I optometry still a good idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is optometry still a good career choice? I have been reading a lot of negative things about optometry and how it's a dying profession and now I am worried about my choice to go to optometry school this fall. The optometry offices that I have shadowed at always seemed busy, but I have read that a lot of optometrist don't have enough clients. I'm worried about spending a lot of money on optometry school and then not being able to pay it back.

Members don't see this ad.

Is optometry still a good career choice?
It can be. Just way more difficult than in the past.
I have been reading a lot of negative things about optometry and how it's a dying profession and now I am worried about my choice to go to optometry school this fall.
Many factors that make it less attractive. Flat income levels, decreasing insurance reimbursement, and above all: Unnecessary new schools opening and flooding the market with new grads despite all studies showing an oversupply of providers.
I'm worried about spending a lot of money on optometry school and then not being able to pay it back
A very real concern.

Unless you are inheriting a practice from a parent, or are independently wealthy and can pay for school without loans, it's a scary time to be in optometry school.
I still love optometry & make a great living, but am not pushing my kids to follow me.

Last edited:
Is optometry still a good career choice? I have been reading a lot of negative things about optometry and how it's a dying profession and now I am worried about my choice to go to optometry school this fall. The optometry offices that I have shadowed at always seemed busy, but I have read that a lot of optometrist don't have enough clients. I'm worried about spending a lot of money on optometry school and then not being able to pay it back.

According to the disillusioned Optometrists of SDN, the docs you've visited are really just suffering, making the appearance of success (eye roll).

However, I agree with optsuker. Cost of school is by far the biggest downside to entering Optometry right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The golden age is over, but I am confident this is not a profession that will become obsolete in our lifetime. I'm a relatively new grad, and I'm doing exceptionally well and am very pleased with my current affairs. As far as I know, all my classmates have jobs and are doing well. Nobody is hungry. You can always join the military or VA system to minimize your loans.

Reactions: 1 user
The golden age is over, but I am confident this is not a profession that will become obsolete in our lifetime. I'm a relatively new grad, and I'm doing exceptionally well and am very pleased with my current affairs. As far as I know, all my classmates have jobs and are doing well. Nobody is hungry. You can always join the military or VA system to minimize your loans.

You don't have to disclose actual numbers, but how are the salary ranges that you and your peers have seen? Making over 100K? Full time work?

Generally most full-time positions are 97k+ in the country (quoted by trusted industry consultant).

I would not advise going into optometry to anyone. I love my job, work as a GS-15 (unusually high grade for an opto) for Federal Government. Graduated from top school, completed Residency, and am a Fellow in American Academy of Optometry. Despite this, I make less than many RNs. I make about 1/3 to 1/4 of what a dentist makes. The government knows what our average civilian pay is, and this is reflected in our pay scale. Most people I went to school with have left the field entirely. The field is dead. Historically, most of our income was derived from the optical end. Now people go on line or to superstores for glasses or contacts. While in private practice, I paid more on shipping costs for uncut lenses than an entire online lens/frame package. People will take up HOURS of your staffs time, only to buy frame online. Sometimes they even have the nerve to ask for frame info, PD and set height before leaving. Many online companies buy frames from Docs going out of business (for approx. 10% of original cost) So when people see an on line retailer asking 1/4 your price, they just assume you are ripping them off. Insurance was the final death blow. $35-$65/exam. Sure, you can always bill through medical insurance. But there is not that much pathology in the private sector. You are going to have to commit massive insurance fraud to pay off that OCT, pachymeter, visual field machine and retinal camera. Over the last 25 years, everyone I have ever known in private practice who makes over $100 G/ year either works 7 days/week , commits outrageous insurance fraud or uses hard sell tactics. i.e.: telling a pt that if he did not fill his +0.25 -0.25 x 180 rx he would probably go blind. Or guilting a low income single mother that her 5 year old will suffer long term vision problems by not filling a +1.00 ou rx, with AR coating. Private practice is tough if you have any morals. I love working for the VA. But the hiring process for the VA or military can take up to a year! I have seen job offers redacted when unit funding fell through, several months after being offered position. Indian Health Service only takes about 4-6 months, but the pay / living conditions are pretty bad. I handle more Path in one day than I would see in an entire year in the private sector. But despite handling end-stage glaucoma, Proliferative diabetic retinopathy, wet ARMD I still make less than many healthcare professionals with a BS. For my entire working career, my BFF with a 3 year RN degree made Much more. No triple overtime for Optos. No overtime for working weekends- which is likely. Rarely any benefits. Don't even think of buying a practice. I know people who are still paying off a failed practice 10 years after closing. including paying unemployment insurance premiums for your former employees a year after you close. I had to pay unemployment insurance on an employee who quit after I caught him stealing! Seriously, private practice is a nightmare.
I would only rec. optometry for someone planning on joining military after completing a pathology residency.

What school did you go to and do you think it matters what school you graduate from? Also, how much dept did you have by the time you finished optometry school? What kind of optometry practice do you work at?

ICO; like I shared in your other posts, I think corporate recruiters will not care where you graduated from, but I think private practices or health centers would care.
I graduated with zero debt because I come from wealth.
I work in a hospital.

I just got back from a hospital union meeting, and I hear a lot from the clinical lab scientists of a growing need for national certified CLS's (the people who run labs on drawn samples). According to CSU SF, their entire program tuition is $14,500 for a 1.5 year post-bacc program. Starting salaries in the SF Bay Area average 70k.

I'm not sure how true this next statement is, but my classmates who worked at lenscrafters in 2014 in the SF Bay Area & Los Angeles Area said they started at high 80- low 90k.

$14,500 tuition for 1.5 years program versus $14,500/quarter x 4 quarters/year x 4 years of optometry school costs usually. That's crazy comparison! Also on their 9 months of clinical rotations, they get paid a stipend of $1000-2000 per month by their clinical affiliates, which would payback a huge amount, if not all, of their program tuition. On rotations in optometry school, you still owe $14,500/qtr despite doing free work. Add to that our current saturation issue versus their in-demand field. Sure it's comparing apples and oranges, but that sounds like a way better return on investment when you look at it financially, and both are healthcare field related jobs that require major life science pre-reqs.

Last edited:
It can be. Just way more difficult than in the past.
Many factors that make it less attractive. Flat income levels, decreasing insurance reimbursement, and above all: Unnecessary new schools opening and flooding the market with new grads despite all studies showing an oversupply of providers.
A very real concern.

Unless you are inheriting a practice from a parent, or are independently wealthy and can pay for school without loans, it's a scary time to be in optometry school.
I still love optometry & make a great living, but am not pushing my kids to follow me.

Just curious. Do foreign trained optometrists get to practice in the US by passing the board exams like it is happening in the medical field?

Just curious. Do foreign trained optometrists get to practice in the US by passing the board exams like it is happening in the medical field?
I don't think so.
Unless you're an Ausie, optometrist practice/training is vastly different.
Every one I've known needed had to attend a US opt. school. I think Canada has a more lax system for allowing international transfers.