I passed Naplex...so can you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacymonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I NEVER EVER post these types of things, but I really felt that this one is necessary for people like me who are reading all these posts and having panic attacks.

Basically I'm an average pharmacy student, meaning throughout pharmacy school I got good/decent grades but never was considered an "over-achiever." However, I studied for tests 3 days before the exam, and would forget everything I learned anyways after taking it lol.

Down to taking the naplex...I scheduled my naplex pretty early compared to the rest of my classmates. I studied for one week for about 5-6 hours a day. I never did ID, oncology, or HIV. I didn't even do half of the rxprep book, so trust me I was not confident at all. I did calculations the day before the exam, and was never able to finish all of them. I took the pre-naplex about 2-3 days before the exam and scored a 60 (depressing I know!) Would I recommend taking the pre-naplex to anyone? NO it's a waste of money and makes you feel pretty bad about yourself. It's much HARDER then the actual exam.

The day of naplex: I pretty much was so nervous that I just wanted to not show up. However, I was scared that I would have a problem re-scheduling since it's the day of the exam, and I didn't want to end up paying for it again. I walked in and my test started off with math (great -__-) but the questions weren't so bad. I had a lot of ID questions, which I had to guess since I didn't know anything about ID lol, and I could tell I was getting them wrong cause they wouldn't stop throwing ID at me.

Also I took the exam in approx. 3 hours because I was rushing that I would run out of time. I honestly don't see how people run out of time unless your reading each question twice or something. Most of the questions didn't even pertain to the case, so my advice would be to read the question first then see if you need the information in the case (esp. if your worried about time). Most of the time a lot more of the calculations pop up at the end (well at least they did for me) so you need time for them.

But anyways, after the exam I felt horrible. I thought I failed I knew I got a lot of stupid questions wrong. I felt like I rushed taking this exam, and all I worried about how I was going to tell my district manager that I would have to wait another 3 months to take the exam again. Finally, I got my results (which are online for my state) and I PASSED! I was sure there was no chance of me passing, but yet here I am!

For anyone out there with a similar circumstance to me, I hope I'm giving you that push to go for it! And btw, the whole myth about the "orange/grey" button isn't true. At least for people who get their results online.

Naplex score: 92

If anyone needs any other advice, I'm here :)
On to the next exam. . .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!

I NEVER EVER post these types of things, but I really felt that this one is necessary for people like me who are reading all these posts and having panic attacks.

Basically I'm an average pharmacy student, meaning throughout pharmacy school I got good/decent grades but never was considered an "over-achiever." However, I studied for tests 3 days before the exam, and would forget everything I learned anyways after taking it lol.

Down to taking the naplex...I scheduled my naplex pretty early compared to the rest of my classmates. I studied for one week for about 5-6 hours a day. I never did ID, oncology, or HIV. I didn't even do half of the rxprep book, so trust me I was not confident at all. I did calculations the day before the exam, and was never able to finish all of them. I took the pre-naplex about 2-3 days before the exam and scored a 60 (depressing I know!) Would I recommend taking the pre-naplex to anyone? NO it's a waste of money and makes you feel pretty bad about yourself. It's much HARDER then the actual exam.

The day of naplex: I pretty much was so nervous that I just wanted to not show up. However, I was scared that I would have a problem re-scheduling since it's the day of the exam, and I didn't want to end up paying for it again. I walked in and my test started off with math (great -__-) but the questions weren't so bad. I had a lot of ID questions, which I had to guess since I didn't know anything about ID lol, and I could tell I was getting them wrong cause they wouldn't stop throwing ID at me.

Also I took the exam in approx. 3 hours because I was rushing that I would run out of time. I honestly don't see how people run out of time unless your reading each question twice or something. Most of the questions didn't even pertain to the case, so my advice would be to read the question first then see if you need the information in the case (esp. if your worried about time). Most of the time a lot more of the calculations pop up at the end (well at least they did for me) so you need time for them.

But anyways, after the exam I felt horrible. I thought I failed I knew I got a lot of stupid questions wrong. I felt like I rushed taking this exam, and all I worried about how I was going to tell my district manager that I would have to wait another 3 months to take the exam again. Finally, I got my results (which are online for my state) and I PASSED! I was sure there was no chance of me passing, but yet here I am!

For anyone out there with a similar circumstance to me, I hope I'm giving you that push to go for it! And btw, the whole myth about the "orange/grey" button isn't true. At least for people who get their results online.

On to the next exam. . .

Hi, thank you so much for this post I can relate to you as that student in pharmacy school. I am definitely the same way and do not usually post in these discussions. But I just want to thank for doing so and you definitely decreased my panic mode because I test in 2 weeks. As far as the math...did you do rxprep and the sdn calculations that people talk about? I have to started math at all so now worried about the math bc I am not too strong on it.

