I need some insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wannabe a doc

HSM HERE I COME!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well i need your guys opinion on a couple things. I want to be a doctor but I dont know if i possess the smarts or wit to be one. Its really making me sad because i fail to understand chemistry, I spend hours reading the book. I havent took biology but i heard that its even worse a nightmare than chem. Im currently in my 2nd year of inorganic chem. I got a C in my first semester of inorganic and looks like im getting a B in my 2nd. What do you suggest that i should do etc. Every post is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok well i need your guys opinion on a couple things. I want to be a doctor but I dont know if i possess the smarts or wit to be one. Its really making me sad because i fail to understand chemistry, I spend hours reading the book. I havent took biology but i heard that its even worse a nightmare than chem. Im currently in my 2nd year of inorganic chem. I got a C in my first semester of inorganic and looks like im getting a B in my 2nd. What do you suggest that i should do etc. Every post is appreciated.

Treat everything you listen to with a grain of salt. Certain people digest certain information quickly and can easily remember it for exams. Other people have trouble with certain areas yet excel in other subjects. I think we share a couple of traits since I too have trouble processing Chemistry. If you do get a B/B+ in Chemistry II, then adcomcs will see that you have improved. You should do you very best to sustain this grade or better when you take O. Chemistry and upper level Chemistry.

You should try shadowing or volunteering at a hospital in order to see if you like the lifestyle of being a doctor. Also I don't think one does not have to be necessarily intelligent to be a doctor as long as they are passionate and confident in their conviction and work thorougly to achieve their aims and to improve themselves on a daily basis. All you can do is to try your best. And to improve yourself and find more about yourself on a day-to-day basis. This is what I love about this process and the thrill of taking challenging courses.

It's okay if you're weak in certain subjects. As long as you're not TOO weak. You have to make sure that you try hard and that you don't give up while also thinking about others. This is just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Personally, I would suggest attending some student help seminars on campus if your university offers them. Changing up your studying habits may help alot. Getting Bs all the way through your pre-reqs, realistically, will probably make your application extremely difficult. Your classes are probably not going to be getting any easier, so I would look into study-help books or talks, and try to take their suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that med school is primarily upper-level science. Difficulties in Gen Chem don't necessarily mean you'll have trouble in Biology. Wait until you see how Bio goes before deciding if medicine is meant for you. A lot of people have trouble in Gen Chem, then whiz through Bio and Organic because it makes more sense.

I was a tutor during undergrad and I know several different people who had your same problem: no matter how many times they went through it, chemistry just didn't click with them. Most of them just needed it presented in a different way and it all worked out in the end. Try to talk to someone about it and get help.

Biology and Chemistry are very different subjects: basically like comparing apples and oranges when you're talking general chem and bio. You have to see for yourself to make decisions on what you want to do. Good luck.

Just do your best in classes (study as many hours as you have to, seek help from other students, tutors, TAs, professors..), and try to achieve your goal. If med school is unrealistic because of numbers, there are other programs that you can try to get in to that are less competitive where you would still be working in the medical field.

If reading the book isn't working for you, stop reading the book and go get help. Talk to someone in class who has a good grasp on the material or go get help elsewhere. Hearing and seeing the material presented in a different way can make a world of difference. Many of those books are hard to understand and really boring. Try writing down the concepts you're not getting while reading and take them into office hours for clarification.

And btw, bio is much easier for me than gen chem was.