I need some suggestions/advice on how overcome feeling queasy.. ! HelP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diane House

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey. I really wanna be a doctor. 5 yrs ago I was accepted in med school but dropped out in a month . I was 17 and was very far from home, plus i thought i couldn´t handle the first autopsy..
Well, now I'm a elementary teacher. Im 22 and I still want to be a doctor, since I was a kid I wanted this.

the only problem is that I'm afraid that the same thing happens again. about the disections, I'm not that squeamish with blood. but cutting a body open and inserting needles makes me feel queasy :S. I heard it just takes some time to get over it. I dont want this to keep me from my dream.

I watched this and i still felt that ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmpyVVgi2I&feature=related

Does it help to watch videos? any advice?
Im going to apply next semester so I want you to tell me anything that may be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pre-med student, and i would have to say that you should do what you think is destined for you. Sounds very cheesy, but it's true. You're very luck that you actually want to go into medicine. As for me, i was forced into it since my family came from different rays of medicine. The whole poking people with needles, don;t worry about it. It's mostly the RN's who do that. Dissection on the other hand, you'll get used to it. I remember when we had open up a cadaver to check out that parathyroid. It was horrendous!! But, you'll get used to it. Pursue your passion dude =)

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that two posters in here have just 1 post to their name...

:troll:

Haha, aside from the million other tells of the high school TROLL. 17 and in med school... yet considers anatomy class to be performing on autopsy. I didn't realize the point of anatomy class was to find the cause of death LOL.

Haha, aside from the million other tells of the high school TROLL. 17 and in med school... yet considers anatomy class to be performing on autopsy. I didn't realize the point of anatomy class was to find the cause of death LOL.

Maybe OP is in one of the many countries where students enter med school immediately after high school?

Must... extend.... knowledge... of .... world... M...b...b....s:thumbup:

OP, at 22-years-old, you're older, more mature, and can put things in perspective. After viewing the video maultiple times, why not visit an anatomy lab at a local university, with permission. See if things go better for you. Bring a bucket, just in case. Don't eat breakfast. Consider taking Human Anatomy as a class. It is cheaper to drop out of a single class than to forgo a semester's tuition at a med school.

I'm really squeamish. First time I shadowed a surgeon, I didn't eat the night before, took 12.5 mg of promethazine to reduce the rest of the nausea (Dramamine doesn't work on me), then wouldn't eat for a day after.

I'm really squeamish. First time I shadowed a surgeon, I didn't eat the night before, took 12.5 mg of promethazine to reduce the rest of the nausea (Dramamine doesn't work on me), then wouldn't eat for a day after.

Groggy with low blood sugar... how'd that work out for you? ;)

I am much more likely to faint than to vomit, so this would be a recipe for disaster for me.

Why not ask people in your medical school class?...refer to avatar.

Maybe OP is in one of the many countries where students enter med school immediately after high school?

EXACTLY!! :)

actually I was 16 but in in the 2nd week of med school i turned 17 ..

I know in the Us people usually goes to med school after some undergrad or something like that, but here the only thing u need is a high school diploma and of course all the admission process

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not that stupid u know. The fact that you don't know something doesn't mean everyone else is the same

I am a pre-med student, and i would have to say that you should do what you think is destined for you. Sounds very cheesy, but it's true. You're very luck that you actually want to go into medicine. As for me, i was forced into it since my family came from different rays of medicine. The whole poking people with needles, don;t worry about it. It's mostly the RN's who do that. Dissection on the other hand, you'll get used to it. I remember when we had open up a cadaver to check out that parathyroid. It was horrendous!! But, you'll get used to it. Pursue your passion dude =)
:) thanks for your reply

OP, at 22-years-old, you're older, more mature, and can put things in perspective. After viewing the video maultiple times, why not visit an anatomy lab at a local university, with permission. See if things go better for you. Bring a bucket, just in case. Don't eat breakfast. Consider taking Human Anatomy as a class. It is cheaper to drop out of a single class than to forgo a semester's tuition at a med school.

Thank u, I'm going to try what u said. I hope I wont need the bucket lol

Groggy with low blood sugar... how'd that work out for you? ;)

Actually it went really well. I didn't pass out, vomit, or anything like that. 12.5 mg promethazine doesn't knock me out just kills most of my nausea, it takes 25 mg to put me out. :) That is exactly why I took the dose I did. I learned a lot during those 2.5 hours although I was terrified of passing out.