Also, I have been studying and sometimes get bogged down in knowing the details of the drugs, do you think the NAPLEX was detailed in what they were asking or more broad?

Thank you again and appreciate any feedback!

I just did rxprep, but I would of done the SDN calculations as well, I just found out about them late and didn't have time. However, from what I've read on these posts those SDN questions seem pretty helpful. If you have time you should do them just in case because calculations are a big part of the exam.

There were some questions that were pretty general, but some questions did get detailed. The ones that did get detailed are more about drugs that have side effects that "stand-out" among the others.

Hope that helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on passing! For the calculation questions, are they of similar difficulty to RxPrep calculation questions? I've been practicing from RxPrep and they seem too easy lol...way easier than the SDN 120 calculations.

The way SDN phrases the questions are more similar to the Naplex than RxPrep, but SDN was way more detailed. Basically, I'd say if you've mastered SDN, you'll be (over-)prepared. I feel like everyone has a different Naplex experience though, so someone may feel differently.

How many average total calculations questions come in every Naplex exams? I heard some people say that they only got 5 or 6 math calculations questions only. Is this rumor true?

I definitely didn't have 30%, which was kind of disappointing since math is my strong point.

How many average total calculations questions come in every Naplex exams? I heard some people say that they only got 5 or 6 math calculations questions only. Is this rumor true?

I haven't heard of someone that only had 5-6 math questions. A big portion of the exam is usually calculations and are a majority of the reason you pass. I would just say expect a lot of math lol

Hey guys!

On to the next exam. . .
Hey Thanks for the post pharmacymonster! I am in a panic mode right now. i have NAPLEX scheduled in July. But when I took pre-naplex a month ago, without any prep, I scored 33%. I convinced myself telling that I haven't studied a bit. However, now that I started preparing for NAPLEX using RxPrep text and online question bank, it is going very slow. It is taking 3-4 days for a chapter (sucks!). I am currently working and hardly get anytime to study at work furthr, getting tiored when i am home. On the RxPrep online question bank, despite taking it after studying the chapter, I am scoring only 45-65%. Couple of my classmates who did online questions and they said they used to score 60-70% on tests, but their NAPLEX scores were 120-130s. Is that true/normal? I am currently freaking out and I have less than 4 weeks to prep for the test. I would appreciate your suggestions on how to prepare for the test. Please help me!

I was getting ~50%-70% on the RxPrep quizzes and I got a 110. One of my friends took a Naplex prep course and told me that the "check all of the above" questions actually give you partial credit, so that helps a bit. Plus, we don't really know how they weight the questions. So if you only need 60%ish to pass, and you're getting 45-65% without partial credit, I think you'll be okay. Plus, some of the concepts on the questions pop up again on the Naplex, so you'll probably do even better than you think. Just be fresh on the calculations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Thanks for the post pharmacymonster! I am in a panic mode right now. i have NAPLEX scheduled in July. But when I took pre-naplex a month ago, without any prep, I scored 33%. I convinced myself telling that I haven't studied a bit. However, now that I started preparing for NAPLEX using RxPrep text and online question bank, it is going very slow. It is taking 3-4 days for a chapter (sucks!). I am currently working and hardly get anytime to study at work furthr, getting tiored when i am home. On the RxPrep online question bank, despite taking it after studying the chapter, I am scoring only 45-65%. Couple of my classmates who did online questions and they said they used to score 60-70% on tests, but their NAPLEX scores were 120-130s. Is that true/normal? I am currently freaking out and I have less than 4 weeks to prep for the test. I would appreciate your suggestions on how to prepare for the test. Please help me!

I think you will be fine. It's always nerve wrecking to go into a test when you don't feel as prepared as you could be. Even if your scoring in the 45-65% on rxprep work bank make sure you read why you answer the questions wrong so that this way you'll remember it if something similar comes up. Even though you have less than 4 weeks, I think you should continue doing as many topics from the rx prep as you could. Just make sure your familiar with the basic topics, such as hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and etc. (it's stupid to lose points if they come up), and as always make sure you get a LOT of math in....

