I need someone to tell me it's going to be OK.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently a sophomore in undergrad with a pretty terrible 3 semesters under my belt.

I came into university wanting to be a doctor, but applied to the engineering school on a whim. Ended up getting in, hating it, transferring to computer science, again hating it, all the while doing pretty terribly in my classes. I went to a Health Careers-oriented high school. I have experience with doctors, hospitals, medical procedures and I know that I have a passion for medicine, but I'm terrified about my ability to make a comeback and get into medical school.

While I did have a significant medical issue during my first semester and suffered pretty heavy depression up until fairly recently, the main reason I've done so poorly in my classes is general laziness and apathy. I'm worried that even if I'm able to bring my GPA back from its disastrous state, I won't be able to adequately explain my first three semesters in a med school interview without saying that I was lazy and unmotivated. I have no good excuse for it.

The good news is that I haven't taken any premed courses, so while my overall GPA is hurting, my science-specific GPA hasn't really been created yet. I know that I have the ability to perform in my classes, it's just down to finding the motivation.

My GPA after this semester will be about a 2.1. That's with 36 hours of coursework. I've figured that straight As from here to the end of my college career (100 hours with a 4.0) can bring my GPA up to around a 3.5 maximum. I know how unlikely that is, especially since my university grades on a +/- scale (which seems like it can only hurt students that strive for straight As), but I'm committed to trying.

But even then, I've just put myself at an average GPA for med school applicants, right? Most people's transcripts won't show 3 semesters of appalling grades. And I'm terrified that I might devote the next 3 or 4 years of my life to improving my GPA and then surprise myself with a 20 on the MCAT that effectively nullifies all the work I put in.

I've spoken to my academic advisor and he's mentioned doing a graduate degree or post-bacc coursework to improve my chances of admission. I know that there are routes I can go down after university that can ultimately give me a good shot at medical school. I'm just feeling like a real fk-up at the moment, and I need some sort of reassurance that my situation is not completely hopeless. Being a doctor is what I want to do, and I'm willing to put in the work/time. It's really daunting, though, to think that I've already messed up so much that even one slip-up in the next 3-4 years can mean a lot of terrible things.

It felt good to write this stuff out. I don't really know what I'm looking for from you guys. I've considered just deleting all of this, but I figure if I've written this much I might as well post it and see what follows. Maybe somebody can offer some advice or encouragement? Or just tell me I'm screwed and to look at pursuing another profession.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll never know until you try. I say take a few science prereqs. If your interest is there and you are motivated to learn more, then worry about the long road ahead.

You've identified your problem (being lazy and unmotivated) and I think that's half the battle. If you really want to become a doctor as bad as you say you do, you will inevitably push yourself to work harder to reach your goals. 3 terrible semesters is not a death sentence in the grand scheme of things. You're just a sophomore so that means you're not even half way through your college career yet. There is plenty of time to recover. Work hard and you'll be fine. In fact, if you turn this around, it will make for a pretty interesting story on your personal statement and secondaries. It'll show personal growth and more importantly resiliency.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can indeed ace everything else from now on, there is indeed hope. The vaunted upward trend with the overcoming of obstacles can sometimes be more compelling a story than your avg Grade , 4.0 robot.

Even with a 4.0 from now on, a strong post-back or SMP can show AdComs that you can indeed handle medical school. With a strong MCAT, there are a number of med schools that believe in reinvention.

Just be sure to get your depression under control first!!

Reactions: 1 user
Your situation is not completely hopeless. It is never too late to turn things around. There are many people who are career changers, who realize their passion for medicine later in life, and then give up their careers to start medical school when they are in their 30's, 40's, etc. Keep up the fight, and keep trying, if this is what you're passionate about, and if this is what you want.

You've only taken 36 credits and none of them are science classes. It's not even close to being over yet. Tons of people mess up initially in college or don't figure out what career is for them until later. Get your depression under control and start making a comeback. Just understand that there is less room for error at this point. Also, be aware that DO schools allow grade replacement which could prove very useful for someone in your situation. I'm typically a pretty realistic person and don't advocate blind optimism, but your situation can be remedied with hard work.

So, I'm currently a sophomore in undergrad with a pretty terrible 3 semesters under my belt.

I came into university wanting to be a doctor, but applied to the engineering school on a whim. Ended up getting in, hating it, transferring to computer science, again hating it, all the while doing pretty terribly in my classes. I went to a Health Careers-oriented high school. I have experience with doctors, hospitals, medical procedures and I know that I have a passion for medicine, but I'm terrified about my ability to make a comeback and get into medical school.

