I need Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needtobeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first post...but I definitely need some help...I graduated with a BS in Biology and Chemistry and I have applied twice...once last year to about 5 schools with one interview and this time to 12 schools with well pending consideration for interviews for about 5 of them...my stats are:

MCAT-8,8,8 across the board same in every section
GPA-3.6
Science GPA-3.3

Volunteer exp-
-volunteer in clinics, give to the troops, homeless shelter and variety of other charities

Work experience
-working as a CNA

Research-
working on causes of sarcoidosis for 2 yrs with 2 co-author publications

-I've also done some study abroad

Last time most of the schools told me I mostly need to improve my MCAT and have direct physician shadowing so I've been studying for my MCAT and have shadowed physicians but I need to know if I should do something else. I've also applied to summer enrichment programs and have been denied because well apparently I have a strong application for those

I graduated in 2011 and since then I've worked in research for few months and I've shadowed and continued volunteering..I went abroad with family for few months...now since I don't have my job I am wondering would working as a EMT or something help my application if I don't get in this year?
...*sigh* I don't know what to do...please anyone help

Members don't see this ad.

Need to boost your science GPA, take over whatever you did poorly in
Probably need to take the MCAT over, 24 is low acceptable.
Apply to at least 20 schools
Apply on the first day.
Throw in DO in the mix
At this point beggars can't be choosers so you will need to look any and all options.

I agree with what CB said.
Retake the MCAT for certain, apply broadly and to MD/DO programs, and apply June 1st. I have a 3.18 GPA (same for both) including the 3.85+ PB work. I have a 26Q (10bs, 9vr, 7ps) and I was accepted in 2 places, no doubt because I had my stuff in day 1!! Check school policies though, some have very clear guidelines on 3rd attempts. Like the UMN says you only get 3 attempts in your lifetime for the school, and the 3rd attempt must have a gap of at least 1yr between cycles (if you applied 2011, 2012, the earliest you can reapply for your final attempt is 2014), and there must be a significant change in your application. Maybe think about using the next few months or the summer to do a MCAT prep course? I know several people who swear the 2500 was worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is holding you back. Everything else looks to be in order although the GPA isn't the greatest, people with those stats get accepted every year.

Need to boost your science GPA, take over whatever you did poorly in
Probably need to take the MCAT over, 24 is low acceptable.
Apply to at least 20 schools
Apply on the first day.
Throw in DO in the mix
At this point beggars can't be choosers so you will need to look any and all options.

I agree with what CB said.
Retake the MCAT for certain, apply broadly and to MD/DO programs, and apply June 1st. I have a 3.18 GPA (same for both) including the 3.85+ PB work. I have a 26Q (10bs, 9vr, 7ps) and I was accepted in 2 places, no doubt because I had my stuff in day 1!! Check school policies though, some have very clear guidelines on 3rd attempts. Like the UMN says you only get 3 attempts in your lifetime for the school, and the 3rd attempt must have a gap of at least 1yr between cycles (if you applied 2011, 2012, the earliest you can reapply for your final attempt is 2014), and there must be a significant change in your application. Maybe think about using the next few months or the summer to do a MCAT prep course? I know several people who swear the 2500 was worth it!

MCAT is holding you back. Everything else looks to be in order although the GPA isn't the greatest, people with those stats get accepted every year.

Thanks I was thinking of applying to DO's this next time too....and I am planning on taking the MCAT in a few months...as for my GPA do you think a postbac would be beneficial...I have applied to some but have gotten denied in the past...but hey I don't mind trying again. And I will definitely apply on the first day next time around since this past time I applied in August.Thank you guys so much! :)

I, personally, do not see any formal post-bacc doing you any good. If you took some science courses, and pulled in As on them, that would help, but they could be any UL science you felt like taking. A 3.3 isn't great, but it's solid for DO, and if your MCAT was higher, it probably wouldn't be an issue. However, since there is room for improvement, it won't hurt just to take some science courses, or retake something you only have a C or less in...

You don't have to apply or beg anyone to take you into a post-bacc program. Just create your own, enroll as a non-degree seeking student and take all the pre-req's over that you got low grades in. DO allows grade replacement so it shouldn't be that hard to up your GPA. DO looks at grade improvement for posst-bacc work. That's how I did it since I didn't live where there was an official program.

Or, if it is like my alma mater, you enroll as degree seeking to get financial aid! :) (shhhh) anyway, you don't need a formal program... they're for wussies (just kidding to all of you people who did them)....

Thanks guys for the help....

Right now I'm just gonna focus on My MCAT and applying early and then retake a few courses while waiting for application feedback...

Wish me luck!:)