And maybe take some time off from work? At least while you study? Good luck :)

Thanks for sharing! I don't think Naplex gives you partial credit for the "Check all that apply" questions at least when I called them last week. Doing Rxprep and exam master so we'll definitely post once I take the exam in a few weeks to share thoughts and advice :)

Hello all....I passed NAPLEX and here are my 2 cents for those preparing to take it. I studied RXPrep and also did the test bank. Although I have studied for more than a month, serious/focussed studying was only for about for 2 weeks or even less. Two days before the test date I finished reading all the chapters and did all the test ban questions and the last 2 days I spent revising all the major topics like HTN, HLD, DM, ANTI-INFECTIVES, HIV, ONCOLOGY, PSYCH, BRAND/GENERICS, and CALCULATIONS. I did the RxPrep calculations (both test and test bank) and APhA calculations. I repeated test bank calculations 3times, but the RXprep and APhA only once. I am not very good at math, so I thought I would definetely fail NAPLEX from all the posts reading on this forum. However, it is not that bad. The calculations were definetely 33% of the test, and mine were most of them calculating creatine clearance, BMI, oncology doses (using BSA), and few MEq, Mmol qustions. In the beginning of the test, I thought the math was pretty simple, but towards the end, I had no idea what they were asking for. I spent nearly 15 minutes on one question and then realised there is no point in trying and I am running out of time. I tried doing 120SDN questions, but it was killer for me. I did only some 10-15 questions in that.
To be honest, I was not at all confident walking in and out of the test. I don't say this is a tough exam, it wasn't easy either. Few questions were pretty straight forward and by that I mean, you dont even have to read the question even the patient cases. Few were difficult to understand. I had a lot of questions on compounding as well as herbs. I did review the herbs chapter but the type of questions I got were odd.
I am not a A grade student. I never studied seriously throughout my Pharm School. I would only study to pass. And always would study the night before. I had a hard time focussing to study for NAPLEX and was able to study hardly for an hour or 2 everyday since for 2 months. I never retained anything that I studied. Felt like a crap.
All I can say is, don't get nervous about the test. Put in all your effort, try to study all topics, as you don't know where the questions will be pulled from. definetely study Brand/generics and practice math. But, don't freak out on exam if the math is hard or you don't understand the question, it may be one of those test/unscored questions or may be you were doing well on the test, that you keep seeing tougher ones.
I would recommend RxPrep, and if you can afford test bank as well.
Oh yes, about Pre-naplex, I took it without any prep and I scored 33, on the other hand, my classmates who did the same scored well and I was very worried about my pre-naplex scores. After reading few posts here that people scored 10-20 points higher than their pre-naplex, that freaked me out and I thought I would score the same way and I would fail. however, i did not dare to take it again after actually preparing and not sure how I would have scored if I did. Dont worry about your pre-naplex score, just study and put your effort and sure you will see the result of your hardwork.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all....I passed NAPLEX and here are my 2 cents for those preparing to take it. I studied RXPrep and also did the test bank. Although I have studied for more than a month, serious/focussed studying was only for about for 2 weeks or even less. Two days before the test date I finished reading all the chapters and did all the test ban questions and the last 2 days I spent revising all the major topics like HTN, HLD, DM, ANTI-INFECTIVES, HIV, ONCOLOGY, PSYCH, BRAND/GENERICS, and CALCULATIONS. I did the RxPrep calculations (both test and test bank) and APhA calculations. I repeated test bank calculations 3times, but the RXprep and APhA only once. I am not very good at math, so I thought I would definetely fail NAPLEX from all the posts reading on this forum. However, it is not that bad. The calculations were definetely 33% of the test, and mine were most of them calculating creatine clearance, BMI, oncology doses (using BSA), and few MEq, Mmol qustions. In the beginning of the test, I thought the math was pretty simple, but towards the end, I had no idea what they were asking for. I spent nearly 15 minutes on one question and then realised there is no point in trying and I am running out of time. I tried doing 120SDN questions, but it was killer for me. I did only some 10-15 questions in that.
To be honest, I was not at all confident walking in and out of the test. I don't say this is a tough exam, it wasn't easy either. Few questions were pretty straight forward and by that I mean, you dont even have to read the question even the patient cases. Few were difficult to understand. I had a lot of questions on compounding as well as herbs. I did review the herbs chapter but the type of questions I got were odd.
I am not a A grade student. I never studied seriously throughout my Pharm School. I would only study to pass. And always would study the night before. I had a hard time focussing to study for NAPLEX and was able to study hardly for an hour or 2 everyday since for 2 months. I never retained anything that I studied. Felt like a crap.
All I can say is, don't get nervous about the test. Put in all your effort, try to study all topics, as you don't know where the questions will be pulled from. definetely study Brand/generics and practice math. But, don't freak out on exam if the math is hard or you don't understand the question, it may be one of those test/unscored questions or may be you were doing well on the test, that you keep seeing tougher ones.
I would recommend RxPrep, and if you can afford test bank as well.
Oh yes, about Pre-naplex, I took it without any prep and I scored 33, on the other hand, my classmates who did the same scored well and I was very worried about my pre-naplex scores. After reading few posts here that people scored 10-20 points higher than their pre-naplex, that freaked me out and I thought I would score the same way and I would fail. however, i did not dare to take it again after actually preparing and not sure how I would have scored if I did. Dont worry about your pre-naplex score, just study and put your effort and sure you will see the result of your hardwork.
Good luck!

