I need some serious advices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanah02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

so i graduated from uni 2 years ago, and I majored in econ and did pre-pharm (if such thing exist). During uni, I completed all the required courses needed for pharmacy school however, i did not do so great.

Now that two years have passed, I would like to pursue pharmacy career again, but I am afraid that it will be useless now that I've already completed pre-pharm courses.

i just wish that i can restart everything. Is there still a chance for me to pursue pharmacy if i decide to do post bac and retake all my science classes?
I need some honest opinions please

Members don't see this ad.

How bad are your GPA and prereq grades? Generally, you want to retake the C- and below grades and move upward. You probably don't need to retake Bs and up as dealing with Cs and below could help enough.

PharmCAS will account for both grades, but there will be at least distinction between bacc and post-bacc. Schools could see that as two different people where the most recent one is a better student.

Give it a shot, doesn't hurt to apply. And remember, grades are only one component of a health profession candidate. There are many schools out there who seriously take into considerations of your extracurriculars, personal statement, and valuable insights. I would not go to a doctor/pharmacist who just has good grades (even in med/pharm school). Let's just say I know exactly how you feel as I was once in your shoes, only I learned that never say no to yourself, let the committee makes the decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really worth retaking B's? I'm sure there are many accepted pharm students that received a mix of A's and B's, because based on average GPA acceptance pools they range from 3.3-3.6 so straight A's are not evident.
At my college, you are not allowed to retake a course that you received a C or above in. Wouldn't it be better to take a higher level course in that department and strive for an A?
I think you'd not only be wasting your money but also your time. I think it would be more impressive to show that you could do better in an upper level course than repeating a course.
I'm sure they're many pharm students on this forum that received some B grades in their prereq courses.

Is it really worth retaking B's? I'm sure there are many accepted pharm students that received a mix of A's and B's, because based on average GPA acceptance pools they range from 3.3-3.6 so straight A's are not evident.
At my college, you are not allowed to retake a course that you received a C or above in. Wouldn't it be better to take a higher level course in that department and strive for an A?
I think you'd not only be wasting your money but also your time. I think it would be more impressive to show that you could do better in an upper level course than repeating a course.
I'm sure they're many pharm students on this forum that received some B grades in their prereq courses.

I don't retake B's, but many students do. You will be suprised what students will do to stay competitive.

well, i had few As some Bs and some Cs, ...
I was just wondering since two years has passed, if it will be a good idea to restart everything from the scratch. I just want to relearn everything if opportunity is given.
I just need some guidance as to where to start. As far as I 've read, there's no one in this forum who's completed pre pharm requirements and thought of doing post bac again. So I am just little concerned that if this is even an option for me.

thanks everyone for your advices :)

I graduated from undergrad in 2005. I applied to Pharmacy school that year and did not get in. I retook the PCAT and a couple of classes that I needed to apply to some schools I didn't apply to in 2005 and I applied again this year and was accepted to 3 programs! I will start Pharmacy School in August.

I have been out of school for 3 years. If I can do it you can. I say go for it! Study hard for the PCAT, retake a couple of classes that you made C's in, and apply early and apply to several programs. If it is what you want to do don't let being out of school for a couple of years stop you. Good luck! :)

thanks so much for encouragements. I was sort of discouraged by the whole situation. and Congratulations on your success!!! :thumbup: