I need realistic advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc3894

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a rising Junior at University. My current overall gpa is 3.5 and my current sgpa is 3.27 - I know less than ideal for great medical schools. However, I was originally planning on obtaining a PhD in Microbiology until I realized I had a real passion for clinical pathology. Long story short, if I want to pursue pathology I will need a medical degree. I plan on working my butt off to bring up my gpa. Also, by the time I would be applying I would have pretty extensive research experience (2+ years, with independent projects), including research presentation experience. I am working on obtaining some clinical experience as well. I realize it is hard to judge my chances without an MCAT score as well, but based on my stats as they stand, would I have a chance at all? I am looking at both MD and DO programs. Would my chance increase tremendously if I were to increase my gpa to even 3.6 or 3.7?

I would really just appreciate some realistic advice.. no sparing my feelings.
Do I stand any remote chance? Do you have suggestions on how to increase my chances?
Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is bringing your science gpa down so much?

I got a C in a hybrid math class that was teach yourself/online and a C+ in Orgo 2. I have finished all my math and chemistry courses at this point, so I only have bio and physics left to finish. Hopefully it will be an upward trend from here.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should be fine if those are your only two bad grades. what is the breakdown of the rest of them, approximately? more a's than b's? obviously you know that to make up for the C's you'll have to get more A's than B's and you'll level back out at somewhere around a B+ depending on the situation.

I definitely have more A's than B's for my other science GPA courses. I'll work hard on bring up my GPA, and hopefully that will better my chances.