Scorewaiter!

Congratulations on passing! You are not just done but you are TRULY done. Thank you for the run down on your experience. We all appreciate it here. I took mine yesterday and I don't know how others show up without going through the entire Rrprep book. My exam tested every topic in one way or another. Just like you, my pre-NAPLEX was less than stellar. I took it about a month and a half ago before I had started studying and scored a 67. That's when I knew I had to take this seriously. So now I am waiting. I hope to know by tomorrow. Did you score significantly higher than the pre-NAPLEX? Scores obviously don't matter but passing is passing. It does sound like you truly put in a great deal of effort.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Just took my Naplex today. Barely any calculations on mine, so don't know if that's a good thing haha. Overall, the test was pretty spread out and didn't focus on one subject for too long. Got HIV, seizures, bipolar, schizo, asthma, HTN, HLD, DM, DIs, immunizations, ID, anticoag, couple of questions on sickle cell anemia (?), couple on herbals, couple on compounding. Stats was kind of difficult. Don't know what to expect haha...know your counseling points!!!

Just took my Naplex today. Barely any calculations on mine, so don't know if that's a good thing haha. Overall, the test was pretty spread out and didn't focus on one subject for too long. Got HIV, seizures, bipolar, schizo, asthma, HTN, HLD, DM, DIs, immunizations, ID, anticoag, couple of questions on sickle cell anemia (?), couple on herbals, couple on compounding. Stats was kind of difficult. Don't know what to expect haha...know your counseling points!!!

Movienerd08!

Congrats on getting through the exam. I took mine yesterday, as well. Many report 33% of the exam being calculations. That's 61 calculations. I had about 20. My biostats did not involve any calculations. I was waiting for NNT to come up and never did. Mine were all questions asking for interpretation. The questions included tables with results from studies and you had to interpret. I would say I had 10 of those? They also got progressively harder.

How many calculations did you get? I also did not get any PK. Zero.

Last edited:
I got maybe 15 tops lol. It was weird and they weren't too difficult. I had a percent ionization question which was annoying because I couldn't get the calculator to work properly with the exponent. No PK at all. My biostat situation was exactly the same. No NNT, RR, etc.

I got maybe 15 tops lol. It was weird and they weren't too difficult. I had a percent ionization question which was annoying because I couldn't get the calculator to work properly with the exponent. No PK at all. My biostat situation was exactly the same. No NNT, RR, etc.

Yup, same here. I was counting the math questions and I included even the silly creatine clearance ones. So yes, 20 total. Some people have said they got 10 math questions and I don't think that is possible. I also didn't have any simple topics. My first topic was in fact HIV and second was oncology. It never went below that.

Passed NAPLEX!

Here is how I went about studying for the exam. I used RxPrep and studied for about a month but didn't get serious with 2.5 weeks left. I did all the calculations in the book including the quiz bank for the calculations about 2-3 times and made flash cards for the formulas and studied the formulas pretty much everyday before I went to bed so they would be grilled into my head. I also did the 120 questions about 3 times which I recommend doing because many of the TPN, MEQ, and flow rate problems are very similar. I did struggle with the packet but once I understood how to do the problems it wasn't so bad. I made it all the way to chapter 7o of the book and skipped over the last few chapters which I should not have because I got asked A LOT of skin and glaucoma questions. It's true what they say that NAPLEX will test you on what you did not study and won't test you on what you did study. I studied the hell out of infectious disease and only got 2-3 questions. However, I did have a bunch of HIV and oncology questions. The questions weren't bad. For HIV I would recommend knowing your brand names as well the side effects of each class and for oncology know the toxicities. I did have couple of BSA questions but they were easy. Moreover, I had a bunch of questions on your common disease states such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, heart failure, epilepsy, and asthma. I only had 3 questions from diabetes and maybe 1 or 2 on depression.

My recommendations for studying:
1. Fight the anxiety- I was so nervous about this exam that I could not even sleep for a couple of days leading up to the exam. Even if you are running low on time, I would recommend to go see a movie or have dinner with your friends or family just to keep your sanity.
2. Know calculations and STATS- I had a bunch of STAT questions which included NNT, ARR, RRR, confidence intervals, discrete and continuous parameters, etc. DO NOT SKIP the STATS chapter. If you have access to the lectures for RxPrep I would recommend watching them for this part of the exam because they do a great job of teaching it and then do the quiz bank for this section because it will help reiterate all the main points.
3. For each disease state I would focus on the generic/brand names, indication, main boxed warnings/side effects, MOA, and counseling points. I know the book as a lot of information but if you focus on the main points you will be fine. I did not use the quiz banks for all the disease state chapters because I feel I was not learning the material. Every time I would re-take the quizzes I would just memorize the answer so I stopped doing the quiz bank and just focused on the book.
4. Go through the drug formulations and drug interaction chapters in the RxPrep book because it has a good list of important of formulations, inducers, and inhibitors. Those two chapters did help me on the exam.

