I need help with my Curriculum Vitae for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joh0472

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have got supplemental applications back from a few of the schools I applied to and some are requesting a curriculum vitae. Does anyone have good examples of CV's? I would appreciate any guidance apart from directing me to a job search site with templates.

Members don't see this ad.

No one uses a CV. Only academics use them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure anyone hoping to do a residency will need one...
Exactly what I said, only academics want them. Once you apply for a regular pharmacist position, be it hospital, community, etc, they'll ask for a resume.

Exactly what I said, only academics want them. Once you apply for a regular pharmacist position, be it hospital, community, etc, they'll ask for a resume.

That is using the term academics loosely... I do agree that a prestigious position with Bob's pharmacy or CVS will not require a CV. The few hospital positions I have applied for asked for a CV (forgive the anecdotal evidence).

When in doubt, refer to those with more experience (which would not be I).

A CV is less detailed than a resume. With a great CV, you can easily put together a resume if a potiential employer prefers it. As a PD1, I have already used a CV for two extracurricular activity apps. In fact, one of my classes requires us to compose a CV as assignment. ASHP's midyear meeting includes programming for pharmacy students, which includes a CV workshop. My point is, CV's are everywhere. Do not think that you only need one for academia.

If you are just applying to pharm school now, you probably won't have much difference between a resume and your CV. (I'm assuming you've just done undergrad and haven't had a previous career). The CV will be much longer and complex, so if you need a resume, you can simply pull out a few relevant topics from it and voila! a nice resume.

As a P1, i'm applying for internships now. I'm still sort of in the boat that I don't really have tons of experience to mention, so my CV looks rather like a resume.