While I did have a significant medical issue during my first semester and suffered pretty heavy depression up until fairly recently, the main reason I've done so poorly in my classes is general laziness and apathy. I'm worried that even if I'm able to bring my GPA back from its disastrous state, I won't be able to adequately explain my first three semesters in a med school interview without saying that I was lazy and unmotivated. I have no good excuse for it.

The good news is that I haven't taken any premed courses, so while my overall GPA is hurting, my science-specific GPA hasn't really been created yet. I know that I have the ability to perform in my classes, it's just down to finding the motivation.

My GPA after this semester will be about a 2.1. That's with 36 hours of coursework. I've figured that straight As from here to the end of my college career (100 hours with a 4.0) can bring my GPA up to around a 3.5 maximum. I know how unlikely that is, especially since my university grades on a +/- scale (which seems like it can only hurt students that strive for straight As), but I'm committed to trying.

But even then, I've just put myself at an average GPA for med school applicants, right? Most people's transcripts won't show 3 semesters of appalling grades. And I'm terrified that I might devote the next 3 or 4 years of my life to improving my GPA and then surprise myself with a 20 on the MCAT that effectively nullifies all the work I put in.

I've spoken to my academic advisor and he's mentioned doing a graduate degree or post-bacc coursework to improve my chances of admission. I know that there are routes I can go down after university that can ultimately give me a good shot at medical school. I'm just feeling like a real fk-up at the moment, and I need some sort of reassurance that my situation is not completely hopeless. Being a doctor is what I want to do, and I'm willing to put in the work/time. It's really daunting, though, to think that I've already messed up so much that even one slip-up in the next 3-4 years can mean a lot of terrible things.

It felt good to write this stuff out. I don't really know what I'm looking for from you guys. I've considered just deleting all of this, but I figure if I've written this much I might as well post it and see what follows. Maybe somebody can offer some advice or encouragement? Or just tell me I'm screwed and to look at pursuing another profession.

It's going to be ok

Reactions: 1 user
Get your GPA up over the next two years and do a post-bac degree to bring it up more, you can do it if you stop your lazy habits and get your act together. You are only 20ish, as cliche as it sounds, nothing is too late if you just do it.

During the summer I studied and took the MCAT, I often went to the library at the local university. I talked to a girl a few times who was still at the school tutoring. She had started college as a business major but decided sometime during her the end of her sophomore year she wanted to be a doctor. She was a poor student in high school, and in the business school, joked a lot about it. She stayed in school for three more years, manged to get her GPA into the 3.0-3.5 range and score alright on her MCAT (29, same as me ;)). She had been accepted at a number of medical schools (applied D.O. only).

I think there are a number of schools out there who are looking for smart and compassionate people who want to become doctors, they will look past a couple of poor years. However, I think proving these three things is crucial in order to make up for it. You're at a disadvantage, but if this is what you wish to do and you want bad enough, I wouldn't let a few bad semester hold me back from pursuing a dream.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. It does mean a lot.

That anecdote just above this post by frenz is especially encouraging. I'm not opposed to going to a D.O. school if that's the most realistic option. I hope I can be a similar success story.

It'll be okay, but - and that's a big but - you have to understand that you have to make a lot of sacrifices from here on out. It's gonna be a long road ahead, and don't underestimate how much effort you're going to have to put in. You CAN do this, if you want it bad enough.

You are not a "f-ck up," and your situation is not hopeless!! you are so early in your career as an undergraduate, and since you havent even taken any science courses, you are starting out with more or less a clean slate (for the science gpa at least) and thats the one that matters the most. you have time to turn this thing around, and just through reading what you have you written, I know you can do this. and dont worry about your MCAT score, if you really give your science classes your all, you will not be making a 20; I can assure you. You have enough self-awareness to recognize that you have fallen slightly offtrack in the past, but the light at the end of the tunnel of this situation is that you have the time and seemingly the willpower to change this situation and recreate yourself into the med school applicant that you want to be. If you truly believe medicine is your passion, I think you should go for it! Don't give up on yourself.

It is going to be okay. Hope that helps.

It's going to be ok. Thinking about a post-bacc or the like is way too premature at this point- just ace your prereqs, get advanced classes under your belt, tear the MCAT a new one, and your stats will shine. Add in the volunteering, shadowing, and a little research when your head is completely clear of that nasty depression, and you will be more than fine- you'll be downright competitive.

But fully understand- laziness is never going to get you further than the wishful thinking stage. With this dream, you have to go hard or go elsewhere.

There is someone in the DO forums that had 20 or so F and W grades on their transcript and at age 30 retook every single one and made As and has DO school acceptances right now. There is always hope if you set your mind to it and are completely dedicated.