Lastly, I did not do the Pre-Naplex because I felt that would just stress me out. Do get a good night's rest if you are taking the exam in the morning and remember to hydrate and have a small snack with you during your break.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Passed NAPLEX!

Here is how I went about studying for the exam. I used RxPrep and studied for about a month but didn't get serious with 2.5 weeks left. I did all the calculations in the book including the quiz bank for the calculations about 2-3 times and made flash cards for the formulas and studied the formulas pretty much everyday before I went to bed so they would be grilled into my head. I also did the 120 questions about 3 times which I recommend doing because many of the TPN, MEQ, and flow rate problems are very similar. I did struggle with the packet but once I understood how to do the problems it wasn't so bad. I made it all the way to chapter 7o of the book and skipped over the last few chapters which I should not have because I got asked A LOT of skin and glaucoma questions. It's true what they say that NAPLEX will test you on what you did not study and won't test you on what you did study. I studied the hell out of infectious disease and only got 2-3 questions. However, I did have a bunch of HIV and oncology questions. The questions weren't bad. For HIV I would recommend knowing your brand names as well the side effects of each class and for oncology know the toxicities. I did have couple of BSA questions but they were easy. Moreover, I had a bunch of questions on your common disease states such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, heart failure, epilepsy, and asthma. I only had 3 questions from diabetes and maybe 1 or 2 on depression.

My recommendations for studying:
1. Fight the anxiety- I was so nervous about this exam that I could not even sleep for a couple of days leading up to the exam. Even if you are running low on time, I would recommend to go see a movie or have dinner with your friends or family just to keep your sanity.
2. Know calculations and STATS- I had a bunch of STAT questions which included NNT, ARR, RRR, confidence intervals, discrete and continuous parameters, etc. DO NOT SKIP the STATS chapter. If you have access to the lectures for RxPrep I would recommend watching them for this part of the exam because they do a great job of teaching it and then do the quiz bank for this section because it will help reiterate all the main points.
3. For each disease state I would focus on the generic/brand names, indication, main boxed warnings/side effects, MOA, and counseling points. I know the book as a lot of information but if you focus on the main points you will be fine. I did not use the quiz banks for all the disease state chapters because I feel I was not learning the material. Every time I would re-take the quizzes I would just memorize the answer so I stopped doing the quiz bank and just focused on the book.

Lastly, I did not do the Pre-Naplex because I felt that would just stress me out. Do get a good night's rest if you are taking the exam in the morning and remember to hydrate and have a small snack with you during your break.

Good luck everyone!

HE15MAN!

Congrats on passing and thank your sharing such a detailed account of your experience. We all appreciate it. It does sound like you rocked it. Would you share how many calculations total do you think you got? Again, it sounds like you killed this exam and I can't help but ask what your score is. Please share only if you're comfortable with that.

Best,

Apotheker2015

HE15MAN!

Congrats on passing and thank your sharing such a detailed account of your experience. We all appreciate it. It does sound like you rocked it. Would you share how many calculations total do you think you got? Again, it sounds like you killed this exam and I can't help but ask what your score is. Please share only if you're comfortable with that.

Best,

Apotheker2015
I would say I got around 25-30 calculations questions and about 8-10 questions on STATS. I had a great deal of TPN and flow rates questions, few Crcl and ANC questions. Can't remember a whole lot but the quiz bank and the 120 questions are for sure enough. I did not score as well as I would like did not even make the triple digits for the amount I studied but, that's because I did not study all the small chapters which was a bad idea because I got grilled on those. Also I forgot to mention on my post that the drug interaction and drug formulation chapters in the RxPrep are a must know! I'm glad I looked through those chapters again before my exam.

I would say I got around 25-30 calculations questions and about 8-10 questions on STATS. I had a great deal of TPN and flow rates questions, few Crcl and ANC questions. Can't remember a whole lot but the quiz bank and the 120 questions are for sure enough. I did not score as well as I would like did not even make the triple digits for the amount I studied but, that's because I did not study all the small chapters which was a bad idea because I got grilled on those. Also I forgot to mention on my post that the drug interaction and drug formulation chapters in the RxPrep are a must know! I'm glad I looked through those chapters again before my exam.

Around what time did you get your score? I took mine Tuesday and I'm still waiting. Most of my friends found out around noontime.