Last Thursday, my second time in the OR, I was able to eat the night before and ate a few hours after surgery and I didn't cheat by taking the promethazine and I only looked away twice. The surgeon was really proud of me because I tolerated more than he thought I would.

I've got to say, this thread was really helpful...I'm heading to medical school in the Fall and the only time i've ever walked into an anatomy lab I had to step out and sit down twice. I've been petrified to even tell other students that I'm queasy. It's nice to know that others out there feel my pain =)

I've got to say, this thread was really helpful...I'm heading to medical school in the Fall and the only time i've ever walked into an anatomy lab I had to step out and sit down twice. I've been petrified to even tell other students that I'm queasy. It's nice to know that others out there feel my pain =)

We here at SDN are here to please or label you a troll. It's just what we do

Actually it went really well. I didn't pass out, vomit, or anything like that. 12.5 mg promethazine doesn't knock me out just kills most of my nausea, it takes 25 mg to put me out. :) That is exactly why I took the dose I did. I learned a lot during those 2.5 hours although I was terrified of passing out.

Last Thursday, my second time in the OR, I was able to eat the night before and ate a few hours after surgery and I didn't cheat by taking the promethazine and I only looked away twice. The surgeon was really proud of me because I tolerated more than he thought I would.

This is the worst for me now, I passed out one time in the OR last year for no apparent reason and now I'm terrified it's going to happen again sometime because I really don't know why it happened in the first place! I'd eaten, I wasn't squeamish (I've assisted on surgeries on a surgical mission trip for gosh sakes), it wasn't hot in there or anything. I mean, what other reason is there to pass out? Ugh

I mean, what other reason is there to pass out?

Did you speak to your doctor about what happened? It's possible that it had nothing to do with heat, food, or being squeamish (or not) in the OR. Could have been a transient heart issue, some type of electrolyte imbalance, hormone fluctuations, lack of sleep or heck any number of other things.

Talk to your doctor, see if he has an explanation. Then take as many precautions as you can to stop yourself from fainting and then try to make your way back to the OR again.

Did you speak to your doctor about what happened? It's possible that it had nothing to do with heat, food, or being squeamish (or not) in the OR. Could have been a transient heart issue, some type of electrolyte imbalance, hormone fluctuations, lack of sleep or heck any number of other things.

Talk to your doctor, see if he has an explanation. Then take as many precautions as you can to stop yourself from fainting and then try to make your way back to the OR again.

Yeah, my doc did several tests but there isn't anything wrong with me, so we talked for a while and now I'm on a low dose anti-anxiety med that seem to be working well. Although it was the first time I actually passed out, I've felt like I was going to pass out several other random times when nothing seemed wrong, it just like comes on all the sudden (every other time though, I happened to have somewhere to sit down immediately, but that isn't always possible in an OR). I haven't had an episode like this happen since, so I guess we'll find out for sure when I start shadowing a general surgeon next week again :D

An excellent point for someone considering medical school. That is the primary reason I took human anatomy this past year. Better to know well ahead what you are comfortable with.

Also good advice for any HS pre-med students when choosing undergraduate schools, check to make sure they are using human cadavers.

i dunno, but i thought that video was awesome! checked some of the others also... very cool

I'm not normally affected by blood and guts, but a few weeks ago I went syncopal while watching my 4th bedside chest tube insertion. I was watching from the other side of the bed so i was leaning forward, legs locked (a big no-no), and I stopped consciously breathing deep breaths (another no-no), had been running for 48hrs with only 6hrs of sleep, been on my feet for 16hrs, and had not had any food or water for 6 hours. It was a perfect storm for passing out.

Somehow I was managing to stay up until the resident stuck the tube in and a HUGE amount of blood came rushing out all and pooled up under the patient in a pocket of sterile dressing. I started thinking about how it looked like Kool-aid and how there was sooo much of it. I steped out and sat at the nurses station and blacked out for approx. 45 secs, got up and got some water, and walked back in to watch the doctor do a central line.

Feeling queasy happens to a lot of people, but you just gotta keep at it. If you get knocked down you've gotta get back up on the horse. :thumbup:

My biggest advice; eat something before you watch anything nasty. Seems like it is the opposite of what you should do, but it works.