I really don't want to get an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You say you're good at math. Do you like engineering? If you do, that could be a compromise. Your parents are obviously prestige ****** and engineering is still pretty prestigious and employable.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall saying anything about biostatisticians other then I dont know anything about them...

You are going to need to brush up on your interviewing skills when it comes to crunch time. Good luck.

My parents were blackmailing me into doing electrical engineering. They wouldn't pay for my expensive private school unless I kept an engineering major. I transferred universities back into my state, got a job at a lab and moved out of my parent's house into an apartment with roommates so I could do biology for my undergrad. In the end, after you hit 18, your parents can't make you do something. Do what you want. They'll get over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's times like this I appreciate the fact that my parents aren't the authoritarian type.I just told them one day I wanted to be a doctor and they basically said whatever.

My parents were blackmailing me into doing electrical engineering. They wouldn't pay for my expensive private school unless I kept an engineering major. I transferred universities back into my state, got a job at a lab and moved out of my parent's house into an apartment with roommates so I could do biology for my undergrad. In the end, after you hit 18, your parents can't make you do something. Do what you want. They'll get over it.
What's with all the blackmailing? Is this the norm for some people?

Hi.

My parents somehow blackmailed me into doing premed, so by the end of this semester, I'll have taken a semester of bio (out of 4 courses required) and a semester of chemistry.

I have no motivation at all to keep doing this. The classes are extremely boring, I'm not good at chemistry or biology (my major is psychology, which is interesting. I've always been good at math, so I may do a double major if I choose to give up premed). However, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'd have to stay for five years to do my double major. The simpler solution would be to do orgo next year along with some bio classes, take calculus and physics my senior year, study for MCAT and do some research internships during my gap year, and go to med school.

I really have no motivation to do that. Both of my parents are doctors, so I've assumed that I'd become a doctor when the time comes. during high school, i took AP Chem and had some doubts that i want to be a doctor. The next year I took AP Bio, and that made me sure that I did not want to be a doctor.

I find math to be really fascinating, its various properties of numbers, how it applies to many facets of our lives. Even if I am not good enough to go into research, i can find employment across a variety of industries.

What should I do?

I was in a similar situation, except reversed. I am a Psychology major who hated natural sciences and now I love them, am taking all the prerequisites for medical school, and will be graduating 2 semesters later, thus delaying admission to med school. However, it's the best decision I've ever made. Point is -- do what YOU want, not what your parents want, and especially not what your peers tell you that you can or cannot do. You'll have a great career in mathematics or psychology, whichever career path you choose (hey, you could combine them!). Your parents will understand.

I call it foreign parent syndrome.

lol When I was little I asked my grandparents if I could one day be the President. They told me "no, you're going to be a doctor."

Eventually I came to the decision on my own but FPS definitely exists haha

a wise man once told me that skill for math automatically disqualifies you from being a doctor. :D

you should consider switching to engineering.

Last edited:
We don't have such problems in poor white trash land. I don't even think my father knows how a university works. If I told him I was majoring in English he'd probably think I was guaranteed a job as a writer or something. Actually, he'd probably lift his glasses up and sarcastically say: "well look at that, we got ourselves a Bill Shakespeare over there."

His job is to wipe mud on walls (drywall).

Hi.

My parents somehow blackmailed me into doing premed, so by the end of this semester, I'll have taken a semester of bio (out of 4 courses required) and a semester of chemistry.

I have no motivation at all to keep doing this. The classes are extremely boring, I'm not good at chemistry or biology (my major is psychology, which is interesting. I've always been good at math, so I may do a double major if I choose to give up premed). However, I'm at the end of my sophomore year, and I'd have to stay for five years to do my double major. The simpler solution would be to do orgo next year along with some bio classes, take calculus and physics my senior year, study for MCAT and do some research internships during my gap year, and go to med school.

I really have no motivation to do that. Both of my parents are doctors, so I've assumed that I'd become a doctor when the time comes. during high school, i took AP Chem and had some doubts that i want to be a doctor. The next year I took AP Bio, and that made me sure that I did not want to be a doctor.

I find math to be really fascinating, its various properties of numbers, how it applies to many facets of our lives. Even if I am not good enough to go into research, i can find employment across a variety of industries.

What should I do?

This is how I felt about engineering. My parents forced me to do engineering, so I ended up doing biomed engineering and they still didn't recognize that as real engineering. I want to be a doctor and have wanted to for so long. Its not that parents are needed, but it is counter productive, and straining to have family that goes against your ideas, than casually blows off everything you say. The bottom line is you only live once and you need to do what you need to do. You should be in it for you, and not the dreams of others. Lots of folks say you don't need parents for this and that, but things are so much easier when people support and believe in your ideas, and push you to the fullest.

Haha make it all the way to plastic surgery residency than have some guy slam your hand in the door like on Nip/Tuck with that young "Doogie Howser" Raj.

Good luck.

Hi.

What should I do?

You like math. MATH. That's f- amazing. There's a million jobs that require math skills and not nearly that many people who can even tolerate math enough to train for them. Engineering. Statistics (accurats are incredibly paid). Accounting. Math is a gold mine.

If your parents are like most parents they pushed you towards premedicine because it was safe. They were smart enough to know that there were a whole lot of people that stumble into useless majors in art history or communications and graduate with nothing but a worthless diploma, an ocean of debt, and a bad relationship with alcohol. They figured it was better to push you in a direction that you didn't seem to like than to end up with that (and they were right) . However, if you go to them and give them a 4 year plan that reliably leads to a stable, high paying career path I think you'll probably be able to convince them that engineering, accounting, or whatever is a reasonable alternative to medicine. Heck, if you factor in student debt and the opportunity cost of medical school and residency a career in engineering probably pays more.

And if you can't convince them, well, its your life. Do what you think will make you happy.

Haha make it all the way to plastic surgery residency than have some guy slam your hand in the door like on Nip/Tuck with that young "Doogie Howser" Raj.

Good luck.

Lesson for the day: If you're planning on a procedural specialty like surgery, anesthestia, or EM you need to carry disability insurance. Really everyone should have it, but especially those specialties.

Last edited:
Dear OP,

You're in a tough situation. There isn't a simple, easy solution. I don't envy you in the least--you're facing a number of difficult decisions.

What I do know, is that you're the only one who can make the choice. I'd imagine you're feeling pretty powerless right now. It's no fun at all being backed into a corner. Remember: even though all of your choices are lousy, they are still choices. When you feel helpless, remember that you are the one who gets to make the choice.

Not your parents.

Not people on an internet message board.

You.

And you know what? You don't have to decide right now. You can *choose* to decide later. ;)

Hang in there, and good luck. I know you'll make the right choice, no matter what you decide.