Around what time did you get your score? I took mine Tuesday and I'm still waiting. Most of my friends found out around noontime.
I took mine Wednesday and am getting nervous. Everyone else I know got it by 1PM EST. I'm freaking out. It also seemed like I got way more oddball questions and topics than my peers. I'm losing confidence by the minute

Star, I took my NAPLEX on Tuesday as well and I have not received a score yet either. As such, I am thoroughly freaking out about it too.

Star, I took my NAPLEX on Tuesday as well and I have not received a score yet either. As such, I am thoroughly freaking out about it too.

I'm freaking out too and my poor family is worried about me as well because I have been walking around all depressed for the past few days. I thought it was very difficult and I was counting on calculations but I only got 10-15 questions and most of them were difficult. I also had a lot of biostats, herbals, compounding and a few other small topics. I think I failed unless a miracle happens

I'm freaking out too and my poor family is worried about me as well because I have been walking around all depressed for the past few days. I thought it was very difficult and I was counting on calculations but I only got 10-15 questions and most of them were difficult. I also had a lot of biostats, herbals, compounding and a few other small topics. I think I failed unless a miracle happens

I'm right there with you. I really feel like I did not do well on my test at all. There were a few questions sprinkled through that I knew I got right, but I was really caught off guard with a bunch of Arthritis, Lupus, and other Autoimmune disease questions. My friends keep trying to calm my nerves but they all received their scores within 2-3days (they didn't take it when I did). It's extremely difficult to focus on work right now when I keep checking for my score every 30min. I'm not sure what the hold up with Tuesday's scores is, but it is reassuring to know that it's not just mine.

I'm right there with you. I really feel like I did not do well on my test at all. There were a few questions sprinkled through that I knew I got right, but I was really caught off guard with a bunch of Arthritis, Lupus, and other Autoimmune disease questions. My friends keep trying to calm my nerves but they all received their scores within 2-3days (they didn't take it when I did). It's extremely difficult to focus on work right now when I keep checking for my score every 30min. I'm not sure what the hold up with Tuesday's scores is, but it is reassuring to know that it's not just mine.

I think we may have to wait till Monday now:/

I took mine Wednesday and am getting nervous. Everyone else I know got it by 1PM EST. I'm freaking out. It also seemed like I got way more oddball questions and topics than my peers. I'm losing confidence by the minute

Have you gotten your score yet? I also took it on Wednesday...

Have you gotten your score yet? I also took it on Wednesday...
I have not gotten it yet. All my friends who took it in previous weeks had heard within 2 business days in the AM...I'm really really really worried now. Like a previous poster, my test was filled with crazy autoimmune disease questions (lupus?!) and tons of HIV. I had the most random types of questions--more than many of my friends who had taken it. I'm worried that this delay is a sign that I'm in the minority of failing test takers

I have not gotten it yet. All my friends who took it in previous weeks had heard within 2 business days in the AM...I'm really really really worried now. Like a previous poster, my test was filled with crazy autoimmune disease questions (lupus?!) and tons of HIV. I had the most random types of questions--more than many of my friends who had taken it. I'm worried that this delay is a sign that I'm in the minority of failing test takers

Hi, I'm in Tx and I tested Wed no scores yet. No one I know that tested Wed has received there score yet. I got weird questions too, very little more common topics like HTN, DM, Thyroid. I got blasted by HIV/Cancer/MS/lupus too and all out random crap. I'm hoping to pass and move forward. I wouldn't worry toooo much (I know I feel anxious a little too about it)...breathe and we will know our result when everything is out.

Hi, I'm in Tx and I tested Wed no scores yet. No one I know that tested Wed has received there score yet. I got weird questions too, very little more common topics like HTN, DM, Thyroid. I got blasted by HIV/Cancer/MS/lupus too and all out random crap. I'm hoping to pass and move forward. I wouldn't worry toooo much (I know I feel anxious a little too about it)...breathe and we will know our result when everything is out.

Sounds like our test was VERY similar. SOOOO much HIV, MS, Onc! Not basic stuff either. Crossing my fingers for a 75...

Does that mean we have to wait til Monday? I can't suffer like this through the weekend...

Goodfellas,

a delay just means they are busy. I am waiting for my result, as well. I took mine on Tuesday and planned it that way in order to give NABP and my state's board of pharmacy enough time to release the score. Well, no such luck. So now... we wait...

Last edited:
Apothekar,Good luck,How many weeks you studied for MPJE.Any practice test you used.

Apothekar,Good luck,How many weeks you studied for MPJE.Any practice test you used.

