I need some suggestions for reapply. Please come in and leave your comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smart H20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First, I wanna congratulate to those who are accepted by dental schools for class 2014.

So, finally I need to face the reality even though I dont want to talk about it and dont want to believe it. I applied for 20 schools this year and had 0 interviews and was rejections by all of the schools. Well, for me, this year is a bad year really and not only because I didnt get success on the applications, but also hurt my confidence for this coming cycle. I am scared about if the same thing would happen again would I even have the courage to face it.

MY DAT:
gchem 18
ochem 20
biology 18
math 17
pat 17
reading 14

GPA( current) 3.005

total 4 C's, two in gchem, 1 in upper division biology lab and 1 in physic 2C

total 1 D. in lower division biology

B &B- more than A&A- in my college career

2A's in ochem, B- in ochem lab.

SO, I am planning to retake DAT in this summer and try to reapply for next year. I have been doing research in a cell biology lab for a year and 3 years shadowing with a dentist. Volunteering in my church over 1.5 years.

Based on all the information I wrote, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I really do not want to give up on dental schools. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Your AA is 17 (right?) and your TS, I am guessing is 18-19. With a 3.0 GPA and I am guessing your science GPA is around there (right?)

I believe all these numbers are below the national average for those who get accepted. But thats not whats hurting you entirely... I think its that 14 in RC. You see, many schools think very religiously about reading comprehension (for reasons that I personally don't agree with) and a 14 in that section, Im sorry to say, is a death sentence

I think your on the right track, retaking the DAT can only improve your chances.

Question, how early did you apply last cycle?

In the early of June. my AA is 17 and TS is 18. My overall GPA is 3.005 and science is 2.9. Do you think if I retake the DAT and get better grades, then I will have a better shot even though my GPA is like 3.0?

Your AA is 17 (right?) and your TS, I am guessing is 18-19. With a 3.0 GPA and I am guessing your science GPA is around there (right?)

I believe all these numbers are below the national average for those who get accepted. But thats not whats hurting you entirely... I think its that 14 in RC. You see, many schools think very religiously about reading comprehension (for reasons that I personally don't agree with) and a 14 in that section, Im sorry to say, is a death sentence

I think your on the right track, retaking the DAT can only improve your chances.

Question, how early did you apply last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can always bring it up by doing post-bacc or master's.

If you can, take some upper level science courses at your local university, and definitely retake your DAT. Shoot for 20+ AA.

you can always bring it up by doing post-bacc or master's.

I will start my MASTER in this Fall( Hopefully if my GPA is still above 3.0) and I dont know if research really important for dental schools? I know it does for medical schools. How important doing a master is for dental schools?

research and good grades are both a plus, though i don't think anyone can say how much each is valued due to us not being adcom.

try to get both as high as possible~

You probably don't need any more shadowing hours. 100 hours is plenty.

I would focus on your DAT and your postbac/master's GPA. Your scores are on the low side, especially RC.

In my opinion, RC is probably one of the most important scores after Bio, so you really need to improve on that. You can get by with a low QR score, but not RC.

Schools will look at your scores and think you cannot handle their curriculum so you need to prove to them you CAN handle it---IE awesome DAT score :] Good luck.

Your RC score of 14 alone could have got you rejected from all 20 schools. Study hard and re-take the DAT. Aim for 20+.

In the early of June. my AA is 17 and TS is 18. My overall GPA is 3.005 and science is 2.9. Do you think if I retake the DAT and get better grades, then I will have a better shot even though my GPA is like 3.0?

I will start my MASTER in this Fall( Hopefully if my GPA is still above 3.0) and I dont know if research really important for dental schools? I know it does for medical schools. How important doing a master is for dental schools?

you can do masters (biology based masters of course), but IMO I prefer post-bacc. Do post-bacc for the next 1-2 years, take a bunch of upper level biology courses (microbiology, biochemistry, physiology, histology, pharmacology, immunology, etc etc).... but let me be the first to warn you, those classes are not easy, if you were getting C's in just 100-level biologies, you need to re-adjust how you study cause these classes are quite a bit harder

you can do masters (biology based masters of course), but IMO I prefer post-bacc. Do post-bacc for the next 1-2 years, take a bunch of upper level biology courses (microbiology, biochemistry, physiology, histology, pharmacology, immunology, etc etc).... but let me be the first to warn you, those classes are not easy, if you were getting C's in just 100-level biologies, you need to re-adjust how you study cause these classes are quite a bit harder

Hey, thx for your reply. do you know which school have dental postbacc program? besides ucsf? thank you.

Along the lines of the RC score, you may want to have someone read through your personal statement, as well, to correct for grammar issues. I'm assuming English isn't your first language? No offense, because I am not nearly as fluent in my secondary language, but your grammar seems to be a bit off based on these posts. You may honestly take some upper level reading/writing English courses to improve that RC score which is really the killer on your application.

much like OP, i have a low cGPA and some Cs on my transcript in pre reqs. Do these need to be retaken? or does the post- bacc a few posters have recommended kinda of influence more.

Just wodnering, are there any school that do not require a C or better in the pre req courses?

Hey, thx for your reply. do you know which school have dental postbacc program? besides ucsf? thank you.

much like OP, i have a low cGPA and some Cs on my transcript in pre reqs. Do these need to be retaken? or does the post- bacc a few posters have recommended kinda of influence more.

Just wodnering, are there any school that do not require a C or better in the pre req courses?

as for schools that offer post-bacc, I know there are a few that do that, but I went a head with the informal route. Just joined up at a university and started taking classes. I liked the informal route cause you get to design your class schedule accordingly so that you can match it up with your fulltime job.

As for retaking courses, I believe you only need to retake if you got a grade lower than a C (say C- and lower). I am strickly talking about pre-dental courses like your general biologies, chemistries, english, physics, and such

Hello all,

First, I wanna congratulate to those who are accepted by dental schools for class 2014.

So, finally I need to face the reality even though I dont want to talk about it and dont want to believe it. I applied for 20 schools this year and had 0 interviews and was rejections by all of the schools. Well, for me, this year is a bad year really and not only because I didnt get success on the applications, but also hurt my confidence for this coming cycle. I am scared about if the same thing would happen again would I even have the courage to face it.

MY DAT:
gchem 18
ochem 20
biology 18
math 17
pat 17
reading 14

GPA( current) 3.005

total 4 C's, two in gchem, 1 in upper division biology lab and 1 in physic 2C

total 1 D. in lower division biology

B &B- more than A&A- in my college career

2A's in ochem, B- in ochem lab.

SO, I am planning to retake DAT in this summer and try to reapply for next year. I have been doing research in a cell biology lab for a year and 3 years shadowing with a dentist. Volunteering in my church over 1.5 years.

Based on all the information I wrote, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I really do not want to give up on dental schools. Thank You.

I am reapplying and planning to do a post-bacc and retake DAT. Do you have a state school (dental)? If yes, try to talk to the dean of admissions and see if they are willing to lay out a plan for you. Good luck:thumbup: