I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!!!! 3.10 gpa 24o mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD: virtually no chance. sorry. what's your state of res? might have a chance at a state school, albeit slim at best.

D.O.: possible. apply to these

I live in California so that doesn't really help me in any way at all.
Do you think I still have a fair shot at D.O. schools?
What would be some drawbacks of going D.O.? If there are any?

Members don't see this ad :)
um I guess some people say there is less "prestige" to being a DO, but this stigma is diminishing and it really is not true. I can't think of many drawbacks. you'll be a doctor when you graduate, end of story!

That Verbal score is a red flag for sure. The other two scores aren't anything to write home about either...

Most medical schools have a 3.0 cutoff, so you're barely making the cut there.

If I was you, I'd take a year or two off for some GPA repair and to retake the MCAT. GPA repair is much easier if you intend to go the DO route. The only detriment to that is that you have less of a chance to getting into competitive specialties.

You could apply to bottom-tier DO schools, or the Carribean(not recommended, residencies will be nearly impossible to match to), but you would have a much better shot if you waited a cycle or two and buffed your application up.

I wish you the best of luck regardless of what you choose to do.

apply broadly and widely you will get a few interviews i think

just watch out for regionally biased ones

as the others said. MD no chance. DO very slim. If I were you, I would take another year to retake science courses you did bad in and retake the MCAT. If you do that, then DO will def be in within reach.

I think I'll apply to all D.O. schools and see what happens. I'm planning on studying and retaking the MCAT in the meantime. It's funny because I've been consistently getting 11s and 10s on PS and BS but somehow ended up with a 9 on both sections on the real thing....

Hey guys
My stats are as follows

GPA: For M.D.:3.02 For D.O.:3.10
MCAT: 24O PS-9 V-6 BS-9 (non-native English speaker)
Good extracurricular activities(volunteering, research, etc.)
Good letter of rec

What are my chances?
Since the chance of getting into the U.S. schools is pretty slim, I'm even considering going abroad(Australia, New Zealand, Caribean). But I just wanted to hear from you guys and see if there are any other options I might not be aware of.

Thanks!

I think I'll apply to all D.O. schools and see what happens. I'm planning on studying and retaking the MCAT in the meantime. It's funny because I've been consistently getting 11s and 10s on PS and BS but somehow ended up with a 9 on both sections on the real thing....

The difference between a 9 and a 10 is only a few questions. Same for a 10 and 11. There's definitely something magical about seeing all double digit scores, but a 9 and 10 statistically aren't very different.

Do some research on DO schools before you throw your money away. Here's why:
Some require biochem.
Some require a DO LOR.
Some have GPA cutoffs.
Some have ridiculous OOS tuition (MSUCOM).
Some have stupid post-grad requirements (OUCOM).

The main downside to DO is the lack of good residency programs compared to MD.

I think you should take a year off and improve your GPA. I did 30 credits in 1 year and improved my science gpa from a 2.65 to a 3.22.

i think your stats are borderline for the least selective DO schools. DO schools allow grade replacement if you retake a course so you should probably retake courses you did especially poorly in to try and maximize your GPA. Retaking the MCAT is a quicker fix if you can get the score up ~4-5 points.

i would say do a search to explore the drawbacks of going DO but those threads tend to have tons of misinformation, flaming and trolling so i'll give you a quick rundown:
1. "stigma" as someone mentioned, though this is the least important
2. very variable clinical experience as the governing board is not as stringent as the LCME which accredits US MD schools
3. have to take two board exams instead of one if you want to match into an MD residency
4. the top residency programs in most fields do not even consider DO applicants

I'm so lost. I really didn't want to take a year off but it seems that's what everyone else's suggesting.
FML...seriously...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so lost. I really didn't want to take a year off but it seems that's what everyone else's suggesting.
FML...seriously...

You can apply this year and hope for the best. If you don't get in you'll be doing the same thing next year as you would be if you didn't apply.

Would it be worth to retake in July-August-September and still submit the application for this cycle?

Would it be worth to retake in July-August-September and still submit the application for this cycle?

i would say no, chances are that isnt enough time to get FULLY prepared to the BEST of your ability for the MCAT. Taking a year off isnt such a bad thing. get a job and make some money, take some time off school, study study study for the MCAT and crush it this time!!! no sense in rushing for the sake of rushing, it will only come back to bite you in the @$$ if you ask me

Your application will not receive immediate consideration if you put on it that you are planning to retake. It will just put it on hold until your new score comes out. If you want them to review your complete app right away, don't mark that you are retaking. And I actually like your approach; best to apply broadly!

Your application will not receive immediate consideration if you put on it that you are planning to retake. It will just put it on hold until your new score comes out. If you want them to review your complete app right away, don't mark that you are retaking. And I actually like your approach; best to apply broadly!

I could either:

1. Just submit my application right now

or

2. Retake in August or September and submit the application with a better score in September or October. I've been getting 11s and 10s on both PS and BS but verbal is the only section that's keeping me from getting near 30. But applying so late in the application cycle might put me at a significant disadvantage.

Which do you think is the better option?

As a CA resident you're probably fine for Touro-Cal and Nev, and pretty much many of the others (including mine, although you're on the low end of acceptable) but no chance at any of the MD schools.

Sugest you start doing your homework now.

Your application is like someone with a 3.4999 and 29 mcat trying out for a state MD school. It is in the "acceptable range" but to the low end. If you are not planning to do any courses during application cycle..then if your EC's are above averages, great personal statements, great interview skills and a little bit luck...you can be accepted in some DO schools.

Ok-I think I'll submit it now but study for a retake later in summer in the meantime.

That Verbal score is a red flag for sure. The other two scores aren't anything to write home about either...

You could apply to bottom-tier DO schools, or the Carribean(not recommended, residencies will be nearly impossible to match to), but you would have a much better shot if you waited a cycle or two and buffed your application up.

I wish you the best of luck regardless of what you choose to do.

Why make remarks about what you don't know about? The Big 4 Caribbean schools match most of their graduates to US residencies.

s (including mine said:
If you dont mind me asking, could you tell what school you go to? Thanks,

If you dont mind me asking, could you tell what school you go to? Thanks,

I believe Goro is an adcom, so he probably won't want to out himself. With that being said, I would take his advice and start researching D.O schools for ones that fit your numbers/goals/location.

So you guys wouldn't even recommend applying to the Big 4 Caribbean schools??
I heard they have a relatively good matching program, although it may not be as good as that of MD and DO schools back in the states.
Please feel free to chime in!

So you guys wouldn't even recommend applying to the Big 4 Caribbean schools??
I heard they have a relatively good matching program, although it may not be as good as that of MD and DO schools back in the states.
Please feel free to chime in!
Dont go to carib... You might have a shot at the new DO schools. Also, you can retake the mcat and aim for 28+, then you will have a fair shot.

I believe Goro is an adcom, so he probably won't want to out himself. With that being said, I would take his advice and start researching D.O schools for ones that fit your numbers/goals/location.

I can understand, thanks,

I have the following schools down for which I have already applied:
AT still,
Alabama
Midwestern (both Chicago, and Arizona,
Lake EErie,
Michigan,
Ohio
Pikeville
KCMBU
UMDNJ

with the stats the OP had, (i have similar i think), would you all recommend any additional schools to this.

I couldnt find any good info regarding Western Pomona, like school size, and residency placements.

I dont want to be at a school that is really small, one building big. Although I have applied, I am planning to complete MPH, and start another Bachelors if I dont get in this semester.

Dude here's the Caribbean shake down, not the one their reps or website tells you (oh and isn't it funny how only Caribbean schools advertise?)