Hey Rxbud,

I am just going to paste a detailed response I gave to someone a few days ago. Here you go.
"I took the MPJE and passed. It was an 80 but hey, it's passing. My best recommendation for you is to read the MPJE blueprint that is on the NABP website. It will taste rather generic the first time you go through it. It is not until you read it a second time that you will notice that it spells out very specific things that they are looking for. One of the competencies is to know how to handle prescriptions from a deceased physician or how to handle customized packaging. Had I not read the blueprint I would have never thought about those two competencies and of course, I am using them as a fictitious example. Thus, the blueprint provides good thinking points and it can help you focus your studying.
Unlike most people, I also started with state law instead of federal law. I did that because state law already incorporates federal law and when state law differs from federal, state law statutes explicitly say "On this rule, we defer to federal law". I did go through the "Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law" book before the test and did the 300 questions on it.

Make sure no one can trick you on concentration limits for C-III, C-IV and C-Vs. I am referring to page 174 of the blue book “Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law". For example: page 173, (2) "CIII compounds cannot contain more than 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 mL or not more than 90 mg per dosage unit, with one or more active, non-narcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts (e.g., Tylenol w/codeine, Empirin w/ Codeine)." "Note Tip: Note that with the exception of opium and morphine, quantities of drugs listed in the above section as schedule III substances are all evenly divisible by THREE. This may be helpful if you are asked to determine the schedule of a compounded product".

If you were to be tested on this, it would make sense that you would not be asked for the actual cutoff. So you have to have the cut off memorized in case you're asked to determine the schedule of a compound that contains 1.7 g of codeine per 100 mL which is not divisible by 3. OR they can easily say "determine the schedule of a compound that contains 1.9 g of codeine per 100 mL" and in this case again, you would need to know the cutoff because at that concentration that compound becomes a C-II.

I also used the Survey of Pharmacy Law CD published by NABP. It’s $197 dollars and we got it for free from our school. The CD points out unique facts about each state law. For example: On the issue of counseling requirements, it answers for all 50 states a series of questions whether Medicaid patients, new prescriptions etc, require counseling by state law. The caveat to the CD is that it addresses each issue at a time and answers each question for all 50 states. It’s a headache to read it but if you have a couple of hours to extract the facts specific to your state, then you will have a nice outline that you can add details to later.

You’re probably thinking “all that work and all you got was an 80”. Well, yes, however, I should point out, though, the key point here is that I recognized that I needed to do twice as much to pass. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have. I felt my knowledge was nowhere it should be. Therefore, I went ahead and purchased the MPJE prep from Rxprep which included 5 lectures and a booklet. Yes, I went through the lectures and did all their practice questions. That should tell you how weak I was in law.

I really recommend going through the blueprint. It helped me think of scenarios and most importantly, the objectives/competencies helped me focus my studying. I would also check your state’s board of pharmacy website and look through their General Facts. I found great Q&As there and those came in handy later. My state’s board of pharmacy even has a “law review recommendations” section. Yours might too. That saved me a lot of time. It meant not having to read a good number of pages.

Definitely go through the DEA Pharmacist manual. (It's a fast read) The DEA also has a nice Q&A that discusses the DEA 222 form and its nuances. That was very helpful to me. Here is the link: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/dea222.htm

I also looked at the document: “Poison Prevention Packaging Act: A guide for healthcare professionals”. I would not focus on the household cleaning items. Think more in terms of stuff a mother would buy from a pharmacy for heachaches, or daily aspirin or her RX prednisone, etc. Here is the link:https://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/113945/384.pdf

Again, I knew law was my weakest and that’s why I studied for 2.5 weeks instead of the standard 1 week (or less… ) you hear most people do. I was one of those who got into pharmacy school not knowing what Lisinopril was. I am not kidding. I come from a family of athletes. All I ever saw at home was multivitamins and supplements. I did, however, have extensive research experience in 3 areas, killed the PCAT and had a solid GPA from a big 10 school. In spite of all that, I had never set a foot in a pharmacy. To make matters worse, my school’s pharmacy law course was a disaster and I really did not learn a thing.

My best and final recommendation is that you make sure that you are able to separate what the law requires vs. the policy of the company/pharmacy where you work. A good and obvious example is that federal law and most states allow C-IIs to be dispersed through the inventory to deter diversion and theft. However, we all know most company policies require C-IIs to always be kept in a safe .

I apologize for the lengthy response. If you read this far, I hope you find some of these pointers helpful.

Best,

Apotheker2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great post How did I miss this.
You are a pro Bro.Thanks for post.You are really amazing@@@ I got my Naplex scores last week.If a idiot like me can pass I can imagine a genius Like YOU would score in 100's///
Best of luck!!!

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great post How did I miss this.
You are a pro Bro.Thanks for post.You are really amazing@@@ I got my Naplex scores last week.If a idiot like me can pass I can imagine a genius Like YOU would score in 100's///
Best of luck!!!

