I need insight on my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtothel0104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. I am still in college and I haven't been doing so well. For the first two years, I acquired 2 F's, 1 D, 4 C's, a lot of Bs, 4 A's

Science GPA:
o chem I - B+
gen chem I - B+
Physics I - C+/B+
Biology I - B+

O chem II - 2 W's and then finally an A (W's were for medical reasons)
Physics II - A/A-
Biology II - A

I have 69 more units to take. Let's say I get all A's the in rest of my classes (I am not joking about this). How significant is an upward trend going to do for me?

MCAT score: 35

Extracurricular's
4 Medical Mission trips
Scribe: 3 years
ED Volunteer: 3 years with over 1000 hours of volunteering
UCSF Research 3 years
UCSF hospital volunteering
Organized and hosted over 150 blood drives
Women's clinic volunteer for 1 year
-------

Do you recommend that I take a post-bac to improve my grades? Perhaps pursue a Master's of Public Health? I want to become an OB/GYN or Trauma Surgeon and would like to get into a medical school like UCSF, UCI, UCD, Vanderbilt, Loma Linda, UCLA - How can I make myself a realistic applicant for those medical schools? I am willing to retake MCAT for a higher school. I have medication documentation that I can show for my unstable first 2 years of college.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that Vanderbilt and a few other schools reward "reinvention" so I think you would be okay applying there assuming you do well in your remaining classes. 35 MCAT definitely helps! Make sure to make ONLY A's from here on out and perhaps retake some of the grades that you messed up in to increase your GPA. An SMP might be your best option in regards to how med schools will view your GPA. But I would ask other adcoms like @Goro @gyngyn @mimelim or @Catalystik for a more poignant answer. Just my $0.02.

what are your cGPA and sGPA now? how about if you project 2 years from now and get all As (maybe be conservative and give yourself a 3.8 or something over that period)?

under no circumstances should you retake the MCAT

the rest of your app looks strong. be careful about how you spin the mental health issues

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree.

I have read that Vanderbilt and a few other schools reward "reinvention" so I think you would be okay applying there assuming you do well in your remaining classes. 35 MCAT definitely helps! Make sure to make ONLY A's from here on out and perhaps retake some of the grades that you messed up in to increase your GPA. An SMP might be your best option in regards to how med schools will view your GPA. But I would ask other adcoms like @Goro @gyngyn @mimelim or @Catalystik for a more poignant answer. Just my $0.02.

Ok, here is the deal. I am still in college and I haven't been doing so well. For the first two years, I acquired 2 F's, 1 D, 4 C's, a lot of Bs, 4 A's

Science GPA:
o chem I - B+
gen chem I - B+
Physics I - C+/B+
Biology I - B+

O chem II - 2 W's and then finally an A (W's were for medical reasons)
Physics II - A/A-
Biology II - A

I have 69 more units to take. Let's say I get all A's the in rest of my classes (I am not joking about this). How significant is an upward trend going to do for me?

MCAT score: 35

Extracurricular's
4 Medical Mission trips
Scribe: 3 years
ED Volunteer: 3 years with over 1000 hours of volunteering
UCSF Research 3 years
UCSF hospital volunteering
Organized and hosted over 150 blood drives
Women's clinic volunteer for 1 year
-------

Do you recommend that I take a post-bac to improve my grades? Perhaps pursue a Master's of Public Health? I want to become an OB/GYN or Trauma Surgeon and would like to get into a medical school like UCSF, UCI, UCD, Vanderbilt, Loma Linda, UCLA - How can I make myself a realistic applicant for those medical schools? I am willing to retake MCAT for a higher school. I have medication documentation that I can show for my unstable first 2 years of college.

#1 Regarding school work, the conventional wisdom is that if you can demonstrate for 3 semesters strong grades in reasonable classes (doesn't mean much if you start doing basket weaving and getting straight A's) and have a decent MCAT, you are in good shape. For MD schools, it will never wipe out your past performance, but it will go a long way to alleviate adcom concerns that you won't be able to handle the rigors of medical school. If you can do that and have a reasonable explanation for your lower grades earlier, whether it be reinvention/maturation, or illness, you will be in good shape.

#2 Regarding the MCAT, the only people that should retake the MCAT are people who have a reasonable expectation to improve their score. This is a very small subset of MCAT takers. The marginal utility of increasing your MCAT score is extremely small. No school considering you will change their mind on your application if you score a 38 vs your 35. Also remember that a good number of people that retake, even with more studying score the same or worse. Unless you were sick during your exam, didn't study at all or were consistently hitting 39+ on your practice tests, you should not retake your MCAT.

#3 Regarding realistic chances, what is your raw GPA? How much will it change with a realistic projection of your future grades? None of this, "I'm going to get all A's from here on out I swear!" Yes, it happens, but it is incredibly rare for someone to do a complete 180. 69 credits is a lot, but it may not be enough given the hole you are starting in from a numbers perspective. If you can't realistically get to at least a 3.3/3.4 I would consider finding a way to get more credits.

#4 It would be hard to get into the more competitive schools with a 3.3/35, even with a couple of years worth of strong performance, just because of the pool that you are competing with, but if you are applying strategically and more importantly, broadly, with a healthy set of ECs, reasonable LOR and PS, you stand a good chance of getting into a US MD school.

Reactions: 1 user