem your current GPAs. You have to try and fix your GPAs before you take the MCAT. It would be sad if you somehow scored very well and spent the next few years doing grade replacement and working on ECs only to find out your MCAT has expired. You also have to get to work on your ECs. It seems, from what you have shared, that you don't have much in those areas.
As to other areas you can look into, do a search for careers in health care. Something might pop up that interests you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
What skills do you have? Who is hiring people with your skill set? Take a look at "What Color is Your Parachute?" to determine what you are good at that might show the way toward employment.

Reactions: 5 users
I would totally retake classes but i just do not have the money to stay in undergrad for 2 more years. That's why I'm asking about Masters programs that I could complete and get a decent job
You can retake your undergrad courses in a cheaper college.

Taking several undergrad classes again—paying for the single credits—is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than a master's program if your goal is medical school.

If your goal is to look beyond going to medical school, you're probably correct this it will be more valuable to get a useful master's degree, which could at least give you the opportunity for a good job.

The problem is that a master's degree will not improve the undergrad GPA scenario if you're still trying to go to medical school.

Be very careful about entering a master's program in "biomedical sciences" or the like. These are not real biology master's degrees and will not be well regarded if you're looking for a job in the sciences. They are essentially second undergraduate degrees for people who are trying to improve their science GPAs for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, even with a stellar MCAT, your GPA will keep you out -- and to make things even worse, by the time you repair your GPA, your even-if-stellar MCAT will very likely have expired. If you're SUPER-ready to take the MCAT and have fully remedied all of the things that distracted you during the regular school year, I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But again, until you fix the GPA, it won't help you either. Do your practice scores indicate you can expect > 510?

If not, the best course at this time is to stop digging yourself into a deeper hole. EVERY MCAT counts, so it's not like you've got nothing to lose by taking it.

As to your direct question, most masters programs won't help you get into MD school, so if that's your motivation, stop on that front also.

Your BS Bio alone won't qualify you for much beyond what any other undergrad degree qualifies a person for -- so focus on the 'regular' job market using your skills and personal characteristics. There are plenty of jobs out there, and with a good attitude, one of them can be yours --

Reactions: 2 users
What skills do you have? Who is hiring people with your skill set? Take a look at "What Color is Your Parachute?" to determine what you are good at that might show the way toward employment.

Such a good book. It really helped my nephew!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Taking several undergrad classes again—paying for the single credits—is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than a master's program if your goal is medical school.

If your goal is to look beyond going to medical school, you're probably correct this it will be more valuable to get a useful master's degree, which could at least give you the opportunity for a good job.

The problem is that a master's degree will not improve the undergrad GPA scenario if you're still trying to go to medical school.

Be very careful about entering a master's program in "biomedical sciences" or the like. These are not real biology master's degrees and will not be well regarded if you're looking for a job in the sciences. They are essentially second undergraduate degrees for people who are trying to improve their science GPAs for medical school.

Yes I am talking about the more useful masters programs so I can finally stop being so stressed about all this and live the rest of my life with a decent job :/

Also, if I don't do so hot on the MCAT (my practice scores are like averaging 504), do you recommend taking the GRE? I feel like it is pointless to not take it now since there would be no refund. I heard there are some programs that allow for substitution of MCAT for the GRE though?

Yes I am talking about the more useful masters programs so I can finally stop being so stressed about all this and live the rest of my life with a decent job :/

Also, if I don't do so hot on the MCAT (my practice scores are like averaging 504), do you recommend taking the GRE? I feel like it is pointless to not take it now since there would be no refund. I heard there are some programs that allow for substitution of MCAT for the GRE though?

You shouldn't take it now. Invest in grade repair. I know it sucks that you'll get no refund but it is not worth having a bad or below average MCAT score. Also by the time you're done with grade repair you'll likely need to take the MCAT again as your first one would have expired by then.

Cancel your MCAT and get whatever refund you can get at this point. Not trying to be rude but trying to save you money and time. If you want to go to med school retake failed courses as others have mentioned. Only other option I can think of is podiatry school, which could be a reasonable option given your stats.

You say that you can't afford more years in undergraduate and yet you want a Master's. You know that costs money too right?

What I would suggest is perhaps consider podiatry. I don't know why people don't suggest it. It isn't as competitive in terms of GPA or MCAT. You're a doctor of the feet. There are residencies. You get to do surgery if that's a thing you like. It has good job prospects and pay. As long as you don't mind feet for the rest of your life, its pretty close to a dream job for many people.

I suggest simply working, at anything, for a few years and then figure out what you want to do. Good lab techs are always hard to find, so a MS in a lab science will always be useful for that, or for teaching.

Hi,

I am at that point where I know that I will not have a shot at getting in at any medical school in the states (but not sure about islands), and I want to know what all I could do with a B.S. in Biology. My GPAs are terrible 2.74 cGPA, and around 2.5-2.6 sGPA. I am taking the MCAT in 10 days and I am definitely trying to get a good grade but ever since my family started having problems ever since end of my freshman year, I sort of just went on tilt and lost motivation to try harder and focus on studies only. I am entering my senior year in a week and have started applying to some grad programs but am worried that my MCAT score will not be good enough. What all can I do? I am trying to stay in the mid-atlantic/northeast.

Should i bother applying for masters programs? Are there any schools and programs that accept low GPA and no exam?

I have about 2-3 years of research experience and am getting 2 solid rec letters from the PI and lab manager, and an additional letter from a doctor that I worked with over last summer.

I don't want to end up working a lousy job with a biology degree and I hope there are schools that would accept me

Hi,

You should give up on med school. Which means you shouldn't waste time on the MCAT. Please move on with your life. Find something non-medical... There's a ton of possibilities

You should give up on med school. Which means you shouldn't waste time on the MCAT. Please move on with your life. Find something non-medical... There's a ton of possibilities

I've read plenty of stories on here about people getting in with grade repair, a solid MCAT, and some reworking of their life situation. If it's really OP's dream to go to med school, he can go. It might not be for another 5 or 10 years, but hey, everyone is different.

I've read plenty of stories on here about people getting in with grade repair, a solid MCAT, and some reworking of their life situation. If it's really OP's dream to go to med school, he can go. It might not be for another 5 or 10 years, but hey, everyone is different.

Interesting contrast in advice. I think a 2.7/2.5 is a pretty difficult obstacle to overcome especially if backed with 100+ credits. It's a lot of grade repair. MD route is likely out because it's sadly impractical in most cases via brute force method (taking classes to bump both GPAs up to 3.0, acing the MCAT, applying and acing an SMP, and applying). It takes too long and is too expensive.

DO route is optimal here, but it will take a few years work to improve the GPA. Either way, OP shouldn't bother with the MCAT now. And OP should try to work somewhere to gather the finances to pay for tuition, and the master's program is unnecessary.

This is for if OP is still interested in pursuing medicine. Otherwise, I would do what doc05 says.

OP, it's true that you can do the DO route with grade repair, but at this point there is no reason for us to believe you are ready to actually excel in school. If you said you had a 2.7, but had made a 4.0 the last year, then yes you would be ready.

I suggest, like others stated, go get a job. I can't tell you what job to get, but people get jobs. Join the military, be a park ranger, wait tables, go be a lab tech, or paramedic, or whatever the hell you want. Do something for yourself for a few years, then later ask yourself if you're ready to give this doctor thing a go. You won't regret it.