LOL, no genius here. Hopefully, you find those pointers useful. Again, I did that much because I had zero clue about law. The exam was not hard. I would say what makes it *hard* is how vague it is. It is also poorly written. I remember that at one point a question was missing a verb. I read the question multiples times and yes, the question did not have a verb. I figured it was an experimental question and moved on.

How did the NAPLEX go for you? Care to share your score and a bit of your experience?

Best,

Apotheker2015

Congrats!!! I passed too!! So happy the wait is over

Congrats, Star2015!

This must be such a relief! Can you tell us more about your experience? How many math questions and what kind of topics were prominent on your test? I took it on Tuesday and still waiting for my score. What did you score? You can share only if comfortable.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Hi Apotheker,
I had about 15 maths,More HIV,Anti Infectives,Cancer loads of side effects,Lots of drug interactions.Autoimmune disorders,Biostats.
Exam was pretty average to easy.
But those 2 days of wait period was hard.
I felt good after the test,when I came back home my mind was wondering on things if I did right or wrong.
But for me doing 120 Maths was golden.
I trusted RXPREP quiz bank so much.
Had an average of 70-80's in Quiz bank, Maths was in 90's.
I took prenaplex of RXPREP 185 Q got 76% Thought its fine I should go ahead now with scheduling for test.
I think 120 Maths and Quiz bank pulled me to passing scores
All the best!!!
I am sure of your success.
Update when they publish scores!!!

Hi Apotheker,
I had about 15 maths,More HIV,Anti Infectives,Cancer loads of side effects,Lots of drug interactions.Autoimmune disorders,Biostats.
Exam was pretty average to easy.
But those 2 days of wait period was hard.
I felt good after the test,when I came back home my mind was wondering on things if I did right or wrong.
But for me doing 120 Maths was golden.
I trusted RXPREP quiz bank so much.
Had an average of 70-80's in Quiz bank, Maths was in 90's.
I took prenaplex of RXPREP 185 Q got 76% Thought its fine I should go ahead now with scheduling for test.
I think 120 Maths and Quiz bank pulled me to passing scores
All the best!!!
I am sure of your success.
Update when they publish scores!!!

Rxbud,

how's studying for the MPJE going? When did you schedule it for? Do you have the Survey of Pharmacy Law CD?

Best,

Apotheker2015

Congrats, Star2015!

This must be such a relief! Can you tell us more about your experience? How many math questions and what kind of topics were prominent on your test? I took it on Tuesday and still waiting for my score. What did you score? You can share only if comfortable.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Apothekar,

I had about 10-15 math questions and some were a little tough. My topics were very spread out. I had HIV,ID, oncology, biostatistics, OTC, epilepsy, RA, immunizations, MS, and compounding. I would never recommend skipping the small chapters because I had a lot of questions from those too. I definitely felt like I failed when I walked out. I was rushing through the entire exam because I thought I would have more calculations at the end but I did not. I had almost 40 minutes left over. I ended up passing with a 108. I'm not sure how they grade but I was shocked to see my score. I wouldn't worry too much about not passing unless you guessed on everything. Seems like you can miss a lot and still pass. Good luck and I hope to hear that you passed as well. Now onto MPJE for me!

Apothekar,

I had about 10-15 math questions and some were a little tough. My topics were very spread out. I had HIV,ID, oncology, biostatistics, OTC, epilepsy, RA, immunizations, MS, and compounding. I would never recommend skipping the small chapters because I had a lot of questions from those too. I definitely felt like I failed when I walked out. I was rushing through the entire exam because I thought I would have more calculations at the end but I did not. I had almost 40 minutes left over. I ended up passing with a 108. I'm not sure how they grade but I was shocked to see my score. I wouldn't worry too much about not passing unless you guessed on everything. Seems like you can miss a lot and still pass. Good luck and I hope to hear that you passed as well. Now onto MPJE for me!

Star2015,

thank you for your response! I appreciate it. I get to wait another 48 hours for my results. I hope it all goes fine so I can go get a real paycheck. To tell you that I am broke would be an understatement. I'm sure you have a good plan for the MPJE. But if you want to know what I did for my humble score of 80, scroll up a few posts and you will see my response to Rxbud.

Best of luck!

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Star2015,

thank you for your response! I appreciate it. I get to wait another 48 hours for my results. I hope it all goes fine so I can go get a real paycheck. To tell you that I am broke would be an understatement. I'm sure you have a good plan for the MPJE. But if you want to know what I did for my humble score of 80, scroll up a few posts and you will see my response to Rxbud.

Best of luck!

Apotheker2015

Dear SDN colleagues,

I PASSED!!! LOL

Best,

Apotheker2015

Reactions: 1 users