I need opinions (community college)

Warrior1243

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a junior in hs. My freshman and sophomore year I did horrible and have a GPA of 2.0. I will be taking online classes over the summer and will have a full schedule my senior year in attempt to get my GPA up enough to get into a university. My question is "If I do not get into a university what can my plan be?" I want to be a surgeon more than anything. I am willing to work harder than other to become one. Let's say I go to community college for one year, transfer to a university and complete my prereqs in 2 years? What are your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am currently a junior in hs. My freshman and sophomore year I did horrible and have a GPA of 2.0. I will be taking online classes over the summer and will have a full schedule my senior year in attempt to get my GPA up enough to get into a university. My question is "If I do not get into a university what can my plan be?" I want to be a surgeon more than anything. I am willing to work harder than other to become one. Let's say I go to community college for one year, transfer to a university and complete my prereqs in 2 years? What are your opinions?

Either way (community college transfer or 4 year university right away) is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Right now 3.8. That's because of a B that I plan to get up. And I just took the practice and score a 19 but I'm going to be studying all of April hopefully score a 26 or higher

Right now 3.8. That's because of a B that I plan to get up. And I just took the practice and score a 19 but I'm going to be studying all of April hopefully score a 26 or higher
I'd wait to get your score before you think about university vs comm college transfer

You really think a college would consider me?

If you show a near straight-A upwards trend in Junior and Senior year and score at least low 20's ACT you'll have a good shot at several of the schools in colorado

I hope so thank you it means a lot to just hear that I'm going to give it my best.

Are you a med student or doctor? if I may ask

Well I hope you get into the school of your choice. Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here was my plan B (and still is):

Go to community college for 2 years, take all prerequisites (take advantage of the fact that it's only like 200 bucks for a class), and transfer to a uni to finish the last two years. If the CC you're going to has something similar to a Transfer Admission Guarantee program (like they do here with the UC's), that will be a huge plus for you. Do as well as you possibly can in community college. I personally think that community college is 200% easier than high school if you don't sit around and you actually study. My total GPA at the end of high school was a 3.00 and after 3 CC semesters, I've gotten 97-100% in every single one of my classes, and no grade lower than that.

Study hard. Seriously. I've learned now that what I do in college is there forever. It is written all over my records, so I need as close to a 4.0 as possible. No messing around, because this is the real deal now. Also, do clinical volunteering and a lot of shadowing. Try to shadow a surgeon. It's difficult, but I've heard of people who were actually able to do so. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I actually have shadowed 1 surgeon already and am looking for more thank you for the advice I hope you get into Med school.

Thank you so much. I actually have shadowed 1 surgeon already and am looking for more thank you for the advice I hope you get into Med school.

No problem. And thanks. College is my second and only chance; I'm not wasting it!

Here was my plan B (and still is):

Go to community college for 2 years, take all prerequisites (take advantage of the fact that it's only like 200 bucks for a class), and transfer to a uni to finish the last two years. If the CC you're going to has something similar to a Transfer Admission Guarantee program (like they do here with the UC's), that will be a huge plus for you. Do as well as you possibly can in community college. I personally think that community college is 200% easier than high school if you don't sit around and you actually study. My total GPA at the end of high school was a 3.00 and after 3 CC semesters, I've gotten 97-100% in every single one of my classes, and no grade lower than that.

Study hard. Seriously. I've learned now that what I do in college is there forever. It is written all over my records, so I need as close to a 4.0 as possible. No messing around, because this is the real deal now. Also, do clinical volunteering and a lot of shadowing. Try to shadow a surgeon. It's difficult, but I've heard of people who were actually able to do so. Good luck.
Quick question. Won't medical schools look down on taking pre reqs in community college?

Quick question. Won't medical schools look down on taking pre reqs in community college?
This has been asked before, iirc the answers from adcoms have been 1) take some upper level science courses at the university to show you can handle rigorous science coursework at the university level and 2) make sure to really kill the MCAT because that is used to check the legitimacy of high comm college/unknown undergrad prereq grades

So since you are going to community college will you have to apply your senior year or will you be applying junior year just like everyone else?

So since you are going to community college will you have to apply your senior year or will you be applying junior year just like everyone else?
Is this addressed to someone or are you saying if one goes CC transfer do they have to apply as a senior?

You can apply as a Junior still, just take all your prereqs at the CC in the first two years and then in your Junior year at the full size university take some more science coursework, kill the MCAT at any point, then apply in June.

Thank you I never thought about it in that way. I'd like to know if you get into med school or what happens in your future can I keep in touch with you?

Thank you I never thought about it in that way. I'd like to know if you get into med school or what happens in your future can I keep in touch with you?
I'll be around on the boards and you can private message me whenever

I went to community college after high school and am now a second year medical student. Here's a principle to help you guide your decision: what matters more than where you go to college is how well you do. I did well enough in community college to transfer to a 4 year university where I graduated in the top 5% of my class. Don't count yourself out because of your high school career, try to figure out why you're not hitting the mark with your grades and make sure you do well in college.

Thank you so much. Could you write a summary of basically what happened from community college to now? If that isn't too much to ask

There are many threads that have already been created regarding this question. You can quickly search it. From what I've been reading, there are tons of medical students here on SDN that went to community college. Remember, there are non trads as well. They go back to CC. However, you need to really excel and get A's. CC's are generally seen as 'easier,' so the pressure is on you to get as close to a 4.0 as possible, and it is possible. I have a 4.0. It's actually not that difficult at my school. B's are a big no-no for me, only because I know how CCs are generally seen.

But no, based on what medical students are saying, they don't look down on CC if you do well. Wouldn't you prefer a 4.0 student in prereqs at a CC over a 3.3 student in prereqs at a 4-year university? Besides, the prereqs are covered in the MCAT; so if you do well, it just validates your CC GPA.

Great advice! Thank you that makes lots of sense

Thank you so much. Could you write a summary of basically what happened from community college to now? If that isn't too much to ask

Community college, treated 1st year as the 13th grade, bad move. Had a couple Cs, mostly Bs, few As
2nd year, thought maybe I'd go into nursing or something in the healthcare field, didn't think I had the grades to be a doc. Decided to volunteer in a hospital to see if I was okay working with sick people. Experience solidified my desire to pursue a career in the healthcare field. But what profession? Grades improved, mostly Bs and some As

3rd year, transferred to a 4 year university, continued volunteering in the hospital, found that if I stopped trying to memorize and instead understand the material I was able to do very well and the subject matter, no matter what I was studying, just became more interesting. Developed a natural curiosity for how things worked. my nateral curiosity led me to do research -- I wanted to see how science was really done. All A's

4th year, I decided to solidify my path to be an doc. I wanted to help people and apply biology. I continued doing research and volunteering. All A's

5th year, I finished up what course work I had left over, took the MCAT. Mostly A's except for 1 C (whoops!)

Year off - application process, worked as a lab tech, super chill year --- got accepted!

Rest is history!