I need help preparing for the MCAT this fall!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringSurgeonGeneral

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so my MCAT is in early November. I want to take it before the new one comes out this spring...

I am considering taking an MCAT prep course, either through Kaplan or through TPR. I have a few concerns, though:

Is the course even worth it? I'm terrible at studying, and it's something I'm trying to work on as I continue my undergraduate career. I feel that having an actual class to go to would be better than trying to study for it on my own. My parents are willing to help pay for it, but I still feel guilty knowing the hefty price tag for one of the on-site courses. I do think I'll study better with it, but can anyone who has used it give me some insight into how it all worked, and how useful it was?

Now comes the time constraint... I have no idea how much time I need to spend studying to prepare for the MCAT. I did decently in my pre-req courses, but definitely need all the review I can get. This fall, I'm taking: Organic II w/ lab, Analytical Chemistry w/ lab, Genetics, and 2 credits (6 hours/wk) of undergraduate research. Aside from my courses, I have a 10 hour/wk job, and two organizations on campus that I am fairly involved with. My concern: is studying for the MCAT going to require me to cut down on my other activities, or is it something I can treat like another class? I am worried that I have too much on my plate...

I know that it's impossible to really know my situation given what I've told, but I would really appreciate any advice or tips from someone who's been through something similar.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The course was not helpful for me at all.. I dont think you should waste the money on these courses. THey're are taught by students and the quality of the courses varies a lot depending on how well the instructor is (i.e. my physics instructor was so horrible, that the entire class signed a petition to have them not hire him in the future).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for input! If you don't mind me asking, did you do Kaplan or TPR?

Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you even taking it in November?

You're setting yourself up for failure. Take the free AAMC Test 3 on their website to gauge how much content you know right now. The test is more analyzing and applying background knowledge rather than a straight up knowledge test like in biochem. Expect 2+ hours a day of studying a day unless you're an above average student.

-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are going to NEED to develop better study habits for the MCAT. A prep course will provide mostly just passive learning, which will NOT help you get a good score on the MCAT. You need to be actively learning.

I believe the last test date for the old MCAT is in January 2015. That would give you a solid few weeks of intensive study during Winter Break in addition to however much studying you get done during the semester.

Actually, the first administration date for the new MCAT is April 17, 2015. It's the last question under the first tab, if you're trying to find that.

OP, trying to double your Verbal score is most likely not going to happen in a month, unless that's all you do for a month. I know you're saying that you'll take it in November, but that means you only have around a month of time you can commit without detracting from your other courses.

Try opening your horizons by doing some casual reading. That may make you comfortable with the verbiage they use on the MCAT. :)

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I think I'm going to take it in January now. I am serious about devoting time to this, and will of course spend every day that I can studying for it, but I am still unsure about the MCAT prep course... The one that is being offered through Kaplan at my university is two days/wk, and it seems very useful, especially for someone like me who learns better in a classroom setting, but I'm still hesitant to enroll because of the cost.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I think I'm going to take it in January now. I am serious about devoting time to this, and will of course spend every day that I can studying for it, but I am still unsure about the MCAT prep course... The one that is being offered through Kaplan at my university is two days/wk, and it seems very useful, especially for someone like me who learns better in a classroom setting, but I'm still hesitant to enroll because of the cost.

If you truly feel like you won't be able to review the material effectively without a tutor, then go for it. But you must promise yourself NOT to rely on it to do well. Scoring well requires your own input of effort to consciously and actively review the material and practice applying these skills towards problems and passages under appropriately timed conditions.

And the MCAT isn't administered between January 23rd, 2015 (last old MCAT date) and April 17th, 2015 (first new MCAT date). Not sure what your point is.

Is it really? I wasn't aware. Sorry 'bout that, OP.