50% attrition rate after MS1
50% passing rate on step 1
49.1% matching rate based on 2011 NRMP numbers
So your chances of making it from start to residency at a Caribbean school are 1 in 8 at best.

Have fun with that.

The Caribbean is a money pit designed to draw in hopeful premeds bent on the "dream". It's crazy expensive and they don't care if you drop out. That's why they have 50% attrition after year one. Do you see any US MD or DO schools with those numbers? Not even close

LECOM advertises too for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Ok- So no Caribbean schools I suppose.
One more question though-
Would it be too late to submit my application in September or October after retaking the MCAT?
Does applying that late put me at a significant disadvantage like people say it does? If it's true, then that would mean I would have to wait for another year....

Considering secondaries come out in the beginning of July, yeah that's super late. Medical schools have rolling admissions. If you don't submit until September, you will be verified after people are already going to interviews...bad situation

Maybe then it would be wise to spend the next 6 months studying and take the January MCAT to give myself as much time as possible?

Maybe then it would be wise to spend the next 6 months studying and take the January MCAT to give myself as much time as possible?

or you could just apply broadly now and be studying for a January/Spring retake should your cycle not bear fruit (but don't mark the retake on your app unless you want it on hold until then!). I would definitely add more schools to your list though. Apply to all the ATSU and LECOM campuses, WV, Touro-CA, Touro-NY, PNWU, WCU, COMP-NW, PCOM's as well as all three new schools. I think Touro-NV requires a 25, so don't bother there.

Last edited:
That might be a good course of action. I would apply this cycle anyway if I were in your position and get prepared for next cycle if no acceptances come to your doors.

Ok- I have a question though.
According to this data table,

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf

people with below 27 MCAT and 2.5-3.3 GPA still have anywhere between 5%-17% chance of getting accepted to MD schools. How do you make sense of this?????

under represented minorities, and I dont know about this but I think AAMC takes undergraduate GPA separately right, so there might be applicants that did horrible during undergrad, but had marvelous stats for grad school when they applied!
Just a thought

under represented minorities, and I dont know about this but I think AAMC takes undergraduate GPA separately right, so there might be applicants that did horrible during undergrad, but had marvelous stats for grad school when they applied!
Just a thought

There are many people I know who have parents and legacy family wealthy enough that MCAT scores and GPA aren't really of any concern (granted they aren't walking in the door with 2.0's and 19's), but I have a friend starting at an Ivy next year with a 2.8 undergrad GPA and 26 MCAT. He is not a URM. :eek:

There are many people I know who have parents and legacy family wealthy enough that MCAT scores and GPA aren't really of any concern (granted they aren't walking in the door with 2.0's and 19's), but I have a friend starting at an Ivy next year with a 2.8 undergrad GPA and 26 MCAT. He is not a URM. :eek:

You are lying or you have been lied to. Which school is that considering every top 20 school has a minimum 3.0 requirement.

Stupid troll

They're called "specials" or "legacies". They get in because:
parents are potential BIG donors to the school
applicant is related to someone on AdCom
applicant is related to Dean, or friend of Dean
applicant has some other special lure for the school, like an Orthodox Jew for the TUCOMs
applicant is related to, or friends of current student or alumni
Applicant has something really outstanding in background, like being in military and having good GPA OR MCAT, but not both.

Hopefully someone will save this in a sticky.

Ok- I have a question though.
According to this data table,

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf

people with below 27 MCAT and 2.5-3.3 GPA still have anywhere between 5%-17% chance of getting accepted to MD schools. How do you make sense of this?????

Last edited:
Would medical schools consider the fact I didn't start learning English until I was 12 years old?
I'm confident that I'll be able to bring my science scores up by a few points but I'm not sure what to do about my disastrous verbal score.

Last edited:
There are lots of non native speakers who do better than a 6 on verbal, so that excuse doesn't seem to follow. Plus, you've been in the country speaking the language for 10+ years so I really doubt you'll get much of a pass